Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrimmPenguin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I received my new black MacBook last Monday, and today I have already experienced a major problem. My speakers and audio-in and audio-out ports stopped working. I find it funny that these three all died at once and with less than a week of use. I called Apple and after going through about 45 minutes of troubleshooting, they decided to allow me to replace my MacBook for free with a brand new one.

I'm disappointed though that I already have problems with my brand new computer. I'm feeling skeptical about getting another new MacBook now as well... I feel that something is bound to go wrong with it now.

GrimmPenguin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Did you happen to buy it refurbished?

No, I bought it brand new from Apple's Online Store. I can't believe that out of all the non-faulty MacBooks out there, I just had to end up with one. But I mean at least the problem came early, so it won't be that much work to get it back the way I want it.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
You are likely still within the return and exchange period of the store you bought it from, so take it back and ask for a different one. There is no way that you should be having any problems that quickly. I would not accept the offer to repair it as it should be working perfectly well.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
remember this is a mass production item, there are always going to a few black sheep. I have never had a problem with any of the Macs that I have purchased. You'll have no problems with your next one.

If you do, buy a couple lottery tickets. ;)

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Check out the Apple support website. It may just require the hardware reset. I forgot what Apple calls it but isn't the normal reboot. It fixed my isight camera. I don't know if they tried that with you 45 minutes with them.

GrimmPenguin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
If you are talking about resetting the PRAM, they had me do that process with them.

I pray the next one doesn't have problems like this. It's a really nice computer, and I love it dearly already. I can't believe though that I have to have fear and uncertainty of the functionality of a fine computer that I payed $1,500 plus tax for...

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
If you are talking about resetting the PRAM, they had me do that process with them.

I pray the next one doesn't have problems like this. It's a really nice computer, and I love it dearly already. I can't believe though that I have to have fear and uncertainty of the functionality of a fine computer that I payed $1,500 plus tax for...

A lot of us here are on our second MacBook because of faulty first systems.

You definitely have every reason to be weary of the MacBook. After my experiences with my first Macbook and the repair process being botched and extending my time without a functional Mac to 3 weeks, AND my experiences with OS X just being all around unstable, I can't trust a Mac as my primary system. Its a good, but very expensive backup system.

fewture

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2006
you were unlucky.

I know at least 5 people including myself with new macbooks and all have been perfect. my one just takes everything i throw at it.

If you acknowledge that there will be faulty ones, and you have been unlucky then ok, but its like being wary of being in plane or car crash. yes it can happen, but it doesn't happen most of the time.

and to the post above - OSX has been the most stable thing Ive used (ive been a windows user for 12+ years)

I have loaded so many things on it and it still works as it should and hasn't slowed down. Ive been impressed. My windows machines would stuff up when I did that.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I received my new black MacBook last Monday, and today I have already experienced a major problem. My speakers and audio-in and audio-out ports stopped working. I find it funny that these three all died at once and with less than a week of use. I called Apple and after going through about 45 minutes of troubleshooting, they decided to allow me to replace my MacBook for free with a brand new one.

Since many people would never notice that audio-in doesn't work: What did you plug in? Plugging in the wrong stuff (like a cable that usually supplies 100 watt speakers with power) could easily destroy the audio hardware.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
A lot of us here are on our second MacBook because of faulty first systems.

You definitely have every reason to be weary of the MacBook. After my experiences with my first Macbook and the repair process being botched and extending my time without a functional Mac to 3 weeks, AND my experiences with OS X just being all around unstable, I can't trust a Mac as my primary system. Its a good, but very expensive backup system.

Well, when they are shipping more units per quarter than ever, there will be an increase in the number (not percentage) of lemons. Some of these 'lemons' aren't alway either visible or the person just don't really care.

For me, this is my second MacBook (first one was nicked) and I've owned 3 Macs before that. The only fault was with the G5 iMac, it required a motherboard replacement - but that was done free of charge.

ag227

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
you were unlucky.

