Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft announced the release of the final version of Remote Desktop Connection Client version 2. The software has been in beta for almost a year.

The final version is available for download now and allows you to remotely connect to Windows-based PCs to access Windows-based files, applications, devices, and networks from your Mac.

Features listed include multiple session support, Mac-like user interface, print support, and increased security. Microsoft lists a number of known issues in the final version.

Article Link

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I've been using the beta .. I guess for a year! Wow time flies. Anyway, it's been problem free and an improvement on earlier versions for me.

userblah

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2007
Chicago, IL
I guess Microsoft increasing their Mac team is really getting a lot of work done....in the last couple weeks we have gotten updates to Office 2004, Office 2008, XML, and Remote Desktop Connection...I'm very impressed with this..mainly because it is Microsoft.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I guess Microsoft increasing their Mac team is really getting a lot of work done....in the last couple weeks we have gotten updates to Office 2004, Office 2008, XML, and Remote Desktop Connection...I'm very impressed with this..mainly because it is Microsoft.
Microsoft is a very capable corporation, even if it doesn't seem like it at times. And contrary to popular belief, the Mac platform is still important to Microsoft, hence why new versions of Office, etc. are still being released.

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill
Excellent news. I've been using the beta for ages now and it's been trouble free whenever I've connected to the work VPN.

Not having to bring my work laptop home every night has been a bonus. :D

userblah

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2007
Chicago, IL
Microsoft is a very capable corporation, even if it doesn't seem like it at times. And contrary to popular belief, the Mac platform is still important to Microsoft, hence why new versions of Office, etc. are still being released.

Oh I'm not doubting Microsoft as a whole but more of their motivation towards Macs. Yes Mac is very important to Microsoft but if you looked a time line of how when they release Updates for products or the final versions from when the betas are released you will see that they are dragged out over a very long period of time. This is unlike them to release finalized versions/updates of products for Mac so close together.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
It doesn't work for me. I am trying to connect to a Vista computer and it gives me an error. I have turned off the Windows firewall and everything.

It says that the Windows based computer could not be found. -__-

The laptop is on the same network as my mbp. I know I entered the correct computer name and the user name+password. Why is this still giving me the error?

max1018

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
Awesome, I use this to connect to my Windows Home Server, as they don't currently have any Mac versions of the console. Works perfect!

max1018

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
It doesn't work for me. I am trying to connect to a Vista computer and it gives me an error. I have turned off the Windows firewall and everything.

The laptop is on the same network as my mbp. I know I entered the correct computer name and the user name+password. Why is this still giving me the error?

Dumb question I know, but make sure you have enabled Remote Desktop in Windows.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Been waiting on the final version of this...its about time...use to connect back to work constantly plus connecting to windows machine at home...took em long enough!! :)

jbh001

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
How is the Mac connected to the Vista computer? Is it part of your local/home network, or is it something else?

Once I got the settings right, I've had no problem connecting from my Mac to Vista or XP as long as they are also on my home network. I haven't been able to connect to the computer at work yet. I assume that is because it is on a different network and the sysadmin has disabled such connection attempts.

I actually prefer using RDC to using Parallels because the apps are more stable since they are running naively instead of in a virtual environment, and I usually don't have to wait for the VM to boot up.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006

"I entered the correct computer name" Is probably the whole problem.

First try using just the IP of the computer, then work up to the name. I'll bet you're having a DNS issue.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Sounds cool, but I don't think I will ever use this.

This is a great tool for those of us who need to have remote connections to our office Windows machines. I use the Cisco VPN client to connect to the office, and then "RDP" into my Vista desktop. It works great, and give me access to my office machines when I need it...

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road

Try entering the ip address of the Windows Vista Computer instead of the computer name. There may be a problem with translating the name into an ip address.

Also you say the two computers are on the same local network but could you supply more details. I mean are they both contacting a wireless hub to get their ip address or are they both plugged into a wired ethernet hub? Is one wired and one wireless, etc? Do the laptops have fixed ip addresses?

It is possible that the two computers are on the same network but are being supplied ip address within a different range.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Love, love, LOVE the RDC Client. I use this all the time when I am working on clients' servers and desktop machines and when I need to manage my own Exchange Server at home.

Between RDC Client and VM Fusion, I never actually have to run Windows full-screen on my home machines.

Oh, for those who don't know: Remote Desktop access in Vista requires Vista Business or Vista Ultimate. Neither Vista Home Basic nor Vista Home Premium offers Remote Desktop as an option... although you can do a bit of hacking to make it work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.