Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bear1973

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
...running 10.5, will it come with install disks that will allow me to upgrade my iMac, which is still running 10.4?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The restore CDs are model specific. If you use them on a different model, it has been my experience you will get a kernel panic.

You need to buy the Leopard retail DVD to upgrade your other Mac.

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
this is correct. the gray discs that come with a new mac are specific to that model line, the leopard retail discs look different (space themed.)

its also against Apples license agreement :)
(but i think many people are guilty of breaking this clause!)

bear1973

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Thanks...

Thanks.... was just wondering.

Anyway, I'm going to wait till August in the hope that Apple will release an aluminum encased, LED, backlit keyboard MacBook. It's time to replace my just about five-year old Powerbook G4 Al 1 Ghz, which has served me very well and keeps on ticking.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Thanks.... was just wondering.

Anyway, I'm going to wait till August in the hope that Apple will release an aluminum encased, LED, backlit keyboard MacBook. It's time to replace my just about five-year old Powerbook G4 Al 1 Ghz, which has served me very well and keeps on ticking.

The sad thing is your PowerBook will still have a better GPU than the new MacBooks.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
this is correct. the gray discs that come with a new mac are specific to that model line, the leopard retail discs look different (space themed.)

its also against Apples license agreement :)
(but i think many people are guilty of breaking this clause!)
Agreed on the second point.

You *may* get a leopard drop-in disc if you buy a refurb that originally had tiger. That you could use (not model-specific), but, well, there's that license problem. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.