I know at least 5 people including myself with new macbooks and all have been perfect. my one just takes everything i throw at it.

If you acknowledge that there will be faulty ones, and you have been unlucky then ok, but its like being wary of being in plane or car crash. yes it can happen, but it doesn't happen most of the time.

and to the post above - OSX has been the most stable thing Ive used (ive been a windows user for 12+ years)

I have loaded so many things on it and it still works as it should and hasn't slowed down. Ive been impressed. My windows machines would stuff up when I did that.

i guess that makes me one of the unluckiest people about.. every single apple product i have bought has had to be returned becuase it was faulty out of the box, this includes....
  • White macbook
  • Black macbook
  • 20" iMac
  • 24" iMac
  • iPod Touch
  • iPod Nano
  • iPod 5g
  • numerous sets of earphones

AND i have been in a plane when one of the engines set on fire, which the pilot said had never happened to him in 30 years.

maybe i should buy a lottery ticket.... hmmm

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
i guess that makes me one of the unluckiest people about.. every single apple product i have bought has had to be returned becuase it was faulty out of the box, this includes....
  • White macbook
  • Black macbook
  • 20" iMac
  • 24" iMac
  • iPod Touch
  • iPod Nano
  • iPod 5g
  • numerous sets of earphones

AND i have been in a plane when one of the engines set on fire, which the pilot said had never happened to him in 30 years.

maybe i should buy a lottery ticket.... hmmm

Yes, you are simply unlucky. Everything purchased in my signature has been in this past year and everything has been 100% perfect. That even goes for two HP Windows machines not listed.

GrimmPenguin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Since many people would never notice that audio-in doesn't work: What did you plug in? Plugging in the wrong stuff (like a cable that usually supplies 100 watt speakers with power) could easily destroy the audio hardware.

Well I plugged in a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. And then plugged in a 1/4" cable into a small EQ, so I could record an acoustic guitar with a microphone.

Am I not supposed to connect an Audio-In with an EQ? I'm curious as I'm a novice in this...

EDIT: Should I have just bypassed the EQ altogether?

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
my newest macbook had a bit of a logic board issue. Called apple, they fixed the problem with in 4 days, they even fixed a audio out issue i did not even know i had! Since having it fixed, its ran perfect.

Dont let one lemon spoil your lemonaid. Macbooks are fantastic computers, once you get one that works, your going to be completly happy with it. I garuntee you would rather have a small fix-able issue on your mac which will be cured and give you less problems in the long run, than a comparible dell laptop that will give you nothing but headaches for the entire duration of the product.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Well, when they are shipping more units per quarter than ever, there will be an increase in the number (not percentage) of lemons. Some of these 'lemons' aren't alway either visible or the person just don't really care.

For me, this is my second MacBook (first one was nicked) and I've owned 3 Macs before that. The only fault was with the G5 iMac, it required a motherboard replacement - but that was done free of charge.

Considering the fact that Apple regularly charges double the amount for equivalent hardware, I'd say any kind of manufacturing defects are inexcusable.

luckygyrl83

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Fullerton, CA

I'm disappointed though that I already have problems with my brand new computer. I'm feeling skeptical about getting another new MacBook now as well... I feel that something is bound to go wrong with it now.

WOW, they are replacing it with a new one? I didnt know companies do that.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Time to check your facts.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/09/cost.of.mac.vs.pc.laptops/

Defects will happen, it's how a company handles them to keep a customer happy is what counts.

Did you even read the article?

The writer was a Mac owner that preferred Macs.

All of the "facts" were taken right out of the "How to Defend Apple's Prices" book written by Apple fanboys.

Look how laughable the comparison between the MacBook Air and X300 is. "Similarly equipped machines"? Yeah, aside from the fact that the X300 has user-serviceable parts, 3 USB ports, built-in ethernet, headphone AND microphone jacks, a built-in optical drive, and optional extended life batteries.

