PDA

View Full Version : New iPods in September?

brendanspah764
Jul 6, 2008, 04:09 PM
I found this article...

http://blogs.computerworld.com/new_ipods_coming_ipod_touch_nano

what do you think about an iPod Touch Nano?
Touch-screen Nano...

Digital Skunk
Jul 6, 2008, 04:13 PM
It would suck.

Royally.

This Seth guy is an idiot and I can't imagine why he is writing about this stuff. Nothing he says makes sense.

NiroNavro
Jul 6, 2008, 04:33 PM
Off Topic:
Does anyone know what we might be seeing this September for the iPod updates?

brendanspah764
Jul 6, 2008, 10:36 PM
I think that the updates will just be updated cpacities in the nanos, and maybe a new shuffle.

SactoGuy18
Jul 6, 2008, 10:46 PM
I think one thing we'll see is a "3.5G" nano that looks like the current model but has a new, smaller internal circuit board to accommodate more flash memory.

In short, we may see 8 GB low end model in silver, 16 GB model in up to ten different case colors and possibly a 32 GB high end model in black and Product Red colors only.

Digital Skunk
Jul 6, 2008, 10:49 PM
I think one thing we'll see is a "3.5G" nano that looks like the current model but has a new, smaller internal circuit board to accommodate more flash memory.

In short, we may see 8 GB low end model in silver, 16 GB model in up to ten different case colors and possibly a 32 GB high end model in black and Product Red colors only.

There may not be a 32GB model since there is no 32GB chip small enough or cheap enough to fit into the Nano.

The 32GB iPod Touch uses two 16GB chips.

TwinCities Dan
Jul 6, 2008, 10:53 PM
There may not be a 32GB model since there is no 32GB chip small enough or cheap enough to fit into the Nano.

Are you saying the case of the Nano is pretty much topped out at 16? :confused:

brendanspah764
Jul 6, 2008, 10:55 PM

I agree...
A 32GB Nano seems like way too much.
16GB nano seems plausible

iCantwait
Jul 7, 2008, 09:50 AM
3.5g nano 8 and 16, better colours
shuffle 2.75g 1gb and 2gb better colours

gkarris
Jul 7, 2008, 10:28 AM
Off Topic:
Does anyone know what we might be seeing this September for the iPod updates?

In addition to other iPod updates:

8 Gig Touch end-of-life'd (mostly sold out because of the back-to-school rebate).

16 Gig Touch - $299
32 Gig Touch - $399
64 Gig Touch - $499 (?)

iPod Classic, 120 Gig - $249
iPod Classic, 240 Gig - $349

Digital Skunk
Jul 7, 2008, 10:40 AM
In addition to other iPod updates:

8 Gig Touch end-of-life'd (mostly sold out because of the back-to-school rebate).

16 Gig Touch - $299
32 Gig Touch - $399
64 Gig Touch - $499 (?)

I hope that we do see a price drop in the 32GB Touch, then I'd get one if I didn't already suck it up and buy an iPhone.

iPod Classic, 120 Gig - $249
iPod Classic, 240 Gig - $349

Also very nice. No redesign but bigger storage space. Those may not come until middle or late 09 however, since Hitachi won't be fabbing them until beginning of 09.

gkarris
Jul 7, 2008, 10:45 AM
Also very nice. No redesign but bigger storage space. Those may not come until middle or late 09 however, since Hitachi won't be fabbing them until beginning of 09.

Maybe Apple will push Hitachi to get them out for the holiday shopping in Nov., to combat the Zune update? :eek: LOL...

NiroNavro
Jul 7, 2008, 01:18 PM
So basically just more storage for less money? No redesigns or anything of that matter? Like a redesigned iPod Touch to complement the redesigned iPhone?

Digital Skunk
Jul 7, 2008, 06:46 PM
Are you saying the case of the Nano is pretty much topped out at 16? :confused:

Not yet, it's just topped out at 16GB right now. When companies make 32GB chips in that size then we will see 32GB Nano models, 32GB iPhones, and 64GB iPod Touch models

So basically just more storage for less money? No redesigns or anything of that matter? Like a redesigned iPod Touch to complement the redesigned iPhone?

I would think so. The Touch may get a slight refresh, but since the only thing Apple could do is make the screen on the iPod Touch the same as the iPhone, or just as bright. Maybe they could do some refining but there really isn't anything they could do.

Let's not get crazy and start talking about cameras and such. :rolleyes:

iCantwait
Jul 7, 2008, 09:36 PM
im doubting a 64gb ipt for a while now, the classic should stay 80gb, not many ppl havr that much, and with no time machine option what is the point of 240gb or up for the wider population?

