PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store Columbia Mall, MD

Poeticashes
Jul 8, 2008, 09:41 PM
Anybody heading up there? I will!

PoeticJustice
Jul 9, 2008, 02:05 AM
Anybody heading up there? I will!

I wasn't sure if i was going to go there or one near me, i am trying to go to one where i will be one of the firsts to get it, cause i have to work on friday lol.

Poeticashes
Jul 9, 2008, 03:33 PM
I also have to go into work that day..I don't imagine there will be that much traffic at Columbia. They are only opening one door at 5:00 AM for us to line up outside the Apple Store...I plan on getting there at about 3:00 AM.

bryanl
Jul 10, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'm going to be there waiting at between 5:30 and 6:00

flavamactop
Jul 10, 2008, 04:18 PM
I also have to go into work that day..I don't imagine there will be that much traffic at Columbia. They are only opening one door at 5:00 AM for us to line up outside the Apple Store...I plan on getting there at about 3:00 AM.

What door are they opening at 5:00? I plan on getting to the Columbia Mall around 5:00.

Poeticashes
Jul 10, 2008, 05:09 PM
Alright, I believe it is on top of the Pines Garage between Lord and Taylor's and Macy's..I called the store to confirm.

steamed turtle
Jun 9, 2010, 05:06 PM
I'm debating between the ATT store on dobbin rd and the apple store. I'll be at one or the other around 2-3am. Two years ago when I got the 3G the ATT store only had 40 total devices, but it wasn't that crowded.

steamed turtle
Jun 11, 2010, 05:28 AM
Now I might be in Towson that week. Hmm.

plazmatyk
Jun 12, 2010, 05:30 PM
if you pre-register on the 15th, you're guaranteed an iPhone though, right? or should i still try to get there at 5am to make sure i get one?

Silverhawk202
Jun 19, 2010, 10:26 PM
I'm debating between a few apple stores. Columbia is on my list! Good to know about the door opening time slots. I called the apple store person and he said he didn't know which doors were going to be opened. He said if we camped out near hte mall. Mall security was make sure we would be shoo'd away!

I need to make sure i'm first in line to get one too. I'm down for sleeping in the parking lot in my car too haha. That'd be nicer than staying awake from 12am!:eek: Though I am willing to do it. Though I am concerned about the weather. If i'm in the car now issues. I'm sure.

steamed turtle
Jun 20, 2010, 12:34 AM
Okay I'm definitely going to the ATT store in dobbin now. I didn't pre-order so I'll have arriving around 8PM and checking in every 2 hours to see how many people are there.

I will do what it takes!

EspLtDan
Jun 20, 2010, 05:26 PM
guess ill be there at 4

sfishman
Jun 20, 2010, 09:20 PM
I'll be there five or earlier if I can muster up the strength! Any definitive answer on which door is opening at 5:00?
Also, I've tried calling about how many one person can buy. The newest answer I've gotten is 2 per person, and since I'm going with my dad, I'm hoping that means 4 as we're buying for the family... Anybody hear anything different?

See you Thursday!

Edit: When I first read the door opening post, thought it was a thought/unsure, now I see that's the what the Store said... Pines Garage between Lord and Taylor's and Macy's it is.

EspLtDan
Jun 20, 2010, 10:37 PM
u know if i can use my parents credit card to get it i am an authorized user on the account and am 18 and have an ID

cardjoseph
Jun 21, 2010, 12:18 PM
I was one of those people who, strangely enough and by coincidence, woke up at 4 am eastern time and reserved an iPhone 4 for myself (upgrading from a 3G) and for my wife (has an iPod touch but wants an iPhone now). I plan on getting there around 11 am/12 pm on launch day. Hopefully it won't take too long to pick up my reserved phones.

Did anybody else get an email from Apple just within the past 15 minutes confirming the reserved phone at the Apple Store? Nice to see the confirmation email again....can't wait until Thursday - which also is my youngest daughter's first birthday!

It will be a great day indeed!

sfishman
Jun 21, 2010, 12:31 PM
Did anybody else get an email from Apple just within the past 15 minutes confirming the reserved phone at the Apple Store? Nice to see the confirmation email again....can't wait until Thursday - which also is my youngest daughter's first birthday!

It will be a great day indeed!

I got the same email... now I'm stuck wondering if those in the "reserved" line will be able to buy additional iPhones, as new AT&T customers were only allowed to reserve one device. I'll be calling soon.

sfishman
Jun 21, 2010, 02:42 PM
OK - I finally got through to an employee via phone, and unfortunately I got the confused variety. She said that you can get 2 iPhones per person present(including minors/non-buyers, i.e. everyone in your group) and that she didn't know if any mall doors would be opening at all before 7am.
Finally, I asked her about the aforementioned email. Specifically I asked if we could buy more in addition to our reservation, as new ATT customers could only reserve one. She answered, confusedly, that you can't buy more than you reserved. I'm fairly certain she is wrong on this part, but can anyone confirm/deny?

dreamwave6
Jun 22, 2010, 05:44 PM
I'll be getting there before 5 AM.

sheckel
Jun 22, 2010, 06:41 PM
Do you think there will be a lot of people there for pre-orders early? I pre-ordered one for my wife and one for me. I was planing on getting there around 4am in hopes that I won't be there long. I have to get to work in the morning unfortunately. Any thoughts on the lines? Was anyone at Columbia for the 3Gs launch?

punchwalk
Jun 22, 2010, 06:44 PM
When iPhone 3G launched, Columbia Mall security started letting people line up outside the mall around 5:00. People who arrived much earlier were sent away. I haven't been able to confirm this to be the same for this go-round even though I called Mall Security and the Apple Store (both parties were unwilling or unable to confirm the actual time).