The MacBook Air is more of an accessory computer, while the X300 is a fully functioning notebook PC.

Sure the X300 has "slower" ULV C2Ds, but so what? Any regular visitor to this forum is well aware of the massive heating problems the MacBook Air has and is well aware of the fact that the MacBook Air regularly throttles down to 800MHz and disables a single core to be able to run cool.

The X300 is also built better than the MacBook Air. The MacBook Air is anodized aluminum that is part of the reason for the heating issues. The X300 has a re-enforced shell that is stronger than any Apple notebook.

So, again, fully functioning PC with nearly all of the features of a standard PC.. versus a computer that is designed to be an accessory to a fully functional computer, and it can't even run at full speed because it gets too hot.

The MacBook versus Dell XPS M1330 is hilarious too. This is the typical Apple fanboy "you have to compare systems of the same size!" argument. Why? Why do I have to? People are NOT buying the MacBook because it is small. They're buying it because it's the only Apple notebook they can afford!

If Apple had a reasonably priced 15.4" notebook, I guarantee you it would fly off shelves and sell more than any of the iBooks and MacBooks ever have combined.

I find it funny he mentions battery life. He forgets that the MacBook screen is basically too dim to use at any setting under 50%, and keeping it that high takes battery life down to about 3.5 hours. Which is the same as most PCs out there.

He also mentions Adobe Photoshop Elements. Why do I need that? Windows Photo Gallery is built-in. It does everything iTunes does, except "Events". Picassa is free for Windows and it is regarded by many as better than iPhoto. HP Photosmart Essentials does everything iTunes does, minus events, and has all of the same "photo book" junk that you can make ON YOUR OWN EQUIPMENT. HP sells the books, you design and print out the pages yourself.

So you don't need that.

Whats even funnier about the MacBook versus XPS M1330 comparison is that the writer fails to mention all of the features. For $1353, less than the $1299 MacBook after taxes, you get dedicated graphics! Wow! Not only that, but HDMI is standard on the system. You don't need to worry about stupid adapters that cost a lot of money. It has VGA. Two USB, Firewire, headphone and microphone and (gasp!) full size ExpressCard 54! The MBP doesn't even have that.

Even better is that the XPS M1330 is LIGHTER than the MacBook.

More than a pound lighter.

Now lets look at the even more funny MacBook Pro versus HP comparison. First all, the price is wrong. The most expensive model in that line is less than $3,200. I don't know where he got the HDD from, the HP ships with a 160GB HDD. Yes its smaller but (gasp) the USER can upgrade it! Without ripping the system apart and voiding the warranty. It's also a 7200RPM drive.

The HP also ships with a WORKSTATION CLASS GPU.

You know, Apple tries to claim the MacBook Pro is the "Professional notebook" of them all. But you know what? It's not. If it were, it would be the worst built of all business class notebooks. The case bends, warps, rusts, scratches, and dents easier than even a $500 Compaq from Wal-Mart. Business class notebooks from Lenovo (with spill-proof keyboards!), HP, Dell, etc. are all built like tanks and can take massive amounts of abuse and not shot a single mark.

The GPU it comes with is at the bottom of the list of mid-range consumer GPUs currently available. Again, that HP ships with a workstation class mobile GPU that is faster than the GeForce 8600M GT in the MBP.

That HP also supports up to 8GB of RAM.

It also has the option to support blu-ray drives!

It also has 6! USB ports, firewire, VGA, HDMI, expansion card slots, various secure card readers, memory card readers, etc.

When it comes to build quality, and connections, the MacBook Pro is literally leagues BEHIND that particular HP system.

It's hilarious that the writer of that article would even compare the two. The HP is so much better that its not even a contest.

The HP also comes with a 3 year warranty standard that includes 24-7 tech support that doesn't close on Friday at 6 (and every day, not open on weekends) like AppleCare. It has 3 years of ON-SITE support. For an extra $99 you can make a "Traveler warranty" with next day service wherever you are.

