Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Hello does anyone have opinions about the web host 50webs. I see they have a free option as well as a $3 a month plan, which seems pretty good as I think you get a top level domain with it. Any comments, opinions or praise about them? Thanks

Also I'm not looking to host anything complicated, just a design portfolio.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
you get what you pay for.
I really never thought there was that much of a difference in hosts until I got a $6 a month host!

I regret not listening to my peers when they said "You get what you pay for!"
Downtime,
Poor support,
slowness,
limited access,
etc...
the list just goes on and on.

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
you get what you pay for.
I really never thought there was that much of a difference in hosts until I got a $6 a month host!

I regret not listening to my peers when they said "You get what you pay for!"
Downtime,
Poor support,
slowness,
limited access,
etc...
the list just goes on and on.

Was that with 50webs or another company?

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
'Twas with a different company. I dont think it would matter though, you are always going to get what you pay for.

Ok well Im thinking maybe 50webs is pretty good for what you get, and they've found a way to save money to offer it cheaper, maybe the bandwidth limitations, don't know haven't compared it to any other place yet. They claim 99.9% uptime and they have a forum and I don't see too many complaints regarding this.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with them, or if anyone can recommend another host that doesn't cost to much. Thanks

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
I'm on 1&1 hosting...

I've heard praise stories and complaints about the company. Personally it seems to work fine for me. The only issue I had was my email box was down for one day last year. Otherwise it is worth the money....$4.99 a month and you get two domain names.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.