Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
For General Interest and Marketing/Business:

Holiday Inn

InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) announces worldwide brand relaunch of Holiday Inn

InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) today announces a worldwide relaunch of the Holiday Inn brand family, comprising Holiday Inn, Express by Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express ('Holiday Inn').

http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?PageID=414&NewsID=1888

Old

HI_Logo.jpg

HIEX_Logo.jpg

New

holiday_inn_logo_detail.gif

holiday_inn_extra_04.gif

Walmart

Walmart U.S. Refreshes Stores' Logo

For the past two years, a customer focused transformation has been taking place in Walmart's U.S. business.

Walmart’s U.S. locations will update store logos as part of an ongoing evolution of its overall brand - customers have already seen this in refreshed store signage and recent print advertisements and TV commercials.

http://walmartstores.com/FactsNews/NewsRoom/8411.aspx

Old

walmart.jpeg

New

Wal-Mart%27s_official_new_logo.jpg

One interesting thing about the refresh is that the brand name now seems to be one whole word instead of hyphenated. This is present in the logo and press release.

The Walmart rebranding reminds me of the Meijer (a chain that features stores similar to Walmart Supercenters) rebranding a few years ago:

Meijer.gif

meijer.gif

Interesting article in Business Week about other companies who recently refreshed their logos: http://www.businessweek.com/innovat...?chan=top+news_top+news+index_news+++analysis

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'm not a huge fan of the new Holiday Inn logo, but the old one was dated and the new one is definitely more modern looking, so you can't fault them for that. The new Walmart logo, on the other hand, is terrible. Sure, the old one was a little boring, but the new one is just as boring, isn't as distinct, and is really just completely unnecessary.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I'm not a huge fan of the new Holiday Inn logo, but the old one was dated and the new one is definitely more modern looking, so you can't fault them for that. The new Walmart logo, on the other hand, is terrible. Sure, the old one was a little boring, but the new one is just as boring, isn't as distinct, and is really just completely unnecessary.

The Holiday Inn logo was in desperate need of a refresher, but I think the new one is very bland.

I actually like the new Walmart one a lot. It is modern and up-to-date, and it definitely does make the company seem more approachable.

The approachability factor was the impetus behind using all lower-case styling in the redesign of the AT&T logo.

att_orig.jpg

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Delta Air Lines rebranded last year (2007)
They went through some turbulent times (still are)

logo1995.gif

Standard corporate widget introduced in 1959 as they entered the "jet" era
This is the logo as of 1995

logo2000.gif

Introduced in 2000 this is the so called "soft widget" that rounded the corners
Known by the employees as the "frowny widget", not well received by the rank and file and "old timers" :rolleyes:

logo2004.gif

In 2004 they returned to the "classic widget" as Delta sought to reclaim it's roots (but dropped "Air Lines" on the logo ;)

logo2007.gif

In 2007, coming out of bankruptcy and heading into a new era :eek:

They currently have 3 or 4 livery styles (paint jobs on their airplanes)
Changes came faster than they could catch up to... including "Song"

With the merger with Northwest, who knows how the branding will change :rolleyes:

Full brand logo history found here:
Delta Air Lines logo history

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
The old Holiday Inn logo did need updating, but the new one is not "it".

As for the Wal-Mart logo...the old one was boring but serviceable. The new one...well, I can see people using that "star" after the name as if it were an asterisk...like this:

WALMART*
*Always low wages

Lemme see if I can work up something better for that star.

EDIT: There. Fixed it for them.

Attachments

• Wal-Mart's_official_new_log.jpg
    Wal-Mart's_official_new_log.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 89

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
As for the Wal-Mart logo...the old one was boring but serviceable. The new one...well, I can see people using that "star" after the name as if it were an asterisk...like this:

WALMART*
*Always low wages

Lemme see if I can work up something better for that star.

EDIT: There. Fixed it for them.

The star used in your version looks like a pentagram. And the font... am I picking up a subliminal hint regarding Wal-Mart's business practices?;)

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
mccain_logo.gif

Now that the dust has settled on the Democratic Presidential Primaries, the general election for the office of President of the United States has finally begun. Senator Barack Obama, with his populist message of hope and change for America, will challenge Republican senator John McCain for America's vote. Between now and November, signs, banners and billboards will proliferate across the land, from shop windows to front lawns, pitting neighbors, families and friends against one another as politics take center stage.