It's hilarious when Apple fanboys try to use this argument of "you must compare class and size" or something stupid like that. Because, even when you use that same argument, the Macs get out performed even more. A system that is similar size and price on the PC side comes with endless connectivity, upgrade options, expansion card possibilities, STANDARD VIDEO CONNECTIVITY, etc.

Now let's be realistic for a second. Head over to Gateway.

For $1049, $50 less than the entry level MacBook, you get this:
15.4" screen, 160GB HDD, 3GB of RAM, Fingerprint reader, DVD writer, S-Video, VGA, HDMI output, Radeon HD 2600 512MB (equivalent to the 8600M GT in the $2,499 MacBook Pro), 2.4GHz C2D. It also has bluetooth, 802.11n, memory card reader, etc.

Now lets head over to HP. Let's look at the dv5z. 2.2GHz Turion Ultra (yeah its not a C2D but it keeps up with it), 1680x1050 GLASS display (15.4), 2GB of RAM, Radeon HD 3450 (uses a hybrid crossfire mode, so the IGP and dedicated GPU work together to render the picture, making it faster than any GPU in any of the Macs right now), webcam/mic/fingerprint reader, 160GB HDD, blu-ray, high capacity battery, HDMI output, memory card reader, Vista 64-bit, etc. for $1,202.99. Take out blu-ray and go back to just a DVD writer and you're at just over $1,000.

That right there proves you're getting more hardware for half the cost of a MacBook Pro. Want to compare to the MacBook based on specs? Let's do that at HP real fast. The dv6500t ends up being about $600 less than an equivalently spec'ed MacBook.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Did you even read the article?

The writer was a Mac owner that preferred Macs.

All of the "facts" were taken right out of the "How to Defend Apple's Prices" book written by Apple fanboys.

Look how laughable the comparison between the MacBook Air and X300 is. "Similarly equipped machines"? Yeah, aside from the fact that the X300 has user-serviceable parts, 3 USB ports, built-in ethernet, headphone AND microphone jacks, a built-in optical drive, and optional extended life batteries.

The MacBook Air is more of an accessory computer, while the X300 is a fully functioning notebook PC.

Sure the X300 has "slower" ULV C2Ds, but so what? Any regular visitor to this forum is well aware of the massive heating problems the MacBook Air has and is well aware of the fact that the MacBook Air regularly throttles down to 800MHz and disables a single core to be able to run cool.

The X300 is also built better than the MacBook Air. The MacBook Air is anodized aluminum that is part of the reason for the heating issues. The X300 has a re-enforced shell that is stronger than any Apple notebook.

So, again, fully functioning PC with nearly all of the features of a standard PC.. versus a computer that is designed to be an accessory to a fully functional computer, and it can't even run at full speed because it gets too hot.

The MacBook versus Dell XPS M1330 is hilarious too. This is the typical Apple fanboy "you have to compare systems of the same size!" argument. Why? Why do I have to? People are NOT buying the MacBook because it is small. They're buying it because it's the only Apple notebook they can afford!

If Apple had a reasonably priced 15.4" notebook, I guarantee you it would fly off shelves and sell more than any of the iBooks and MacBooks ever have combined.

I find it funny he mentions battery life. He forgets that the MacBook screen is basically too dim to use at any setting under 50%, and keeping it that high takes battery life down to about 3.5 hours. Which is the same as most PCs out there.

He also mentions Adobe Photoshop Elements. Why do I need that? Windows Photo Gallery is built-in. It does everything iTunes does, except "Events". Picassa is free for Windows and it is regarded by many as better than iPhoto. HP Photosmart Essentials does everything iTunes does, minus events, and has all of the same "photo book" junk that you can make ON YOUR OWN EQUIPMENT. HP sells the books, you design and print out the pages yourself.

So you don't need that.

