PDA

View Full Version : OMG will the madness ever end?

Backtothemac
May 15, 2002, 01:09 PM
Look at this. But have a trash can close by, your going to need it.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/05/15/dell.dude.reut/index.html

I personally cannot wait for this phenom to die off. I am so sick of dude, you gettin.....

How about Apple starts one and the moto is "dude, you gettin a computer that will work for you...."

iGav
May 15, 2002, 01:22 PM
ut being Dell, they are not experts at managing talent assets and they show some tendencies to get a little corny, a little cheesy

Couldn't have said it better myself...... :p

TFFT atleast we haven't got the Dell Dude on our screens in the UK !!! :p

Sounds dead cheesy! I mean....... the Dell Dude... come on....... :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2002, 01:26 PM
Dell T-shirts with the word "Dude" on them are now selling for $11.99. Some analysts worry that Dell's young spokesman may be getting overexposed. *

Capitalizing on the popularity of its young, bushy-browed spokesman the Dell Dude, the Round Rock, Texas-based company has begun selling "Dude" branded T-shirts, caps and backpacks.

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Dell Computer Corp., best known for the low-priced hardware that it sells through its Web site, is moving into Dudewear.

This is a prime example on how marketing can backfire. They're advertising for a certain market, and they're making themselves look less professional, in my opinion.

They will end up giving the shirts, caps and backpacks away, I can't see how they're going to get people to buy them. Who thought this up? We buy Dells here at our office, I can't wait to see if the IT guys get them, ha!

'Dude, Where's my computer! ' the sequal to 'Dude, Where's my car!'

Geert
May 15, 2002, 01:41 PM
This is a prime example on how marketing can backfire. They're advertising for a certain market, and they're making themselves look less professional, in my opinion.

That's how I think about it too, GOOD:D
That they stick with T-shirt selling instead of copycat-ing AAPL.

mcrain
May 15, 2002, 02:24 PM
Hey Arn, put up a "Dude, you're going to be frustrated" or "Dude, you're getting an unreliable soon to be obsolete Dell" t-shirt up on the site, and I'll be a "demi-god" tomorrow!

mischief
May 15, 2002, 02:33 PM
" Dude" was a word Americans picked up on Safari that translated roughly as "Elephant scrotum scuzz" that Western Ranchers then used as a joke to refer to Rich (naive) white Easterners as while they were adventuring on "Dude Ranches".

Backtothemac
May 15, 2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
Hey Arn, put up a "Dude, you're going to be frustrated" or "Dude, you're getting an unreliable soon to be obsolete Dell" t-shirt up on the site, and I'll be a "demi-god" tomorrow!

LOL!!!! That is a good one. Oh, my God, I just agreed with mcrain.... :p

jelloshotsrule
May 15, 2002, 03:31 PM
here's a funny note about this dell guy... he went to nyu before he made it big as dell man...

in fact, he lived on the same floor as my girlfriend.

her mom wanted her to ditch me and get with the rich dell man... ha.

i should've kicked him in the pants when i had the chance.... but alas, he's out of school now of course.

Backtothemac
May 15, 2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
here's a funny note about this dell guy... he went to nyu before he made it big as dell man...

in fact, he lived on the same floor as my girlfriend.

her mom wanted her to ditch me and get with the rich dell man... ha.

i should've kicked him in the pants when i had the chance.... but alas, he's out of school now of course.

Oh dear god, talk about hinesight right? That would have to have been just too much to bear. I saw him on Leno, and though he was a cross between Keanu and Balkey :p

OMG 492!!!! Almost there!!! Duke you still helping me with the tar?

mischief
May 15, 2002, 03:45 PM
T-Shirts with this on the back:

"Hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time!!!"

Or M$:

"But..... If we do that other companies will be able to COMPETE with us!!!!!"

jelloshotsrule
May 15, 2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Oh dear god, talk about hinesight right? That would have to have been just too much to bear. I saw him on Leno, and though he was a cross between Keanu and Balkey :p

indeed. i never actually saw him, but then again i didn't even know who he was til he had left the school i think. from what i heard he made something like half a million for just the ads he did around christmas. don't quote me on this though...

if i'm right, you could see why my girlfriend's mom would want her to ditch me for him though. oh, that and the looks.... and the family curse i endure "down under"... hahaha ahhhh

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2002, 03:56 PM

I'll get you one tonight. I have a couple of ideas, lets talk off line.

