PDA

View Full Version : Squix Enix Releases IPOD Game: Song Summoner $4.99 out NOW!!

Dorfdad
Jul 7, 2008, 07:14 PM
Well, this was unexpected: Square Enix has announced that they are leaping into the world of iPod game development with a musically-inspired role-playing game called Song Summoner.

Yes, iPod, not iPhone. From the looks of things, the game acts like the old Barcode Battler -- using the data from the songs stored in your iTunes library to create an infinite variety of different soldiers to fight in your army. It's got a turn-based, tactics-style battle system that uses the iPod's click wheel for what the press release promises is gameplay as easy as selecting music from a track list. We'll see!

http://blog.wired.com/games/images/2008/07/07/ss_banner.jpg

The only thing I can say is WOW and WHY THE HELL IS THIS NOT AN IPHONE GAME with the Store releasing this week an IPOD game is ok but I mean were in IPHONE MODE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

mariotheotaku
Jul 7, 2008, 07:42 PM
yes, I just hope they keep making games for the ipod classic

mosx
Jul 8, 2008, 06:23 AM
http://blog.wired.com/games/images/2008/07/07/ss_banner.jpg

The only thing I can say is WOW and WHY THE HELL IS THIS NOT AN IPHONE GAME with the Store releasing this week an IPOD game is ok but I mean were in IPHONE MODE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, iPods that can play games have been around for what now? Almost 3 years? The 5G iPod was updated to play games and it was released in 2005 originally.

Combine that with the popularity of the iPod nano and you have tens of millions of people who already have iPods. Guaranteed revenue ;)

iPhones are nothing compared to the amount of potential iPod customers.

Sky Blue
Jul 8, 2008, 08:12 AM
bad timing for me. I'm not going to pay $5 for a game for 4 days. Maybe we'll see an iPhone sequel...

mosx
Jul 8, 2008, 06:11 PM
bad timing for me. I'm not going to pay $5 for a game for 4 days. Maybe we'll see an iPhone sequel...

$5 for a game for 4 days?

Are all of our 5.5G iPods, iPod classics and iPod nanos scheduled to stop working as soon as iPhone/iPod touch 2.0 hits?

logicalnoise
Jul 10, 2008, 10:01 AM
bought it tuesday and have played for about 2 hours total since then. A very very cool game and pretty fleshed out. Full soundtrack great art and and pretty indepth gameplay. So yeah you play as ziggy a young man who was travelling with his brother zero when they get ambushed and his brother is stolen by soldiers fo a robotic army. The soldiers almost destroy ziggy in the process but he is saved by a stranger. The stranger reveals himself to be a "conductor" a warrior who can turn music into weapons. yeah anyways teh story is pretty cheesy but it follows a lot of the motions japanese RPGs go through. the dialogue borders on lame to decent but the art is pretty good.

After teh first battle your presented with the hipodrome menu. Here you can access your entire ipod music collection and create warriors. The stranger explains how everythingw orks and gives tips on knowing if a created warrior is good enough for your roster. You have 16 slots for warriors and 75 more for reserves which can't be accessed during battles. Every warrior has plenty of unique stats and can be upgraded. SO there's three classes Bronze, Silver, gold and platinum. each class has a certian amount of deployment points(bronze has teh most and platinum has the least). Deployment points get used when you use your warrior in a battle and you lose an additional point if their defeated. Each warrior also has a rating of F to A which describes their general standing in their class. You can send your warriors through training to improve them as well. training is basically just simulated battles that don't drain any deployment points.

SO yeah gameplay is very much akin to Final fantasy Tatics. there's a battle grid and initially it's just the enemies and ziiggy on screen. you then can summon up to 5 warriors. each warrior can move a certian amount of blocks and and then can attack in different aptterns and use different spells depending on theri stats. this is so far a full game experience. The game also rewards you for listening the your music outside of the game. Though my ipod classic 80gig has crashed shortly after quitting both times after playing this game.