Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
houston
ok, recently ive been having a weird a$$ problem with my TiBook. Usually only happens when its unplugged (but has happened once when plugged in) whick may just be coincidence.

sometimes when i pick my TiBook up to move it the screen goes black. Now its not the case of it going to sleep or anything because it WONT turn back on when it does this. It just goes black. At first i thought this was maye the battery being loose and my computer turning off. Though i soon realized (from trying to turn it back on) that it is actually still on!!

running, like normal (near as i can tell) just the screen wont show anything. I can hear the fans etc still working and i have to hold the power button down to reboot it!

ok, so people who know hardware better than me...WTF is up? its veryyy odd. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix would be appreciated!

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
hey i think thats kinda the same problem thats been happening to my ibook today...my god its awful, it does it all the time for me, it just freaks out and goes blank and then half the time it won't restart

how often does this happen to you?

i've tried reseting the power managment unit, i've tried zapping pram, i've tried every other trick int he book...now i'm trying to drain the battery, which is hard when the damn computer dies every 10 mins

argh!! this is a nightmare...it jsut haappened so randomly too! i've had this ibook for more than a year with not many problems..and i run the poor thing hard

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
houston
well i baby my computer...though it is a true laptop and is forced to be very protable.

that said...it doesnt happen to me randomly really...jsut when i pic it up to move it...like im knocking something out of place...though i just force it off and then it comes back on fine so i dont think thats it....

yours sounds like a real short or something in the screen perhaps...but mine only does it when i physically pick it up...never done it when its just sittin here

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
just realized mine does it when its moved too...very touchy too...

never put it together...we must be having the same problem. does your os freeze too? or just the screen go bad?

let me know if you find a solution! as will i if i can find one

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
houston
well im not sure if the OS freezes or not cant tell without the screen ;-)

im hoping SOMEONE else on here will reply who might have an idea.

come on people, say somethin :p

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
houston
intersting...maybe i will try running soem hardware tests...though i dont see how the logic board being "bad" would only cause problems when i move it. HMMM, id think if it was a "loose hardware" type of thing it would be the video card or something...again, i dont know hopefully someone else on here will

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by howard
could be a fried logic board...not good unless you have apple care or under warranty still..which mine is not

ugh

the #1 rule when you buy a laptop from ANY company is get extended warranty. always always always. you can see now why its so important. so now rather than pay the 150 or so for extended applecare when you bought it you will have to shell out hundreds (at least $600 or 700).

let this be a lesson to all laptop owners. ALWAYS GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
houston
ok, i ran several hardware tests...everything checks out...ill try looking at the screen connectors too just to make sure i dont have a loose wire or connector..thanx idkew now i know where to look for the connectors :p

blue&whiteman, not sure how that will help my screen problem go away :confused:

as for myself, i have no apple care but through USAA i have a GREAT policy where if it cant be repaired for under 400$ i get it replaced for my 300$ deductable...replaced as in for this TiBook (back when they were pricier) my 3200$. But for now i like my computer, its MOSTLY works fine and i dont want the delay and pain in replacing it :) (also wouldnt want to be sending it off to apple for god only knows how long if i did have apple care)

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by blue&whiteman
the #1 rule when you buy a laptop from ANY company is get extended warranty. always always always. you can see now why its so important. so now rather than pay the 150 or so for extended applecare when you bought it you will have to shell out hundreds (at least $600 or 700).

let this be a lesson to all laptop owners. ALWAYS GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!

each to their own. i have had two apple laptops, and never had a problem within 3 years. i SAVED $600.

besides, if you buyt with a credit card, you get a doubled warranty, which takes you to two years at no extra charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.