Backtothemac
May 15, 2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

I'll get you one tonight. I have a couple of ideas, lets talk off line.

YEA HAW!!! I will be home after 6 PM Central.

mcrain
May 15, 2002, 04:10 PM
You need a guy who keeps turning around and floating in mid air behind him is a new imac, also rotating.

Backtothemac
May 15, 2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
You need a guy who keeps turning around and floating in mid air behind him is a new imac, also rotating.

That would be cool. But for my name I thought a windows logo that would fade into an aqua X or Mac happy face :)

eyelikeart
May 15, 2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by mischief
" Dude" was a word Americans picked up on Safari that translated roughly as "Elephant scrotum scuzz" that Western Ranchers then used as a joke to refer to Rich (naive) white Easterners as while they were adventuring on "Dude Ranches".

I do believe u are right mischief...he he he...

anyway...whatever...I could care less because I won't be buying a new Dell next year anyway... :o

mcrain
May 15, 2002, 04:23 PM
That would be cool. But for my name I thought a windows logo that would fade into an aqua X or Mac happy face :)

But it would have to repeat, so just when it changed into something good, it would change back into the windows logo.

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2002, 05:13 PM
My thoughts ran more along this line.

Animated gifs don't need to repeat, so a non repetitive,you miss the show if you're not watching, and there's nothing really wrong with that, makes the tar all that much more special. A lot of people will 'get it' over a much longer period of time. Also I could freeze the first frame for 5 or 10 seconds to give it some delay....

The 'tar idea:

A pc sitting there, minding its own business, all of a sudden an LCD iMac jumps from the top of the frame and pounds it into bits. 'tar ends with the iMac in the frame with a suitable logo on the screen.

Hows that sound?

Backtothemac
May 15, 2002, 07:22 PM
My thoughts ran more along this line.

Animated gifs don't need to repeat, so a non repetitive,you miss the show if you're not watching, and there's nothing really wrong with that, makes the tar all that much more special. A lot of people will 'get it' over a much longer period of time. Also I could freeze the first frame for 5 or 10 seconds to give it some delay....

The 'tar idea:

A pc sitting there, minding its own business, all of a sudden an LCD iMac jumps from the top of the frame and pounds it into bits. 'tar ends with the iMac in the frame with a suitable logo on the screen.

Hows that sound?

OMG !@!!!!!! yes, I love that!!!! That is perfect!!!!!

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2002, 07:30 PM

OMG !@!!!!!! yes, I love that!!!! That is perfect!!!!!

Whoohoo, so we have a winner. I'll get right on it. It will end up being my most ambitious 'tar yet, excellent.

What do you want on the iMac Screen. Something personal might be good. Let me know.

D

jelloshotsrule
May 15, 2002, 07:43 PM

Whoohoo, so we have a winner. I'll get right on it. It will end up being my most ambitious 'tar yet, excellent.

What do you want on the iMac Screen. Something personal might be good. Let me know.

D

wow, how are you planning to do this? you gonna take a 2d imac image or make a full 3D one? if it's the latter, you are one ambitious mofo....

and if it IS the latter, make sure you render out a big version too so it's worth more than the 50 x 50... ha good luck either way

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2002, 08:26 PM
wow, how are you planning to do this? you gonna take a 2d imac image or make a full 3D one? if it's the latter, you are one ambitious mofo....

and if it IS the latter, make sure you render out a big version too so it's worth more than the 50 x 50... ha good luck either way

Don't ever assume I'm just a 3D animator. I started out in 2D and Image Ready is very cool. We're not talking a huge project either, its not going to be more than 20 frames or so. Wait till I get it done and then critique me, I'm not sure how well I'll pull it off either, but I'm optimistic it will look good regardless.:cool:

jelloshotsrule
May 15, 2002, 09:52 PM
Don't ever assume I'm just a 3D animator. I started out in 2D and Image Ready is very cool. We're not talking a huge project either, its not going to be more than 20 frames or so. Wait till I get it done and then critique me, I'm not sure how well I'll pull it off either, but I'm optimistic it will look good regardless.:cool:

i never thought you were just in 3D. but i figured that would be amazing if you could pull that ****e off... oh well, so much for me thinking highly of you... haha :p

