PDA

View Full Version : Do you drink tea every day?

kabunaru
Jul 8, 2008, 04:15 PM
I do and I drink tea (without any sugar) at least five times a day. I drink mostly natural white tea and natural green tea. What about you?

Dagless
Jul 8, 2008, 04:20 PM
I used to drink tea when I was at college. White with 2-3 sugars, used to put a lot of milk in so I could drink it right away.

Now I can't stand the stuff. The smell, the taste, the culture around it. Yea. :o

Babooshka
Jul 8, 2008, 04:22 PM
Can't beat a good ol cuppa. White 2/3/4 sugars.

I love tea.

iShater
Jul 8, 2008, 04:23 PM
I do it in cycles. For a few months I will drink like up to 5 cups a day of different types, and for months I won't touch it.

Black tea with mint, with milk (carnation milk, desi style), green tea, and chamomile.

Oh, and unsweetened ice-t sometimes. Picked that up when I was in Texas :D

0 sugar for me.

David G.
Jul 8, 2008, 04:23 PM
I love green tea, but alas no.

JG271
Jul 8, 2008, 04:24 PM
Yep, at least 3 times. I can hardly wake up without a cup of tea!
Usually more like 6/7, and i don't have any sugar so its a relatively healthy addiction:p

iShater
Jul 8, 2008, 04:25 PM
I am sure our friends across the pond (e.g. UK) will be drinking way more tea than us. :D

tallyho
Jul 8, 2008, 04:26 PM
I think I could be addicted to tea... I have 7 or 8 cups a day I think.

calculus
Jul 8, 2008, 04:27 PM
English Breakfast for, er, Breakfast (milk, no sugar)

A couple of Roisbois during the day (no milk or sugar)

Maybe an Earl Grey in the evening (no milk or sugar)

iShater
Jul 8, 2008, 04:28 PM
English Breakfast for, er, Breakfast (milk, no sugar)

A couple of Roisbois during the day (no milk or sugar)

Maybe an Earl Grey in the evening (no milk or sugar)

Says a lot when I can't tell the difference between Earl Grey and English Breakfast. :eek: Except which one Cpt. Piccard drank! :D

r1ch4rd
Jul 8, 2008, 04:33 PM
I think I could be addicted to tea... I have 7 or 8 cups a day I think.

Same here, I really drink too much of the stuff at work.

Dalriada
Jul 8, 2008, 04:40 PM
I do and I drink tea at least five times a day. I drink mostly white tea and sometimes green and black tea. What about you?

When you say white tea, presume you mean the milky version. You should try drinking true white tea which is made from taking the young leaf tips only (white/silver coloured hence the name) Great stuff ! Otherwise I'm for green tea too but I do try to stay away from black as far as possible. Minimum 6 mugs a day keeps the doctors away.

http://plaza.fi/s/f/editor/images/Lipton%20White%20Tea.jpg

Dal

Mr Skills
Jul 8, 2008, 04:45 PM
Says a lot when I can't tell the difference between Earl Grey and English Breakfast. :eek: Except which one Cpt. Piccard drank! :D

Earl Gray's the one that tastes like washing up liquid.

Personally, I drink about six or seven large mugs of Jasmine tea a day. But I also like normal tea - that is to say bog standard builder's tea which everyone drinks in the UK but which seems impossible to get elsewhere...

Tea (normal tea, that is) is a funny drink. Everybody has the particular way they like it, and for many people the tiniest deviation results in something they want to spit out. I suspect that many people who don't like tea just haven't found 'their' way yet :p

BBC B 32k
Jul 8, 2008, 04:50 PM
i only drink tea when someone else makes it for me. :p

earl grey with very little milk. no biscuits.

kabunaru
Jul 8, 2008, 05:01 PM
I never put milk in my teas. I drink them naturally.

dmr727
Jul 8, 2008, 05:02 PM
What am I, some kind of f'in Limey? I drink coffee! :) :)

kabunaru
Jul 8, 2008, 05:10 PM
I have another question...
To me it seems like people from United States don't like to drink tea that much. While people from Britain can't get enough of it (they like tea too much).
Don't Americans realise that tea is actually very good for their health?

r1ch4rd
Jul 8, 2008, 05:10 PM
What am I, some kind of f'in Limey? I drink coffee! :) :)

I drink coffee as well. However, at work we only have instant coffee and so since I am a complete snob I only have coffee at home from my lovely espresso machine :)

Queso
Jul 8, 2008, 05:11 PM
Drinking a cup right now ta.

calculus
Jul 8, 2008, 05:11 PM
Drinking a cup right now ta.

Just off to make one.

tallyho
Jul 8, 2008, 05:17 PM
I drink coffee as well. However, at work we only have instant coffee and so since I am a complete snob I only have coffee at home from my lovely espresso machine :)
Yeah I'm a coffee snob too - I grind the beans with a hand grinder and make the coffee in one of these: Cafe Solo (http://www.evasolo.dk/products-cafesolo.html). Really good coffee!

Sideonecincy
Jul 8, 2008, 05:20 PM
I don't know anything about tea but, is there any tea that has caffeine in it? I drink coca~cola like its water and I want to stop but I still want the caffeine at times. I read tea was supposed to be one of the top ten most healthiest drinks for you.

kabunaru
Jul 8, 2008, 05:22 PM
I don't know anything about tea but, is there any tea that has caffeine in it? I drink coca~cola like its water and I want to stop but I still want the caffeine at times. I read tea was supposed to be one of the top ten most healthiest drinks for you.

Pretty much all teas have caffeine. Some don't like this one:

Triple Leaf Tea Relaxing:
http://www.tripleleaf-tea.com/relax.htm

I drink this tea from time to time.

d_and_n5000
Jul 8, 2008, 05:22 PM
To me it seems like people from United States don't like to drink tea that much. While people from Britain can't get enough of it (they like tea too much).

As far as I'm aware, it's a throwback to the Revolutionary days, when most Americans swore off tea because it was a British monopoly. They started drinking coffee instead, and it stuck.

I don't think it's so much a matter that we aren't all aware(although I'm sure a lot aren't), it's just that tea is one of those things that you acquire a taste for, like coffee, but many already have their coffee taste down. Why bother getting used to tea when we already have coffee?

