PDA

View Full Version : What reasonable things would you like to see in the MBA version 2?

DrivinWest
Jul 6, 2008, 09:38 AM
I stated reasonable in the topic title as we'd all like Core 2 Extremes, 1TB SSDs, and 8GB of RAM!

Beyond the obvious storage and CPU bumps, I'd like to see a power brick that functions as an Ethernet port and transmits via WiFi to the MBA. The Voodoo Envy 133 does this and I think it's flippin' genius! If Apple could one-up Voodoo by adding a modem and a couple USB ports to the brick that would be fantastic.

Tallest Skil
Jul 6, 2008, 09:41 AM
Apple had a patent a few years back for collapsible ports. As in, all of the ports are smaller than the regular spec. I think we'll see built-in Ethernet and one FireWire in the next MacBook Air.

http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/2/7/8/patent-up-port-door-2.JPG

sushi
Jul 6, 2008, 09:43 AM
I think we'll see built-in Ethernet and one FireWire in the next MacBook Air.
If we see any more ports, I agree with your guess. We might see an additional USB port as well.

Firewire would be the best option of the three IMHO.

With Firewire, you could put the MBA in Target Mode with your desktop which would be fantastic. Plus it would allow for faster data transfer to/from an external HD.

Tosser
Jul 6, 2008, 09:52 AM
The sides (and bezel) cut off, so there will be no need for mechanically hinged ports.
It would also make it easier to plug decent headphones into it.

Another USB-port (i.e. two in all)

And, I'm in doubt whether I would want a real FW-port, or "simply" an expresscard-slot (I could use an expresscard-fw adaptor, other people could use the slot for, say, an SDHC-adaptor, an ethernet-adaptor or whatever they chose). This is not just a preference, I really cannot do without a FW-connection (my recorder uses fw).

A MATTE screen – at least as an option.

Better resolution. At least as the Thinkpad X300

Swappable batteries. I'm not buying an over-mature over-sized iPhone.

Also, they could do well if they skipped some of that taper, if not all of it, and also ditched the alu-part and made a proper computer.

phalewhale
Jul 6, 2008, 09:56 AM
Apple had a patent a few years back for collapsible ports. As in, all of the ports are smaller than the regular spec. I think we'll see built-in Ethernet and one FireWire in the next MacBook Air.

http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/2/7/8/patent-up-port-door-2.JPG

Whilst I wouldn't write this off, the trend seems to be moving away from wires. I'm sure I've seen/heard a quote from Jobs somewhere to that effect. In pro environments though, ethernet will continue to be a must for some time I reckon. Hence the USB>Ethernet adapter.

I would just like to see:

More USB ports
User upgradeable battery
Smaller screen option (say 10")
eSATA port

DrivinWest
Jul 6, 2008, 09:59 AM
One obvious thing about the power brick idea is that it could probably be made to work with MBA version 1. I suppose my wish isn't so much for the MBA but for the brick.

I like the idea of the expandable/collapsible ports but I think the implementation could be awful. I just see them as being far to delicate, all the more reason why I think a WiFi power brick is a better solution.

Oooh, how about a "slice" that mates to the bottom of the MBA and adds a 2.5" HDD, Superdrive, and ports!? If it could add additional processing power too that'd be very cool. Put the whole thing in a package that 's as thin as an MBP and they'd sell like mad.

Tallest Skil
Jul 6, 2008, 09:59 AM
eSATA port

There isn't even eSATA on the Mac Pros. I don't think so for a consumer notebook.

Okay, there's a wireless USB spec. What if Apple added that? To compliment it, they'll come up with a Wireless FireWire spec.

Tosser
Jul 6, 2008, 10:01 AM
Whilst I wouldn't write this off, the trend seems to be moving away from wires. I'm sure I've seen/heard a quote from Jobs somewhere to that effect. In pro environments though, ethernet will continue to be a must for some time I reckon. Hence the USB>Ethernet adapter.
And for transfers and audio/video, nothing beats wire. If for nothing else, then for audio/video quality (less risk of interference), simpler set up and so on.

More USB ports
User upgradeable battery
Smaller screen option (say 10")
eSATA port

I didn't know one could make a list on forums like that. 'Tis good to know :)

Edit/Add (using the new-found list-code:

I forgot to mention:

Better thermal paste than on the MBA 1
Faster charging, than with the MBA 1 (45 watts – puhlease!)

sushi
Jul 6, 2008, 10:01 AM
A MATTE screen – at least as an option.
Would really like to see this option.

mkrishnan
Jul 6, 2008, 10:02 AM
Weight loss is the major thing I'd like to see....

