PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning iBook keyboard

dcx3
Jul 1, 2008, 02:39 PM
Have had my iBook for over 5 years now, and she has a dirty keyboard... I have a cat and I try to vacuum the keyboard to get the cat hair out..but it tends to get hooked on all the keys and then sticks up and doesnt get sucked into the vacuum. Does anybody else have this issue when cleaning the keyboard? I know this probably sounds odd.

Would like to know if anybody has any tips on how to clean the keyboard successfully of all cat hair lol. thanks!

Chandler Adaway
Jul 1, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hm.
I guess you could try tape?

I imagine that your keyboard is pretty dirty with a yellow tint as well if you are letting your cat on it.

Try a Magic eraser.
They clean the keyboards very well.

Good luck.

dcx3
Jul 1, 2008, 02:53 PM
lol, I should clarify. She doesnt go onto the keyboard, but somehow - maybe with the fans blowing? - he hair and even human hair is under the keys. Its hard to describe if you cant remember the older ibook keyboards. The keys arent yellow, they are still same color as they were when i bought it. I wash it wish those erasers every few months and it keeps it nice and clean. I can get dirt and dust just fine when i vacuum but just not hair. The keyboard is not like the newer macbooks or even the G4 ibooks - its the kind with the tabs at the top that you can pop it off to insert the airport card and its all in one piece.

techound1
Jul 1, 2008, 04:51 PM
I used to refurb those and you have the one nasty thing that just requires time :eek:. I finally found that a parts cleaning brush (looks like a big, fat, round paintbrush) had bristles stiff enough to get under and hook the hair and yet soft enough not to scratch and pop the darned keys off. It will still take time, but will save having to try and pick them all out.

dcains
Jul 2, 2008, 03:04 AM
I recently bought a brand new 12" iBook G4 keyboard on eBay for <$25 shipped. Feels so much nicer than my old, worn out one, along with looking new. It's an easy install.

tbohlsennswssrg
Jul 2, 2008, 03:27 AM
Part 1 Battery (product details: IF183-031)

a) Use a coin or flathead screwdriver to rotate the battery locking screw 90 degrees clockwise.
b) Lift the battery out of the computer.

Part 2 Keyboard (product details: IF183-029)

a) Pull the keyboard release tabs toward you and lift up on the keyboard until it pops free.

Note: If the keyboard does not come free, use a small flathead screwdriver to turn the keyboard locking screw 180 degrees in either direction and try again.

b) Flip the keyboard over, away from the screen, and rest it face-down on the trackpad area.

Note: If the computer has an AirPort card installed, follow the next three steps to remove it.

c) Push the wire clasp away from the AirPort card and toward the display, then rotate up to free it from the RAM shield.

d) Grasp the clear plastic tab on the AirPort card and pull toward the display.

e) Hold the Airport card in one hand and use your other hand to remove the antenna cable.

f) Remove the four silver Phillips screws that secure the RAM shield.

g) Grasp the metal bracket on top of the RAM shield and pull upward to remove the shield.

h) Pull the keyboard cable up from the logic board, holding the cable as close to the connector as possible.

i) Make sure that you reconnect the keyboard cable before replacing the RAM shield.

You have successfully removed the Keyboard. To reassemble your laptop, simply follow the directions in reverse order.