Tea is naturally caffeinated, like coffee. Unless you pick up a variety that specifically says "caffeine free", I think it's safe to assume it does.

nick9191
Jul 8, 2008, 05:23 PM
Of course, I'm British. Love tea :)

IJ Reilly
Jul 8, 2008, 05:24 PM
One or two cups a day -- milk no sugar, thanks.

Usually black, occasionally green, and never herbal or any of that stuff with weird flavors added.

mariahlullaby
Jul 8, 2008, 05:28 PM
I drank tea just about every day, and then went to the UK for a semester, and now I do drink it every day :p

I love a strong English Breakfast tea with milk and sugar.

Anyone happen to know if there's a way to get P&G tips in the US? Kinda got addicted to the stuff. Should have brought some home.

OllyW
Jul 8, 2008, 05:33 PM

Earl Grey

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/61/1061-004-105C4EF9.jpg

English breakfast

http://www.londondailypicture.com/images/october_2007/english-breakfast-blackpudding-min.jpg

Seems pretty obvious to me :p

At least 3 mugs of tea a day for me. Bog standard Tetley or PG Tips with milk and 2 sugars.

Lau
Jul 8, 2008, 05:35 PM
Drinking an Earl Grey as we speak.

I drink more coffee than tea (black no sugar) but my tea falls into these categories:

1. Weak Earl Grey (black no sugar)
2. Really weak Earl Grey (black no sugar)
3. Something else, begrudgingly, if someone doesn't have Earl Grey (black, weak, no sugar)

redwarrior
Jul 8, 2008, 05:37 PM
3 - 4 cups of green tea everyday, sweetened with stevia

Jaffa Cake
Jul 8, 2008, 05:37 PM
Despite being Englandshireish, I can't stand the stuff. :o

bigandy
Jul 8, 2008, 05:42 PM
I do occasionally, but I far prefer a nice Irn Bru to pick me up. :D

One of my flatmates at uni was really bad for tea. Towards the end he had 80 (!) varieties in the kitchen. You could hardly move for the bloody stuff. :rolleyes:

Anyone happen to know if there's a way to get P&G tips in the US? Kinda got addicted to the stuff. Should have brought some home.

http://store.ukgourmet.us/pgtips2.html

;)

kabunaru
Jul 8, 2008, 05:44 PM
Towards the end he had 80 (!) varieties in the kitchen.

Oh, I can do that too. The more I drink tea, the more I am obsessed with it. :D

IJ Reilly
Jul 8, 2008, 05:47 PM
Seems pretty obvious to me :p

Earl Grey has more hair.

Gray-Wolf
Jul 8, 2008, 06:03 PM
In my youth, I drank Iced tea every day. As I got older, I started drinking hot tea, after that the herbals, and finally, green tea. I drink it only rarely these days. Earl Grey, is ok but not for everyday. Peach tea though, thats another thing. ;)

iMacZealot
Jul 8, 2008, 06:06 PM
I drink 2-4 cups a day. Mostly black, but occasionally green, and if I find it, oolong. I put in a tiny pinch of sugar. I also drink a ton of iced tea, but that's not real tea.

I can't stand the taste of coffee. I can drink a few sips of iced coffee, but it will never replace my tea.

I went to the Tea Museum in Hong Kong a few weeks ago. You must go! I came back with the coolest mug.

dmr727
Jul 8, 2008, 06:08 PM
In all seriousness, I like tea as well as coffee. But if I drink either, it'll be coffee in the morning and tea in the evening, or when I'm sick.

To me, there are few things better than waking up early to the smell of a pot of coffee brewing.

Gray-Wolf
Jul 8, 2008, 06:10 PM
As a sub-note, I have to stay with decaf teas now, bad for my BP. Anyone else prefer Decaf over regulars?

toolbox
Jul 8, 2008, 06:10 PM
I have one cup of tea in the morning every day. Coffee makes me feel funny

kabunaru
Jul 8, 2008, 06:28 PM
Anyone else prefer Decaf over regulars?

I drink 1 decaf green tea before I go to bed. I mostly prefer regulars though.

IJ Reilly
Jul 8, 2008, 06:29 PM
Coffee makes me feel funny

It makes me look funny.

iJohnHenry
Jul 8, 2008, 06:31 PM
Maybe once or twice a week, orange pekoe.

I'm a morning coffee drinker, and proud of it.

:)

pimentoLoaf
Jul 8, 2008, 08:36 PM
Twice a day: morning upon waking and evening a few hours before bed.

More if I'm at lunch where it's usually iced.

Mint at evening; varies otherwise.

3 - 4 cups of green tea everyday, sweetened with stevia

Stevia, alas, is banned in the US as a sweetener for no good reason. Rumor has it the corn-syrup lobby pressured the FDA to stop its sale.

kabunaru
Jul 8, 2008, 09:11 PM
I'm a morning coffee drinker, and proud of it.

:)

I drink tea any time I want to. I mostly drink tea after running. I exercise every day and keep my self in shape.

montanachad
Jul 8, 2008, 09:30 PM
https://secure.techxpress.net/guayaki.com/images/uploads/20060308234509_lrg.jpg

Yerba Mate at least twice a day. :D

yojitani
Jul 8, 2008, 09:37 PM
https://secure.techxpress.net/guayaki.com/images/uploads/20060308234509_lrg.jpg

Yerba Mate at least twice a day. :D

How is that stuff? I came across it in Nashville of all places but the store manager 'couldn't find the price' so refused to sell it to me:confused:.

I drink tea everyday - black tea (PG Tips usually, but also straight assam tea), Green Tea (homegrown from Japan), and Rooibos (organic). Since it's summer, I drink these all cold. I drink coffee too.. I don't see there being a fundamental opposition between the two.

kabunaru
Jul 8, 2008, 09:41 PM
drink coffee too..

I do not drink coffee. For some reason I cannot sleep after drinking coffee and I did not drink coffee before going to bed. It also makes me very hyper. ;)

mashny
Jul 8, 2008, 09:41 PM
I usually have about three cups a day -- usually Ceylon or Darjeeling, but occasionally English Breakfast or some type of Green Tea.

