Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
Hello everyone! I need some help...

I replaced the HD in the 12-inch powerbook today (7K60 7200RPM 60GB if you want to know, very quiet & fast!!! - it's freakin' shweet)

I then formatted the drive and installed the DVD that came with brother's 15-inch Powerbook that contains Panther. (I only had Jagwire)

Now, here is the problem...

after installing the OS onto the HD, some of the keys do not work anymore!

well, the work, but do really weird things!

The following keys do not work...

right arrow
up arrow
button to left of "1"
button to left of "z"
F12
Media eject key
button to right of "p"

I am going to press each of the above keys in order to show you what i get back...

8ik,
9ol.\
3edc§
2wsx`

That's it!!! I don't have a clue what's going on... does the 15-incher and the 12-incher have different keyboards or something?

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
all I can think of is maybe a pram zap will help. its a very odd problem to have thats for sure.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
how do i zap the pram again?

I think I might have to format, install jaguar, upgrade to Panther!

if that's the case, it's going to be a long night ahead of me...

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
try 10 times. if that doesn't work then I have no idea what to try next. have you tried changing the keyboard language and then changing it back?

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
ten!!?!?... I'm scared

ten times??? wow, i don't think that it will make a difference but i will give it a go...

it definitely has something to do with the backlit keyboard on my bro's 15-inch... it's backlit and all... they are just different! although... maybe there isn't a difference!!! ah, I'm scared I screwed up the keyboard...

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
if ten tiems does not work then I'm going for the reinstall of jaguar... I suppose it doesn't take that long anyways... esp if I customize the installation and don't install all those random languages and printer drivers!

cheers!

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
you can't screw up a keyboard by installing an os. maybe its a firmware issue or something. i'm out of ideas. sorry :(

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
MAYBE i short cicuited some of the keys ??? I don't know either... I'm all out of ideas too...

I guess what you are saying is right... you can't mess up a keyboard by istalling as os... but the disc I used was specifically for 15 and 17-inch powerbook.. not 12 -inch... I have to everythin possible... thanks for the help !!! man...

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
you're welcome. wish I knew more but I don't even have a powerbook or laptop of any kind, just my trusty ol' powermac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.