Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cesoca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Brazil
I've been trying to install the latest update (2.1) to Boot Camp via software update without success. Windows refuse to complete the installation. Does anyone have experienced the same problem?

BananaEater

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2006
Norway
Lot's of people have problems with the update. Me included.

This worked for me:

1) run: regedit.exe

2) search for: Boot Camp Services
the key should be: ProductName

3) change in the same path, the Language key to: 1033

4) run the installer again

Cesoca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Brazil

This worked for me:

I'm completely illiterate when it comes to Windows OS, I've been using it for less than a week, so my question is: how do I "run regedit.exe"?

xpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
If XP, click "Run" in the lower right of the start menu and enter "regedit."

If Vista, enter "regedit" in the search box at the bottom of the start menu.

(you get to the start menus by clicking on the Windows icon on the lower left of the screen)

Cesoca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Brazil
If XP, click "Run" in the lower right of the start menu and enter "regedit."

If Vista, enter "regedit" in the search box at the bottom of the start menu.

(you get to the start menus by clicking on the Windows icon on the lower left of the screen)

Thanks.

Cesoca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Brazil
Are you running Leopard & therefore Boot Camp 2.0?

Or are you running Tiger and Boot Camp 1.4?

Mac OS partition: Leopard with Boot Camp 2.0 installed.

Windows OS partition: Vista Ultimate 64 bits.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Are you running Leopard & therefore Boot Camp 2.0?

Or are you running Tiger and Boot Camp 1.4?

That should matter.

I have a bootcamp partition created with Tiger. Still running Tiger, but updated Boot Camp driver in xp to the latest.

Bootcamp drivers are window OS specific. You have to get the right version. For example it's a different version for 32bit and 64bit, different for Vista and XP.

Cesoca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Brazil
That should matter.

I have a bootcamp partition created with Tiger. Still running Tiger, but updated Boot Camp driver in xp to the latest.

Bootcamp drivers are window OS specific. You have to get the right version. For example it's a different version for 32bit and 64bit, different for Vista and XP.

Well, since the version downloaded through software update didn't work, I decided to download the one specific to Vista 64 from the Apple website download page. Again, I didn't succeed to install it, after a few attempts the installer stopped to run. BananaEater's suggestion didn't help either. I think Apple should address this issue.

Toweri

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
If you cannot find "Boot Camp Services" in registry

This worked for me:

In addition to these instructions, any non-US / non-english users, please be advised that registry item "Boot Camp Services" may not exist in your system. The item name is country-specific - even on english Windows.

Therefore, instead of searching for "Boot Camp Services" in Windows registry, search for "Boot Camp" only. The "Services" part is e.g. in my system "Palvelut" (finnish for 'services'.)

By searching for "Boot Camp", you will locate the correct registry item easily (notwithstanding what 'Services' is in your language) and you can change the Language key to 409 (Hex) or 1033 (decimal).

Now the BCUpdateXP.exe (V2.1) will launch correctly and do its stuff... :cool:

I have submitted this to Apple as a Boot Camp bug. Hopefully they fix this on the next release.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
Hey all - sorry to bump an old thread. I'm currently separated form my Leopard disk and will only get back to it in 4 days time. If I haven't got Boot Camp 2.0 installed, meaning I just partitioned and formatted and installed windows, nothing else, and I can't get BC 2.1 to work, what should I do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.