PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac and Xserve Revisions at MWSF 2004?

MacRumors
Dec 12, 2003, 11:58 AM
Appleinsider reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=320) that they now have corroborating infomration that Apple will be updating their PowerMac line at MacWorld San Francisco 2004.

The best information available to the rumor site indicates that the new models will come in at 2.0Ghz, 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz configurations. Previous notes (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031204180906.shtml), however, had indicated that IBM was producing chips as fast as 2.6GHz at this time. Other expectations remain the same with the use of 90nm PowerPCs, 533MHz DDR II RAM, a faster system bus (up to 1.5GHz).

Xserve updates are also expected, but few details are available.

TomSmithMacEd
Dec 12, 2003, 12:00 PM
I could definatly see this happening. It would be nice to see new Powermacs. They are running behind on speed now. And Xserves.. everyone knows how outdated they are.

paulypants
Dec 12, 2003, 12:00 PM
Xserves should be up to about 2.6 Ghz
by the end of january, powermacs may not be that fast but hopefully will equal that at the high end--I'm still waiting to get one til it gets over 3Ghz

Phobophobia
Dec 12, 2003, 12:04 PM
Lies, all lies!!! (*prays for 2.6*)

GroundLoop
Dec 12, 2003, 12:05 PM
All I have to say is ...

WOOOOHOOO!!!!

But I would still like to see some kind of powerbook update.

Hickman

jouster
Dec 12, 2003, 12:09 PM
AI has a good record of late, no?

Well these seem reasonable, though doubtless some will find reasons to complain:

Th1S SuXX0Rs, wh3R3 is teh 3Ghz PowerMaxxx0rzz?

and so on.....

AirUncleP
Dec 12, 2003, 12:11 PM
I wonder how far the current G5 models will drop in price?

ITR 81
Dec 12, 2003, 12:12 PM
Maybe they are holding off on the 2.6 until they release the 2.8 and 3.0Ghz PM's?

All I know is the 3Ghz PM is mine or 3.2 if it's out by then as well.

macMaestro
Dec 12, 2003, 12:12 PM
Cool...

But nothing really new here.

I liked those 2.6 Ghz rumors better though. :mad:

AmigoMac
Dec 12, 2003, 12:13 PM
and my processor running at 867 MHZ... I need that improvement for my next PB...

Great for the next owners of those babies...

ITR 81
Dec 12, 2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Brian Hickman
All I have to say is ...

WOOOOHOOO!!!!

Hickman

I could see them updating the chassis of the PB model line. Revision to the screens if they haven't already been implemented and speed bumps.

1.42 = 17inch
1.33 = 15inch
1.25 = 12inch

This also reminds me I'll be buying a G5 PB as well whenever they come out this yr. and maybe new iPod if new ones are kick ass.

Gymnut
Dec 12, 2003, 12:17 PM
Well, always nice to hear possible processor updates, tho I'm hoping Apple is prepared to deliver should there be an overwhelming demand for the high-end model.

ITR 81
Dec 12, 2003, 12:22 PM
What I'm wondering is when we see the 3Ghz PM will it have a 2Ghz FSB? If so these suckers will kick some ass.

neonart
Dec 12, 2003, 12:25 PM
These nunbers seem reasonable. It would be nice if all three where duals. I'm waiting for this revision to go G5 since I got the budget approval from the finance department (a.k.a.:wife).
Even a single 2 would be a monster with 1Ghz bus!

gwuMACaddict
Dec 12, 2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by TomSmithMacEd
They are running behind on speed now.

uhhh... am i missing something? how are they behind on speed when they JUST CAME OUT? that being said... new is always good. i might have to get one if this turns out to be true... birthday is coming up

fussball
Dec 12, 2003, 12:34 PM
If Apple update the G5 towers and XServes, along with some i-applications.. I wonder if still hoping for PB updates will be too much? It's all I really want, come on guys!

ksz
Dec 12, 2003, 12:37 PM
The best information available to the rumor site indicates that the new models will come in at 2.0Ghz, 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz configurations.
Hmmm, thinking out loud...

Will they be duals all across?
Will the low end model be single-CPU (seems likely)?
Will the new lineup take the prices of the current lineup, from $1799 to $2999?
Will the price drop on existing models be such that the current king of the hill (dual 2GB) matches (or approximates) the price of the new (single?) 2GHz? Seems unlikely because that could mean dropping from $3000 to $2000.

eric67
Dec 12, 2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
Maybe they are holding off on the 2.6 until they release the 2.8 and 3.0Ghz PM's?

All I know is the 3Ghz PM is mine or 3.2 if it's out by then as well.

I think the highest processor speed for the coming revision of PM will be 2.4-2.5GHz, I think this is the max the FSB can support (1.2-1.25GHz). I mean just imagine PC world is still at 800MHz...
I have raed somewhere that for a 3GHz PM, this can not be installed on the existing mother board model. (probably due to FSB)
I rather think ofthe info reported by appleinsider and macbidouille.com of a multiprocessor Xserve 3U for making big cluster.

it has to be faster than the PPC970 1U blade server developped by IBM, so I guess Apple will go multiprocessors and higher end server...
this could correspond to the yesterday news regarding entreprise/larger business unit that Apple would like to developp....

bishopduke
Dec 12, 2003, 12:44 PM
!

eric67
Dec 12, 2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
What I'm wondering is when we see the 3Ghz PM will it have a 2Ghz FSB? If so these suckers will kick some ass. 3GHz PM means by defitions a FSB of at least 1.5GHz, which is not possible on the current mother board/FSB.
now I would imagine than the nex mother board will be able to get 3GHz+ G5, so let say a FSB on a new mobo which will be able to accomodate FSB between 1.5GHz and 2GHz (the latest meaning a G5 at 4GHz...)
without forgetting than in that case the RAM needs to run also to corresponding level.

stockscalper
Dec 12, 2003, 12:48 PM
How about new powerbooks too?

willmg
Dec 12, 2003, 12:52 PM
I dont understand the need for DDR2 memory, in fact that may be a mistake as DDR2 is quite rare at the moment and most is being used only with High end graphics boards like 5700Ultra/5950Ultra. There is DDR1 memory currently at 533MHz sold by high end memory companies like OCZ and Mishkin, which could be used in these systems and would be much more resonably priced.

From Win to Mac
Dec 12, 2003, 12:53 PM
that we'll get DUAL 2.0, DUAL 2.2 and DUAL 2.4 Ghz in January. This means that the price for the low-end PowerMac will go up again, to the level it was when they launched the G5 :mad:

Oh well, i'll have to pay 300$ more. :p

bathysphere
Dec 12, 2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by eric67
3GHz PM means by defitions a FSB of at least 1.5GHz, which is not possible on the current mother board/FSB.