Digital Skunk
Jul 7, 2008, 09:40 PM
im doubting a 64gb ipt for a while now, the classic should stay 80gb, not many ppl havr that much, and with no time machine option what is the point of 240gb or up for the wider population?

HD video content.

And there is a Time Machine option. By that I mean the HD content on your desktop is backed up to a HDD via Time Machine.

I would love to have 240GB and HD content on the iTunes Store.

You are right that there won't be a 120 and 240GB version, since Hitachi only announced a fabrication process for them that will be available in 2009.

The Toon Master
Jul 7, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'll take a 64GB iPod Touch for $499 with all the current bells and whistles thank you very much

cuestakid
Aug 4, 2008, 11:07 PM
I'll take a 64GB iPod Touch for $499 with all the current bells and whistles thank you very much

I want that too-but i also want to date Jessica Biel but neither one is likely-that is unless the iPT goes to regular HDDs and hell freezes over three times

Apple Ink
Aug 4, 2008, 11:13 PM
I found this article...

http://blogs.computerworld.com/new_ipods_coming_ipod_touch_nano

what do you think about an iPod Touch Nano?
Touch-screen Nano...

No.... and you better hope not!
And agreed. Mr. Weintraub is a complete idiot..... 9to5mac should fire him!

Apple Ink
Aug 4, 2008, 11:16 PM

I hope you do remember that Apple sells a 64GB SSD (forget flash) for as much as $300!

The Toon Master
Aug 4, 2008, 11:17 PM
I want that too-but i also want to date Jessica Biel but neither one is likely-that is unless the iPT goes to regular HDDs and hell freezes over three times

They usually double the amount every year, so I expect it..

Most likely scenario

2GB Shuffle - 49.99
4GB Shuffle - 69.99 <-- Probable
8GB Nano - 149.99
16GB Nano - 199.99 <-- Probable
160GB iPod Classic - 249.99
320GB iPod Classic - 349.99 <-- Least Likely out of the bunch
16GB iPod Touch - 299.99
32GB iPod Touch - 399.99
64GB iPod Touch - 499.99 <-- Probable

No redisgns, just more space and more money. Probably they'll wedge another new iPod model that will be out of the blue or something like that (iTouch Nano is unneccessary IMO). Maybe iPod Classic finally gets multi-colored (Shuffle/Nano should expand to 8 colors each). Another scenario is maybe include some free content (I.E., get Disney to put up a couple free pilots to promote upcoming shows and artists and slap on some stuff that has been free for awhile)

Edit: 64SSD is $300? Damn..

Meh, you can dream can't'cha

drwatz0n
Aug 5, 2008, 12:08 AM
As much as I hate to say it, or see it, we will probably get new iPod shuffles (redesigned, maybe a larger capacity), or the line may be dropped all together. There will probably be new nanos, though only a larger capacity. Why would Apple create a whole new Nano design and then drop it a year later? The first and second generation Nano's were similar in size and capacity, so I don't see any major changes for that line. As others have pointed out, the Classics can't really get that much of an upgrade, since Hitachi hasn't started producing the larger hard drives yet.

iPod touch is a bit different. I don't believe Apple will push the iPhone beyond 32GB (which is currently the largest iPod Touch). They don't want to hurt their iPod line. As such, they will release a 64GB iPod touch when they can.

alphaod
Aug 5, 2008, 12:09 AM
Edit: 64SSD is $300? Damn..

Meh, you can dream can't'cha

Well 64GB SSD with MLC is $300. With SLC it's still $500+

The Toon Master
Aug 5, 2008, 12:15 AM
Oh ya, there'll probably be a 32GB iPhone for $399 if there is a 64GB iPod Touch

Now that I think about it, maybe they could turn the Nano that rips off the Zune rumor into a new line that has a Hard Drive or something like that

alphaod
Aug 5, 2008, 12:18 AM
Oh ya, there'll probably be a 32GB iPhone for $399 if there is a 64GB iPod Touch

Now that I think about it, maybe they could turn the Nano that rips off the Zune rumor into a new line that has a Hard Drive or something like that

Hopefully they will have a 250GB Classic to fit all my music.

The Toon Master
Aug 5, 2008, 12:31 AM
My only wish is that they would make the iPod Touch use Hard Drives, so they could shove a 160GB on it and it would fit all my stuff (In particular my nearly 3 Weeks worth of Movies and TV Shows). But we can't always get what we want though..

Apple Ink
Aug 5, 2008, 12:59 AM
Hopefully they will have a 250GB Classic to fit all my music.

That you can be sure of!:D