In terms of branding, Obama has a clear advantage over McCain. His iconic "sunrise within an O" mark is symbolic of hope and the dawn of a new day in politics. Until recently, McCain's brand, while more conservative in execution, was very appropriate to the candidate's background, drawing inspiration from a naval officer's uniform. McCain himself admitted during a recent interview with Charlie Gibson on ABC's World News Tonight that he has a "brand issue" to contend with and, because of it, is clearly the underdog.

In response to this admission, the McCain campaign has launched a new identity, one that we can assume is meant to help improve his image with younger voters and Independents, two demographics that will make a difference in this year's election. One of the biggest issues each candidate is campaigning for or against is the war in Iraq, which has become quite unpopular among constituents. It seems that McCain's new brand is meant to downplay the aspects of his military background, as well as the idea that he would continue the "war mongering" policies of President Bush.

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
new holiday inn [express] logo = 'appropriation' of the photoshop cs3 logo? + myspace's new header identity seems to follow the same aesthetics. someone correct me if there is a good reference of use before CS3.

new walmart logo lacks all personality. the old one was stern and allowed the consumer to see the big warehouse through its bold established feeling.. but the new one seems to be taking muscle relaxers and is trying too hard to be your friend.

bah i'm disappointed.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
The new Walmart logo reminds me of the BC Children's Hospital's logo, which needless to say, is not the image you want to project of your company. Unless you're a sponsor, of course.

Attachments

• BCCH_4Colour.jpg
    BCCH_4Colour.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 63

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The Holiday Inn logo was in desperate need of a refresher, but I think the new one is very bland.

I actually like the new Walmart one a lot. It is modern and up-to-date, and it definitely does make the company seem more approachable.

The approachability factor was the impetus behind using all lower-case styling in the redesign of the AT&T logo.

If the lowercase letters are supposed to make me want to shop at Walmart, they're failing ;)

At least I now know how to type it out. I was never sure if it was Wal Mart, Walmart, Wal-Mart, or what. "Trailer Trash Craphole" works just as well though :D

But seriously though, I understand the need for companies to change logos every now and then to keep them fresh and not looking ancient like the old Walmart, AT&T and Delta logos, but this whole approachability thing, do people really shop at places based on logos? Are consumers really that fickle? I'll admit, if a company I've never heard of has a logo that looks like a 10 year old made it in MS Paint, I'm probably going to avoid them, but for a company like Walmart, everyone's made their decision on whether or not to shop there, I don't see a more "approachable" logo changing that.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
The Holiday Inn logo reminds me of any or all of the following:
• Gum
• Paper towels
• Bleach

And if I have to see that Walmart logo every time I go there, I might have to stop shopping at Walmart altogether. Or at least shield my eyes as I walk in. It looks terrible.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The Holiday Inn logo reminds me of any or all of the following:
• Gum
• Paper towels
• Bleach

And if I have to see that Walmart logo every time I go there, I might have to stop shopping at Walmart altogether. Or at least shield my eyes as I walk in. It looks terrible.

You should do the world a favor and stop shopping there anyways ;)

I go to Target, even if they are slightly more expensive. I'd rather not give the scumbags who run Wally World my money

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
You should do the world a favor and stop shopping there anyways ;)

I go to Target, even if they are slightly more expensive. I'd rather not give the scumbags who run Wally World my money

I really would, but it's not like I shop there all the time anyways.

After another look at it, that Walmart logo is even more hideous now that I think about it. The only message I get out of it is "environmentally helpful" and "energy efficient." Like a lightbulb or something.

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
It looks like Holiday Inn is trying to go for a integrated look with their two logos. Before the only thing that carried over from logo to logo was the font though now you have the stylized 'H' in both. It'll be interesting to see if the go with a similar styling for both hotels when they relaunch their websites. You got to love integrated marketing.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    320.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    236.8 KB · Views: 70
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.