PDA

View Full Version : Switching a PC Nano to a Mac

Italchef
Jul 2, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hello All;
My brother-in-law has an iPod Nano which he was using with his Dell laptop. The laptop had a hard disk failure, and so he bought a Macbook. Now when he tries to mount his iPod, the Macbook is apparently saying that the iPod is formatted to windoze. Does that sound right?
Anyway, as far as I know he did not back up his library. All his music is ripped from CD's that he owns, but is there a way to import the music off the Nano onto his new Macbook, and are there any steps he needs to take in order to make his Nano Mac friendly.
Thanks in advance for your time,

Mick

cyclingplatypus
Jul 2, 2008, 03:32 PM
He could try Senuti (or similar) to get the music off, it might just work. As far as the "formatted for" question if he uses it to also store files and uses it on a PC he doesn't want to strictly format it to Mac, if he doesn't there isn't any reason to change it and it doesn't matter what it is formatted for use on a Mac.

What he is probably getting is a message saying that the iPod is assigned to iTunes on his Windows box, he'll have to "reformat" it to work with his new Mac but that won't change the file type.

Italchef
Jul 2, 2008, 03:47 PM
He could try Senuti (or similar) to get the music off, it might just work. As far as the "formatted for" question if he uses it to also store files and uses it on a PC he doesn't want to strictly format it to Mac, if he doesn't there isn't any reason to change it and it doesn't matter what it is formatted for use on a Mac.

What he is probably getting is a message saying that the iPod is assigned to iTunes on his Windows box, he'll have to "reformat" it to work with his new Mac but that won't change the file type.

So, pardon my ignorance, but basically you're saying that he might be able to get the music off, but once he does the iPod has to be reset (which will wipe everything off it) in order to use it with the Mac?
Thanks for your quick response,

Mick

cyclingplatypus
Jul 2, 2008, 09:30 PM
That is exactly what I am saying. As it stands right now he might be able to get the music off the iPod using the program I listed above, after that in order for it to sync with iTunes (after he gets iTunes all set up again) he'll have to "marry" it to the Mac. An iPod can only be attached (or married) to one computer, that's what he'll have to change.