The idea of the power brick being a hub is an interesting one; I'm not sure if I'd use it or not, but it is an interesting idea.

thejadedmonkey
Jul 6, 2008, 10:05 AM
I'd give it firewire. and a 2nd USB port, and ethernet. Then I'd consider buying it, but honestly I'm probably just going to get a Dell E and then get desktops from now on.

sushi
Jul 6, 2008, 10:07 AM
Even a 12 inch screen would be fine in that regard.

A lighter model would be nice.

DrivinWest
Jul 6, 2008, 10:13 AM
I'd give it firewire. and a 2nd USB port, and ethernet. Then I'd consider buying it, but honestly I'm probably just going to get a Dell E and then get desktops from now on.

As much as it pains me to do so, I'm probably going to buy a Dell D430 or D630 in the next few weeks. I need a new machine for grad school and as much as I'd love, love, love an MBA, I don't think it's the right solution for me.

What I really need is a 12" MacBook Pro... grrrr

glitch44
Jul 6, 2008, 10:13 AM
I stated reasonable in the topic title as we'd all like Core 2 Extremes, 1TB SSDs, and 8GB of RAM!

Beyond the obvious storage and CPU bumps, I'd like to see a power brick that functions as an Ethernet port and transmits via WiFi to the MBA. The Voodoo Envy 133 does this and I think it's flippin' genius! If Apple could one-up Voodoo by adding a modem and a couple USB ports to the brick that would be fantastic.

oh, man.... you're asking for trouble with this thread. as a whole, i don't think MBA fans in this forum quite know the definition of reasonable-- "I WANT 4 USB PORTS AND FIREWIRE AND A NEW CPU AND 12 HOUR BATTERY LIFE AND I WANT IT THINNER AND $1000 CHEAPER!"-- that's the general sense I get from some people.

Realistic refresh: new 45nm CPU with lower TDP, larger hard drive options

Reasonable MBA 2.0: one more USB port, ethernet port would be nice, and a place for a security cable

phalewhale
Jul 6, 2008, 10:37 AM
There isn't even eSATA on the Mac Pros. I don't think so for a consumer notebook.

Okay, there's a wireless USB spec. What if Apple added that? To compliment it, they'll come up with a Wireless FireWire spec.

I know. I have a MBP. It doesn't stop me from wanting to see one on the Air though does it? :)

The MBPs still have the latch instead of a totally magnetic closure...

bandaros
Jul 6, 2008, 10:39 AM
Just one thing for me - longer battery life.

nintendude
Jul 6, 2008, 10:45 AM
would that docking patent count as "reasonable" cause that would open a whole boatload of possibilities

accrane
Jul 6, 2008, 03:28 PM

seriously? I never considered the MBA even the slightest bit heavy even for its size. It has to weigh something....

ayeying
Jul 6, 2008, 03:31 PM
Better heat management.

wordmunger
Jul 6, 2008, 03:39 PM
Before you ask for the powerbrick/hub, think about what you'd be sacrificing. The HP's brick is enormous compared to the MBA's brick. I'd much prefer to have the small brick and an ethernet port. If you really want a hub, you can always bring an airport express with you -- the airport express plus the MBA brick is probably about the same size as the HP brick.

Mactagonist
Jul 6, 2008, 03:51 PM
I think some people missed the 'reasonable' part of the title.

Apple will not be making the screen smaller. They decided on 13.3" to keep it usable for the majority of buyers.

Apple will not be adding esata, firewire (a dead standard unfortunately), ethernet or anything like that. The design concept behind the MBA is 'wireless'. Note the 'Air' in the name.

Apple will not be making the battery removable. Get over it.

Apple will not be changing the tapered design of the MBA's case. It is an intentional way of making the MBA look even more thin then it is.

We might see an additional USB port as a nod to those users who really need it, but I doubt it. As Intel finalizes the wireless USB standard I think that will be the way the MBA heads.

We may see an option for a larger amount of preinstalled RAM. I think it is an even money bet that they will keep it at 2gb though. 2gb is more then enough for most consumers.

We may see an integrated HSPA modem and SIM card slot. I think that the lack of a WWAN option was a glaring fault in the original MBA. Now that Apple has partnerships with carriers in over 70 countries for the launch of the 3g iPhone I think it is a perfect time for Apple's ultraportable to get some 3g love.

