PDA

View Full Version : Running My Wii off of my Ibook G4

eximius vir
Jul 2, 2008, 06:06 PM
Hey!

Is there anyway I can run my Wii off of my ibook G4? It's running 10.5. I work for a College IT deparment, and they were just going to throw away this ibookendz docking station, and it happens to have av (YWR) on the side. It works great for a docking station, but is there anyway I can use that to run my Wii? Thanks!

Skeletal-dæmon
Jul 2, 2008, 06:37 PM
Yes there is but it won't run through those RCA ports, they're specifically for video out to a composite monitor or projector such as a television or something.

What you can do however is buy something similar to what I have, the ElGato EyeTV Hybrid (http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/home.en.html). Its a television tuner for your Mac, and the Hybrid model includes an RCA input that will allow you to play your Wii on the PowerBook just as I can play my Xbox on my Mac Mini.

A word of caution though - the quality of the translated RCA analogue signals will be relatively poor as the process of translating the image is incredibly processor intensive. Comparatively speaking, the image produced by my 1.66GHz Mini is similar in pixelation to a video in 360x240 resolution being played fullscreen. And when you have a 19" screen, that looks BAD.

Good thing about the EyeTV is though you get Freeview on your Mac, and it provides a nice and easy way to put all your old videotapes into digital format for DVD burning. Again... the quality of the image depends on the speed of your processor.

Dæmon