My wife drinks about twice as much tea as I do. She likes it black, I put a bit of sugar in it. As she put it, she was weaned on tea.

redwarrior
Jul 8, 2008, 10:05 PM

It makes me look funny.
It makes me act funny.

Stevia, alas, is banned in the US as a sweetener for no good reason. Rumor has it the corn-syrup lobby pressured the FDA to stop its sale.
I'm just happy I can get it. Do not get me started on the FDA; that's quite another thread!

kabunaru
Jul 8, 2008, 10:08 PM
It makes me act funny.

It makes me look funny.

It makes me think funny. :p

montanachad
Jul 8, 2008, 10:09 PM
How is that stuff? I came across it in Nashville of all places but the store manager 'couldn't find the price' so refused to sell it to me:confused:.

I drink tea everyday - black tea (PG Tips usually, but also straight assam tea), Green Tea (homegrown from Japan), and Rooibos (organic). Since it's summer, I drink these all cold. I drink coffee too.. I don't see there being a fundamental opposition between the two.

It's awesome! It has three different stimulants, twenty-four vitamins and minerals.

kabunaru
Jul 8, 2008, 10:33 PM
It's awesome! It has three different stimulants, twenty-four vitamins and minerals.

I drink white tea and green tea for these benefits:

http://www.whiteteaguide.com/whiteteahealthbenefits.htm

http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa011400a.htm

themadchemist
Jul 8, 2008, 10:56 PM
Do I look like a Tory? :eek::p

No, but seriously, I'm a black coffee guy, or I have been since med school started.

PlaceofDis
Jul 8, 2008, 11:08 PM
i love tea, i just don't drink enough of it, which is a shame because i should have it more often.

IJ Reilly
Jul 8, 2008, 11:53 PM

Yerba Mate is interesting stuff, I used to drink it quite often. The flavor is sort of earthy, not bad when you get used to it. It really needs to be strained with a very fine strainer or a coffee drip filter.

ktbubster
Jul 9, 2008, 12:02 AM
Tea is amazing.

Black, White, Green - you name it.

I drink it hot, with milk, without, sugar, without, cold/iced etc. I love trying new varieties and mixtures too.

I am actually in the process of starting to plan a tea - house for my area. I think the US is going healthier now a days and tea is a great way to do that. We have so many cafe's and coffee houses, we really need more that focus on tea here! I know in my area people are always ordering the tea varieties at the coffee house and are really excited when a new one appears.

It'll be a few years before I can actually make enough money for a start up (or get enough money and solid place in my life to take out a business loan for the venture), but once i have it, i'll have my research and business plan hammered out. :)

Tea is GREAT. Period :)

idyll
Jul 9, 2008, 12:05 AM
I don't know that I could live without Arizona Green Tea

IJ Reilly
Jul 9, 2008, 12:12 AM
I've been waiting for tea to catch on in the States for years. It never seems to happen, mainly I think because most of the tea Americans drink tastes awful, resulting from the fact that hardly anybody knows how to make it. In fact I am noticing in the last few years that good tea is actually becoming harder to find, especially loose. Most of the small shelf space alloted to tea is being taken over by those awful fruit-flavored teas and the "luxury" brands, which are in reality over-priced mediocre teas in fancy tins.

Frozonecold
Jul 9, 2008, 12:14 AM
I am a tea addict, whenever I am feeling sad a little H&S Earl Grey Supreme always does the trick.

siurpeeman
Jul 9, 2008, 12:15 AM
lately, i've been drinking a lot of iced tea (unsweetened), and the blacker the better. yum! :)

kabunaru
Jul 9, 2008, 08:04 AM
I've been waiting for tea to catch on in the States for years. It never seems to happen, mainly I think because most of the tea Americans drink tastes awful, resulting from the fact that hardly anybody knows how to make it. In fact I am noticing in the last few years that good tea is actually becoming harder to find, especially loose. Most of the small shelf space alloted to tea is being taken over by those awful fruit-flavored teas and the "luxury" brands, which are in reality over-priced mediocre teas in fancy tins.

I drink mostly Chinese and Japanese tea. Few American teas I have. ;)

IJ Reilly
Jul 9, 2008, 10:13 AM
I drink mostly Chinese and Japanese tea. Few American teas I have. ;)

Well, no tea is actually grown in the US. It all comes from China, India, Ceylon (Sri Lanka), and Africa.

jeremy h
Jul 9, 2008, 11:10 AM
Drink gallons of the stuff - nice and strong (stand your spoon up strength) with fresh milk. My recommendation is Twinings Everyday (the yellow box one) if you're in the UK.

Funnily enough though, if I'm in a cafe / train / hotel etc it's always coffee as you always seem to get UHT milk - which I can cope with in coffee, but don't like in tea.

yojitani
Jul 9, 2008, 11:46 AM
hardly anybody knows how to make it.

this is a major problem and the reason that I will not order tea in the US. Basically, I have not found a place that realizes that different teas need to be brewed at different temps. Black tea, for example, needs to be brewed in boiling water (sans milk or sugar) for about 3 -4 mins, unless you squeeze the bag:D, or it will taste like dirty sink water. Green Tea at a lower temp etc. ... so that poster who plans to start a tea house, take note!

Abstract
Jul 9, 2008, 12:03 PM
I went to the Tea Museum in Hong Kong a few weeks ago. You must go! I came back with the coolest mug.

Can we get a photo of the mug?

In all seriousness, I like tea as well as coffee. But if I drink either, it'll be coffee in the morning and tea in the evening, or when I'm sick.

I'm the same, except I need to drink a cappuccino either at 11 AM, or at 2 or 3 PM. It's an expensive habit, but if hot water dispensers were more prominent at my uni, I'd drink more tea than coffee.

Str8edgepunker
Jul 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
I try to drink some earl grey every morning and then after work, I love having some Cinnamon Apple Tea. Fortunately, Bigelow still makes it but only in bulk and not in stores. I just hope they don't phase it out completely. :(

pol0001
Jul 9, 2008, 12:21 PM
I drink lots of white tea and jasmine tea when I sit over my books for university. There is the small Asian store in a subway station here in Frankfurt. They import their tea from China.

