Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coral21987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
I apologize in advance- I'm sure these questions are very basic and asked often, but I bought an ipod touch and did not realize that there are 2 models. The model I bought is MA623LL/A. What is the difference between this and other models? I also noticed a lot of people talking about a software upgrade. If my ipod touch needs this, where can I purchase it?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I apologize in advance- I'm sure these questions are very basic and asked often, but I bought an ipod touch and did not realize that there are 2 models. The model I bought is MA623LL/A. What is the difference between this and other models? I also noticed a lot of people talking about a software upgrade. If my ipod touch needs this, where can I purchase it?

There is only one model, the confusion about there apparently being two models is because some model numbers end with A, some with B (it was also thought that the ones ending with B were the only ones that included the software upgrade pre-installed but that has been disproven).

The software upgrade can refer to two things: the January Software Upgrade which, for $20, you could install Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather and Notes. The second is the upcoming 2.0 firmware, to be released on July 11, which will cost $9.95, and includes numerous updates, new features as well as the App Store. At the moment neither of these are available; the January upgrade was removed from iTunes as the five apps included within that will be available for a small fee from the App Store.

coral21987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
There is only one model, the confusion about there apparently being two models is because some model numbers end with A, some with B (it was also thought that the ones ending with B were the only ones that included the software upgrade pre-installed but that has been disproven).

The software upgrade can refer to two things: the January Software Upgrade which, for $20, you could install Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather and Notes. The second is the upcoming 2.0 firmware, to be released on July 11, which will cost $9.95, and includes numerous updates, new features as well as the App Store. At the moment neither of these are available; the January upgrade was removed from iTunes as the five apps included within that will be available for a small fee from the App Store.

thank you so much for your quick response! you cleared up all my confusion:)

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
Do the refurbished iPods come in the normal retail packaging?

I'm considering buying one as a gift, but only if it's packaged like a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.