PDA

View Full Version : Watching videos from iMac onto LCD TV

pkiula
Jul 6, 2008, 12:30 AM
Hi

This is what I do now:

1. Convert an AVI file and subtitles files into an ffmpeg DVD format file (mpg).
2. Use Roxio Toast to burn this file onto the DVD.
3. Play DVD in DVD player to watch on home theater system.
(Approximate time for everything: 90 minutes--and if everything goes ok)

This is what I would like to do:

1. Watch the AVI file with subtitles on VLC Player on my computer and have it beamed to my LCD automatically.
(Approximate time: 0 minutes)

Now, for my scenario 2, could I use Apple TV to beam stuff on to the LCD TV in my living room? (Using Airport Extreme or whatever)?

Basically, I want to have *nothing* to do with iTunes at any stage in the process. Is this possible with Apple TV?

Thanks!

swiftaw
Jul 6, 2008, 12:34 AM
Hi

This is what I do now:

1. Convert an AVI file and subtitles files into an ffmpeg DVD format file (mpg).

1. Watch the AVI file with subtitles on VLC Player on my computer and have it beamed to my LCD automatically.

Now, for my scenario 2, could I use Apple TV to beam stuff on to the LCD TV in my living room? (Using Airport Extreme or whatever)?

Basically, I want to have *nothing* to do with iTunes at any stage in the process. Is this possible with Apple TV?

Thanks!

Short Answer, No.

You could pick up a refurb Mac Mini instead, and connect that to your TV. That would work.

pkiula
Jul 6, 2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks. I thought so. But with Mac Mini, could I easily share movie files between my iMac and the mini? Would this be on some kind of wireless file sharing thing?

Thanks!

swiftaw
Jul 6, 2008, 12:40 AM
Thanks. I thought so. But with Mac Mini, could I easily share movie files between my iMac and the mini? Would this be on some kind of wireless file sharing thing?

Thanks!

If they were both on the same network then they can both easily access each other's files via network file sharing.

Kashchei
Jul 6, 2008, 12:42 AM
Short Answer, No.

You could pick up a refurb Mac Mini instead, and connect that to your TV. That would work.

I'm sorry to ask a stupid question, but what is the connector that the mini has that other models don't? I'd love to hook my mini up to my tv but I didn't know this was possible!

swiftaw
Jul 6, 2008, 12:45 AM
I'm sorry to ask a stupid question, but what is the connector that the mini has that other models don't? I'd love to hook my mini up to my tv but I didn't know this was possible!

You can connect any mac to your tv, depending on what inputs your TV has. There is nothing special about the mini.

Kashchei
Jul 6, 2008, 12:48 AM
You can connect any mac to your tv, depending on what inputs your TV has. There is nothing special about the mini.

Thanks so much for the info, swiftaw!

tom1971
Jul 6, 2008, 07:32 AM
Hi

This is what I do now:

Thanks!

You CAN watch AVI's on your Apple TV without having to do anything with itunes, re-encoding etc.
The way to do it is to install additional software and codecs on your ATV, aka Patching. you would not use VLC but another media player.
So there is a way to do.
Patching is pretty simple.
PM me if you need more info.

Alan Taylor
Jul 6, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hi

This is what I do now:

Thanks!

Why not get a DVI->S-Video dongle, and have your TV mirror the iMac display? It will only cost about $20...

pkiula
Jul 6, 2008, 11:15 AM
What is a dongle? If it is something like a cable or physical connection, I cannot do it. My iMac and my TV are in two different parts of the house.

mpshay
Jul 6, 2008, 02:11 PM
Why not get a DVI->S-Video dongle, and have your TV mirror the iMac display? It will only cost about $20...

If the TV supports it I'd go with a DVI to HDMI cable. Depending upon length it's only about $10. This will be the highest quality video option. Then you just need to get audio out of the computer (unlike HDMI, DVI does not carry audio information)