Backtothemac
May 15, 2002, 10:56 PM
I just feel honored to have Duke do the tar for me! I think "hi" would be great. If it was large enough...."dude, you just got nuked" would be cool. That would be soooo sweet. Again, thanks for the help on this..

jelloshotsrule
May 15, 2002, 11:13 PM
back 2 da mac.

you should get one of a car going around and around in an oval around a track... ha

have him do a 3D golf one. come. make him really push the limits of that tiny little 50x50 box! ha

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 02:15 AM

i never thought you were just in 3D. but i figured that would be amazing if you could pull that ****e off... oh well, so much for me thinking highly of you... haha :p

Wait till I pull it off, then be amazed. But I'll be the first one amazed, that's for sure. Very high constraints on this one, but I think its in the realm of possibilities.

Ensign Paris
May 16, 2002, 02:45 AM
Can't Dell just go away?

They annoy me even more that Microsoft! (Well, maybe not!)

Ensign

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 08:18 AM

Wait till I pull it off, then be amazed. But I'll be the first one amazed, that's for sure. Very high constraints on this one, but I think its in the realm of possibilities.

once you pull it off (or don't), i'll be there for a 3D short... so hurry your old ass up. ha :)

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 08:22 AM
That's what's going to be so good about the 'tar. It will be damn funny and appriate. I'll have it done this morning.:D

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 08:26 AM

once you pull it off (or don't), i'll be there for a 3D short... so hurry your old ass up. ha :)

Actually, that's perfect for a 3D short. iMac crushes Dell machine. Oh, why didn't I think of that sooner. A nice little quicktime, with that sort of controversial message, I imagine it will be viewed quite a few times.

If I make it, do you know any place that would host it? I don't think putting it on my apple idisk would be a good place. Ha, but it would be funny, no? I'll put it up there and see what happens. If you'd like to help with this, that would be great, we'll need some audio work too. I'm thinking taking the audio track from the Pixar iMac movies and using that.

Any thoughts, jello?

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 08:37 AM
man i don't know. after seeing the imacs on the beach i'm more than a bit intimidated of modeling and creating 3D imacs....

i like the idea. i fear my inability though. booo

and i don't see any reason you couldn't put it on the idisk... if it gets taken down, let me know and i can put it up somewhere.... of course it's not done yet so i'm getting ahead of myself.

Backtothemac
May 16, 2002, 08:44 AM
I think it would be a massive amount of work. By the way Duke, thanks for the report on Eps. II. I cannot wait to go and see it. Just to see Mace turn the puppy on is going to be way cool. Excuse me, I need a towel....

Anyway, what would you use for a 3-d rendering? Lightwave?

Again, thanks for the help on this.

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 09:51 AM
I'd use Lightwave, the same one used for the iMacs on the beach. I think after doing your tar, I'll try it. I might email the guy who did the beach to see if I can 'borrow' one of his models. That would save a ton of work.

We'll see.

D

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 10:09 AM
That 'tar is looking mighty good there, b2tm. I might have an update for you later, there are a few things that need to be adjusted, seeing it now as a tar. I'll talk to you soon.

So jello? Comments?

D

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 11:56 AM
I'd use Lightwave, the same one used for the iMacs on the beach. I think after doing your tar, I'll try it. I might email the guy who did the beach to see if I can 'borrow' one of his models. That would save a ton of work.

yeah, the models seem more complex to me than anything else (well besides the obvious beach, waves, etc... ha) so getting them would help.

i have never had much luck with texturing... so i don't get how they did the apple logo, even the monitor.... oh well. i have a simple mind i guess.

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 11:57 AM
That 'tar is looking mighty good there, b2tm. I might have an update for you later, there are a few things that need to be adjusted, seeing it now as a tar. I'll talk to you soon.

So jello? Comments?

i commented in the thread where big man makes his announcement about the avatar.

i like it. i won't repeat what i said. by now you've probably already read and responded on the other thread. ha

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 12:28 PM

yeah, the models seem more complex to me than anything else (well besides the obvious beach, waves, etc... ha) so getting them would help.

i have never had much luck with texturing... so i don't get how they did the apple logo, even the monitor.... oh well. i have a simple mind i guess.

