PDA

View Full Version : Looking Back and looking forward......

bert298
Jul 8, 2008, 05:42 PM
Just been reading a macrumours discussion from 01 just after the first ipod had been announced. The reactions looking back now are amazing, most people saying not a revolutionary device, get an archos and so on. Obviously back then we couldnt imagine what was coming in the future, i mean it was about $200 for a 128mb mp3 player. Considering this what do you think in five years time the iPod will represent and what kinda features do you think will be introduced. (This can also be about the iPhone as fairly similiar at the base).

This is Apple Fantasy at its best.........

rdowns
Jul 8, 2008, 05:45 PM
Ah, the infamous Thread 500 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500).

bert298
Jul 8, 2008, 05:47 PM
Indeed, very amusing read.

Michael CM1
Jul 8, 2008, 10:28 PM
I'm just on the first page, but a lot of it echos my sentiments about the device before I bought it. I mean there were cheaper MP3 players out there. Why pay more????

But then I started using iTunes. Oooh, that was easy. Maybe I'll try an iPod Shuffle? Wow, much easier than the other POS MP3 player I had. The main things that kept me from buying another MP3 player was cost, the software used to transfer songs (or "softwares"), and how clunky they were as far as usability. I mean it was pretty much a digital CD player.

I bought the 5th generation iPod w/video, which was MUCH more. Browsing through albums and playlists was very easy with the now-kinda-outdated click-wheel. But I think from an outsider, you didn't really get it until you experienced it.

It's also funny to see people go WOW over 5GB of storage. I keep complaining about only 8GB on my iPhone.

By the way, I wonder if the person who wrote this has a job as a speculator: "There are already two products similar to this on the market. The Nomad Jukebox and the Archos Jukebox which can come with a 20 gig HD. The iPod is obviously alot cooler and has firewire, but it is far from revolutionary. I for one am disappointed and think that apple is making a mistake by trying to get into this market."

upsguy27
Jul 10, 2008, 01:59 AM
Haha, I love reading that thread!

Here are some of the comments:

"I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional."

"All that hype for an MP3 player? Break-thru digital device? The Reality Distiortion Field™ is starting to warp Steve's mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off."

"Any way you spin this it is:
1. Not revolutionary. Big capacity mp3 players already exist. With Creative Labs' entrance into the firewire arena, future nomads will have similar specs and better prices.
2. A bad fit. This product is outside Apple's core competancy - computing devices. When many are calling for a pda, they release an MP3 player.
3. Without a future. This Christmas you will see mp3 players be commoditized. Meaning that the players from Korea will be way less expensive tha iPod. The real money is in DRM and distribution (ala Real Musicnet). If Apple were smart they would be focusing on high gross revenue from services rather than a playback device. "

"Here's to another bullet in the foot... "

And look how popular it is now!