I was in China last month. And there they have instand milk tea powder in every super market. Appears to be for them what instand cappuccino is for us. :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly
Jul 9, 2008, 12:30 PM
this is a major problem and the reason that I will not order tea in the US. Basically, I have not found a place that realizes that different teas need to be brewed at different temps. Black tea, for example, needs to be brewed in boiling water (sans milk or sugar) for about 3 -4 mins, unless you squeeze the bag:D, or it will taste like dirty sink water. Green Tea at a lower temp etc. ... so that poster who plans to start a tea house, take note!

I don't order tea in restaurants, even good ones. Boiling water and a pot (preferably ceramic) is all it takes, but you still get a cup of hot water with a bag on the side in most places. It doesn't really hurt to steep green tea in boiled water -- but this is never really an issue, since restaurants rarely give you anything much hotter than lukewarm.

Oh, and stop squeezing those tea bags. Filthy habit! :p

jalagl
Jul 9, 2008, 12:38 PM
I've had a cup of regular tea with my breakfast for as long as I can remember.
I also drink one or two cups of green tea during the day.

Neil321
Jul 9, 2008, 12:47 PM
I like tea and drink around 5 cups per day, hate coffee though

foobar909
Jul 9, 2008, 12:48 PM
I drink tea whenever I quit coffee. I've quit coffee about 34 kazillion times now, sometimes for a day, sometimes for a year.

solidgoldmini
Jul 9, 2008, 12:49 PM
I drink tea more than coffee, but only 1 a day, if that.

I do love Thai Iced Tea.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jul 9, 2008, 01:15 PM
I've been trying to substitute some of the coffee I'm drinking with tea.

Trying out a quite good Qing-Xiu tea at the moment:

Quite yummy, but I think it suffers a bit from the Western stevia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia) ban. They've had to remove stevia before exporting to Norway and I need a tea spoon of sugar or so in it (while I normally drink tea without anything in it, except maybe a drop or two of lemon).

Oh, and I also drink quite a lot of this iced green tea with lime:

I probably go through 3 or 4 litres of that each week... and when available it has almost replaced Coke and Coke Zero... :)

Pixellated
Jul 9, 2008, 01:27 PM
Jasmine tea- no milk or sugar, 5 times a day :p

Mr Skills
Jul 9, 2008, 03:31 PM
Jasmine tea- no milk or sugar, 5 times a day :p

I'm reading this while waiting for my big mug of Jasmine Tea to get to 'optimum temperature' (just cool enough to drink but still really really hot - it's a fine window!). Looooove it :)

Badandy
Jul 9, 2008, 04:18 PM
I'm going to England in a couple weeks. What kind of tea should I have (I don't drink tea at all)?

IJ Reilly
Jul 9, 2008, 04:24 PM
Just drink what they serve you! Most of the time it will some blend of black teas, or a basic cup like PG Tips or Typhoo.

Loge
Jul 9, 2008, 05:55 PM
The PG Tips and similar are just fine - the thing with tea is to drink it at exactly the temperature where it just seems to hit the spot - hot but not too hot, hard to describe really.

EricNau
Jul 9, 2008, 06:03 PM
Occasionally, but not anywhere close to everyday.

The problem being that I don't care much for iced tea, and the entire summer is too hot to drink hot tea. I'm also not a big fan of the fancy stuff: it always tastes too much like I'm drinking a bouquet of flowers. Maybe I just don't know how to buy the stuff. :o

kabunaru
Jul 10, 2008, 07:42 AM
I'm going to England in a couple weeks. What kind of tea should I have (I don't drink tea at all)?

Natural White Tea because it has the most anti-oxidants.

Edit: EricNau, I drink hot tea in the summer. The seasons don't matter for me. I just like my hot tea. I rarely drink ice tea.

leishan
Jul 10, 2008, 07:59 AM
I drink white and green tea every day for the health benefits. I drink Chai everyday just because I'm weird...:cool:

xboxer75010
Jul 10, 2008, 08:15 AM
I used to but any kind of tea actually dehydrates your body a small amount so I tried to drink more water and cut down on the tea some.

ucfgrad93
Jul 10, 2008, 09:10 AM
no. I only drink it occassionally. I don't drink coffee either.

Abstract
Jul 10, 2008, 09:22 AM
Drinking cold tea is a sin. :o

To me, there is no cold tea. It's always warm. I'll have iced tea, but I don't mentally associate iced tea with "real" tea. Iced tea is just another cold drink. It's not really tea. I treat Starbucks' candy coffees the same way.

MotleyPete
Jul 10, 2008, 09:26 AM
I'm an Englishman, so I might as well be taking my tea through an intravenous drip.

Propper tea with milk and sugar mind. None of your poncy stuff.

kabunaru
Jul 10, 2008, 09:55 AM
Another question...
Do the Aussies like to drink tea as much as the English? :D

NightFlight
Jul 21, 2008, 02:31 PM
I used to drink a lot of tea before I seriously cut back on the caffeine. PG Tips was my tea of choice...

jaded-mandarin
Jul 21, 2008, 02:35 PM
At least 3 mugs of tea a day for me. Bog standard Tetley or PG Tips with milk and 2 sugars.

Oh yes.

Also got a free sample of Yorkshire Tea from the cricket match at Headingley (Eng v SA) yesterday. Had a cup today and it hit the spot.

Nicolecat
Jul 21, 2008, 04:39 PM
I live in the Southern U.S.
...and absolutely have to have tea.
(Orange Pekoe...loaded with sugar...and chilled, no ice) :D

Most all restaurants (both fast-food and sit-down) have sweet/unsweet tea...but I find it unnerving when I travel to the northern states, and either have to sweeten the tea after it's been cold (grainy nasty-ness)...or have to settle for some carbonated beverage. :(

kabunaru
Sep 15, 2008, 05:20 PM
Recently, I started to drink these Egyptian Licorice and Yerba Mate teas a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/Yogi-Organic-Egyptian-Licorice-16-Count/dp/B000PDJSAK

http://www.yerbamatetea.com/

I drink at least three cups of tea every day and it is very healthy to do so.

timerollson
Sep 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
Yes, everyday. I drink some variation of hot or cold tea all the time. It's my favorite drink.

