Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmptyCalm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
earth
Hey

I just wanted to know if this seemed normal. It's about my memory (active wired) that appears on istat pro. Have a look:

Wired: 335 MB
Active: 375 MB
Inactive: 29 MB
Free: 1.26 GB

All I'm running is safari and so for the active part I think it's way too much...but then again I'm probably wrong. I dont know....I'm trying to remeber if it's always been like that but i forgot. Help:confused: Is this normal?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
seems normal. Safari's memory usage is a bit on the high side though. my memory usage is 435 MB active with Safari, iCal and iTunes open. you can always quit Safari if your system starts to slow down.

have a look here for a detailed briefing on memory in Mac OS X from Apple.

EmptyCalm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
earth
The computer is running fine. Maybe I just never paid attention. When I saw it I said that can't be right:eek: For some reason I always pictured it in the 200 range.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
True about Safari. When I checked the Processes readings in my iStat, Safari uses more RAM than my Opera. I have only one tab open in Safari while the Opera has 9 tabs and the transfer window is downloading a file. :confused:

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Unix systems tend to over allocate memory and leave it allocated. The principle is that memory is faster, so it almost always over allocates and leaves it there for the programs to dip in an out of. Its common to see all of your ram allocated with only a few programs running, but its a not bad thing - you WANT to use your ram. Ram is always faster then swap. If you see your system using a lot of swap then you really did run out of memory and may need re-evaluate your memory situation.

In contrast, Windows spends all of its time trying to keep memory free (un allocated for application use). And whats the point? Because the next time you run that program it will need to spend all that time reallocating the memory again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.