Whats even funnier about the MacBook versus XPS M1330 comparison is that the writer fails to mention all of the features. For $1353, less than the $1299 MacBook after taxes, you get dedicated graphics! Wow! Not only that, but HDMI is standard on the system. You don't need to worry about stupid adapters that cost a lot of money. It has VGA. Two USB, Firewire, headphone and microphone and (gasp!) full size ExpressCard 54! The MBP doesn't even have that.

Even better is that the XPS M1330 is LIGHTER than the MacBook.

More than a pound lighter.

Now lets look at the even more funny MacBook Pro versus HP comparison. First all, the price is wrong. The most expensive model in that line is less than $3,200. I don't know where he got the HDD from, the HP ships with a 160GB HDD. Yes its smaller but (gasp) the USER can upgrade it! Without ripping the system apart and voiding the warranty. It's also a 7200RPM drive.

The HP also ships with a WORKSTATION CLASS GPU.

You know, Apple tries to claim the MacBook Pro is the "Professional notebook" of them all. But you know what? It's not. If it were, it would be the worst built of all business class notebooks. The case bends, warps, rusts, scratches, and dents easier than even a $500 Compaq from Wal-Mart. Business class notebooks from Lenovo (with spill-proof keyboards!), HP, Dell, etc. are all built like tanks and can take massive amounts of abuse and not shot a single mark.

The GPU it comes with is at the bottom of the list of mid-range consumer GPUs currently available. Again, that HP ships with a workstation class mobile GPU that is faster than the GeForce 8600M GT in the MBP.

That HP also supports up to 8GB of RAM.

It also has the option to support blu-ray drives!

It also has 6! USB ports, firewire, VGA, HDMI, expansion card slots, various secure card readers, memory card readers, etc.

When it comes to build quality, and connections, the MacBook Pro is literally leagues BEHIND that particular HP system.

It's hilarious that the writer of that article would even compare the two. The HP is so much better that its not even a contest.

The HP also comes with a 3 year warranty standard that includes 24-7 tech support that doesn't close on Friday at 6 (and every day, not open on weekends) like AppleCare. It has 3 years of ON-SITE support. For an extra $99 you can make a "Traveler warranty" with next day service wherever you are.

It's hilarious when Apple fanboys try to use this argument of "you must compare class and size" or something stupid like that. Because, even when you use that same argument, the Macs get out performed even more. A system that is similar size and price on the PC side comes with endless connectivity, upgrade options, expansion card possibilities, STANDARD VIDEO CONNECTIVITY, etc.

Now let's be realistic for a second. Head over to Gateway.

For $1049, $50 less than the entry level MacBook, you get this:
15.4" screen, 160GB HDD, 3GB of RAM, Fingerprint reader, DVD writer, S-Video, VGA, HDMI output, Radeon HD 2600 512MB (equivalent to the 8600M GT in the $2,499 MacBook Pro), 2.4GHz C2D. It also has bluetooth, 802.11n, memory card reader, etc.

Now lets head over to HP. Let's look at the dv5z. 2.2GHz Turion Ultra (yeah its not a C2D but it keeps up with it), 1680x1050 GLASS display (15.4), 2GB of RAM, Radeon HD 3450 (uses a hybrid crossfire mode, so the IGP and dedicated GPU work together to render the picture, making it faster than any GPU in any of the Macs right now), webcam/mic/fingerprint reader, 160GB HDD, blu-ray, high capacity battery, HDMI output, memory card reader, Vista 64-bit, etc. for $1,202.99. Take out blu-ray and go back to just a DVD writer and you're at just over $1,000.

That right there proves you're getting more hardware for half the cost of a MacBook Pro. Want to compare to the MacBook based on specs? Let's do that at HP real fast. The dv6500t ends up being about $600 less than an equivalently spec'ed MacBook.
And every machine you mentioned weighs pounds more than the MacBook Pro (except the Dell 1330). And an HDMI port still requires an adapter to connect to a DVI display, so regardless of what ports are on a machine, at some point you'll need an adapter of one kind or another.