Apple will definitely be using Intel's newer 45nm processors. They will be cooler and faster then the current ones while using less power and allowing a longer battery life. They will definitely move to a SATA HDD and SSD due to the simple fact that there arnt many new PATA drives being made. This will allow larger and faster drive options.

My personal belief is that we will see the newer 45nm Intel processors, larger faster drive options and integrated HSPA. That is it. Anything else is wishful thinking.

If your needs include a plethora of ports, lots of speed and storage or removable batteries then you should not be considering the Air. Apple has very clearly segmented their laptop offerings, there is never going to be a Macbook Air Pro.

Sesshi
Jul 6, 2008, 03:52 PM
I would like it to work like a Sony, Dell Latitude or Lenovo. No 'out of the box' issues. Mind you, I'd like that of everything I buy from Apple.

A bit lighter, one more USB port, built-in LAN, better Bluetooth implementation, better WLAN implementation, built-in HSDPA, significantly longer real (I believe the people out there reporting 6 hours are on whatever Apple put in the water in their HQ, and 6 real "wireless productivity hours" would suit me well) battery life would all be nice features. Not too worried about the rest.

Mind you, given Apple's track record to date even those may be far, far too much to ask.

mkrishnan
Jul 6, 2008, 04:10 PM
seriously? I never considered the MBA even the slightest bit heavy even for its size. It has to weigh something....

Ya rly... I don't expect it to weigh as little as my current notebook does, but a 10% weight savings isn't unreasonable -- that would bring it at least into the high two pounds range. IIRC, both the Macbook and MBP (or perhaps PBG4) lines had mid-cycle weight savings on the order of 5%, and in both designs there is clearly no great premium placed on notebook weight. Apple has successfully removed weight in successive generations of their handheld products as well. So it doesn't seem like an unreasonable request to me.

rangerdanger
Jul 6, 2008, 04:21 PM
I would really like at least one more USB port. The powerbrick ethernet and more USB ports is also a nice addition. Those are the two major things for me, everything else I can live with.

SodiumBenzoate
Jul 6, 2008, 06:30 PM
-Another USB - it shouldn't be too hard to make that little door just slightly longer.
-WWAN.
-New processor (but that's a given)
-Better cooling.
-HDD upgrade...

accrane
Jul 6, 2008, 08:22 PM
I think some people missed the 'reasonable' part of the title.

Apple will not be making the screen smaller. They decided on 13.3" to keep it usable for the majority of buyers.

Apple will not be adding esata, firewire (a dead standard unfortunately), ethernet or anything like that. The design concept behind the MBA is 'wireless'. Note the 'Air' in the name.

Apple will not be making the battery removable. Get over it.

Apple will not be changing the tapered design of the MBA's case. It is an intentional way of making the MBA look even more thin then it is.

We might see an additional USB port as a nod to those users who really need it, but I doubt it. As Intel finalizes the wireless USB standard I think that will be the way the MBA heads.

We may see an option for a larger amount of preinstalled RAM. I think it is an even money bet that they will keep it at 2gb though. 2gb is more then enough for most consumers.

We may see an integrated HSPA modem and SIM card slot. I think that the lack of a WWAN option was a glaring fault in the original MBA. Now that Apple has partnerships with carriers in over 70 countries for the launch of the 3g iPhone I think it is a perfect time for Apple's ultraportable to get some 3g love.

Apple will definitely be using Intel's newer 45nm processors. They will be cooler and faster then the current ones while using less power and allowing a longer battery life. They will definitely move to a SATA HDD and SSD due to the simple fact that there arnt many new PATA drives being made. This will allow larger and faster drive options.

My personal belief is that we will see the newer 45nm Intel processors, larger faster drive options and integrated HSPA. That is it. Anything else is wishful thinking.

If your needs include a plethora of ports, lots of speed and storage or removable batteries then you should not be considering the Air. Apple has very clearly segmented their laptop offerings, there is never going to be a Macbook Air Pro.

Excellent post. I completely agree. Apple isnt going to make any significant changes. just like the new iphone 3g, it doesn't have many new changes but still many people will sell their old iphones to buy the new latest and greatest.

queshy
Jul 6, 2008, 10:02 PM
SSD standard, same price. Better battery life.

