PDA

View Full Version : Apple Pro Runtime 1.5.1

MacRumors
Dec 13, 2003, 05:03 PM
Apple updated some of their Pro applications on Friday with Pro App Runtime 1.5.1. The update is available in Software Update for those with these applications installed

This update provides improvements for Apple's professional applications, and is strongly recommended for all users of Final Cut Pro, Cinema Tools, Compressor, LiveType, Soundtrack, and DVD Studio Pro. This update improves general user interface appearance and reliability and is required to receive future updates for these applications.

Pismo
Dec 13, 2003, 05:12 PM
I have DVD Studio Pro 2 and I tried using Software Update but the update isn't showing up. Is there a link to get the update?

gopher
Dec 13, 2003, 06:03 PM
This looks mighty similar:

http://www.apple.com/dvdstudiopro/download/

henryblackman
Dec 13, 2003, 06:46 PM
I'm heartened to see Apple are concerned with software performance.

I think Apple seem to be one of the few companies who consider this to be a priority.

While I don't generally diss MS, they seem advertise increased performance across versions of Windows and Office (etc), but seem to measure this with the current (at the time) fastest machine. So, every time they release Windows they say "faster than ever", but what they mean is... it's faster now you're running a P4-3GHz whilst before you were only running a P3-1.1GHz.

Apple seem to be almost alone in boosting performance across versions measured by using the exact same machine. Whilst they probably had a "slow" OS to start with, I find it encouraging they still want to optimise, rather than tell us to buy a new G5 for a faster GUI etc.

Good for them!

punter
Dec 13, 2003, 07:32 PM
i just realised I am no a pro user :( not by this definition anyway.

wuntrikpony
Dec 13, 2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by henryblackman
Whilst they probably had a "slow" OS to start with, I find it encouraging they still want to optimise, rather than tell us to buy a new G5 for a faster GUI etc.

Good for them!

Let's not get all happy about Apple improving GUI speed. My G4 500 with FCP2 in OS9 has a faster GUI than my Dual 1.42 G4 in 10.3.1 running FCP4.1

wuntrikpony
Dec 13, 2003, 08:38 PM
LAME? If your job depended on FCP too, you wouldn't say something so foolish.

blueBomber
Dec 13, 2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by wuntrikpony
I agree.

simX
Dec 13, 2003, 09:59 PM

So then why don't you just go and stick with Mac OS 9 since it's so much better? :rolleyes:

Pismo
Dec 13, 2003, 10:05 PM
Nevermind, I go it

wuntrikpony
Dec 13, 2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by simX
So then why don't you just go and stick with Mac OS 9 since it's so much better? :rolleyes:

It's not better, it's just has a faster GUI. Also, I use a jog shuttle controller, and it has so much of a delay on it now that it is hardly useful anymore. The reason being that hitting play now takes longer for the video to start playing than it did before. I still love FCP4 more than anything. I have given up speed so I could have features, but it is unfortunate that the speed has been hit so hard.

foniks2020
Dec 13, 2003, 11:10 PM

This has been the way of OS/App developement since the beginning. Mature OS + App developed for mature OS will beat any 'new' solution at doing the same thing hands down. Problem is that the mature OS has reached it's limit, it has peaked and you will undoubtably begin to see diminishing returns on any more advanced operations you plan on implementing.

You can see the same competition happening with combustion engines vs. electric engines. It's mirrored again and again in any mature tech vs. new, hopefully more robust tech.

e2chris
Dec 13, 2003, 11:10 PM

./ignore simX

wuntrikpony
Dec 13, 2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by e2chris
./ignore simX

Ya, sorry bout that.

me_94501
Dec 13, 2003, 11:31 PM
Let's not get all happy about Apple improving GUI speed. My G4 500 with FCP2 in OS9 has a faster GUI than my Dual 1.42 G4 in 10.3.1 running FCP4.1
I think henryblackman was referring to the speed increases made since 10.0 was released.

wuntrikpony
Dec 13, 2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by me_94501
I think henryblackman was referring to the speed increases made since 10.0 was released.

Yes, I understand.

WM.
Dec 14, 2003, 01:04 AM
Did this new Pro Runtime thingy help at all?

Just curious :)
WM

simX
Dec 14, 2003, 02:25 AM
It's not better, it's just has a faster GUI. Also, I use a jog shuttle controller, and it has so much of a delay on it now that it is hardly useful anymore. The reason being that hitting play now takes longer for the video to start playing than it did before. I still love FCP4 more than anything. I have given up speed so I could have features, but it is unfortunate that the speed has been hit so hard.