3ghz means a fsb of MAXIMUM at 1.5 ghz, and if they don't have new motherboards, lower.

dongmin
Dec 12, 2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by eric67
3GHz PM means by defitions a FSB of at least 1.5GHz, which is not possible on the current mother board/FSB.
now I would imagine than the nex mother board will be able to get 3GHz+ G5, so let say a FSB on a new mobo which will be able to accomodate FSB between 1.5GHz and 2GHz (the latest meaning a G5 at 4GHz...)
without forgetting than in that case the RAM needs to run also to corresponding level. don't you guys bother reading the actual articles?

Appleinsider:Meanwhile, the new units -- dubbed the Power Mac 8,1 -- have been rumored to sport a revised logic-board and 'U3 revision II' controller that will add support for 533MHz DDR II RAM, as well as supporting a front side bus (FSB) of up to 1.5GHz The January revision will most definitely have a revised logic board supporting a FSB of up to 1.5 ghz. That means to go beyond 3 ghz, they'll need to revise the board yet again. But then, the 3ghz+ Power Macs are supposed to support the yet-unannounced 980s which will require yet another logic board revision. This is quite a development path for Apple. New chips and new motherboards every six months!

Also in the article: with the cooler-running 970s, heatsinks and/or fans will get smaller allowing more room for HDs, possibly up to four HDs for a terabyte of storage.

Sailfish
Dec 12, 2003, 01:12 PM
This newer process means cooler chips, which mean 64 BIT POWERBOOKS!!!!

YIPPIE!!

You all didn't think Apple wouldn't be the first to produce a 64 bit laptop now did you?

I will buy the Dual 3.xx next summer, that's a given, I just enjoy my 23" too much to buy another laptop.

ksz
Dec 12, 2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by dongmin
don't you guys bother reading the actual articles?
No, not always. ;)

If the new entry-level 90nm dual 2GHz starts at $2099 or $2199, it's still a substantial savings from the current price of $2999. I don't expect (or hope) that Apple will reduce the specs of the base configuration which are already pretty minimal:

Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
1GHz frontside bus/processor
512K L2 cache/processor
512MB DDR400 128-bit SDRAM
Expandable to 8GB SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA
SuperDrive
Three PCI-X Slots
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

So we may be looking at a $800 or $900 drop for the dual 2GHz.

Jerry Spoon
Dec 12, 2003, 01:26 PM
Good news...although it just makes me realize how old my computer it. Can't imagine how fast one of those would be.

pgwalsh
Dec 12, 2003, 01:31 PM
This seems realistic. 2.4 is a good number. However, if they did happen to have 2.6, what a surprise. ;)

spinner
Dec 12, 2003, 01:46 PM
This is good news if its true. I hope they go dual across the board after all these are pro level machines and I think dual proc should be the difference between consumer and pro products. Besides I want an entry level dualie ;)

Also, if its true that IBM is already sampling 2.6GHz procs I can't see why they wouldn't use them, unless they are not yet available is sufficient quanities. Apple was held back by Moto for so long I can't believe that if Apple had the opportunity to go higher that they wouldn't jump on it.

Belly-laughs
Dec 12, 2003, 01:51 PM
[i]I mean just imagine PC world is still at 800MHz...[/B]

It´s not hard to imagine. Until September we were stuck at 133Mhz. With only 1.42GHz processors. No, it wasn´t a myth!

ksz
Dec 12, 2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by spinner
Also, if its true that IBM is already sampling 2.6GHz procs I can't see why they wouldn't use them, unless they are not yet available is sufficient quanities. Apple was held back by Moto for so long I can't believe that if Apple had the opportunity to go higher that they wouldn't jump on it.
Agreed. It's a good 6-8 months before the 3GHz is released. If the rumor mill is correct, the 3GHz PM will be based on the PowerPC 980, making that release more exciting than a speed-bumped process-shrinked 970. So to increase the excitement factor for the new high-end, raise the clock to 2.6 GHz and keep it there for next 6-8 months.

Gizmotoy
Dec 12, 2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Sailfish
You all didn't think Apple wouldn't be the first to produce a 64 bit laptop now did you?

If I understand you correctly (and I'm not sure that I do, given the overabundance of negatives in that sentence), you do realize that there are a multitude of Athlon64 laptops out, don't you?

x86isslow
Dec 12, 2003, 02:04 PM

YIPPIE!!

while its fine an apple partisan, please get your facts straight. there are already quite a few 64-bit laptop solutions. the oldest that i know of is a sparc-based computer tadpole computers (http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/html/)

the most recent is amd-based gaming laptops from companies like voodoo (http://www.voodoopc.com/systems/m855.aspx)

edit: looks like someone beat me to it.

animemaster
Dec 12, 2003, 02:14 PM
Ok, about the xserves. The Xserve and the Xserve RAID are extremely different machines. They work on completely different principles, like night and day.

The Xserve is pretty much a powermac G4 repositioned into a 1U encloser. That is why the machine relies so heavily on the G4 processor to do its computations. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a very powerful machine, but a G5 will run circles around the Xserve while reading a book in 5 different languages, and writing the next great novel.

On the otherhand, the Xserve RAID, is entirely different. The RAID does not rely on the G4 processor, it actually does not have a G4 processor in the machine. It uses extremely high bandwidth processors, that, for what the xserves do, can transfer information faster than a G5.

These processors are called RAID controllers, and do just that. In a server like the RAID, the only thing that is important, is how fast data can move from point A to point B, and to go the shortest distance. With the Fibre channel cables being used in the RAID, date can move at 2Gb, or 200MB's/sec. So putting a G5 in the RAID won't do it any good. Now, putting a G5 in a 1U encloser would be astounding. So much power, in an extremely tight environment.

For upgrading the RAID, I'd like to see Serial ATA make its way into the machine, a VGA port, but that's not needed, and for it to weigh a little less.

-animemaster

ShnikeJSB
Dec 12, 2003, 02:34 PM
<This newer process means cooler chips, which mean 64 BIT POWERBOOKS!!!!

YIPPIE!!

You all didn't think Apple wouldn't be the first to produce a 64 bit laptop now did you?>

I hate to spoil your fun Sailfish...

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9486,00.html

Mr.Hey
Dec 12, 2003, 02:44 PM
I was wondering why MR was late in reporting this hot bit O news (checking sources I guess). I'm so excited about the progress that we're seeing from Apple/IBM (feel like a kid again).

I understand that the pace of these updates is mostly because of the years (3?) of MOTOs inability to produce competitive (arguable I know) chips for Apple and so there is a great urgency to restore consumer faith in Apple's product line. So what's the typical upgrade cycle for Apple; is it similar to the x86 timetables.

