Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

labratmatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Virginia
Hello,

I have had my 14" 933Mhz G4 iBook for about two weeks now and am not really very satisfied with the display. Things aren't all that sharp, there seems to be some of the "sunrise" affect, and you must be looking at it from straight ahead to get a good view. Overall, it seems like a cheap display. Does anyone else have this opinon?

Given this background info, does the 12" powerbook have a similar display? I might be interested in switching machines. Thanks.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
all I can think of is that even though it has a 14" screen it is still the same max. res as the 12" so that in turn would make things look larger and more blocky than they would on the 12". just a thought..

I don't understand why you can't go higher than 1024x768 on the larger screen. it takes away the whole point of a larger screen..

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Originally posted by blue&whiteman
all I can think of is that even though it has a 14" screen it is still the same max. res as the 12" so that in turn would make things look larger and more blocky than they would on the 12". just a thought..

I don't understand why you can't go higher than 1024x768 on the larger screen. it takes away the whole point of a larger screen..
You can't because there physically aren't enough pixels on the screens they use. Think about it.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
then the only logical intent for the larger screen would be for people who can't see very well. I myself hate low resolutions on larger screens. I always use every screen I have ever had at its max res. and 1024x768 on a 14" lcd is just far too low. since you're paying more they should put a screen capable of 1280x1024. but that would be in a perfect world :)

huntsman

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Australia
I consider my iBook G4's 12" screen to be decent but unspectacular. The only specific issue is that the bottom part of the display is lighter than the top--I think this is the "sunrise" effect you referred to. It's only really noticeable when playing a DVD, where the black bar at the top is a rich black while the bottom one has some brightness to it--it is an annoying effect in that context and is more pronounced than it was with the 17" flatpanel on my old system.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
If the 14" iBook had a higher display resolution, it would cannibalise the PowerBook sales (12" and 15"). The 14" iBook is only supposed to be a machine that is more comparable to most cheap PC laptops (which also have 14" 1024x768 screens) for people who complain that the 12" screen is hard to see with their eyesight.

The reason that the 14" iBook is now more powerful than the 12" iBook is because a more powerful 12" iBook would eat into PB 12" sales, where the ultimate portability is a bigger issue. It's nice to see that Apple didn't just make the 14" iBook G4 800 MHz as well.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
... The reason that the 14" iBook is now more powerful than the 12" iBook is because a more powerful 12" iBook would eat into PB 12" sales, ...

Since these machines are using 7455's, there is a significant heat issue, and the 14" has more airspace for dissipation.

Screen resolution, though, is a different queston. Lower-resolution screens are cheaper, giving the iBook 14" Apple's best price-performance; but graphics professionals will want more pixels, so they get (and pay for) PowerBooks.

This makes the 14" iBook an excellent choice for students, software developers, word processors and other non-graphics people, though.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
to me getting the 14" is like first having a 15" crt that you run at 1024x768 and then upgrading to a 17" and still running it at 1024x768. other than the 14" faster cpu wich isn't faster by much anyway I just don't see the point of the extra expense.

labratmatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Virginia
My big complaint is not with the resolution, although it would be nice to run it higher, my big complain is with the quality issues I mentioned.

I guess I really noticed the low quality screen when my wife just received here Dell notebook, which is in the same price range, and the screen is so much better when it comes to the aforementioned issues.

huntsman

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Australia
Getting off-topic here, but to respond just to this point:
Originally posted by cubist
Since these machines are using 7455's, there is a significant heat issue, and the 14" has more airspace for dissipation.
Although that is a logical assumption based on the old 12" PowerBook's notoriety, and I had the same fears when I read that Apple picked the G4 for the new iBook, in reality the 12" iBook G4 does appear to have a significant heat issue. The fan is barely audible, its battery life did not suffer in comparison to the previous G3-based model (the batter capacity increased only slightly, indicating a minor increase in power consumption), and the chassis does not get excessively warm. Speculating on the reasons, it could be the use of a newer revision of the 7455, the fact that it runs at a relatively low speed, better thermal management, and smarter power management logic.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
our dell laptop at home has a 1400 by 1054 screen (14 inches) which is pretty nice the rest of the laptop sucks would be nice if apple had some display upgrade options like dell does

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Originally posted by thehuncamunca
our dell laptop at home has a 1400 by 1054 screen (14 inches) which is pretty nice the rest of the laptop sucks would be nice if apple had some display upgrade options like dell does

I think you mean 1400x1050. (1054 would be highly irregular) ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.