Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donmei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
Hi all.

I bought my mother a MB last year so she could get on the internet.

The machine is 16 months old and has been primarily used on AC power. She recently complained that the battery didnt work, so I had her bring the machine over to my house.

With the battery firmly in place, OSX does not see a battery, as indicated by the battery icon. If I push the power test button on the battery it shows dead.

I've reseated the battery and cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser and no joy.

Thoughts?

If I dont get anything here, I'm thinking of the two of us taking a run up to the local apple store so a genius can tell me if it is a problem with the machine or with the battery.

Don

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
It's quite possible the battery has died or reached a state where it can't be charged. A battery tester (take it to your local Radio Shack store and let them test it) should say whether it's good or not. After 16 months of no use, it may have gone south. Anyway, it's probably a good idea to let Apple look at it. They can also check the charging circuitry at the same time.

Regards.

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
Its possible that since the computer was always used on AC power that the charge regulator has fused/shorted/melted and so the battery charge circuit is, for want of a better word, dead.

This is especially common if you are using an 85watt MacBook Pro power block with the MacBook 65watt charge regulator system, however I doubt you're doing this since you say you bought the MacBook specifically.

Its also possible that the battery has 'gone dry' from lack of any activity whatsoever. Apple recommends cycling the battery at least once a month to enable it to keep charge. If this hasn't been done and as you say the MacBook has been kept on mains power, it is likely that this is what happened. There shouldn't be any damage to the computer, and all you need to do is buy a new battery from the Apple Store.

However, I would check the battery whilst you are still in the store just to make sure.

Good luck!

Dæmon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.