Now that Apple has IBM supplying them with chips (but failed to supply the dip! :) ) in their state of the art facilities, will we continue to see these kinds of upgrades in such short amounts of time.

~Shard~
Dec 12, 2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Brian Hickman
All I have to say is ...

WOOOOHOOO!!!!

Hickman

PowerMacs, xServes and LCDs are all due for updates before PowerBooks. I think all we'll be seeing in the near future as far as PBs go are maybe speed bumps, but as for G5 PBs, I'd wait until summer for them.

~Shard~
Dec 12, 2003, 02:46 PM

YIPPIE!!

I will buy the Dual 3.xx next summer, that's a given, I just enjoy my 23" too much to buy another laptop.

There are already 64 bit laptops out there - they're called Athlons. :)

~Shard~
Dec 12, 2003, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure the rumors are true and we will definitely be seeing these speed bumps @ MWSF. Ah, I can't wait to hear all the complaining. Remember all those crybabies who complained of being ripped off after buying 1.8 G5s, when the DP 1.8 G5s were then released only 2 months later? I can hear the posts being typed up as we speak, in anticipation: "I just got my DP 1.8 GHz G5 (or DP 2.0 GHz G5) a month ago and now it sucks! I got so ripped off man! How can Apple do this to me!!!"

And I will experience much enjoyment responding to those posts. :cool:

machinehien
Dec 12, 2003, 02:53 PM

YIPPIE!!

Sorry to burst your bubble but Hypersonic beat Apple to the 64 bit Laptop punch.

http://secure.hypersonic-pc.com/scripts/custom_sys.asp?sysid=Aviator_AX6

jayscheuerle
Dec 12, 2003, 02:55 PM
Apple won't move me until they come out with a headless eMac. I don't care if they put out 4 gHz G5s.

An affordable mp3 walkman would be nice too.

Heck I'd be happy if they just release a system update that supported all the BTO 2nd monitor cards so I could use Panther at work...

This is just more news for nerds! :p

~Shard~
I realize these PM speed boosts are technically just rumors, but since they are very liekly to be true in some form, I am wondering if the Buyer's Guide section of MR needs to be updated. It still lists the PM as a "Buy Now! Product Recently Updated!". I realize this is due to the DP 1.8 release, but still, should it have such a strong rating when updates are imminent? At least make it a "Neutral" or a "Buy" as opposed to a strong buy? Just my opinion...

Mr.Hey
:p

Mr.Hey
Dec 12, 2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by ~Shard~ And I will experience much enjoyment responding to those posts. :cool:

You're salivating at the mere idea of it now!.....remind me to stay clear of you when this happens.

bringing the ruckus since 1998 :D

paulypants
Dec 12, 2003, 03:07 PM
So putting a G5 in the RAID won't do it any good. Now, putting a G5 in a 1U encloser would be astounding.

The G5 will go into those type of enclosures soon--there are many universities that want to do similar clusters like virginia tech but providing enough space for the behemoth G5 boxes is not feasible--they need rack mounted servers to take advantage of what space they have available--Apple is very aware of this

animemaster
Dec 12, 2003, 03:13 PM
I'm not saying at all that it won't be a bad thing, it would be actually quite good. I mean, if done correctly, a G5 in a RAID, built correctly, could utilize the power and quickness, and the 64bit processing that the G5 offers, plus the ability to transfer data so quickly in a RAID system.

It all depends on how something like this is built. I think that once a G5 finds its way into a Server, a lot of companies will be looking to purchase an apple server. The added power of a G5 is amazing. However, compared to even that of higher end processors, such of which the G5 is based off of, major enterprises are still going to want those higher end servers.

-animemaster

coolkamio
Dec 12, 2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by x86isslow
while its fine an apple partisan, please get your facts straight. there are already quite a few 64-bit laptop solutions. the oldest that i know of is a sparc-based computer tadpole computers (http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/html/)

the most recent is amd-based gaming laptops from companies like voodoo (http://www.voodoopc.com/systems/m855.aspx)

edit: looks like someone beat me to it.

8lbs+ with a 15" screen and a theoretical battery of 3Hours (1,5Hours really) IS NOT TRULY A LAPTOP IS A PORTABLE COMPUTER..

Apple Powerbook 17" = 6,9pounds
Apple Powerbook 15" = 5,6pounds

dongmin
Dec 12, 2003, 03:19 PM

YIPPIE!! Not too sure about this. Indications (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?postid=606348#post606348) are that 90nm 970s may still be too hot for PowerBooks. We might get another iteration of PPC 7447s (up to 1.6 ghz??) before they introduce 980-equipped PBs in Nov. 2004 - Jan. 2005.

As for this AppleInsider report, I'm skeptical that the new low-end will be [i]dual[i/] 2.0 ghz. From single 1.6 ghz to 2 x 2.0 ghz??? More likely, it'll be a single 2.0 ghz or dual 1.8 ghz. Personally, I'd like to see them do the dual 1.8 ghz and drop the price a bit, to $1599. $1800 for the low-end is too high.

jouster
Dec 12, 2003, 03:28 PM
Sheesh, does anyone read before they post? Did it really need FIVE people to post about there already being 64 bit notebooks?

Sailfish
Dec 12, 2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by ShnikeJSB
<This newer process means cooler chips, which mean 64 BIT POWERBOOKS!!!!

YIPPIE!!

You all didn't think Apple wouldn't be the first to produce a 64 bit laptop now did you?>

I hate to spoil your fun Sailfish...

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9486,00.html

darn,

Well if Apple says it's the first 64 laptop then I guess I'll have to believe it. ; )

Let's see how we can say it with it sounding like it is anyway?

"The first 64 bit portable laptop"
"The first 64 bit personal laptop"
"The first 64 bit affordable laptop" (yea right)

Ain't propoganda wonderful?

"The first 64 bit watercooled laptop" (now that's a possiblity from what I've read)

"The first 64 bit watercooled, fuel cell laptop" (just don't bring it on a plane with you)

BOOM!

JoeRadar
Dec 12, 2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by fussball
If Apple update the G5 towers and XServes, along with some i-applications.. I wonder if still hoping for PB updates will be too much?
Absolutely. We always over-expect in the rumor community, so there is always some disappointment.

The exciting part is that we don't know which of the 10-20 rumors will actually come true, so we get to pour our expectations in our favorite item(s). So keep hoping for improved laptops, towers, servers, applications, cheap iPods, video iPods, LCDs, or whatever.