I prefer drinking hot white or green tea with organic honey. Sometimes I go on binges where I drink 4-5 cups of hot green tea a day lol.

Woder-Woman
Sep 15, 2008, 05:30 PM
Along with my mum i am a huge tea drinker, first thing in the morning is a must though. but i defiantly have way to much tea ( if thats possible) and i have milk and one sweetener (if available)

But i have never tried green or iced tea...am i missing out?

kabunaru
Sep 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
but i defiantly have way to much tea ( if thats possible) and i have milk and one sweetener (if available)

How many cups do you drink?

My record was eight cups of tea (without sugar, I do not drink tea with sugar) in one day.

it5five
Sep 15, 2008, 05:45 PM
I want to, but don't know where to start. What kind of tea is a good start that can easily be found in US grocery stores? A friend living in England sent me some PG tips and it was good.

Woder-Woman
Sep 15, 2008, 05:49 PM
How many cups do you drink?

My record was eight cups of tea (without sugar, I do not drink tea with sugar) in one day.

Properly about the same but i have never counted, i will tomorrow.

The best thing though is if you go round a friends house and you turn up just as their kettle has boiled...best timing ever :D

Melrose
Sep 15, 2008, 05:50 PM
@it5five: I can't recommend Tazo Awake enough - Okay, mebbe not for hard-and-fast, English tea types but it NEVER gets tannic on me (even after steeping for several minutes whilst I forget it's there) and it's full-bodied and rich.

http://adiamondinsunlight.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/tazo-awake.jpg

I've had Republic of Tea's White Tea and that's pretty good too (for white tea... which is reeaaal mild anyway)
http://www.republicoftea.com/images/products/viewlarger/p40060O.jpg

I've been drinking more tea lately rather than coffee. I only have coffee a few times a week now for some reason..

IJ Reilly
Sep 15, 2008, 05:57 PM
I want to, but don't know where to start. What kind of tea is a good start that can easily be found in US grocery stores? A friend living in England sent me some PG tips and it was good.

Almost nothing, sadly. The US version of Twinings is pretty rotten, and that's what you'll find in supermarkets mainly. PG Tips and Typhoo are fine and can be found at a lot of import shops.

Gray-Wolf
Sep 15, 2008, 05:59 PM
No matter the type, got to have it very sweet. Like 2 tbsp to a cup. I prefer Caffeine free Green tea, but I do like peach herbal teas too.

kabunaru
Sep 15, 2008, 06:11 PM
And I also drink Bedtime De-caffeinated Tea before going to sleep at bed. I realised it also helps me sleep better.

nakamuramori2
Sep 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
I do and I drink tea (without any sugar) at least five times a day. I drink mostly natural white tea and natural green tea. What about you?

i drink jasmine tea cuz they help u lose weight. try it if you need to get rid of some fat...

marbles
Sep 15, 2008, 07:10 PM
Yes , lot's
..first cup is either green, white or some mint , blended tea ( aka: builders tea) after breakfast with sugar & milk , then five or six herb 'teas' throughout the day & maybe a little chamomile in the evening before bed although recently I have slipped over to the dark side once or twice a day , namely some Java blue coffee a friend bought for me, it's nice but I prefer a nice cup of tea.

kabunaru
Sep 15, 2008, 07:40 PM
i drink jasmine tea cuz they help u lose weight. try it if you need to get rid of some fat...

I am fine in shape. I just like drinking tea for the health benefits tea has:
http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa011400a.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Benefits_of_Green_Tea

Not only that but Tea will help you live longer as well if you drink it every day.

anjinha
Sep 15, 2008, 08:36 PM
I really like green tea, jasmine tea and mint tea. I don't drink coffee at all.

kabunaru
Sep 15, 2008, 08:38 PM
I really like green tea, jasmine tea and mint tea. I don't drink coffee at all.

I have never tried Jasmine tea. To those people who drink it, what does it taste like in your own words?

mashny
Sep 15, 2008, 09:05 PM
I drink two or three cups of tea each day, either Ceylon, Darjeeling, or a Kenyan tea called "Kambaa." I add about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar (just enough to help bring out the taste of the tea, but not enough to make it sweet).

sushi
Sep 15, 2008, 09:13 PM
Most days a type of green tea.

Sometimes a dark tea.

IJ Reilly
Sep 15, 2008, 09:19 PM
Not only that but Tea will help you live longer as well if you drink it every day.

Can I have that in writing?

Notarized, please.

sushi
Sep 15, 2008, 09:22 PM

Notarized, please.
Live in an Asian country, and they know what food is good for what part of your body.

So when you look at some type of food that you might not recognize, and ask what is it? You are likely to get an explanation of what it is plus what part of your body the food is good for. Funny.

kabunaru
Sep 15, 2008, 09:24 PM
It is true. What is so hard to believe about that?
Why do the Japanese people live so long?
See.

As for articles:
http://www.earlytorise.com/2006/10/04/could-green-tea-help-you-live-longer.html

http://articles.directorym.net/Can_Drinking_Tea_Make_You_Live_Longer-a861325.html

I do not know what notarised means.

Gray-Wolf
Sep 16, 2008, 04:38 AM
Notarized, just means there was an authorized witness to the document, and signs and puts a seal on the paper verifying its legit.

marbles
Sep 16, 2008, 04:47 AM

Notarized, please.
Most teas have a ridiculously high amount of antioxidants in and some herb 'teas' are beneficial for common ailments , for instance mint tea is good for IBS .

Ninjas drink tea
:D

IJ Reilly
Sep 16, 2008, 10:24 AM
I already drink tea every day. I was hoping that I could get the guarantee that I'd live longer on that account in writing.

The most obvious reason why Japanese people live longer than Westerners is their much lower intake of saturated fats, which means less obesity, less coronary artery disease. Note also the frequent appearance of the word "can" and "may" in these articles about tea consumption and health. Nobody really knows whether tea consumption leads to a longer life. It's all a surmise at this point, based on one limited study.