Texturing is an art in itself, and I'm still learning more every day. But depending on the object, you can use any combination of planar, cylindrical and spherical. But for character animation, UV mapping usually is the only way to go. I've used it a couple times, but I need to master it in Lightwave.

For the iMac, the monitor is a simple planar mapping, the base could use either spherical (since it is a half sphere and you'd not need to see underneith) or UV.

I'll let you know if I get the model.

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 02:43 PM
Texturing is an art in itself, and I'm still learning more every day. But depending on the object, you can use any combination of planar, cylindrical and spherical. But for character animation, UV mapping usually is the only way to go. I've used it a couple times, but I need to master it in Lightwave.

For the iMac, the monitor is a simple planar mapping, the base could use either spherical (since it is a half sphere and you'd not need to see underneith) or UV.

I'll let you know if I get the model.

yeah, it certainly is. unfortunately we didn't really study texturing much in my classes. and i haven't messed around with it enough on my own. the thing that just is so weird to me is making those images that are all mixed up, and then when you apply it to the object on UV mapping, it looks great. it is hard for me to imagine the actual process of creating the map itself... but i'm sure it's something working on would help me figure out...

so which of the pieces of the monitor are separate geometry do you think? or can you just apply textures to certain parts in lightwave? you can in maya, but it's not always supereasy..
pardon me for my ignorance. i know after hearing me sound dumb you'll just be BEGGING me to work on a short with you.... ha. right :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 02:50 PM

so which of the pieces of the monitor are separate geometry do you think? or can you just apply textures to certain parts in lightwave? you can in maya, but it's not always supereasy..
pardon me for my ignorance. i know after hearing me sound dumb you'll just be BEGGING me to work on a short with you.... ha. right :rolleyes:

In Lightwave, you can assign any polygon any surface. So if you can select it you're good to go. For the iMac Model, all you would do is select the screen surface, which could be only one polygon to begin with and choose the surface. Like I said, piece of cake.

If you take a grid texture map and use UV mapping it will give you a much better idea about what's going on. Try it and see, make the grid small enough, but not too small, that you see easily how the distortions are created.

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 02:54 PM
In Lightwave, you can assign any polygon any surface. So if you can select it you're good to go. For the iMac Model, all you would do is select the screen surface, which could be only one polygon to begin with and choose the surface. Like I said, piece of cake.

If you take a grid texture map and use UV mapping it will give you a much better idea about what's going on. Try it and see, make the grid small enough, but not too small, that you see easily how the distortions are created.

yeah, i guess the thing is just that i haven't tried anything like that myself.. as far as difficulty in texturing. the emphasis has been first modeling, then animating/rigging... so i haven't concentrated too much on texturing, even though it's vital to making something look good.

yeah, taht sounds like a good test. have you done any complicated maps like i described? i need to get a job, then i can spend my free time messing around.

my mom is hounding me about a job. i've called numerous video places, but no luck so far... ahhh. i hate talking to people too.. oh well.

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 03:05 PM
I UV mapped a logo onto a lab jacket, here's the image. I did this for a screen saver, payed work actually. But as for really crazy texture maps, I use multiple levels of maps all the time, specular, transparency, color, difuse, bump, reflection, glossy etc. Then you have to worry about the type of map application - planar, spherical etc. It takes a lot of time, but the results are worth it.

I'll try and dig up one that's got a lot going on.

D

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 03:07 PM
I UV mapped a logo onto a lab jacket, here's the image. I did this for a screen saver, payed work actually. But as for really crazy texture maps, I use multiple levels of maps all the time, specular, transparency, color, difuse, bump, reflection, glossy etc. Then you have to worry about the type of map application - planar, spherical etc. It takes a lot of time, but the results are worth it.

I'll try and dig up one that's got a lot going on.

nice. interesting mirror effect.

i've done limited stuff with the various maps, but enough to know what most of them are at least... haha. that's a start!

me hungy

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 03:23 PM

nice. interesting mirror effect.

It was a cool little job. I ended up doing about 10 different <30 sec animations and cycled a few to end up with about 5 minutes of animation. So I basically got to play around with the character animation, it made feel like I was back in school and doing an assignment again.

go get food.....