Wotan31
Jul 6, 2008, 10:40 PM
Specs are fine, I just want them to increase the price. Maybe something around $4000? With the recent price cut on the SSD model, it's just not exclusive enough any more. :(

Sound Evolution
Jul 6, 2008, 11:23 PM
Dear,

I don't get why people throw a whole list of wishes here while there is one thing that really have to get solved first. Get rid of the core shutdown since it is really the most irritating thing I ever experienced!

With kind regards,
Bas

Apple Ink
Jul 6, 2008, 11:46 PM
I really dont think Apple's gonna include anymore ports than it already has!
SJ already made it clear that MBA is a WIRELESS machine.
More ports (especially the fat ones like ethernet and firewire 800) = fatter MBA
Apple once decides its gonna kill something (Floppy, Serial, LPT1, User Non-replaceable batteries, etc.), it makes sure it does even if the whole worlds against it

dudup
Jul 7, 2008, 12:02 AM
In my wildest dreams, since I got my MBA:

- A SIM slot for 3G (both data and voice)

- An very small external display (a la MS Sideshow), with touch support, where you could run iPhonesque apps (dial numbers, check sms and email, etc)

- A new standby mode where the small external display, the SIM slot and a bluetooth headset would still operate with the lid closed.

Give me that and I sell my iPhone on the next day! :D

ducatidoc
Jul 7, 2008, 12:04 AM
very reasonable fixes:

sATA SSD HD at 128 GB

fixed 4 GB option for RAM

resolved issues with core shutdowns

firewire port

MBA dock station as an accessory

Cloudsurfer
Jul 7, 2008, 12:36 AM
Giving the Air an ethernet port would defeat the purpose of the 'Air' naming.

Tosser
Jul 7, 2008, 05:48 AM

The only purpose of the naming is marketing and differentiating from the MB and the MB Pro. There IS no other "purpose" to the name.

In your opinion, a car named Falcon should only have two wheels in order to not defeat the "purpose" of the name, right?

dudup
Jul 7, 2008, 08:14 AM
The only purpose of the naming is marketing and differentiating from the MB and the MB Pro. There IS no other "purpose" to the name.

Well, since naming is a branding matter, what is your point? That something called "Air" should start to have ports for cables? :confused:

Sesshi
Jul 7, 2008, 08:14 AM

Would giving it a properly working (in comparison to my other Windows subnotebooks) WLAN / BT detract from that too?

Tallest Skil
Jul 7, 2008, 08:19 AM
In your opinion, a car named Falcon should only have two wheels in order to not defeat the "purpose" of the name, right?

A car named Falcon should be able to fly and have talons instead of wheels. :p

So a car named Mountaineer should have a full beard and mustache and spikes on the wheel treads. It should also be plaid in the front half and a tasteful complimentary color in the back half.

Mactagonist
Jul 7, 2008, 08:20 AM
Would giving it a properly working (in comparison to my other Windows subnotebooks) WLAN / BT detract from that too?

Generally when someone dislikes a product, they dont use it. I cant think of a single post you have made that doesnt find some way to mention how superior windows laptops are. So my question to you is, why are you here? If Apple products are so horrible, why do you use them?

vendettabass
Jul 7, 2008, 08:24 AM

All it really needs, 45nm = better cooling
4GB RAM
64GB SSD Stock

Tosser
Jul 7, 2008, 08:51 AM
Well, since naming is a branding matter, what is your point? That something called "Air" should start to have ports for cables? :confused:

No, I was stating that since the name "Air" is for branding and marketing purposes, one cannot (at least as a valid logical argument) claim that an ethernet port "would defeat the purpose of the 'Air' naming", as the Air is ONLY branding, not a "feature", "description" or anything else. THUS, giving the Air, say, an ethernet port, would NOT in any way "defeat" the branding "purpose" of the MBA.

A car named Falcon should be able to fly and have talons instead of wheels. :p

So a car named Mountaineer should have a full beard and mustache and spikes on the wheel treads. It should also be plaid in the front half and a tasteful complimentary color in the back half.

Haha, true. At least if we were to use the argumentation used by Cloudsurfer.

Mactagonist
Jul 7, 2008, 09:36 AM
No, I was stating that since the name "Air" is for branding and marketing purposes, one cannot (at least as a valid logical argument) claim that an ethernet port "would defeat the purpose of the 'Air' naming", as the Air is ONLY branding, not a "feature", "description" or anything else. THUS, giving the Air, say, an ethernet port, would NOT in any way "defeat" the branding "purpose" of the MBA.