Cheffy Dave
Sep 16, 2008, 10:38 AM
Iced green only,but only during the day. In the morning Starbucks Pikes Place Roast, freshly ground/brewed, with my morning edition of www.macrumors.com, Engadget, and CNN:D:D

Afini
Sep 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
I drink it daily, but I don't know anything about it, all I know is my roomate makes it every morning, and I steal some of whats left in the kettle after he's had his. :D

I'll ask him what kind it is, haha. Its brown, thats all I know. :rolleyes:

pagansoul
Sep 16, 2008, 12:06 PM
I'm an Earl Grey lover but I use International Delight /French Vanilla soy creamer because I don't do so well with milk. When I was a teenager I would down 5 cups during school but ended up ripping up my stomach and had to switch to decaf for a few years. Now I drink 2 or 3 cups a day. Only thing better is a cold Dr. Pepper. :p

iBlue
Sep 16, 2008, 12:11 PM
Of course! (PG Tips, strong with a spoonful of sugar and lots of milk) <slurp>

Much Ado
Sep 16, 2008, 12:24 PM
Tasty, naturally non-caffeinated 'Red Bush' tea for me.

Kick the habit, caffein junkies! :)

shadowmoses
Sep 16, 2008, 12:53 PM
I drink a few cups of green tea everyday plus maybe 1 cup of English Breakfast Tea with Milk and Honey.... Also love my coffee!!

ShadoW

kabunaru
Sep 16, 2008, 04:13 PM
English Breakfast Tea with Milk and Honey....

I never really add anything to my teas.
Does not adding anything to the tea negates/reduces tea's health benefits?

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 16, 2008, 04:20 PM

It's more to do with the culture than the benefits. People in the UK don't drink it for its benefits, they drink it because their parents drink it and their parents before them, etc.

As for me I don't drink tea. The only liquids I drink are water and the occasional lemonade. I used to like soda when I was younger, but I've found that I am too stimulant sensitive. I just pass out for hours after a half a can of soda and tea does just about the same; with or without sugar.

IJ Reilly
Sep 16, 2008, 04:38 PM

Assuming it has any, you mean?

The answer in any event would probably have to be no. Adding milk to black tea neutralizes the tannins, making it less acid and easier on the stomach (unless you happen to be lactose intolerant of course).

marbles
Sep 16, 2008, 04:39 PM
I'd add honey occasionally to any tea apart from blended , that has to be with a little milk & a sugar to make a warm sweet comforting brew .

So , no I wouldn't think adding a little honey is detrimental to the health properties of tea , maybe it would enhance it , honeys well known to have health benefits but milk & sugar I doubt would add much ...processed sugar is pretty bad really so maybe that would take away a few 'health points'

It's more to do with the culture than the benefits. People in the UK don't drink it for its benefits, they drink it because their parents drink it and their parents before them, etc.

As for me I don't drink tea. The only liquids I drink are water and the occasional lemonade. I used to like soda when I was younger, but I've found that I am too stimulant sensitive. I just pass out for hours after a half a can of soda and tea does just about the same; with or without sugar.

I disagree ,whilst true the Brits drink it for culture & the parents etc etc.... they do appreciate the benefits ...it is a warm comforting brew, although not for you by the sounds of it .....could you drink decaff green tea maybe ?, that's nice .

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 16, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'd add honey occasionally to any tea apart from blended that has to be with a little milk & a sugar makes a a warm sweet comforting brew .

So , no I wouldn't think adding a little honey is detrimental to the health properties of tea , maybe it would enhance it , honeys well known to have health benefits but milk & sugar I doubt would add much ...processed sugar is pretty bad really so maybe that would take away a few 'health points'

I disagree ,whilst true the Brits drink it for culture & the parents etc etc.... they do appreciate the benefits ...it is a warm comforting brew, although not for you by the sounds of it .....could you drink decaff green tea maybe ?, that's nice .

I could drink it, but I've gotten this far running on water. However I am going to have to stand by my statement before. I'm sure the British appreciate the benefits, tea has the same warm comforting effect on Americans, yet the British drink gallons (similar to liters) more of the stuff, which is why I think it's mostly a cultural thing.

marbles
Sep 16, 2008, 04:54 PM
I could drink it, but I've gotten this far running on water. However I am going to have to stand by my statement before. I'm sure the British appreciate the benefits, tea has the same warm comforting effect on Americans, yet the British drink gallons (similar to liters) more of the stuff, which is why I think it's mostly a cultural thing.

Ah you should try it then , no ? it is really nice ..waters good an all but still.
I just think the British tea thing is so ingrained that it is as natural as breathing to most and I'd say a fair percentage appreciate its benefits .........tea will be the first drink in the UK someone has when an issue arises

kabunaru
Sep 16, 2008, 05:15 PM
yet the British drink gallons (similar to liters) more of the stuff, which is why I think it's mostly a cultural thing.
And I drink gallons of tea as well. :D

Melrose
Sep 16, 2008, 05:24 PM
Iced green only,but only during the day. In the morning Starbucks Pikes Place Roast, freshly ground/brewed, with my morning edition of www.macrumors.com, Engadget, and CNN:D:D

Sounds like the perfect start to the day! (and remarkably similar to my own I might add...)

Has anyone tried this brand (http://www.queenmarytea.com)? Just ran across it the other day..

IJ Reilly
Sep 16, 2008, 05:34 PM
Has anyone tried this brand (http://www.queenmarytea.com)? Just ran across it the other day..

Very expensive. At that price, it better be top quality, which often the "fancy tin" brands are not. Very good tea can be purchased for $1.00 an ounce, excellent tea for $2.00 an ounce. For example,

http://www.portorico.com/store/

Scepticalscribe
Sep 16, 2008, 05:43 PM
In answer to the thread, no, I don't. Historically, Ireland has had much the same love affair with tea as the UK (for well known historical reasons) but in general, I don't share this. My preference is for coffee, and generally I have one or two mugs of excellent coffee daily; the first one in the morning is a must, anything else a bonus.