Westside guy
Dec 12, 2003, 03:50 PM
It certainly would make sense to put a G5 in the XServe (well, duh, I hear you saying). Given that they're going in server rooms, noise isn't an issue - so they could put a big ol' honkin' fan in the thing and have it sounding like a jet engine.

G5 powerbooks... I know there are a tiny number of people who would actually make good use of these. A larger number would just think they need it. My 1.25GHz G4 Powerbook does just fine by me, and I haven't yet had a "heck why is this taking so long?" moment. :-) For that matter my previous computer was a Dell laptop with a 600MHz PIII in it - once I put enough RAM in the thing it didn't have any significant speed issues either. For most people processor speed no longer matters, because the pace of improvement (even by Motorola) has outpaced what peoples' apps need for the most part. It's all pretty much marketing anymore for the personal computer market. Dell says you need a 2.4GHz P4 for "basic Web browsing and e-mail", for goodness sake! :-D Gotta sell new computers somehow!! But if you put a good video card in a machine and enough RAM, the processor speed is not going to be an issue.

x86isslow
Dec 12, 2003, 03:51 PM
it strikes me that there are no rumors about new moto chips, so if we get a chip with 1.6 Ghz clock, it will come in the form of the 970, or the mythical new750.

and coolkamio- do you really think that apple could get better battery life than tadpole's and voodoo's?
if both of the existing mobile64-bit chipsets: amd and sparc yield a poor 1.5hrs battery life, apple's desktop-style 64bit chip will not have better battery life

as for weight- the wallstreet was 7.8 lbs..

originally posted by coolkamio
8lbs+ with a 15" screen and a theoretical battery of 3Hours (1,5Hours really) IS NOT TRULY A LAPTOP IS A PORTABLE COMPUTER..

backspinner
Dec 12, 2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by jouster
Sheesh, does anyone read before they post? Did it really need FIVE people to post about there already being 64 bit notebooks? :D we all had to quote a different vendor

ethernet76
Dec 12, 2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by fussball
If Apple update the G5 towers and XServes, along with some i-applications.. I wonder if still hoping for PB updates will be too much? It's all I really want, come on guys!

In previous updates apple has rarely done three products at one time. xServe by itself would be huge news. Consider making a big mac cluster with xServes instead of Powermacs.

Interesting to say the least. Although I wonder about the cooling. Assuming a multiple U setup, 9 fans? Maybe they'll even jump to a 4 processor setting and finally take the xServe to a professional level.

Dont Hurt Me
Dec 12, 2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by ~Shard~
I'm pretty sure the rumors are true and we will definitely be seeing these speed bumps @ MWSF. Ah, I can't wait to hear all the complaining. Remember all those crybabies who complained of being ripped off after buying 1.8 G5s, when the DP 1.8 G5s were then released only 2 months later? I can hear the posts being typed up as we speak, in anticipation: "I just got my DP 1.8 GHz G5 (or DP 2.0 GHz G5) a month ago and now it sucks! I got so ripped off man! How can Apple do this to me!!!"

And I will experience much enjoyment responding to those posts. :cool: got a kick out of your post, we had so many years of little to no advancement with moto, we were immune to this kind of thing but now IBM has come along and we have PROGRESS! How are we going to be able to deal with it i just dont know.:D

~Shard~
Dec 12, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Hey
You're salivating at the mere idea of it now!.....remind me to stay clear of you when this happens.

You know it, Mr. Hey. It's what I live for. :cool:

(I need an "evil happy face icon" to express these types of sentiments...)

illumin8
Dec 12, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by From Win to Mac
that we'll get DUAL 2.0, DUAL 2.2 and DUAL 2.4 Ghz in January. This means that the price for the low-end PowerMac will go up again, to the level it was when they launched the G5 :mad:

Oh well, i'll have to pay 300$ more. :p
If the low-end goes to G5 launch prices, you'll still be getting a dual 2.0 for only $1999! That's $1000 cheaper than it is right now. How is that a bad thing?

~Shard~
Dec 12, 2003, 04:09 PM
Sheesh, does anyone read before they post? Did it really need FIVE people to post about there already being 64 bit notebooks?

My apologies - I amdit I am guilty of reading a new thread, and replying to posts as I read them, while thoughts are fresh in my mind. If I had read all of them to begin with, I probably wouldn't have posted, you're right.

You got me! ;)

Steven1621
Dec 12, 2003, 04:25 PM
darn no pb g5.....

coolkamio
Dec 12, 2003, 04:34 PM
it strikes me that there are no rumors about new moto chips, so if we get a chip with 1.6 Ghz clock, it will come in the form of the 970, or the mythical new750.

and coolkamio- do you really think that apple could get better battery life than tadpole's and voodoo's?
if both of the existing mobile64-bit chipsets: amd and sparc yield a poor 1.5hrs battery life, apple's desktop-style 64bit chip will not have better battery life

Are u talking about a apple laptop announced 6 years ago?
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/stats/powerbook_g3_300.html

Only 5 years ago and..
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/stats/powerbook_g3_333.html

5,9lbs...

The newton weight much more than today pda's...

Wake me up when i can buy a 12" ~2kg laptop with 4 to 5+hours with a 64bit processor.. (Belive me, Apple will do it before anyone, ALWAYS DO IT)

The G5 at 130micras uses less power than athlon 64, at 90 micras with powertune technology it will be the perfect companion for a mobile digital video studio..
Message to Apple:
High Performance
High Battery
Lightweight machine
Bring it on!!!

dongmin
Dec 12, 2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by ethernet76
In previous updates apple has rarely done three products at one time. xServe by itself would be huge news. Consider making a big mac cluster with xServes instead of Powermacs.

Interesting to say the least. Although I wonder about the cooling. Assuming a multiple U setup, 9 fans? Maybe they'll even jump to a 4 processor setting and finally take the xServe to a professional level. while the Xserve is due for an update, the Expos have traditionally been the platform to highlight Apple's consumer products, e.g. the iMac launch of 2002.

k2k koos
Dec 12, 2003, 04:56 PM
what ever the initial speeds, this is promising , and i have every faith in Apple that they will pull off their promise of approx 3Ghz in 12 months time (I guestimate september 2004)

;)

nighthawk
Dec 12, 2003, 05:14 PM
There is no reason why Apple could not release the Dual 2.6 GHz as a "Build-to-Order" option... that way they could charge $4000+ (with hefty amounts of RAM) and not have to worry about supply delays.

yamabushi
Dec 12, 2003, 05:16 PM
If a dual 2.4 is the best Apple can do for January, I won't be saying "Wow!" More like "Yawn." However if the Cube were to return with a G5 for less than $1500 I would be pleased.

