Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cordeiro

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Anyone can help with a solution for adding subtitles to a film or tv show downloaded in Itunes Store?
I can find easily subtitles sources (.srt) for English or any other languages but I don't know how to merge them to the mp4 or m4v file...

if Steve Jobs was deaf Itunes would have all movies with subtitles.

Thx

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
That's an excellent question, and I'm sorry I don't have a definitive answer. Isn't there a subtitle (caption) on/off option on the AppleTV? Have you tried that?
I have used an application called Submerge to add subtitles, but I doubt very much it would work with the DRM'd files from iTunes, but you could give it a try.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Unfortunately, :apple:TV still doesn't support subtitles. So even if you do manage to add subtitles to your MP4s, :apple:TV wont show them.

There is an app called Muxo that will import SRT files into your MP4s. This allows subtitles to be displayed in iTunes, Quicktime, and the iPhone.

Alternatively, there's a program called Submerge. It converts the subtitle text into a series of PNG images, and adds them to your MP4s. The good thing is that this works on everything, but the bad side is that it's a bit of a hack and you can't turn them off.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
Alternatively, there's a program called Submerge. It converts the subtitle text into a series of PNG images, and adds them to your MP4s. The good thing is that this works on everything, but the bad side is that it's a bit of a hack and you can't turn them off.

one thing to remember if you do go this way make sure u put the subtitles on a copy rather than the original. wouldnt want to buy the movie again just because you messed it up putting subtitles on it.:eek:

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
one thing to remember if you do go this way make sure u put the subtitles on a copy rather than the original. wouldnt want to buy the movie again just because you messed it up putting subtitles on it.:eek:
Actually, the subtitles created by Submerge are easily removed. If you have Quicktime Pro, you can just delete them, and your movie will be as it was before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.