However, I drink tea (both real, i.e. black, and herbal) when I have a bad cold, or am otherwise unwell, or about to feel unwell. Strangely, I can't touch coffee then. Actually, I drink tea in huge amounts then, - when unwell - an admission which might give grist to the mill of the posters who claim tea is good for you. An earlier poster wrote about the need to have it very hot, not too hot, "hit the spot" hot, and I agree completely. Apart from herbal teas, which I drink as they are, occasionally adding organic honey, I drink tea with milk and no sugar.

Cheers

iJohnHenry
Sep 16, 2008, 05:53 PM
Concerning tea with dairy, here's something on that.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/60437.php

As for me, I think my gut has finally risen-up to rebel.

Too much coffee, for too long a time.

Switching to tea this week, just to see the result.

marbles
Sep 16, 2008, 06:08 PM

As for me, I think my gut has finally risen-up to rebel.

Too much coffee, for too long a time.

Switching to tea this week, just to see the result.

hmm interesting read .

.. mint tea will cure what ails ya ;) (said in a rather dodgy pirates accent)

:D

IJ Reilly
Sep 16, 2008, 06:30 PM

Interesting, but an extremely small study. Tannins are also an issue, which milk mitigates.

Gray-Wolf
Sep 16, 2008, 06:40 PM
The blueberry and cream one looks interesting, but have to wait for a decaf version of it.:(

kabunaru
Sep 16, 2008, 07:50 PM

And that is a reason why I do not add anything to my teas including sugar.

Tea without anything is the best. :D

IJ Reilly
Sep 16, 2008, 09:19 PM

According to who?

Oh, right -- you.

katrina99
Sep 17, 2008, 02:45 PM
white tea?
never seen that in UK.

Yes drinking tea is VERY british.
but some of you people, 5 to 8 times a day is a bit too much.
I mostly drink tea out of routine. But one coffee in the morning is essential.

Lately ive discovered that brown sugar tastes better in tea.

marbles
Sep 17, 2008, 03:13 PM
white tea?
never seen that in UK.

I get my white tea from a supermarket (one of the few things I go on for) the brand is Clipper , sold all over the EU http://www.clipper-teas.com/cgi-bin/ct.exe/custom?s=0&c=202&ddi=STOCK_LIST_ORDER&t1=shop&t2=t1&a=1&b=0&st=&h=0&u=0&z=0&aP=0
btw , thought I'd mention , tesco have a deal on with clipper teas ...decaff green tea & organic green tea 2 for 1.50

kabunaru
Sep 17, 2008, 04:00 PM
According to who?

Oh, right -- you.
Why so snotty? :rolleyes:

Why add something to the tea that will negate the benefits of tea? :rolleyes:

tyranna
Sep 17, 2008, 04:20 PM
like kabunaru, i don't use sweetener or milk in tea either. but if i'm having an iced tea then i like it with a wedge of lemon. i also prefer loose tea (mostly herbal types) over any pre-bagged variety. i will on occasion have some green tea, but like many others it seems, i always start my day with black coffee.

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 17, 2008, 05:11 PM

Because people don't drink it for the benefits! They drink it because it's a social thing to do and they like the taste. Why drink something you don't like or something that could be made better by adding a little honey or sugar?

kabunaru
Sep 17, 2008, 05:16 PM
Because people don't drink it for the benefits! They drink it because it's a social thing to do and they like the taste. Why drink something you don't like or something that could be made better by adding a little honey or sugar?

Ok, I see now. People should drink teas in whatever ways they like.
I just thought that IJ Reilly replied to me in an argumentative conceited attitude. :)

Melrose
Sep 17, 2008, 06:29 PM

Okay, now I'm being argumentative (in a rather facetious manner): I actually do drink green tea for the benefits.. I just don't drink it that often (once every week or less) :p

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 17, 2008, 06:32 PM
Okay, now I'm being argumentative (in a rather facetious manner): I actually do drink green tea for the benefits.. I just don't drink it that often (once every week or less) :p

Yeah, you are being argumentative. :p If you'd read any of my other posts you'd know that I know some people drink it for the benefits, most people drink it as it's part of their culture.

Melrose
Sep 17, 2008, 06:35 PM
If you knew me at all you'd know I never read previous posts, so touche (http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac_ads2/touche_480x376.mov) :p :D

I agree most people don't give a hoot about drinking it for the benefits. That's was prescribed medication and supplements are for I guess...

IJ Reilly
Sep 17, 2008, 06:44 PM

Why are you so sure you know what's best for everyone, Mr. Rolleyes? Please consider that before you call someone else conceited.

As I pointed out, the health benefits are far from proven, and the issue of tannin in tea is also a consideration. Milk neutralizes tannin, which is almost certainly a good thing.

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 17, 2008, 06:51 PM
Why are you so sure you know what's best for everyone, Mr. Rolleyes? Please consider that before you call someone else conceited.

As I pointed out, the health benefits are far from proven, and the issue of tannin in tea is also a consideration. Milk neutralizes tannin, which is almost certainly a good thing.

But milk also comes from a cow. Seriously you're practically breast feeding from a cow! Why do people drink that stuff!?

IJ Reilly
Sep 17, 2008, 06:53 PM
But milk also comes from a cow. Seriously you're practically breast feeding from a cow! Why do people drink that stuff!?

It's an Oedipal fixation, obviously.

kabunaru
Sep 17, 2008, 06:54 PM

I do drink Skimmed Milk before I go to bed. Milk helps sleep:
http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/816_milk_helps_sleep.htm

Also, Bedtime De-caffeinated Herbal Tea helps sleep as well.

katrina99
Sep 17, 2008, 06:54 PM
people in india and pakistan drink lots of tea, daily, all their lives.
and generally they live long lives in india. Or maybe their open source (sic) tea is healthier.

Tony Benn, british politician drank 10-15 cups of tea every day.

Tea has caffiene in it, so not the healthiest. Apart green tea and stuff.
Drinking tea is comforting.
I drink tea and have fan on, cause inside of my body begins to warm up, so it cools me down. :D

although coffee (caffiene) has no proven bad affects. In moderation i think caffiene and coffee are ok, and some studies have even noticed benefits of drinking coffee.

yes milk helps sleep.
I drink hot milk before bed, or ovalitine in it, or hot chocolate in hot milk.