A super expensive high end tower for chips in limited supply is a good idea.

geerlingguy
Dec 12, 2003, 05:47 PM
Let's do the math on a 42U rack:

Supposing the Xserve stays in it's current 1U form factor...

42 Xserves
84 processors (dual in each machine)
84x2.6 Ghz = 218.4 Ghz per rack!!!

Now, times that by the number of racks in the Virginia Tech cluster (Big Mac). That's quite a bit of power!:D

And I would be happy to have 1 measly 1.6 Ghz G5... :p

nighthawk
Dec 12, 2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by geerlingguy
Let's do the math on a 42U rack:

Supposing the Xserve stays in it's current 1U form factor...

42 Xserves
84 processors (dual in each machine)
84x2.6 Ghz = 218.4 Ghz per rack!!!

Now, times that by the number of racks in the Virginia Tech cluster (Big Mac). That's quite a bit of power!:D

*IF* there was a 2.6 Xserve released, you would only be required to have 21 racks to equal the processing power of VT. That means you can have the same processing with 1/6th the space. That would likely lower the cooling requirements and lower the over all cost.

[edit] Of course I meant a dual 2.6 Ghz.

BenRoethig
Dec 12, 2003, 06:42 PM
My wish list for MYSF
Single 2.0, Dual 2.2 Dual 2.4
DDR-II 533
A second drive bay for 2 optical drives and 4 Hard drives
Another PCI slot allowing use of the latest Nvidia videocards and still have three usuable slots
2 more USB 2.0 slots on the back and a second one on the front
1 more Firewire 400 and 800 on the back.

Steradian
Dec 12, 2003, 07:21 PM
Sheesh, does anyone read before they post? Did it really need FIVE people to post about there already being 64 bit notebooks? Yes ;), Look, they are excited about rumored products. Not to say the thought of 2.6 G5 PM's aren't awesome though. I just hope that we get a new line of drivers for the PM's vid cards, I want to know that these babbies are getting full use of AMD and Nvidia's offerings. Also....it might be nice to have a revison of those apple "pro" speakers. :-P just some thoughts

~Shard~
Dec 12, 2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Steradian
I just hope that we get a new line of drivers for the PM's vid cards, I want to know that these babbies are getting full use of AMD and Nvidia's offerings. Also....it might be nice to have a revison of those apple "pro" speakers. :-P just some thoughts

How about a 2-button mouse too?

Kay, JUST KIDDING, before people start ripping into me for saying that... ;)

Eric_Z
Dec 12, 2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by BenRoethig
My wish list for MYSF
Single 2.0, Dual 2.2 Dual 2.4
DDR-II 533
A second drive bay for 2 optical drives and 4 Hard drives
Another PCI slot allowing use of the latest Nvidia videocards and still have three usuable slots
2 more USB 2.0 slots on the back and a second one on the front
1 more Firewire 400 and 800 on the back.

Nice, thought I'd like them to be all dual, and add ECC memory and integrated fibrechannel on the mid and highend model, so that any doubts about PowerMacs not being workstations can be cleared away.

AidenShaw
Dec 12, 2003, 09:47 PM
the oldest that i know of is a sparc-based computer tadpole computers (http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/html/)

Tadpole made Digital Alpha-based 64-bit laptops even before the current SPARC line!

paulypants
Dec 12, 2003, 11:20 PM
I think that once a G5 finds its way into a Server, a lot of companies will be looking to purchase an apple server. The added power of a G5 is amazing. However, compared to even that of higher end processors, such of which the G5 is based off of, major enterprises are still going to want those higher end servers.

couldn't agree with you more animemaster ;)

ethernet76
Dec 12, 2003, 11:21 PM
I hope for the day when speed bumps aren't taken as huge advancements in the mac community. I find myself saying, "Oh, they have a 3.2 Pentium now, how cute."

As opposed to the 2 month hype here.

~Shard~
Dec 12, 2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by ethernet76
I hope for the day when speed bumps aren't taken as huge advancements in the mac community. I find myself saying, "Oh, they have a 3.2 Pentium now, how cute."

As opposed to the 2 month hype here.

Things are going to be changing with respect to that, and we will now be seeing more frequent updates and quicker progression, in my opinion. Mac users are far too used to Motorola's slow development and release times, and now that Apple is with IBM, we will be noticing quite the change.

The next couple of years are going to be very interesting times!

(What was Moto's longest record, anyway? Going an entire year and only bumping up speeds by 450 MHz? Something like that?)

Maxwell Devine
Dec 13, 2003, 12:08 AM
I had originally planned to wait until Rev. B for buying my PowerMac, but with the 980 on the horizon I'm convinced it's best to hold off until Summer 04 (unless you REALLY need a computer right away).

A 2.4Ghz 970 doesn't seem all that exciting when compared to a 3Ghz 980 PLUS whatever other random goodies Apple will throw in with the 980 (perhaps a slightly modified case, included bluetooth, and included wireless keyboard/mouse [crossing fingers anxiously]).

~Shard~
Dec 13, 2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Maxwell Devine
I had originally planned to wait until Rev. B for buying my PowerMac, but with the 980 on the horizon I'm convinced it's best to hold off until Summer 04 (unless you REALLY need a computer right away).

A 2.4Ghz 970 doesn't seem all that exciting when compared to a 3Ghz 980 PLUS whatever other random goodies Apple will throw in with the 980 (perhaps a slightly modified case, included bluetooth, and included wireless keyboard/mouse [crossing fingers anxiously]).

Fair enough, if you don't mind waiting. But who knows, come summer 2004 Jobs might announce plans for the 3.5 GHz G5s due out a couple months afterwards, or other improvements just around the corner! My point is, if you're always waiting for the next best thing, you'll always be waiting. But by all means, if that 3 GHz PM is the machine you want no matter what, and you don't mind waiting, (even if Jobs releases the G6 two months afterwards!) then by all means, get the machine you want. :)

wwworry
Dec 13, 2003, 07:19 AM
How come these rumors are not reported to macrumors and usually only to appleinsider or think secret?

B-CarnageSelf
Dec 13, 2003, 07:48 AM
This is all well and good, but do you think we'll be finally seeing the release of the iPal? I saw screenshots of it a couple of months ago and personally can't wait!

It has been brought to my attention that the font used on the iPal packaging differs from their other releases. Could this possibly be a fake?

true777
Dec 13, 2003, 08:45 AM
I'm convinced the predicted 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 speeds are correct. But I greatly doubt they'll put a dual configuration in the 2.0 base model. Apple generally makes moves like this when they're desperate (for speed, and can't get higher-clocked processors), which they currently obviously aren't. I'm pretty sure we'll see a single 2.0, but dual 2.2 and 2.4 models.