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 03:32 PM

It was a cool little job. I ended up doing about 10 different <30 sec animations and cycled a few to end up with about 5 minutes of animation. So I basically got to play around with the character animation, it made feel like I was back in school and doing an assignment again.

that's cool. so now that we've shot the ****e for a while, what exactly do you do? is it total freelance or more structured or what? and it's a mix of 2d and 3d i guess eh? and web?

go get food.....

i did. time to golf.

ps. if your company (or just you) needs a summer intern who "wants to use my own creative and technical skills while also gaining experience and learning/honing new skills" feel free to let me nkow..... nova's not TOO far from hicksville.. haha!

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 03:44 PM

that's cool. so now that we've shot the ****e for a while, what exactly do you do? is it total freelance or more structured or what? and it's a mix of 2d and 3d i guess eh? and web?

ps. if your company (or just you) needs a summer intern who "wants to use my own creative and technical skills while also gaining experience and learning/honing new skills" feel free to let me nkow..... nova's not TOO far from hicksville.. haha!

I'm a one man graphics department for an R&D company in DC, with over 100 employees. Its not a happy place for me, you can be sure. I do just about everything, but I've managed to get some of the support staff up to speed on a few simple PowerPoint things and imagery in general, stuff I'd prefer not to touch. Mostly the scientists come to me to make their ideas look like something the government/military/client want to buy. I've done some animation, but not enough. I've got an old portfolio of stuff online you can see for yourself - my freelance is much more interesting.

www.dukestreet.com/portfolio

Its kind of sterile, I need to zip it up, add a few more interesting animations that I've done (Mole and others), the ones up there now are what my bosses wanted me to make, very conservative, not very creative, very painful for me to watch anymore. That's why I need to do some 3D shorts, Floss Gordon, etc.

The atmosphere is not ripe right now to bring on anyone in a graphic related position. I've been asking for an assistant, but that won't ever happen. But if I hear of anything I'll let you know. You have a portfolio?

D

Backtothemac
May 16, 2002, 04:27 PM
Off topic, but what the hey right...

On you site under the photography, who is the blonde with the German shepard?
;)

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 04:41 PM
Off topic, but what the hey right...

On you site under the photography, who is the blonde with the German shepard?
;)

My wife is the one in the Dominican Republic with the umbrella. The other woman is a friend of ours, who we go hiking with, along with the dogs. Their dog is a Norwegian Elk Hound, Pippa is her name (the dog).

Why?

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 06:27 PM

I'm a one man graphics department for an R&D company in DC, with over 100 employees. Its not a happy place for me, you can be sure. I do just about everything, but I've managed to get some of the support staff up to speed on a few simple PowerPoint things and imagery in general, stuff I'd prefer not to touch. Mostly the scientists come to me to make their ideas look like something the government/military/client want to buy. I've done some animation, but not enough. I've got an old portfolio of stuff online you can see for yourself - my freelance is much more interesting.

Its kind of sterile, I need to zip it up, add a few more interesting animations that I've done (Mole and others), the ones up there now are what my bosses wanted me to make, very conservative, not very creative, very painful for me to watch anymore. That's why I need to do some 3D shorts, Floss Gordon, etc.

The atmosphere is not ripe right now to bring on anyone in a graphic related position. I've been asking for an assistant, but that won't ever happen. But if I hear of anything I'll let you know. You have a portfolio?
D

unfortunately i don't have a portfolio that i'd show really... i don't have enough pieces with a particular medium... ie, i have a few videos i've done/edited, a few animations (2D), my one decent 3D animation (the character one i did is just so rough, it's not worth showing)...

it's the kind of thing where if i had a particular project, i'd do it and have it to show, but except for classes, i don't have much inspiration for specific projects. hopefully this summer i'll get something together. perhaps with yourself...

funny note from your web page...

"All digital pieces have been done on both Macintosh and Windows NT Platforms using one or more of the following software packages:

Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Golive Cyber Studio
Adobe Premiere
Adobe Pagemaker
Adobe Final Cut Pro
Microsoft PowerPoint"

either that second to last line is a typo or it's a product i never heard of, and apple must've paid for the name... haha.

oh yeah, i liked the license plate animation. fairly complex, with the car and all... no?

