PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming of a world without cable companies...

mtfield
Jul 8, 2008, 03:56 AM
So, today I was screwed once again by my cable company... but that isn't the point of this post... while waiting on hold for around 30min I began to dreaming of a world where I didn't owe the cable company $75 for a basic cable connection that was constantly dropping out.. and that's when I remembered seeing the eyetv which I started looking into seriously (looks like a great product) anyway I live in chicago where with a indoor antenna ($30) I can get free HD of most of the normal basic cable channels. So, that just leaves me with the odds and ends shows that I have a hankering for... and this is where iTunes is filling in the gaps.. their tv catalogue is getting closer to fulfilling my hopes and dreams.. however I must say that I am a sucker for those stupid shows... like bravo with their idiotic yet strangely addicting "flipping out" show... or my favorite show entourage, but that seems like only a matter of time. if only iTunes could make that final push and fill in the gaps I would be one happy cable free fellow! I would be more than content to give that money to itunes, rather than giving it to my arch enemy... comcast. Anyway I know that day is coming and that will be a great day when I can call comcast and tell them where they can stick their cable box. Anyway, just felt like getting this off my chest.. is there anyone else out there who shares my vision of the future? Have a good night all!

DARKJ3DI
Jul 8, 2008, 04:50 AM
i wish for better digital tv too, but over here in New Zealand we don't have cable we have a company called Sky. Its ok but it always cuts out due to rain fade (even when its sunny outside) and we still have to pay them!

gcmexico
Jul 8, 2008, 07:28 AM
So, today I was screwed once again by my cable company... but that isn't the point of this post... while waiting on hold for around 30min I began to dreaming of a world where I didn't owe the cable company $75 for a basic cable connection that was constantly dropping out.. and that's when I remembered seeing the eyetv which I started looking into seriously (looks like a great product) anyway I live in chicago where with a indoor antenna ($30) I can get free HD of most of the normal basic cable channels. So, that just leaves me with the odds and ends shows that I have a hankering for... and this is where iTunes is filling in the gaps.. their tv catalogue is getting closer to fulfilling my hopes and dreams.. however I must say that I am a sucker for those stupid shows... like bravo with their idiotic yet strangely addicting "flipping out" show... or my favorite show entourage, but that seems like only a matter of time. if only iTunes could make that final push and fill in the gaps I would be one happy cable free fellow! I would be more than content to give that money to itunes, rather than giving it to my arch enemy... comcast. Anyway I know that day is coming and that will be a great day when I can call comcast and tell them where they can stick their cable box. Anyway, just felt like getting this off my chest.. is there anyone else out there who shares my vision of the future? Have a good night all!
if you have a computer hooked up to your tv...u can catch some shows on the internet for free..I do that sometimes...I could get rid of cable right now, with Eyetv, Itunes, and Internet television...but my wife refuses...she's addicted to switching channels...I agree 100% cable will disappear eventually!!

Tilpots
Jul 8, 2008, 07:52 AM
Once they get live TV, like ESPN's sports, it's over for the cable companies. But realistically, when will that happen???

mtfield
Jul 8, 2008, 11:54 AM
Once they get live TV, like ESPN's sports, it's over for the cable companies. But realistically, when will that happen???

yea that's a good point, but I can see some type of live streaming in itunes... maybe like a podcast or something? Subscribe to your favorite team and you can watch as it downloads in real time... that would be slick... they are getting closer, like did u see that mlb app for the iphone at WWDC... showed play highlights in close to real time...

Tilpots
Jul 8, 2008, 02:50 PM
yea that's a good point, but I can see some type of live streaming in itunes... maybe like a podcast or something? Subscribe to your favorite team and you can watch as it downloads in real time... that would be slick... they are getting closer, like did u see that mlb app for the iphone at WWDC... showed play highlights in close to real time...

The MLB app looked pretty cool. If there's a will and a way... Even ESPN 360 is pretty close, but I really wouldn't know becasue it's unavailable in my area.:mad:

Hope the likes of Comcast and Time Warner have new business models ready for this cable-less future.:)

ChrisA
Jul 8, 2008, 03:13 PM
A world without cable? You can have that right now. Just call up and cancel the service, turn off the TV and be done with it. Very quickly you will learn not to care about TV, you will have $75 more to spend every month and you will gain back hours and hours of your time. This last part about time is the most impotent

Tilpots
Jul 8, 2008, 07:49 PM
This last part about time is the most impotent

Slip of the tongue? I like TV and think it's extremely useful.

Digital Skunk
Jul 8, 2008, 08:41 PM
Cable will of course disappear eventually. That's like saying any form of tech will disappear eventually, like vacuum tubes.

It will change and continue to adapt, it won't go anywhere anytime soon since millions of people still pay for it and still would rather get their content from a TV/digital signal than their computer. Not everyone is a nerd.

A world without cell phone contracts is more desirable IMHO.

