Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
"Nvidia Setup could not find any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware" is what it says to some extent.

I made a virtual desktop with WMWare Fusion. I got most other things installed, but it refuses to install a Nvidia driver. I tried all of them on the leopard disc. When I used boot camp it could use the mobilevista64 driver, but not here.

stupid windows install some default driver, and it wont recognizes anything I throw at it. I even tried downloading custom laptop drivers from latop drivers 2 go website, but with no luck.

When I tried to analyse my graphics card in gpu-z the program crashed.

sigh... it makes me furious. i enabled 3d acceleration graphics in the preference menu in fusion, and all that stuff. it just wont install does bloddy drivers. it says even if i go in manually and update from control panal > monitor > screen resolution > card > driver, and choose the folder manually, it still wont find it.

vista is stubborn as.. grrrr... please help. i tried getting help from the wmware fusion forums but no luck.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
"Nvidia Setup could not find any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware" is what it says to some extent.

I made a virtual desktop with WMWare Fusion. I got most other things installed, but it refuses to install a Nvidia driver. I tried all of them on the leopard disc. When I used boot camp it could use the mobilevista64 driver, but not here.

stupid windows install some default driver, and it wont recognizes anything I throw at it. I even tried downloading custom laptop drivers from latop drivers 2 go website, but with no luck.

When I tried to analyse my graphics card in gpu-z the program crashed.

sigh... it makes me furious. i enabled 3d acceleration graphics in the preference menu in fusion, and all that stuff. it just wont install does bloddy drivers. it says even if i go in manually and update from control panal > monitor > screen resolution > card > driver, and choose the folder manually, it still wont find it.

vista is stubborn as.. grrrr... please help. i tried getting help from the wmware fusion forums but no luck.

The video interface in your virtual machine is NOT NVidia.

It isn't Vista, it's not VMWare, it's not Mac, it's the way virtual machines are designed. The same is true for Virtual PC and Parallels.

Your video card is emulated. It's not a straight shot passthrough. You'll need to install the VMWare tools and their SVGA driver.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
The video interface in your virtual machine is NOT NVidia.

It isn't Vista, it's not VMWare, it's not Mac, it's the way virtual machines are designed. The same is true for Virtual PC and Parallels.

Your video card is emulated. It's not a straight shot passthrough. You'll need to install the VMWare tools and their SVGA driver.

ok. then exactly how do I enable the abillity to play 3D games?

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
also, what if I had made a boot camp partition, then installed nvidia driver and then accesed it through fusion! would it then be able to recognize the nvidia driver?

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
ok. then exactly how do I enable the abillity to play 3D games?

You must enable the accelerated graphics in VMWare settings. Then you can attempt to install a game or play one. NOT ALL GAMES WORK in virtualization and you need to keep that in mind.

also, what if I had made a boot camp partition, then installed nvidia driver and then accesed it through fusion! would it then be able to recognize the nvidia driver?

No. When you boot into a virtualized machine you've just made a hardware change. Think of it as removing your nvidia card and putting anther card in then booting up. Windows automatically changes the drivers based on the hardware.

When your virtualized you have no specific hardware other than what VMWare is saying you have. Graphics/video are emulated not straight shot passthrough.

In order to use the nvidia drivers you must bootcamp.

This is how virtual machines have run since their creation. Virtual PC for windows does this, VMWare on Linux/Windows did and does this, etc. Your video card does come into play as to what effects can be supported by the general operations of the vm but it's not a device that the vm will recognize.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
You must enable the accelerated graphics in VMWare settings. Then you can attempt to install a game or play one. NOT ALL GAMES WORK in virtualization and you need to keep that in mind.

I'll just add that the best place to get help with getting 3d games to run in VMware will be on the VMware discussions boards. I have mostly lurked there, asked a question or two.... and I have found the participants very knowledgeable, helpful, etc.... just give them all the relevant info to begin with.

Good Luck

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Hahahaha 3D games and virtual machines. That's funny. What's wrong with Boot Camp?

I'm not going to debate this but some DO work, albeit not very well regards to performance but they do work.

Personally I wouldn't recommend VM's for any 3d, pixel shader, dynamic lighting game. That's best left for native Mac or Windows.

VM's are good for older games like CC series, RA series, Diablo 2 etc things of that nature or simple things like Hello Kitty World.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I'm not going to debate this but some DO work, albeit not very well regards to performance but they do work.

Personally I wouldn't recommend VM's for any 3d, pixel shader, dynamic lighting game. That's best left for native Mac or Windows.

VM's are good for older games like CC series, RA series, Diablo 2 etc things of that nature or simple things like Hello Kitty World.

Fair enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.