Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
article on Panther on BBC's Technology page.

rinky dink link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3254554.stm

or full spiel below...

Apple, fed up with playing second string to Windows, has been taking its operating system from strength to strength.

The Panther interface gets back to basics

The result is a new front end and some very solid Unix technology under the bonnet. Mac OS 10.3 or Panther is more stable, more capable and more adaptable that any Macintosh operating system before it.

In March 2001 Apple's OS went from Version nine to 10, considered the company's most important upgrade.

OS9 was proprietary and developed independently by Apple based on a graphical user interface that Xerox had devised and dismissed in the 1970s.

Ironically OSX was designed to be a cutting-edge platform for a new century, but Apple programmers went backwards before going forwards, using Unix as a starting point.

"OSX is based now on pure solid Unix," said Leonard Shostak, of L&D Computer Consulting, "a really old, tried and tested operating system that is accepted by most major corporations, especially financial institutions."

Tinkering away

The initial release of OSX was considered incomplete, but in under three years the progress leading to Panther has been dramatic.

Experts say Apple's way of working ensures a better end result than their competitors.

"Apple has always depended on the cleverness of its users to add new software, new features which they have done with relish," said computer scientist George Otto.

Apple is hoping to tempt more people to use Macs.

"Sometimes there is a problem. There are so many things that they do, that they step on each others' toes but that has continued even with OSX.

"Microsoft has always made it very difficult for people to get in and do things. They hide the operating system's features, it is difficult to know how things work and they don't encourage people getting in and making a lot of modifications."

That is not to say Apple does not make slip-ups along the way. Panther, for example, makes some subtle changes to the once sugary Aqua interface.

Indeed Apple CEO Steve Jobs called an earlier version "lickable", a word not normally embraced by techies.

"The Panther interface gets back down to the basic look that we associate with the Mac OS and I think it was Apple being responsive," said Matthew Rothenberg, Managing Editor of eweek.com.

"Aqua was very pretty, but I think the comfort level was a little bit off for some of these long time Mac users."

But Apple is not shy about using good ideas from other sources.

Panther's dock for example resembles the Microsoft Windows Taskbar, but Apple's version is more stylish and fun.

Of course both OSs inspire each other. Windows 95 used the Macintosh folders idea and Windows XP became very aqua soon after the release of OSX.

The Unix bedrock has also attracted more and more software developers to the Mac platform, like Scott Lopatin who wrote a new blogging tool called Sparkpod.

"Mac OSX is attractive to developers because they can access not only the core programming languages but also the large selection of Unix libraries that are available," he said.

Sparkpod was written entirely with Apple web tools, but the majority of its users will undoubtedly access it from a Windows Machine.

Apple needs to increase its small market share and is trying to get Windows users to switch to Panther.

In the last year or so, Steve Jobs has dropped some bait that Windows fans have gobbled up.

A clear symbol of the crossover that Apple has used to its advantage with incredible success is the iPod, an MP3 player that works seamlessly with iTunes software, now available on both platforms.

The hope is that as more and more Windows users see how easy iTunes is to use, they may take a long hard look at Panther and decide to drop Windows completely.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
But Apple is not shy about using good ideas from other sources. Panther's dock for example resembles the Microsoft Windows Taskbar, but Apple's version is more stylish and fun.
Every company builds on current technology, so Apple is not alone in "using good ideas from other sources", but saying it like this makes it sound like Apple is less innovative than other companies, and we know the opposite is true.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I think the BBC is very neutral about Windows vs Macs. These articles however, tend to be written for people who don't really know anything about computers. However, Apple is generally portrayed in a good or fair light. This is good because in Britain, Apple does not have a very big market or very good brand awareness (due to lack of advertising and much smaller Mac-orientated education market compared with the US).

On a BBC News article (on TV) about spam and new spam filters, the screenshots clearly showed Apple's Mail.app being used, although no reference was made to Apple or Macs. I guess the message was subliminal: get a Mac and you won't have any spam!

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
This is good because in Britain, Apple does not have a very big market or very good brand awareness

Thank God there are articles like this that increase it!

Last time I was in London, though, I was delighted to see the entire front window of an electronics store on Tottenham Court Road devoted to Apple products (It was in between the Sainsbury's and the EasyInternet Cafe). Safe to say, I strutted down the street quite confidently after that. :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
Thank God there are articles like this that increase it!

Last time I was in London, though, I was delighted to see the entire front window of an electronics store on Tottenham Court Road devoted to Apple products (It was in between the Sainsbury's and the EasyInternet Cafe). Safe to say, I strutted down the street quite confidently after that. :p

That'll be Micro Anvika then... ;) there's 2 more, with exactly the same display about 400 metres up on the same side, and about 80 metres diagonally across the other side of the road, ooooh and about 200 metres away on New Oxford St, we also have a stealth AppleCentre.

About 100 yards from there is Soho, one of the most densely Mac populated area's on earth.... ;) :D

We still need a 'proper' AppleStore, with one of those big glowing Apple logos, oooh and an Apple shaped window if we can be greedy! :D

To be fair to the BBC, they're pretty neutral, but the problem I find is that when major viruses are reported on the News (even TV) they describe what to look out for and how they work, but then don't mention that this affects only PC's and not Macs, and that there're aren't infact any viruses on Apples current OS. :rolleyes: , if you knew nothing about Macs, you'd presume they're just as susceptible to these attacks as PC's. :rolleyes:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
We are very fortunate to have such a sophisticated and stable OS. Now if Apple can just entice more to transfer to OS X. Does anyone know if Steve is on target for the transfer?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
What's strange is why the article is top of the technology news headlines today. What's so special about today?

Nice bit of advertising for Apple though - this can only do good for the world of Macintosh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.