Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone 3G will be encased in environmentally-friendly packaging according to a Dutch blog and translated by The Register.

The report suggests that Apple has contracted Dutch company PaperFoam to create the insert which holds the iPhone. The insert would be 100% recyclable and made from natural resources, either potato starch or Tapioca starch.

The company has been previously contracted by Apple to make foam inserts for the 5G iPod and second generation Nano.

132712-Apple-Video_01-Thumb.jpg

Image Courtesy PaperFoam.com
Apple has stepped up efforts to make its product packaging environmentally friendly over the years, primarily by reducing the packaging size as much as possible to reduce their footprint in landfills. More information regarding Apple's environmental policy is available on Apple's website.

Article Link

sebimeyer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
The smaller the packaging, the more of their Widgets can fit on a shipping container and the more they can fit onto shelves in their stores, or store storage rooms. This translates into both cheaper transport, as well as saved fuels.

It's a win/win for Apple.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Good stuff!

Now get rid of all the nasty chemicals inside the iPhone and I'll be happy :cool:

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
They said fully recyclable, not 100% biodegradable! :)

Oooohhhh.... biodegradable would be cool!

Or better yet...EDIBLE packaging! Once you open it, you can eat it! Waste is then dealt with in an all new way... :D

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
How stupid.

Apple packaging never makes it to a landfill, as evidenced by all the picture threads of the box collections that some people have.

And yes, I'm one of them. :p

iPhone
Mini G4
iPod Shuffle
.Mac
iWork 08
OS X Leopard
Airport Extreme
Wireless Keyboard

Hey Steve, release a new Mini so I can add a box to the shelf!

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
The company has been previously contracted by Apple to make foam inserts for the 5G iPod and second generation nano.

The second generation nano had a plastic box with no foam inserts. I think you mean the first generation nano, as shown in the pictures on their website.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
So let me get this right... Mr. Jobs claimed that the new iMac's went to Aluminum, because its more eco-friendly (e.g recycling). However, with the new iPhone, they went away from Aluminum, a material by Apple own admission is easier to recycle, to a less friendly plastic material. So, yes they very well might have a better packaging scheme, but they have a less environmentally conscious design as well.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So let me get this right... Mr. Jobs claimed that the new iMac's went to Aluminum, because its more eco-friendly (e.g recycling). However, with the new iPhone, they went away from Aluminum, a material by Apple own admission is easier to recycle, to a less friendly plastic material. So, yes they very well might have a better packaging scheme, but they have a less environmentally conscious design as well.

Well there is a difference. The aluminum back on the 3G iPhone was scrapped because aluminum weakens the cell signal and especially causes interference with the 3G antenna. It's not unlike the poor Wi-Fi reception of the original TiBooks. The metal case killed the Wi-Fi signal. So while Apple is trying to be enviro-conscious they aren't going to do so at the expense of their own business when there is an acceptable alternative (plastic).

ben5959

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

cares!

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

cares!

We all should. And we should insist this from all companies. Granted Apple's green track record is pretty spotty, but at least they are making some changes.

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
mmmm

Potato and Tapioca starch???

I might have to buy an iPhone 3G just to taste this delicious packaging!!

**drool**

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
i for one do not care about eco-friendly crap...

in my chemistry lab, i poor down heavy metals in the drain because i dont give a crap

and all you tree huggers can hate me for it

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
i for one do not care about eco-friendly crap...

in my chemistry lab, i poor down heavy metals in the drain because i dont give a crap

and all you tree huggers can hate me for it

A) Your an idiot

B) Pouring them down the drain is what they want you to do. It gets treated that way. We got that lesson the first day at Hippy Univeristy in Chem. The waste treatment plant specifically asked for it that way.

SamWhittaker

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
Warrington, UK
It's nice to see Apple going along with the times, being Green is nice for their PR.

I can see them competing to get up Greenpeace's Green Tech. Companies :D

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
A) Your an idiot

B) Pouring them down the drain is what they want you to do. It gets treated that way. We got that lesson the first day at Hippy Univeristy in Chem. The waste treatment plant specifically asked for it that way.

you're a crappy chemist. you don't follow protocols. something will blow up in your face one day.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Nice to know it's eco-friendly.

Unfortunately, I keep all the boxes of everything I buy (especially Apple...simple design, but it's like art). :)

airlights

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Henderson, NV
That's pretty neat actually... but I never throw out my Apple packaging. I am sure I still have my 6GB Green iPod mini box somewhere around my house. Heh.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
You're. :rolleyes:

Thanks for doing your part to raise fuel prices and drive another 30,000,000 people into poverty with increased food prices, Apple! Let's just keep using food to do oil's job.

I hope you're joking.. Haha increased food prices. Mmm potato and Tapioca starch..

:rolleyes: "Oil's Job" is an incredibly recent thing and we need to cut down on it as much as possible. However much there is left is irrelevent, if we're exhausting it on totally pointless crap that's totally irresponsible and wrong. We might well need it for something important later.. Our dependance on oil has to be decreased in any way possible.

Potatoes and Tapioca are easily renewable at least. Also give farmers more to work with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.