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 06:40 PM

unfortunately i don't have a portfolio that i'd show really... i don't have enough pieces with a particular medium... ie, i have a few videos i've done/edited, a few animations (2D), my one decent 3D animation (the character one i did is just so rough, it's not worth showing)...

funny note from your web page...

"All digital pieces have been done on both Macintosh and Windows NT Platforms using one or more of the following software packages:

Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Golive Cyber Studio
Adobe Premiere
Adobe Pagemaker
Adobe Final Cut Pro
Microsoft PowerPoint"

either that second to last line is a typo or it's a product i never heard of, and apple must've paid for the name... haha.

oh yeah, i liked the license plate animation. fairly complex, with the car and all... no?

Oops, going to have to go and fix that one. But I want to redo the whole thing in flash, make it a bit snappier.

That license plate animation was an older one, the airplane one took much longer. Building that damn robot was deadly. But the last part of the License Plate one was very cool. Actually I did use some deft textures on that. I had to recreate the whole gas station from skratch using a bunch of photos. It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun. You can even read the gas prices, I scanned in from the photo, here's a detail below.

If I were you, I'd set up a small sample of work on your iDisk. Clean what you have, make some new stuff this summer while you have the chance, get motivated and you'll be happy you did by the time you're ready to start looking for a real job after school.

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 06:46 PM
Oops, going to have to go and fix that one. But I want to redo the whole thing in flash, make it a bit snappier.

That license plate animation was an older one, the airplane one took much longer. Building that damn robot was deadly. But the last part of the License Plate one was very cool. Actually I did use some deft textures on that. I had to recreate the whole gas station from skratch using a bunch of photos. It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun. You can even read the gas prices, I scanned in from the photo, here's a detail below.

If I were you, I'd set up a small sample of work on your iDisk. Clean what you have, make some new stuff this summer while you have the chance, get motivated and you'll be happy you did by the time you're ready to start looking for a real job after school.

that's another thing i want to do this summer... learn flash. we'll see

yeah, that's a cool detail. again, for me, i haven't done a "real" 3D proejct outside of school, but just thinking about it is getting me pumped to do so. something about not having to worry about a grade and such is nice...

i agree with you. as i said in the other thread, it'll happen, just gotta find something to keep my mom at bay first.... within 2 weeks i think i'd be able to talk seriously about a collaboration, unless you've given up hope in me.... hmm

Macmaniac
May 16, 2002, 07:01 PM
Dude why would you want to be a walking advertisement. Very corny stuff, really dumb.

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Dude why would you want to be a walking advertisement. Very corny stuff, really dumb.

are you seriously trashing his portfolio? i'd hope not...

it's stuff he's done for clients. not just stuff he's come up with for fun. so of course it is promoting products and such. that's how it is when you grow up and hit the professional world.

Backtothemac
May 16, 2002, 08:40 PM
Ladies,
Actually, I thought both were very attractive. What is going on in here? Did I miss something? Please tell me that Maniac is not trashing your portfolio? WTF? Damn, kudos on it. I love the pics, I just wish I had them for wallpapers.

Anyway if you are trashing his portfolio, just know that we have 26 kegs of A$$ Wippin just waiting for you....

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 08:42 PM
Actually, I thought both were very attractive. What is going on in here? Did I miss something? Please tell me that Maniac is not trashing your portfolio? WTF? Damn, kudos on it. I love the pics, I just wish I had them for wallpapers.

Anyway if you are trashing his portfolio, just know that we have 26 kegs of A$$ Wippin just waiting for you....

it's ok back-dawg. i checked his profile and he's 15... he's got an excuse for not really knowing what a professional graphics portfolio should look like.

it's a good portfolio from what i saw. i was using chimera to look at it and had some bumps, so i didn't look at everything closely.

Backtothemac
May 16, 2002, 08:49 PM

it's ok back-dawg. i checked his profile and he's 15... he's got an excuse for not really knowing what a professional graphics portfolio should look like.

it's a good portfolio from what i saw. i was using chimera to look at it and had some bumps, so i didn't look at everything closely.