Air is the name of the product. It also brings to mind the concept behind the product. The concept of the Macbook Air is a minimalist, wireless laptop that is effortless to carry with you while also offering the same level of productivity as a full size machine due to its large keyboard and screen.

How does ethernet or FW or e-sata or whatever port you want added fit that concept? If you need wired ports, buy a macbook or macbook pro. Or if you are Sesshi, buy a windows laptop. The Air will never have more ports then it does now. In fact, if they could have gotten away with it I am sure Apple would have liked to make a Macbook Air with no ports. Once wireless USB is established I am sure they will.

Sesshi
Jul 7, 2008, 10:57 AM
Generally when someone dislikes a product, they dont use it. I cant think of a single post you have made that doesnt find some way to mention how superior windows laptops are. So my question to you is, why are you here? If Apple products are so horrible, why do you use them?

I've explained this in so many posts that I'm beginning to hope whichever Apple-addled party taking umbrage at one of my posts would stumble on those as well.

There's this thing called OSX. I own software which runs on this thing called OSX. And unlike most consumers who don't believe in paying for software, I actually pay for stuff and have bespoke development projects in place, which means that my investment in software rivals/exceeds investment in hardware.

And there's this range of very pretty yet badly engineered and defect-laden machines (especially those bearing the laughable 'Pro' moniker) manufactured by the same company which OSX exclusively runs on.

Well - that's not entirely true as you and I know. It runs on other machines but it becomes a toss-up between somewhat unreliable and considerably hassle-laden software operation on a reliable hardware platform, or somewhat less unreliable, no-hassle software operation on an unreliable hardware platform. In the light of this situation, I find myself choosing hardware which is supported under OSX - the lesser of two evils if you will.

Tosser
Jul 7, 2008, 11:18 AM
Air is the name of the product. It also brings to mind the concept behind the product. The concept of the Macbook Air is a minimalist, wireless laptop that is effortless to carry with you while also offering the same level of productivity as a full size machine due to its large keyboard and screen.
Yes, but that does in no way mean that adding an ethernet port would "defeat the purpose" of the name. It's pure bollocks.

If you don't like my other examples, let's simply take your argument the other way, and there would be no use for USB, headphone jack, nor a power plug.

How does ethernet or FW or e-sata or whatever port you want added fit that concept?
Get with the programme. I was talking about adding an ethernet port didn't mean that the whole "purpose of the name was "defeated"". You see, it's a question of using valid arguments.

If you need wired ports, buy a macbook or macbook pro.
See above. By using that argument, the MBA shouldn't have any ports at all.

Or if you are Sesshi, buy a windows laptop.
Ah, you see, I already have my heart set on a thinkpad. But that has mostly to do with what crap Apple hardware has become.

The Air will never have more ports then it does now.
Says who? You? And you want people to take your word for it? Please, don't make me laugh…

In fact, if they could have gotten away with it I am sure Apple would have liked to make a Macbook Air with no ports. Once wireless USB is established I am sure they will.
Ah, yes, if enough people buy blindly, I'm sure they will. However, we're talking MBA 2 here, and when (if?) that comes, WUSB won't be ready for prime time.
Besides, even as much as I like WUSB, you have a problem the moment you need to charge. The thing is, as great as WUSB is for transfers (I'd like W-FW), it kind of sucks when you need to charge something. So how do you figure the iPhone-cum-MBA buyers will do that? Bring a charger for each device, because Apple in their infinite wisdom thought it wiser to bring a charger for each device, all in an effort to save 6 grams on the plug, 17 grams on the cable? Yes, that sure sounds like a good idea
Further, how do you figure you'll be transferring those photos you just took? By buying a third party WUSB adaptor, or only going with cameras that have WUSB inbuilt?

:rolleyes:

Mactagonist
Jul 7, 2008, 11:34 AM
I can understand the dilemma you face having invested in software for your Macs. That is unfortunate. But, at the end of the day perhaps you could consider the extra cost you faced in migrating to windows after selling your Apple hardware and software to be a necessary investment in your own day to day happiness.

I've explained this in so many posts that I'm beginning to hope whichever Apple-addled party taking umbrage at one of my posts would stumble on those as well.

There's this thing called OSX. I own software which runs on this thing called OSX. And unlike most consumers who don't believe in paying for software, I actually pay for stuff and have bespoke development projects in place, which means that my investment in software rivals/exceeds investment in hardware.