Galley
Jul 8, 2008, 09:38 PM
I dropped my satellite TV service back in Jan. because I honestly wasn't watching it that much. You can watch pretty much any prime time show from the four major networks for free on their websites. Supplement that with HD podcasts, and you have a ton of entertainment without spending a dime. :)

Michael CM1
Jul 8, 2008, 10:16 PM
Simple: call Dish Network. Either satellite company is better than those cable bozos, but I like Dish a lot better after experiencing both. Just be careful of any commitments you get into for equipment. Oh yeah, if you want more basic stuff, Dish doesn't jack you with the lowest package at $50/month (no, I don't count that family crap that nobody wants to watch).

I don't think that iTunes has the future for TV shows yet. They don't have Complete My Album (well, season) for TV shows yet, which has made me buy a lot more singles from music albums. Their prices also aren't very competitive on a lot of things considering the major drawbacks to video from iTunes. You can't use it in a DVD player, so it lacks a LOT of compatibility. You figure the networks/studios would charge a good bit less for a season when they don't have to produce a physical package, but they're just as dumb as they are with movie sales.

Stampyhead
Jul 8, 2008, 11:33 PM
If I could get internet service without going through the cable company I'd drop my cable account in a second.

iShater
Jul 8, 2008, 11:37 PM
We use Dish Network for TV, and Comcast for Internet. Love both. If it was the other way around, I am sure I would be miserable. Anything not to use AT&T for internet.

alexlovesmacs
Jul 9, 2008, 02:53 AM
I used to have dish network and their service was crap! the picture on my HDTV was terrible with their service so i just have regular braodcast tv and its ok I don't watch that much tv anymore

mosx
Jul 9, 2008, 02:54 AM
I'd recommend DirecTV over Dish Network.

Had both. DirecTV walks all over Dish Network in both SD and HD picture quality. Better channel line-up too.

Though I have to admit, Dish Networks "All HD" package is a very good deal.

I live by LA but can't get any of the locals over the air. So I have to have cable or satellite. With Charter right now because of a package deal. DirecTV + dry loop DSL was going to be about $120 a month. For 1.5Mbps! Don't really watch TV much.

So with Charter right now its 10Mbps down + expanded basic w/HD is $85.

Holding out until Verizon gets FiOS over here. If they don't do it in the next 3 months like the technicians I've spoken to say, then I'll probably either go back to DirecTV (to come back for a year they're basically offering 4 free months and a heavily discounted rate) or get Dish Networks all HD + locals for about $40 a month.

heatmiser
Jul 9, 2008, 04:15 AM
A world without cable? You can have that right now. Just call up and cancel the service, turn off the TV and be done with it. Very quickly you will learn not to care about TV, you will have $75 more to spend every month and you will gain back hours and hours of your time. This last part about time is the most impotent

He speaks the truth. I didn't have a television in college (by choice), and I didn't miss it at all. Now I'm off to grad school, I'm not going to get a TV there either (though my apartment comes with cable). When I'm on my own some years from now, I'll do the same. Television is easily the most addictive socially-acceptable drug, followed by caffeine, cigarettes, and alcohol. Get rid of it--or at least your cable. You'll be happier.

Michael CM1
Jul 9, 2008, 07:02 AM
I'd recommend DirecTV over Dish Network.

Had both. DirecTV walks all over Dish Network in both SD and HD picture quality. Better channel line-up too.

Though I have to admit, Dish Networks "All HD" package is a very good deal.

I live by LA but can't get any of the locals over the air. So I have to have cable or satellite. With Charter right now because of a package deal. DirecTV + dry loop DSL was going to be about $120 a month. For 1.5Mbps! Don't really watch TV much.

So with Charter right now its 10Mbps down + expanded basic w/HD is $85.

Holding out until Verizon gets FiOS over here. If they don't do it in the next 3 months like the technicians I've spoken to say, then I'll probably either go back to DirecTV (to come back for a year they're basically offering 4 free months and a heavily discounted rate) or get Dish Networks all HD + locals for about $40 a month.

I found the opposite to be true, mainly because DirecTV kept on NOT GETTING A SIGNAL ON HD CHANNELS. Man, that was annoying. I also still have a bad taste in my mouth from how I came to use DirecTV, which isn't their fault. I mean I wouldn't have an account if not for some lame-o person that can't live up to his word and leave me stranded with a 2-year contract. ANYWAY...

I think both have ups and downs. I really didn't like that DTV's packages start so darn expensive. I really just need the locals, everything ESPN, everybody who shows the Braves (FSN South, SportSouth), Comedy Central, and CNN. Shoot, I probably don't even need CNN. But as you can tell, I don't need much of anything, and nobody really caters to that market. But I'm living with someone who has Dish, so...