UM, ok. Well, I guess I should look at profiles before I get up in somebody. Hey, the man made my tar. I have to get his back....:D

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 08:53 PM

UM, ok. Well, I guess I should look at profiles before I get up in somebody. Hey, the man made my tar. I have to get his back....:D

well as you can see i kinda got on him too. and then i checked and figured he should still be somewhat busted on, otherwise how will he learn...

and as for duke, even though he makes fun of me sometimes, he is my future partner, so of course i got his back too. booyah!

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 09:45 PM
Damn, go to dinner and everything goes crazy. Its a good thing I wasn't around. Macmaniac, my portfolio is what it is, I admitted already that it needed work, so what's your point? The work that I've done was given to me, I didn't choose the subject, I did what I could in the small amount of time I had. Just one thing more

Lets see yours.....

Thanks for standing in for me Jello and B2TM:D

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 10:18 PM
Thanks for standing in for me Jello and B2TM:D

true dat. gotta cover my future partner and/or employer... haha

once i read what he wrote, i thought "he sounds kinda dumb". i responded. then i checked his profile and saw he's 15. so he's not expected to know what a real portfolio would be like. then again, why bother opening his mouth? oh well.

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 10:25 PM
It is a pretty poor form, it doesn't even make any sense. Is he talking about the whole portfolio in general, or just some of the screen shots I posted? But I'd agree, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Anyway, as for colaboration, any ideas? Your bouncing ball test could be incorportated into a much bigger idea. I'm not sure what yet, but maybe lead up to it bouncing, flying, going somewhere, the end is the catch, that will be what we need to figure out.

The story is always more important than the execution. Let me know what you think.

D

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 10:41 PM
Anyway, as for colaboration, any ideas? Your bouncing ball test could be incorportated into a much bigger idea. I'm not sure what yet, but maybe lead up to it bouncing, flying, going somewhere, the end is the catch, that will be what we need to figure out.

The story is always more important than the execution. Let me know what you think.

D

i agree for sure. that's the whole reason i haven't executed yet. haha.

but yeah, i think that would be good. that way my test idea could still be USED within the expansion of the idea... ideally i'd like to mess around with some character interaction (ie, live person with 3D prop) but if it doesn't fit with the story it's cool....

hmm... i'll start thinking more heavily... then we can get some "boards" going... haha. but yeah, i'll definitely think some. so long as it doesn't hurt too much.... :)

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 10:48 PM
Character interaction: a child drops the ball and it continues to bounce down the street. We go to different locations and take still or motion video of a location and its still bouncing, going down a road, across a river, over a railroad.

Pretty silly, but a start of a story. Now, for the reason its going someplace.....
or where it ends up

This one is doalbe. Easy and I like it.

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 10:54 PM
Character interaction: a child drops the ball and it continues to bounce down the street. We go to different locations and take still or motion video of a location and its still bouncing, going down a road, across a river, over a railroad.

Pretty silly, but a start of a story. Now, for the reason its going someplace.....
or where it ends up

This one is doalbe. Easy and I like it.

do you have kids? :)

my niece and nephew will be coming back to the states in june... i just can't see calling upon my many many illegitimate children to act for me... haha

seriously though, i like. i think the key with taking video rather than stills is that there could be something moving in the scene other than the ball (3d object) just to better mesh the scene... even if it's branches blowing or something... for the railroad and more remote ideas that is. and on streets and such there's always people... this idea's starting to bounce so to speak. ha

actually, me and my bro were living in harlem this past summer and were thus inspired by hearing a lot of rap music. so us 2 whiteys started making up a goofy rap song whose chorus is "bounce with me don't bounce against me"... and we made a couple verses.... we actually started recording it on his g4, but didn't finish before he had to leave... but that'd be a funny ass theme song... haha

"standing in line at the bouncy castle, me and my boys didn't want no hassle.
this chump walks up to me, up at the gate, i said step aside son this BOUNCE is first rate...." into chorus... haha. there's more. but i forget. aren't you lucky. ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 07:04 AM
Yes, the ball bouncing through different scenes, with video, absolutely, and some sort of background noise, music etc. for each one. Ok, I think were there, lets take it off line and flesh out the project.

I can get a neighbors kid, won't be a problem. Oooh, also I figured out the story line, great thouht just popped up. I'll pm you.