And there's this range of very pretty yet badly engineered and defect-laden machines (especially those bearing the laughable 'Pro' moniker) manufactured by the same company which OSX exclusively runs on.

Well - that's not entirely true as you and I know. It runs on other machines but it becomes a toss-up between somewhat unreliable and considerably hassle-laden software operation on a reliable hardware platform, or somewhat less unreliable, no-hassle software operation on an unreliable hardware platform. In the light of this situation, I find myself choosing hardware which is supported under OSX - the lesser of two evils if you will.

Mactagonist
Jul 7, 2008, 11:37 AM
Yes, but that does in no way mean that adding an ethernet port would "defeat the purpose" of the name. It's pure bollocks.

If you don't like my other examples, let's simply take your argument the other way, and there would be no use for USB, headphone jack, nor a power plug.

:rolleyes:

I really cant explain it to you any more simply. If you choose to attack me and what I said instead of simply accepting that ethernet is not coming to the Macbook Air I suppose that is your choice.

Tosser
Jul 7, 2008, 11:43 AM
I really cant explain it to you any more simply. If you choose to attack me and what I said instead of simply accepting that ethernet is not coming to the Macbook Air I suppose that is your choice.

You might think you "explained" something, but in reality you didn't. You made some claims based on faulty logic, and used conjecture for the rest. But whatever floats your boat :rolleyes:
Edit: I don't get why you choose to construe my comment as "an attack". Seriously.

dannn
Jul 7, 2008, 02:13 PM
standard ssd @ the same price points (64 and 128 gb)

and better battery life

skyton
Jul 7, 2008, 02:16 PM
i think the features and spec are good for a sub notebook
id just like it to be a bit cheaper!

sir42
Jul 7, 2008, 04:27 PM
I'm 90% convinced that the Air will be next mac purchase in a year or two. A couple of new things would make it a no-brainer purchase for me:

1. integrated 3G data chip
2. better security - if I'm going to be carrying it around with more more than my MBP, I'd like to have a little more piece of mind that my data will be protected should the Air be stolen. To that end, I'd love to see fingerprint recognition to unlock the computer and GPS to track it down should it be stolen.

If all of my data is going to be in the cloud in a few years, hard drive size isn't a big issue for me, but I would love to see instant on.

Grizzly Adams
Jul 7, 2008, 07:54 PM
realistically I couldn't ask for much more. The only things that I would want are:

Faster processor
Larger HD
Some sort of security features

Roller
Jul 7, 2008, 08:41 PM

Can't understand why people take umbrage at your posts? Could it be because you manage to pepper them with insulting phrases ("Apple-addled party," "most consumers who don't believe in paying for software," and "another sheep abandoning a ship that's recently just as good as the one they're jumping to because other people (who themselves don't know what they're talking about) says so") to give just three examples.

Not that you're likely to take this advice, but perhaps if you just answered the question or simply presented your opinions without being condescending, people wouldn't be so put off.

To get back to the original question, though: I think that we have to differentiate between version 1.5, which will probably sport internal improvements such as a cooler CPU or a larger SSD, and version 2.0, which might incorporate changes that require more of a redesign. I'm hoping that we at least see MBA 1.5 before MW Expo 2009.

Sesshi
Jul 8, 2008, 03:18 AM
Oh I do understand why people take umbrage. I just wish they'd think before put their Apple-addled brains in attack mode. Sweet delusions or less popular truths - not a tough choice for me, I have to say. There is always the Ignore button.

samscam
Jul 8, 2008, 05:49 AM
As a prediction I'll go with minimal changes. Larger HD, faster processor.

As a wouldn't-it-be-nice I would hazard that they might just possibly introduce USB-3. It could assuage all your firewire worries.

buccsmf1
Jul 8, 2008, 08:48 AM
There is absolutely no way that they add an ethernet port.... IT'S CALLED THE AIR...... MAYBE they add a firewire or extra USB port but i doubt it.

Tosser
Jul 8, 2008, 12:21 PM
There is absolutely no way that they add an ethernet port.... IT'S CALLED THE AIR.....

You cannot base you opinion on a brand name. It's like saying that Tivoli Audio should only make speakers for merry-go-rounds or that since the Macbook "Pro" is named that way, it will _always_ have pro ports. Guess what, they tried nixing FW800, but fortunately, people were in uproar about it, so they put it back in, no thanks to the fanboys.

