PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini slot-load drive into iMac G3?

sallythemac
Jul 3, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hi there. I have currently acquired a few old Macs. I have got an iMac G3 SE with a slot loading drive. The computer is fine all barr the slot load drive - it has died. I have also got a PPC Mac Mini with a suggested logic board failure.

Does anybody think there is a chance i could replace the broken slot load drive in the iMac with the working one from the mac mini? i don't want to start opening the iMac up if someone already knows theres no chance it would work.

Thanks!

Cave Man
Jul 3, 2008, 07:23 PM
They should both be PATA. The drive in my Mini is Matshita CW-8124. Google it to spec its ff.

4JNA
Jul 4, 2008, 11:14 AM
yes it will work, but with a couple problems to fix.

you need an adapter like THIS (http://www.xpcgear.com/slimodtoide.html) to adapt the new drive to the IDE cable.

it will also not mount like the original as the new drive is smaller. that is, you can't remove the old one and have the new one bolt right it. don't know how you feel about mods, but i would recommend removing the old drive, take the guts out (save the exterior metal case) and mount the new drive in the old drive case. that way, it would go right back into place and mount with the original screws. some good double sided tape, check for correct slot placement so discs go in and out without hitting the edge of the front slot, should be good to go. best of luck.