Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I'm getting my canon hf-10 this thursday and i have a question about what other AVCHD users do to store / back-up their raw files? I'm currently using my macbook pro to do everything until i get a mac pro later down the road but i currently have a 160 GB hard disk in my MBP and only 50 GB of free space after OS X and Boot camp partition. My plan is to first log and transfer all my clips into FCE then edit out a final project, then save only my exported final video on my internal drive and trash all the media files then save out the raw files(straight from the camera, no transcode) to a external drive. would this process work? when i connect my camera does it via USB, does it mount like a external drive in the finder? is their a better way to do this? Thanks

Cmu93

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2007
Michigan
Your idea should work fine, I do something like that now. I have the HF100, so I just put the SDHC card into the Mac and it mounts like a disk image. There is no need to hook the camera up in my case. I then copy the Raw AVCHD files to a external drive folder, date it, and leave them there.

Then I go to FCE and do a Log and Transfer... edit, create, export and yes, then clear the scratch media if you no longer want it. You'll always have the Raw AVCHD footage backed up elsewhere.

Tom

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Your idea should work fine, I do something like that now. I have the HF100, so I just put the SDHC card into the Mac and it mounts like a disk image. There is no need to hook the camera up in my case. I then copy the Raw AVCHD files to a external drive folder, date it, and leave them there.

Then I go to FCE and do a Log and Transfer... edit, create, export and yes, then clear the scratch media if you no longer want it. You'll always have the Raw AVCHD footage backed up elsewhere.

Tom

Tom's method sounds better than your original proposal, in that he's archived the raw avchd files before he did the log and transfer. That way if he needs to re-edit the sequence in the future, the project file still knows where the original video clips are, and you won't need to go through them trying to figure out where the originals are located.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.