But the biggest difference is, of course only, the Apple machines run OS X. Otherwise, this whole discussion is academic.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
And every machine you mentioned weighs pounds more than the MacBook Pro (except the Dell 1330).

Heh, so?

Let's see, a system that is more powerful for half the cost and includes the ability to play high definiton movies on an HDTV via a single standard cable with no adapters that weighs less than a single pound more than a system that is less powerful, has heat issues, and doesn't include any of those features or connectivity?

Let's see again, a system that weighs over 5.5 pounds that costs twice as much as the competition, doesn't have as much standard connectivity, ports, or expansion options and does not have user serviceable or upgradeable parts? A system that is not as powerful as the system that costs half as much (in terms of graphics), requires a second operating system to take full advantage of the hardware.. A system that has shoddy build quality in a case that is prone to denting, warping caused by heat issues, scratching, rusting, breaking.

OR, a system that costs half as much as that previous system, has more connectivity, expansion, user serviceable and upgradeable parts (sometimes even the CPU!).. has no heat issues, no build quality.. you can legally watch HD movies connected to an HDTV with a single cable. You can play games and take full advantage of the hardware without a secondary operating system?

The answer is pretty clear for anyone who has some common sense.

And an HDMI port still requires an adapter to connect to a DVI display, so regardless of what ports are on a machine, at some point you'll need an adapter of one kind or another.

See, PC notebooks are built to be independent machines. The HDMI port is meant for the LARGE number of people out there who like to hook their computer up to their HDTV.

Not to mention the fact that a large majority of high quality (and cheap) LCD monitors have been shipping with HDMI inputs for a long time now.

Actually, it seems Apple is the ONLY manufacturer to not ship monitors with HDMI connectivity.

But the biggest difference is, of course only, the Apple machines run OS X. Otherwise, this whole discussion is academic.

Well, honestly, as much as I like my MacBook (minus the lack of dedicated graphics) I don't see OS X as an advantage.

I know that I'm going to have to install Windows for a number reasons. If I want to play games for example, I'll need Windows. If I want to watch DVDs with good quality, I'll need Windows. If I want to use good burning software, I'll need Windows. If I want to rip CDs I need Windows (sorry, iTunes has nothing on EAC).

So even though I run Windows in Fusion now, OS X is still a secondary OS to Windows.

And to be honest with you, my next PC purchase will be more influenced by hardware and price, not software. Because I need the hardware to do certain things for me that Macs just cannot do unless you spend ridiculous amounts of money. Theres no reason for a computer that costs $1299 before taxes to NOT have dedicated graphics.

The $1299 MacBook as it is now would be PERFECT with at least a GeForce 8400M GS.

I wouldn't need nor have my PC if the Mac had dedicated graphics.

I know one could use the argument against me that I have 2 PCs and the combined cost would have netted me a MacBook Pro. But! I had purchased my HP a year before the Mac. I bought the Mac last year. I let a family member use the HP with the intention of them keeping it. Well, since they have no respect for anything, it ended up being broken. It was replaced under warranty (let's see AppleCare do that) and I ended up keeping it. I never let that family member anywhere near my computers now.

So yeah. What you get for your money is more important than the false belief that OS X is better.

Next year I'll spend another $1500 on a new computer after selling these two off around the same time. If I can get a NEW Mac with equal specs (dedicated graphics, same amount of RAM, etc) to a PC in the same price range, then I'll get a Mac. But if not, I'll go with a PC. Either way I'll need to have Windows installed in one way or another.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Well stated, mosx. You made some good points, I must say.

I'm a loyal mac user and couldn't switch to a Windows-only comp, but the Macbook's utter lack of a graphics card, a bigger screen option, and a superdrive on the low-end model is absolutely unacceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.