But also, i heard normal milk, from cows, is not healthy.
Ive heard soya milk is healthier. But it dont taste the same.

Anyone tried drinking a pint of tea or coffee?
Only for HARD CORE people.
I started off drinking pint of black coffee. To see what all the fuss was about.
I stayed awake all night, shaking and hyper, it was fun.

I only started drinking coffee because david lynch spoke about it alot. Now im hooked.

bebetc
Sep 17, 2008, 07:11 PM
Not everyday but most of the time !!! :):)

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 17, 2008, 07:24 PM
I do drink Skimmed Milk before I go to bed. Milk helps sleep:
http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/816_milk_helps_sleep.htm

Also, Bedtime De-caffeinated Herbal Tea helps sleep as well.

It still makes me sick to think drinking it. Milk is meant to support infants of the species. There is no other animal that drinks milk after infancy, nor is there an animal that drinks the milk of other animals. I'm not making a great argument against milk, but it still weirds me out.

DJMastaWes
Sep 17, 2008, 07:40 PM
Not everyday, although I should start.
I used to drink green tea almost everyday last year, but now that I'm in college, I have a much different schedule. Once winter comes along, i'll probably start to drink more tea.

I drink natural white tea (my brother brought me a big bag from China) with no milk or sugar.

marbles
Sep 18, 2008, 03:20 AM
It's an Oedipal fixation, obviously.

oh that made me laugh , Freud has some very funny theories

It still makes me sick to think drinking it. Milk is meant to support infants of the species. There is no other animal that drinks milk after infancy, nor is there an animal that drinks the milk of other animals. I'm not making a great argument against milk, but it still weirds me out.

I'm with you on that one , although I do take goats milk on occasion ....I like goats :D

donga
Sep 18, 2008, 03:46 AM
usually every weekday i've got a cup of tea, then coffee on the weekends. i should really cut down on the caffeine though

a456
Sep 18, 2008, 03:53 AM
Here's news of a report by the Tea Council claiming tea is better for you than water: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5281046.stm

Of course, I would have really liked to have lived when beer was better for you than water - they must have been great times, you didn't need to make any excuses.

iJohnHenry
Sep 18, 2008, 08:57 AM
Of course, I would have really liked to have lived when beer was better for you than water - they must have been great times, you didn't need to make any excuses.

Move to Mexico, friend. ;)

kabunaru
Sep 18, 2008, 03:55 PM
Here's news of a report by the Tea Council claiming tea is better for you than water: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5281046.stm

And that is why I hardly drink water. I substitute tea for water as well.

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 18, 2008, 05:41 PM
And that is why I hardly drink water. I substitute tea for water as well.

I dunno if I'd trust a pro-tea statement from a group called the tea council. Obviously they're enthusiasts.

I also don't think it's wise to substitute anything for water, especially something so full of caffeine.

IJ Reilly
Sep 18, 2008, 06:25 PM
If it's of any interest, tea is the most popular beverage in the world, after water. And you can see why, especially in parts of the world where water from the tap or a well is not safe to drink without boiling it first.

sushi
Sep 18, 2008, 06:42 PM
When I lived in the US, I drank tea with sugar and milk at times.

Here in Japan, I mostly drink green tea with nothing added.

Adapted to the culture I guess. Green tea is wonderful.

Depends on the culture. Many in the world drink it for the benefits.

Ok, I see now. People should drink teas in whatever ways they like.
That's basically how it is.

Same with coffee.

nakamuramori2
Sep 18, 2008, 07:08 PM
i like tea but caffein gives me a stiff neck and headache..

stanfordtechman
Sep 18, 2008, 07:13 PM
i love milk tea ^^

kabunaru
Sep 18, 2008, 07:16 PM
Here in Japan, I mostly drink green tea with nothing added.

Adapted to the culture I guess. Green tea is wonderful.

How many cups a day do Japanese people actually drink do you think?
I think it is between 3-5.

In the summer I drank like 5-6 every day. Now, I drink 3-4 every day.

scotty96LSC
Sep 18, 2008, 07:24 PM
Give me a good cup of Joe instead of tea any day. Must be the military in me.

kabunaru
Sep 18, 2008, 07:25 PM
Give me a good cup of Joe instead of tea any day. Must be the military in me.

What is "Joe"? :confused:

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 18, 2008, 07:31 PM
What is "Joe"? :confused:

Caffey! (very similar to coffee) ;)

kabunaru
Sep 18, 2008, 07:37 PM
Caffey! (very similar to coffee) ;)

I do not like to drink coffee or caffey at all. ;)

Tea and milk are the only drinks I drink right now.

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 18, 2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l1F6BmKbO0

This should explain any questions anyone has in regards to tea.

marbles
Sep 19, 2008, 03:14 AM
Tea and milk are the only drinks I drink right now.
What , not even fruit blended up ? , .. what they call it , a smoothie ,....do you not drink those , you should try them they are brilliant

MacTraveller
Sep 19, 2008, 07:02 AM
Lipton. Bottled iced tea. Sweet. No lemon.

Expensive? Yes, sort of. But it's Lipton original iced tea... the recipe has existed since 1920s London. There is a reason it's been around for nearly 100 years.

MacTraveller
Sep 19, 2008, 07:05 AM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/EPH/8346~Haven-t-Had-My-Coffee-Yet-Posters.jpg

IJ Reilly
Sep 19, 2008, 10:29 AM
Lipton. Bottled iced tea. Sweet. No lemon.

Expensive? Yes, sort of. But it's Lipton original iced tea... the recipe has existed since 1920s London. There is a reason it's been around for nearly 100 years.

I'm sorry, but yuck phooey! This is approximately the most horrid excuse for tea on the face of the planet.

iMacZealot
Sep 19, 2008, 02:11 PM
^^^

I agree. That doesn't count as real tea.

c073186
Sep 19, 2008, 02:13 PM
Depends on the season. During the summer / hot months... not so much. During the fall / winter... just about every day.

By the way, my preference is red... white ... oolong ... green ... black. In that order. (or some mixture... Teavana is my source).

kabunaru
Sep 19, 2008, 04:13 PM
do you not drink those

Nope, not even those.