MacRAND
Dec 13, 2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by AirUncleP
I wonder how far the current G5 models will drop in price? $1,999.00
Dual 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5
1GHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache
512MB DDR400 128-bit SDRAM
Expandable to 8GB SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA
8x SuperDrive (new)
Three PCI Slots
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

$2,499.00
Dual 2.2 GHz PowerPC G5
1.5 GHz frontside bus/processor
512K L2 cache/processor
512MB 533MHz DDR II RAM
Expandable to 16 GB SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA
8x SuperDrive (new)
Three PCI-X Slots
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

$2,999.00
Dual 2.4 GHz PowerPC G5 XServe
1.5 GHz frontside bus/processor
512K L2 cache/processor
1 GB 533MHz DDR II RAM
Expandable to 16 GB SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA
8x SuperDrive (new)
Three PCI-X Slots
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

:rolleyes:

$9,999.00
Dual 2.6GHz PowerPC G5
2MB L3 cache per processor
2.0GB 533MHz DDR II RAM
4x180GB serial ATA (720GB)
Mac OS X Server (Unlimited client) 10.2.3
Dual Gigabit Ethernet
CD-ROM slot load drive
ATI graphics card with VGA
AppleCare Premium Support Plan
Mac OS X Server Maintenance

bankshot
Dec 13, 2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by ~Shard~
Ah, I can't wait to hear all the complaining.

Let me start it off for you then. Ahem.

We just ordered a dual 2 GHz G5 for work, + 23" cinema + a maxxed out Xserve RAID. I CAN'T BELIEVE APPLE IS SCREWING US OVER BY ALLEGEDLY RELEASING RUMORED FASTER MACHINES AND NEW DISPLAYS IN JUST ONE MONTH!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Apple HOW COULD YOU??? And if you even think about updating the Xserve RAID with more capacity or Serial ATA I WILL PERSONALLY GO UP THERE AND SMACK STEVE JOBS! I will never buy Apple again!! Apple sucks!!! AAAHHHH!!! :mad: :mad:

Hehe. :rolleyes:

I actually would have waited a month if I could. This machine will be doing major data processing / number crunching, so every extra MHz would have helped a bit. But our fiscal year is ending, and after that, the money turns into a pumpkin and disappears. So it was now or never. Plus our lab is running out of disk space quickly as we process current data, and we need that extra 2.5 TB in the RAID as soon as possible.. Can't wait to get it! :D

~Shard~
Dec 13, 2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by bankshot

We just ordered a dual 2 GHz G5 for work, + 23" cinema + a maxxed out Xserve RAID. I CAN'T BELIEVE APPLE IS SCREWING US OVER BY ALLEGEDLY RELEASING RUMORED FASTER MACHINES AND NEW DISPLAYS IN JUST ONE MONTH!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Apple HOW COULD YOU??? And if you even think about updating the Xserve RAID with more capacity or Serial ATA I WILL PERSONALLY GO UP THERE AND SMACK STEVE JOBS! I will never buy Apple again!! Apple sucks!!! AAAHHHH!!! :mad: :mad:

Hehe. :rolleyes:

I actually would have waited a month if I could. This machine will be doing major data processing / number crunching, so every extra MHz would have helped a bit. But our fiscal year is ending, and after that, the money turns into a pumpkin and disappears. So it was now or never. Plus our lab is running out of disk space quickly as we process current data, and we need that extra 2.5 TB in the RAID as soon as possible.. Can't wait to get it! :D

Heh heh - nice one. :D The scary thing is though, there will be people who post messages like that and will be completely serious. And oh what fun I will have with them... :cool:

pgwalsh
Dec 13, 2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by MacRAND

$9,999.00
Dual 2.6GHz PowerPC G5
2MB L3 cache per processor
2.0GB 533MHz DDR II RAM
4x180GB serial ATA (720GB)
Mac OS X Server (Unlimited client) 10.2.3
Dual Gigabit Ethernet
CD-ROM slot load drive
ATI graphics card with VGA
AppleCare Premium Support Plan
Mac OS X Server Maintenance

:p [/B] Only two gigs of RAM for 10K... Jackasses. :p

MacRAND
Dec 13, 2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by bankshot

We just ordered a dual 2 GHz G5 for work, + 23" cinema + a maxxed out Xserve RAID.
I actually would have waited a month if I could.
... our fiscal year is ending, and after that, the money turns into a pumpkin and disappears. So it was now or never. Plus our lab is running out of disk space quickly as we process current data, and we need that extra 2.5 TB in the RAID as soon as possible.. Can't wait to get it! :D Talk to Apple Enterprise. :) Get the Xserve now. But see if you can CANCEL and reorder the G5 order on the 31st for shipping on January 12th...with the understanding that you plan to upgrade in a week.
Then upgrade the G5 & Cinema 23 based on what happens a week later on January 6th. It's not just the $1000 loss in one week, it's not having the extra teeth to crunch with.
If you do nothing, then you get what you ordered. :cool:
But, if you at least try, then you could win a bonus. :D

btw, good post, funny. ;)

MacRAND
Dec 13, 2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by pgwalsh
Only two gigs of RAM for 10K... Jackasses. :p Actually, the cost of RAM would be part of any Sales Price regardless of the original package offered. Also, if single 2GB RAM chips are available then the Buyer may want to fill the 8 slots by installing after-market chips for a 16GB total (assuming Apple does not offer either the size or a good price), and the Buyer may want to remove any installed RAM in the package, if Apple fills 8 RAM slots with 256MB RAM chips to get 2GB - what a waste.

Apple says there is an "8GB limit" on the total of 8 slots because 2GB RAM chips are not readily available at the time of the offer, the current max is a 1GB chip.

You do realize that my post was a prognostication and not a realization. Right?
Fiction not fact.

DharvaBinky
Dec 13, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by willmg
I dont understand the need for DDR2 memory, in fact that may be a mistake as DDR2 is quite rare at the moment and most is being used only with High end graphics boards like 5700Ultra/5950Ultra. There is DDR1 memory currently at 533MHz sold by high end memory companies like OCZ and Mishkin, which could be used in these systems and would be much more resonably priced.

Bandwidth. Never again will Apple let these machines and their processors sit idle waiting on data to come from anywhere. Before it was the FSB of the G4, they won't let it be the memory.

Besides, 533MHz DDR2 is just about to be common place.