I really feel sorry for you relying on cable for Internet. I have had nothing but bad experiences with cable companies in the past. I hope FiOS reaches you soon. I hadn't heard about it until recently, but now I'm stoked. I do wonder what real speed improvements there are because of antiquated connections all over the world. I mean if there's a 1.5Mbps connection anywhere between me and iTunes, I'm not gonna get music downloaded any faster.

applegoddess09
Jul 9, 2008, 07:05 AM
I don't really watch a lot of TV (I think the show content is getting worse) but I definitely could not just get rid of my TV for good. I have to watch my sports, ie. WCWS, WNBA, MLB etc. And there are the occasional shows I watch on TV or whenever I'm bored. But I don't have to worry about price; my school has the free cable. (I'm sure I'm charged somewhere in there though). :)

pdwyer
Jul 9, 2008, 09:00 AM
One site I came across that has a good amount of free show is http://www.hulu.com/. There are full episodes of shows like The Office and Rescue Me. It's kind of hit or miss on particular show you may be looking for, but it's free and the quality isn't too bad.

GSMiller
Jul 9, 2008, 09:56 AM
Two things are keeping me from switching from cable to satellite. Firstly I'm not sure if I can keep my cable broadband unless I have their television service. I would really hate to switch to DSL as Windstream's service is continuously going out in this area. Secondly, I'm not a fan of the deposits, installations fees, and contracts imposed by DirecTV and DishNetwork. And on top of that there's all the set top boxes that would be needed on all five TVs in my home and my Mom has no clue how to work them (I'm not much better). I wish my cable companies' TV service was as great as their broadband.

mosx
Jul 9, 2008, 07:49 PM
I found the opposite to be true, mainly because DirecTV kept on NOT GETTING A SIGNAL ON HD CHANNELS. Man, that was annoying. I also still have a bad taste in my mouth from how I came to use DirecTV, which isn't their fault. I mean I wouldn't have an account if not for some lame-o person that can't live up to his word and leave me stranded with a 2-year contract. ANYWAY...

Usually if they can't provide service then they have to let you out of the contract.

That is one bad thing about the satellite companies these days. In the past you could walk into Best Buy or Circuit City and $100 later walk out with the whole satellite system and installation setup.

Now a single receiver will cost that much.

I think both have ups and downs. I really didn't like that DTV's packages start so darn expensive. I really just need the locals, everything ESPN, everybody who shows the Braves (FSN South, SportSouth), Comedy Central, and CNN. Shoot, I probably don't even need CNN. But as you can tell, I don't need much of anything, and nobody really caters to that market. But I'm living with someone who has Dish, so...

The one thing I don't like about most of the packages on Dish is that they say "100 channels!" but a very large chunk of them are regional sports channels.

But I do agree with you. I just need the locals and ESPN. The rest of the shows I watch on Comedy Central and others can be purchased online.

It's cheaper to buy a handful of seasons of shows from iTunes or Unbox than to pay for cable or satellite for a year.

If it were just me thats exactly what I would do. Just buy the two shows I actually watch, get the locals over the air (if I could) and just pay for internet access. But the family member I share the house with also has to watch Law and Order (all of them) and CSI (all of them)

I really feel sorry for you relying on cable for Internet. I have had nothing but bad experiences with cable companies in the past. I hope FiOS reaches you soon. I hadn't heard about it until recently, but now I'm stoked.

Yeah me too. I had Charter in the past for internet service. It was terrible, so I actually took the speed hit and went back to Verizon for a couple of years. Had DirecTV + home phone + DSL. But with Verizon and DirecTV raising their rates across the board, it ended up being $150 a month.

Decided to get rid of the home phone service (home phone hadn't rang in literally 3 months up until the point it was canceled) and use the iPhones.

Without Verizon phone service, DirecTV would go up to $70 a month for the package we had and the DSL would be $50 a month.

A flier from Charter came in the mail. Called them up. $85 a month after taxes for 10Mbps, expanded basic w/HD for a year. Not bad. About $100 afterwards. I told them I was switching so they waived the installation fee and installed all new cable wiring too.

All new cable wiring which FiOS will benefit from ;) I just really hope Verizon gets that in soon. The CO is wired for it and I'm in range. A local technician told me it'd be here in 3-4 months.

Two things are keeping me from switching from cable to satellite. Firstly I'm not sure if I can keep my cable broadband unless I have their television service. I would really hate to switch to DSL as Windstream's service is continuously going out in this area. Secondly, I'm not a fan of the deposits, installations fees, and contracts imposed by DirecTV and DishNetwork. And on top of that there's all the set top boxes that would be needed on all five TVs in my home and my Mom has no clue how to work them (I'm not much better). I wish my cable companies' TV service was as great as their broadband.

You can always keep your cable internet without the TV service. Usually your price will just go up by about $10.

Just call them and ask them how much is internet service without TV.

One thing you could do is threaten to cancel all of your services. Tell them you want to go to DSL because its cheaper and to satellite because its cheaper. Retentions will usually give you some kind of deal to keep you on for a few more months.

DirecTV's boxes are very easy to use. The installers setup the universal remote controls and everything. You press on and the TV and box pop on. Channel up turns the channel up, volume up turns the volume up, etc.