Then please explain to me why you aren't happy that Apple is concerned about improving GUI speed. See relevant quote:

gopher
Dec 14, 2003, 02:53 AM

Umm...My Mac OS X is faster than I've ever seen anything in Mac OS 9. If yours isn't, you haven't done what is needed to keep your Mac OS X optimized:

http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html

Panther is really fast on the 1.33 Ghz Powerbook with only 512MB of RAM.

maxterpiece
Dec 14, 2003, 03:20 AM
Hale-gosh-darn-llujah. Not a soul on this planet has a clue about how long I've been waiting for this one! Let's just say January 15, 1927 at 3:04pm. I feel so free. Free from the shackles of this unholy society that has been bread into my skin. Oh torturous fantasies, you have not betrayed me! Runtime runtime runtime.

dho
Dec 14, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by maxterpiece
Hale-gosh-darn-llujah. Not a soul on this planet has a clue about how long I've been waiting for this one! Let's just say January 15, 1927 at 3:04pm. I feel so free. Free from the shackles of this unholy society that has been bread into my skin. Oh torturous fantasies, you have not betrayed me! Runtime runtime runtime.
all i have to say is "drugs are bad" :)

anyway, glad to see they are boosting performance on the apps that really need it.

Rod Rod
Dec 14, 2003, 12:42 PM
Then please explain to me why you aren't happy that Apple is concerned about improving GUI speed. See relevant quote:

He's happy about Apple's efforts to improve GUI speed. He's just expressing that he's skeptical about the speed improvements.

tny
Dec 14, 2003, 07:30 PM

More features = more code = less performance on the same machine.

wuntrikpony
Dec 14, 2003, 07:32 PM
Yes, I understand.

gopher
Dec 14, 2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by tny
More features = more code = less performance on the same machine.

Not necessarily. A good program can be designed to not let non-active code interfere with working code. A great example of this is games which modularize their data files. Civilization III does this a lot.

Scottgfx
Dec 14, 2003, 08:29 PM

A couple of things...

I have read of some problems with FCP 4.0, and have also read that 4.1 helped a lot. So, make sure you update if you haven't already.

Delays in playback? What kind of footage are you using? DV? Uncompressed? and what kind of hard drive system?

I'm assuming you have a Contour Design shuttle control? Check www.macupdate.com to find a newer driver. There seems to be some issues as to who has the updates. I had to do a lot of searching to find a newer driver. If I recall correctly, the newer drivers were more responsive. I haven't used mine in a little while as I'm still settling into a new G5.

Finally, OS9's GUI was very simple compared to Quartz. As Quartz Extreme offloads more stuff onto OpenGL in hardware, a fast 3D card with fast access to system memory becomes more important than how fast the main processor is for the GUI. The GUI anymore, is a full 3D compositing engine, more powerful than the $100,000 3D video hardware I used to use 10 years ago! (GVG Kaleidoscope)

wuntrikpony
Dec 14, 2003, 08:40 PM
Im not a simpleton. I have updated everything. I understand how things work. Please do not suggest simple solutions.

Originally posted by Scottgfx
Delays in playback? What kind of footage are you using? DV? Uncompressed? and what kind of hard drive system?

I am using DV footage with 7200rpm ata drives with an 8meg chache. This is sufficient for DV. Im not a simpleton. I have updated everything. I understand how things work. Please do not suggest simple solutions.

Scottgfx
Dec 14, 2003, 08:59 PM
Im not a simpleton. I have updated everything. I understand how things work. Please do not suggest simple solutions.

I offer help and this is the response I get? In all of my years in the video industry, I have never met a professional as adverse to a little help. Even if the advice wasn't helpful, the nice thing to do would have been to say thank you, smile and move along. But to get such a condescending response. I never called you a simpleton, I simply wanted to provide some help. If not to you, then to someone else who might be reading of your problems. Do you react the same way to advice on creativecow.net or 2-pop.com?

Amazing!

wuntrikpony
Dec 14, 2003, 09:19 PM
Scottgfx -

Sorry bout that, I am just kinda fed up with this thread. I was pissed off at others here. No hard feelings. This topic has always bothered me.

stingerman
Dec 14, 2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by maxterpiece

huh

simX
Dec 15, 2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Rod Rod
He's happy about Apple's efforts to improve GUI speed. He's just expressing that he's skeptical about the speed improvements.

Doesn't seem that way to me. If he was, and wasn't just going on another rant about Mac OS X GUI speed, he would've told us the results of the update after he installed it, and perhaps not directed his comments at Apple's desire to improve GUI responsiveness, rather directing them at the actual sluggishness of the GUI.

Rod Rod
Dec 15, 2003, 01:30 AM
ok, I'm just a little more optimistic in how I read other people's comments.

anyhow, I can tell you that FCP 4.1 and Compressor 1.1 absolutely rock. this is just anecdotal, but when I apply the broadcast safe filter in FCP 3 on an hour-long program (which is my final step before exporting and then encoding for DVD, to be kind to people's TVs), it takes 14-16 hours to render on a 700 MHz eMac with 1 GB RAM. In FCP 4.1 on the same eMac, a 45 minute program takes 3 hours to render the broadcast safe filter, which means FCP 4.1 is about 3-4x faster than FCP 3. (I haven't done an hour-long program with FCP 4.1 yet). I know this doesn't relate to the GUI but it does relate to the matter of speed.

wilco
Dec 15, 2003, 09:53 AM

What a dick.