Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metroid87706

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
New Baltimore, MI
Ok, so I got an iBook G3 900MHz 14" from CraigsList on June 28th. Met up with the guy. Very nice person, and a great transaction. iBook is flawless. Had a new battery. :D

Day 1: So, I take it home, and I plug it in to charge. I go ahead and want to see the life of the battery with Coconut Battery. Ok. 99% of original capacity. Good! :D

Day 2: So now, I use it for a day, and it dies, so I charge it. And I use it again. ;)

Day 3: After charging, I look at Coconut Battery. What?! Two days, and the battery life is down to 80%?! :mad:

So here is some stats. Each of these is after a full charge and drain)
June 28th - 99% (mAh Unknown)
June 29th - ??% (mAh Unknown)
June 30th - 80% (3232 mAh)
July 1st - 74% (2976 mAh) - Morning
July 1st - 68% (2720 mAh) - Evening
July 2nd - 64% (2587 mAh) - Half hour ago.

Should I take it in to an Apple Store? Can I get a new one?
There are 1 year warranties on these, right?

Thank you.
- Devin

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
When you say "new" battery, is it one that person bought from Apple? do you have the paperwork? how old is it?

metroid87706

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
New Baltimore, MI
When you say "new" battery, is it one that person bought from Apple? do you have the paperwork? how old is it?

New from Apple, yes.
I do not have paperwork, no. I might be able to cal him and ask tomorrow.
Will I need it to get a replacement? I didn't for my iPod Touch(s).

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I haven't used the battery utility you are using, are those numbers for the max capacity? or just current charge?

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I'd wait maybe a week still. People have been reporting sporadic battery readings on all the laptops lately. Although if it gets really low and doesn't show any sign of improving, definitely get it replaced.

metroid87706

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
New Baltimore, MI
I will. I won't be able to go to an Apple Store for a few days anyway.
I just hope it doesn't get all the way down to 0% by then.

Will I need paperwork or receipts to get a new one, or can they see when it was purchased to see if I'm eligible or a new one through the warranty?

metroid87706

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
New Baltimore, MI
Can somebody please answer my above questions?
"Will I need paperwork or receipts to get a new one, or can they see when it was purchased to see if I'm eligible or a new one through the warranty?"

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.