Elpidia and Micron are shipping DDR2 1Gb modules (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/34464.html)

:)

Dharvabinky

MacRAND
Dec 13, 2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by DharvaBinky
Bandwidth.
Never again will Apple let these machines and their processors sit idle waiting on data to come from anywhere.
Before it was the FSB of the G4, they won't let it be the memory.
Besides, 533MHz DDR2 is just about to be common place.
Dharvabinky Exactly!
The IBM G5 PPC chip has "server" heritage in its design, and we have only begun to see what this line of PPC chips can do with bandwith and throughput.
Just wait until Apple unleashes 64-bit capability through OS software activation.
Clock speed isn't everything.
Plus, think beyond "dual" chips in one build, and
think clusters... no longer a dream after VT's Big Mac G5 SuperComputer.

My dream is 4 G5 chips in a cluster interconnected microscopically on the same disc of silicone!
My fantacy is 9, then 16, or 25...

MacWhispers
Dec 13, 2003, 01:16 PM
There's so much focus in the rumor world on hardware. Really... my dream at the moment is to see Steve pace around the stage at MWSF, going on at length about the joys of plug and play clustering in the then-new update to OS X and OS X Server. Geez... the joys of scaling up my computing power by just plugging new machines into the network. Wow!

I have several machines around the office, all on a 1000baseT LAN. I keep dreaming of being able use my Dual 2GHz box for regular work, but then, when I have a heavy rendering task to tackle, just popping open a System Preferences pane, select ever how many of the other machines I can see there on the LAN, and add them into an on-demand cluster. <goosebumps appear on arms>

A little off-topic for the thread, but it popped into mind.

MacRAND
Dec 13, 2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by MacWhispers
...the joys of plug and play clustering in the then-new update to OS X and OS X Server. Geez... the joys of scaling up my computing power by just plugging new machines into the network. Wow!

A little off-topic for the thread, but it popped into mind.

System Preferences >
Network>
Ethernet>
Cluster> ZOOM!
Right on... topic!

;)

something
Dec 13, 2003, 04:54 PM
"I dont understand the need for DDR2 memory, in fact that may be a mistake as DDR2 is quite rare at the moment and most is being used only with High end graphics boards like 5700Ultra/5950Ultra. There is DDR1 memory currently at 533MHz sold by high end memory companies like OCZ and Mishkin, which could be used in these systems and would be much more resonably priced."

While DDR II isn't common in systems now, Intel's chipsets are going to move DDR II later on in 2004. Also, DDR II may be resevered for the Xserves as it would be more beneficial there. They don't know exactly how it's going to perform in comparison to DDR, since DDR exceeded expectations. DDR II doesn't have the same latency times that ultra fast DDR chips have, but the way the data is transmitted is also slightly different. The core clock of a DDR II 400Mhz chip is only 100Mhz, making it cheaper to produce. The slight differences expand on the way DDR works in comparison to SDR. I don't know it well enough to explain it, but DDR has its advantages over DDR II and vice versa. However, DDR II slots should be backwards compatible with DDR chips. This could mean a couple different things for the ram configurations in the next power mac and Xserve updates.

Also, in reference to another comment, RAID refers to different configurations of multiple harddrives, not CPUs nor distributive computing setups (aka clusters). Apple is using HyperTransport technology for the CPU interconnect I think.

My only hope for Apple is that they keep up this faster pace on the motherboard architecture. Hell, maybe they'll even have built in Serial Attached SCSI and SerialATA II channels eventually. I'm sure they'll pick up PCI Express and the new graphics card offerings. With that kind of bandwidth and speed one could probably play PC games at decent speeds through VirtualPC.

I don't see why people are yawning at this rumor of speed up dates, or complaints for that matter. 2.4GHz?? Apple was stuck at 1.4GHz until IBM saved the day. Now there's talk of a 4Ghz machine a year and a bit down the line. Let me remind you that with the chip upgrades from G5 to G6 there will be quite a few changes and clock for clock those chips will be even faster than their predecessor. At least Apple has a definite future now. The closest chip to compare a G5 with would be an AMD64 chip. They've just reached 2.2GHz. By the time the G5 updates come out, it'll be on par with that speed. I could care less about Intel's inflated speeds and prices.

goku
Dec 13, 2003, 06:01 PM
The poster could have meant RAIN where disk or drives is replaced by nodes. A few companies refer to RAIN 1 and RAIN 5 like EMC.

pgwalsh
Dec 13, 2003, 07:06 PM

You do realize that my post was a prognostication and not a realization. Right?
Fiction not fact.
:p Obviously... Though it's still a hight price for only 2 Gigs of RAM..and if they offered it for that much, I'd say Greedy Bastards!

MacRAND
Dec 13, 2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by pgwalsh
Obviously... Though it's still a high price for only 2 Gigs of RAM..and if they offered it for that much, I'd say Greedy Bastards! The RAM is free (and I guessed at the cost and everything);), it's the G5 chips that cost so much. Besides, buy it through MacMall and they'll double the RAM for a $35 installation charge. Tell 'em I sent you. :p

dongmin
Dec 13, 2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by MacWhispers
I keep dreaming of being able use my Dual 2GHz box for regular work, but then, when I have a heavy rendering task to tackle, just popping open a System Preferences pane, select ever how many of the other machines I can see there on the LAN, and add them into an on-demand cluster. <goosebumps appear on arms> you can already do network-based rendering with many 3-d programs. i think some (maya?) even take advantage of rendezvous to do that.

but i get the thrust of what you're saying. actually, what'd be really cool is all this clustering happened dynamically, 'behind-the-scenes' so to speak. os x should be able to automatically sense which computers on a network are idle and then distribute work to those idle computers.

stingerman
Dec 15, 2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by B-CarnageSelf
This is all well and good, but do you think we'll be finally seeing the release of the iPal? I saw screenshots of it a couple of months ago and personally can't wait!

It has been brought to my attention that the font used on the iPal packaging differs from their other releases. Could this possibly be a fake?

Maybe something like this:

http://www.tsubasa.com.tw/images/giken9.jpg

Lanbrown
Dec 15, 2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Gimzotoy
If I understand you correctly (and I'm not sure that I do, given the overabundance of negatives in that sentence), you do realize that there are a multitude of Athlon64 laptops out, don't you?

There have been 64-bit laptops for years now, yes years. AMD was not first in that market.

Lanbrown
Dec 15, 2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by coolkamio

Apple Powerbook 17" = 6,9pounds
Apple Powerbook 15" = 5,6pounds

How about this:
http://www.naturetech.com.tw/p737s.htm
2.7kgs, which is ~6 pounds?

Lanbrown
Dec 15, 2003, 08:54 AM

What about the dual core G4 or the G4+? The dual core probably won't be available until later in the next year, but would be nice to see in all of the systems that don't have the G5. The G4+ will be at .10 micron so a speed bump will be seen. I would forget about seeing a 750 processor, a 7450, yes.

