PDA

View Full Version : MacBook for HD video editing?

Kiyomizu
Jul 8, 2008, 12:59 AM
Hello, I'm a newbie to this forum but have lurked for a couple of years waiting to buy a new laptop to replace my 5 year old Sony Vaio PCG-NV55E/B. I think the time is ripe to move to Apple since I was really considering to buy another Sony Vaio with Vista. But since reading up on the Vista debacle, I was put off to purchasing a new laptop.

Now I am really considering to buy a Black MacBook whenever it is upgraded according to all the recent rumors about Montevina and the new specs.

I bought a Sony HDR-SR12 and a 40" Sony Bravia F-1 here in Japan but would like to use Apple and OS-X to edit my videos using iMovie or upgrading by buying another video editing software.

My question is, will a Black MacBook or the upcoming MacBook be able to edit High Definition video footage?

I also plan to purchase a 23" Cinema Display with wireless keyboard and mouse using the MacBook as my main computer.

I'm really torn between doing this or buying a 15" MBP because I want to use the MacBook to edit the videos on the go too. I'm just starting to pick up my favorite hobby of videography and just wondering how to go about purchasing my first Mac that will suit my budget and video editing needs.

winninganthem
Jul 8, 2008, 06:05 AM
How serious are you about this hobby?

I once contemplated between getting a Blackbook or a Macbook Pro for the same reasons as you. Video editing is a hobby of mine. I only edit about two or three videos a year, so I definitely don't have very demanding needs.

However, I would opt for the Pro machine because I figure that in the 2-3 videos I make a year, I would feel most comfortable knowing that I have the best tools available to work with. Also, it is very comfortable knowing that I have the power available if I ever decide to become more serious with video work in the future. I get a big sense of security thinking that I have the capability to change something if I really wanted to.

The 15" screen is a lot nicer to look at than the 13.3" screen in my opinion, and the aluminum casing feels sleek and sexy. Small aesthetics can change and enhance the way you work.

Also, from a purely technical standpoint, I doubt the Blackbook can handle HD video with integrated graphics.

All in all, I think a Blackbook is fine for video if all you're doing is dabbling in iMovie with just standard DV footage to have fun or just work fast, but I would never consider running another program that was more robust on a Blackbook.

Chris Blount
Jul 8, 2008, 06:11 AM
I have edited HD video on my 2.4 GHZ Penryn Macbook.

It works fine. No worries.

Kiyomizu
Jul 8, 2008, 07:29 AM
I have waited a couple of years to make sure the technology matured enough to be able to start taking digital videos just as an amateur. I'm not going to become a professional but I would like an Apple laptop that won't hesitate with heavy digital video editing. I plan to travel around Japan and want to show the videos to as many people as I can. It's all for fun and not for profit but if it does pay off, I would gladly give the proceeds to charity.

But as Chris has pointed out, there is no problem with doing HD editing on a MacBook, then I will purchase one as soon as it updates since I'm not in a hurry right now.

Hopefully the new update will come soon though! :cool:

Skeletal-dæmon
Jul 8, 2008, 08:53 AM
It should be fine. I'm on my new BlackBook and I'm gonna be taking this machine through university doing a video degree. We're using HD footage now, and I'll be doing most of my work on the university's Mac Pro's and the only time I'll actually be doing video work on the BlackBook is if I start feeling the need to tinker with the video at odd hours of the night.

The main reason I went BlackBook over MacBook Pro is because its black, its smaller, its lighter (well a bit) and if you're not doing any video work, the battery lasts longer too. Plus the processor is the same as that on the low-end MBP, and granted it doesn't have a discreet graphic engine but its 144MB shared memory is enough to chew through HD footage and render all but the most complex of effects. It'll just take slightly longer*.

Dæmon

*Disclaimer: "slightly longer" denotes a period of time longer than the MacBook Pro would take, but less time than, say, the weathering of Mt Everest to sea level by the wind...