PDA

View Full Version : Just got a iMac G5 Rev a 20". I have a few quetsions

BradClarke
Jul 2, 2008, 11:54 PM
A few days ago i won an 20" iMac G5 off ebay for $519 (thats with shipping and everything). I have a few qeustions, for you guys. Heres the specs

SPECS:
Imac G5 20" 1.8GHZ Single core
(M9250LL/A)
512 MB of Ram
64VRam (video ram) (NVIDIA GeForce 5200 Ultra GPU)
160 gig harddrive

Questions:

- How is this machine at handling games? I do own a copy of the sims 2 for mac, and i wanted to know if this machine can handle games, even if not great, atleast decent, or playable?

- I also have a copy of leopard, is it safe to install it on the machine? I do plan on upgrading the ram up to 2gigs in the later weeks, but i would like to have leopard on it now, will it work fine? also will it damage my machine? (Ive heard numerous reports of people getting increased fan speeds, and over heating)

Anyways thanks guys, im just waiting for my new baby to come in the mail.

gehrbox
Jul 3, 2008, 12:19 AM
A few days ago i won an 20" iMac G5 off ebay for $519 (thats with shipping and everything). I have a few qeustions, for you guys. Heres the specs

SPECS:
Imac G5 20" 1.8GHZ Single core
(M9250LL/A)
512 MB of Ram
64VRam (video ram) (NVIDIA GeForce 5200 Ultra GPU)
160 gig harddrive

Questions:

- How is this machine at handling games? I do own a copy of the sims 2 for mac, and i wanted to know if this machine can handle games, even if not great, atleast decent, or playable?

- I also have a copy of leopard, is it safe to install it on the machine? I do plan on upgrading the ram up to 2gigs in the later weeks, but i would like to have leopard on it now, will it work fine? also will it damage my machine? (Ive heard numerous reports of people getting increased fan speeds, and over heating)

Is it safe to install Leopard? Sure Is it going to run well with it? Not with only 512MB ram. Would it damage it? No. Upgrade the memory to 2GB first.

Can't help ya in the game dept, but that low memory spec would cause pain. The video card is only 64MB as well, but I would imagine would be Ok with older games.

kevlong
Jul 3, 2008, 02:35 AM
I have owned a version 1a iMac G5 for over 3 1/2 years. For me your biggest problem will be RAM. Even when I bought the machine all that time ago I still stuck in the full 2GB of 3rd party RAM, it makes all the difference and Leopard will need it. Leopard should still install in 512MB, but don't expect to do very much with it. In all the time I've had the machine, I personally have never experienced the flat-out fan speeds!

On the games side, it is really only average, being mainly let down by the graphics card. Sims, may be OK though, try searching your machine and Sims and see if anyone has any direct experience.

Good luck,

Kevlong

joepic
Jul 3, 2008, 06:35 AM
As a PC Sims player, (soon to be Mac) the processor will handle the game well. However, you definitely would need more RAM for a pleasurable experience.
Although the video card is not exceptional, you would get by in the game, just turn down some graphical settings.

As for Leopard - just add more RAM. 1GB at the least.