MacRAND
Dec 15, 2003, 10:52 AM
8x SuperDrive (new)

Distracted by our focus on faster G5 Macs, I just realized that faster 8x SuperDrives are due to be released within weeks (obsolescing 4x DVD which obsolesced 2x DVD burners)

Therefore, can we expect Apple to start including 8x DVD burners in the new line of G5 Macs to be announced in January 2004 at MWSF ? Timing would be just right.

Historically, Apple was the first to introduce a 2x SuperDrive in a computer backed up by DV movie editing and DVD burning software with iDVD and iMovie and reasonably priced ($10 each) 2x DVD media. Another Apple first.

Apple immediately began installing 4x SuperDrives and selling 4x media ($5 each, now $4) when available (lowering even more the cost of 2x blanks to $4 then $3 each), so
why not expect
Apple to introduce 8x Superdrive along with 8x DVD media at MWSF 2004? and again
lower the cost of 2x and 4x DVD blanks?

Expect release of 3.5 upgrade to iDVD specifically addressing 8x burning speed.
:)

wrldwzrd89
Dec 15, 2003, 12:34 PM
I hope to see 8x SuperDrives in the new PowerMac G5s. I'm planning on buying one; having one of these speed demons would be pretty cool, I think. I wonder what the CD-R, CD-RW, (DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW if supported) burning speeds would be on these things?

segundo
Dec 15, 2003, 02:18 PM
I totally agree that we'll see 8x Superdrives. I think that is a given and fits well with a lot of the proposed systems people have mentioned. I'd still *really* like to see a consumer level system that doesn't have a monitor attached. I, like a few previous posters, don't necessarily need a pro-level system but I'm stuck between having to order an e/imac or a bottom line pro-system. Hopefully a reasonably priced consumer system will appear as well. If not, I might just have to bite the bullet and go big with a new G5 tower.

pgwalsh
Dec 15, 2003, 04:07 PM
8x SuperDrive (new)

Distracted by our focus on faster G5 Macs, I just realized that faster 8x SuperDrives are due to be released within weeks (obsolescing 4x DVD which obsolesced 2x DVD burners)
Already have one, but there's very little media available for it. Oh yes it's Mac compatible. So I would expect to see one.

akindabad
Dec 15, 2003, 05:41 PM
My Dream : an imac 20" G5 1.6 Ghz FSB 800 MHz, serial ATA, FW800,USB2, Bt, Aextreme, DDR I or II honestly i don t care :-) if i can go u to 2 or 4 Gb (please Apple),DVD-R 8x will be nice but 4x will do and for the video please no more nVidia thx ...

Everquest on Mac just THANKS for that.

~Shard~
Dec 15, 2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by akindabad
My Dream : an imac 20" G5 1.6 Ghz FSB 800 MHz, serial ATA, FW800,USB2, Bt, Aextreme, DDR I or II honestly i don t care :-) if i can go u to 2 or 4 Gb (please Apple),DVD-R 8x will be nice but 4x will do and for the video please no more nVidia thx ...

Keep dreaming! ;) That type of hardware will not be found in the iMac anytime soon. Maybe a G5 in spring or summer, at the earliest, but some of those other items will not be found in a consumer level model for quite a while, since they are still relatively new to the PowerMacs. Plus, if an iMac like that was released, it would be about $3500, not making it a consumer-level machine anymore. :) Which, I guess could happen if Apple wants to go with the eMac as the sole comsumer/inexpensive model....

I realize you said it was your dream, and not your predicition, so I know you weren't serious, but still, just thought I'd throw that in. :cool:

cosmos
Dec 18, 2003, 01:49 AM
I imagine that I will generate quite alot of flak from this post. As a background, I currently work for a Fortune 50 company that mainly services Wintel platforms in addition to MVS, UNIX, Novell and others too.

While my income is from consulting and supporting Wintel platforms, I have for several years used a MAC for my home needs.

From everything that I have gained in working with a very large enterprise, no matter what the advantages of xServe as a platform, it is not for mission critical applications.

I base this on several years of seeing exactly what fails from a hardware perspective. The two most common failures are hard drives and power supplies from my observations. The simple lack of redundant power supplies in the xServe simply rule it out in many large organizations. They have seen too many failures of power supplies in redundant systems that (thankfully) due to their design did not cause an outage. The single power supply in the current xServe is IMHO its greatest failing.

goku
Dec 21, 2003, 06:54 PM
Depends on the app. God knowns I have seen Ultra5 and Ultra2 being used for production apps with single power supplies in the server room.

Maybe Apple should work with IBM The new BladeCenters supports Intel and 2x1.6GHZ PP970 cpu. IBM is supporting Redhat and SuSe Linux on pp970 what if they were to support MacOs X? Of course Apple would not get the hardware sales but they would be going into DataCenters with IBM. For that matter IBM could just OEM the blades to Apple and have the Xserver Blade. I would like to see 2x2.6 PP970c. This would be a good fit for render farms and other clusters.

Mac-Xpert
Dec 22, 2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
Appleinsider reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=320)The best information available to the rumor site indicates that the new models will come in at 2.0Ghz, 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz configurations. Previous notes (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031204180906.shtml), however, had indicated that IBM was producing chips as fast as 2.6GHz at this time. Other expectations remain the same with the use of 90nm PowerPCs, 533MHz DDR II RAM, a faster system bus (up to 1.5GHz).

Is it me or are those rumored speeds getting slower every day?

The first posts said something about speeds around 2.6-2.8 ghz, then it was toped at 2.6, and now we’re down at 2.4.

If it gets any slower it really starts to sound very “Moto” to me.

neonart
Dec 22, 2003, 07:57 AM
2.4 is a nice jump from 2.0. It's lmost half a Ghz. 2.4 or 2.6 are logical steps to reach 3Ghz in late summer.
2.8 Ghz is not a realistic number - it would screw up a 3.0 Ghz Release.
<<<EDITED DUE TO MY LOUSY MATH SKILLS>>>
I think the reality will be a single 2.0, dual 2.2, and dual 2.4.

Mac-Xpert
Dec 22, 2003, 09:13 AM
I guess 2.4 ghz would be O.K. although I hope it will be more something like:
Dual 2.0
Dual 2.4
Dual 2.6

Quote: "Besides a 2.8 Ghz machine would need a 1600Mhz system bus, which is not supported by current motherboards."

I don't see why a 2.8 system requires a 1600 Mhz bus. Wouldn't they stick with just half the bus-speed (1400 mhz)?

We probably just have to wait and see what they will come up with.

neonart
Dec 22, 2003, 06:20 PM
Your right. My math 'skillz' are sad. A 2.8 Ghz is doable on the current boards.

I still think it would be a rather fast jump that would not sync with the roadmap for the chip.