Skeletal-dæmon
Jul 8, 2008, 01:09 PM
Oooh, how about a "slice" that mates to the bottom of the MBA and adds a 2.5" HDD, Superdrive, and ports!? If it could add additional processing power too that'd be very cool. Put the whole thing in a package that 's as thin as an MBP and they'd sell like mad.

No no no no NO!!! ITS A DUO-DOCK ALL OVER AGAIN! RUNAWAY!

Heh heh now that I've stopped laughing and have got slightly unnerved that I remember the Duo-Dock considering I was like four at the time, I've been having a ponder about the MBA and I can only find one quibble (thats the third time I've said quibble today, I'm turning old!) with it - the battery can't be replaced.

I mean I'm never going to buy the MBA, but I know from past experience that not being able to switch batteries in the middle of a journey somewhere is a bloody pain in the arse! C'mon, its a MacBook AIR. Free it from its power-cord tether!

Dæmon

Tosser
Jul 8, 2008, 01:34 PM
I mean I'm never going to buy the MBA, but I know from past experience that not being able to switch batteries in the middle of a journey somewhere is a bloody pain in the arse! C'mon, its a MacBook AIR. Free it from its power-cord tether!

Yes, a non-swappable battery on a computer which takes hours and hours to charge, because Apple in their infinate wisdom thought it wise to supply a 45W charger. Of course, it's most likely because of heat issues, but when it takes up to six hours to charge a Li-ion, something is just plain wrong.

awvan
Jul 8, 2008, 02:28 PM
Realistically I'd really like to see it run cooler and have longer battery life, hopefully the new processors do that. They will probably be a bit faster too, though I don't have any problem with the speed right now.

Slightly bigger HHD, and cheaper and/or bigger SSD option would be nice too. It will never get an ethernet port, I'm sure Steve sees ethernet going the same way he sees optical drives going, just as usual, he is a couple years early.

BWhaler
Jul 8, 2008, 06:23 PM
Strong Needs:

1. The new 5x faster Intel GPU
2. Fix the heat/core shut down issue
3. Minimum of 128 gigs of SSD space

Strong Wants:
1. 4 gigs of memory
2. External battery (It would be killer if it were designed as a modified plug/battery white brick.)
3. Faster CPU
4. Longer battery life (Yes, I see the irony given the rest of the list)
5. Better resolution

Mild Wants:
1. Another USB port
2. Swappable battery

jnc
Jul 8, 2008, 07:31 PM
...Aside from the usual "faster, cooler, better" internal tweaks...

64GB SSD/160GB $1799
128GB SSD $2598

4GB RAM option
2xUSB - being unable to use other USB peripherals with Superdrive connected is way too limiting
Better speakers
Swappable battery
Smaller dimensions (less space around keyboard and smaller screen bezel should shave a few mm)

http://i34.tinypic.com/2z9b1b4.jpg ...voilà!

Ethernet, FW and/or ExpressCard would be nice too.... wouldn't hold my breath though.

Tosser
Jul 8, 2008, 10:34 PM
The funny thing is, had Apple not all but abandoned firewire, it would be the perfect plug for the MBA. First of all it has more power, but it does something USB can't: You can chain devices without any problems. That alone would make the lack of ports a bit more bareable.

ic1
Aug 1, 2008, 01:10 PM
I'd like to second or third glitch44 back at post 14. I visited the Westside Manhattan store in March which was my first chance to put my paws on a Mac Book Air. I'd read up on all the pluses and minuses (here and on other forums) and the package was what I have needed for a long time and I was ready to buy. However there was no security cable slot.

The great majority of this thread is rightly focused on technological improvements Apple could well include in V.2, making an already attractive product that much more usable. However, the absence of a basic, low-tech item squelched me.

Please add a security slot. I'd like to keep what I have.

muldul
Aug 1, 2008, 02:08 PM
A replaceable battery would sell me

CJRhoades
Aug 1, 2008, 02:17 PM
I'd like to see either options for additional RAM or make the RAM user replaceable.

dwsolberg
Aug 1, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'm going to buy a MBA. I'm waiting for three things:
1. 4 GB of RAM -- I need to run VMWARE among other RAM-hungry apps.
2. Acceptable power/heat -- Basically, the current speeds are fine so long as the computer doesn't start to fry and slow down under load.
3. 128 FAST SSD to come down in price so it's "only" $1000 more.

The only other thing I really want is a matte screen, but I'll buy whenever prices and technology allow Apple to add the above three things.