I was able to confirm that the line will be permitted to move inside the mall to the area in front of the Apple Store at 6:00.

I'm planning on arriving around 4:45.

EspLtDan
Jun 22, 2010, 07:08 PM
see yall there im the goofy looking asian with glasses

dreamwave6
Jun 22, 2010, 07:38 PM
I'm the goofy looking white guy without glasses...LOL!

I'm actually from California but I am in Hanover, MD this week on business. I chose the Columbia Apple Store because it is closest to my hotel. I have a beautiful 32 GB iPhone 4 pre-ordered there. On Thursday night, I fly to Riyadh and want to make sure I have my new toy before getting on my plane!

Andrew

onecoolazzgeek
Jun 23, 2010, 08:05 AM
I have one reserved but I have to get to work at 8 and don't want to deal with traffic and waiting after 4pm, so i will be there around 4:45 so i can get it done and over with. Also, I was here for the iPad opening and they let us in 2 hours ahead of time, here's hopin they do it now! Door location is correct, second floor parking garage entrance next to Apple store.
I'll be the goofy lookin black dude with an ipad.

CodeSpyder
Jun 23, 2010, 08:29 AM
I'll be there around 6 am or so. I've pre-ordered. I hope that the lines are as long at they were for the iPad about that time, but I think maybe they will be longer.

sfishman
Jun 23, 2010, 11:47 AM
@CodeSpyder
About how long were they for the iPad launch? That would be a good gauge for this time, just with a little bit more people.

EspLtDan
Jun 23, 2010, 01:13 PM
the pines garage is the one on the side of the macys right?

CodeSpyder
Jun 23, 2010, 01:14 PM
@CodeSpyder
About how long were they for the iPad launch? That would be a good gauge for this time, just with a little bit more people.

Last time, I got to the store about an hour before it opened for the iPad and I was number 7 in the pre-order line. Closer to opening, the line grew significantly and was maybe about one hundred or more strong. I anticipate that the line will be longer this time around.

sfishman
Jun 23, 2010, 02:17 PM
Last time, I got to the store about an hour before it opened for the iPad and I was number 7 in the pre-order line. Closer to opening, the line grew significantly and was maybe about one hundred or more strong. I anticipate that the line will be longer this time around.

As do I. Considering I'll be getting there at 5:00am, it shouldn't be a problem.
On another note, I didn't expect that the 100 people were there at opening in our area.

Thanks.

EspLtDan
Jun 24, 2010, 01:37 AM
Im the short asian with glassea and a red and black nin shirt

dreamwave6
Jun 24, 2010, 02:15 AM
I'll be wearing a gray Seaworld T-shirt and black shorts.

BTW, I just talked to a security guard at the mall. He said that they will start letting people park at the mall and line up outside the store at 4 AM.

See you there!

Andrew

CodeSpyder
Jun 24, 2010, 04:56 AM
I'm here near the end of a very long line. Wonder how many of this hoard are people who have pre-ordered.

EspLtDan
Jun 24, 2010, 05:09 AM
Thank god I pre-ordered just got inside

CodeSpyder
Jun 24, 2010, 05:10 AM
Wow! They just let we people who have pre-ordered into the mall and the line is ridiculously long, at minimum 100 people. That's a low guess.

EspLtDan
Jun 24, 2010, 05:16 AM
Where u at in line codespider? Txt me 2408995013

CodeSpyder
Jun 24, 2010, 05:24 AM
Where u at in line codespider? Txt me 2408995013

I'm in front of Martin+OSA.

CodeSpyder
Jun 24, 2010, 05:34 AM
Just saw an AT&T guy walking towards the store.

Key the music! (Darth Vader theme)

sfishman
Jun 24, 2010, 05:36 AM
I'm in. About 150th in line on the unreserved side.

EspLtDan
Jun 24, 2010, 08:15 AM
just got the phone it is f'n amazing !!!!

mjbirner
Jun 24, 2010, 08:43 AM
How's the pre-order line out there now? It's about 9:45.

EspLtDan
Jun 24, 2010, 08:56 AM
when i left there was still a lottttt of people good luck

sfishman
Jun 24, 2010, 12:47 PM
Success! Got my 32GB iPhone 4!

CodeSpyder
Jun 24, 2010, 01:27 PM
I got my 32GB iPhone 4 around 10:05 or so after waiting over 3 hours. Got the only bumper they had - black. Display looks amazing with no splotches. What a ... Phone?

myjay610
Jun 24, 2010, 04:56 PM
Anyone still around the Columbia, MD mall for the release? What's it like?

MDSkiBum
Jun 24, 2010, 06:46 PM
They were going really slow when I finally made it out a little over an hour ago (they said at peak they could handle about 40/hr). Total time to get through the line was about 7.5 hours. This was with a reservation. The line was about as long when I left as it was at 10:30am when I got there.

cotasm
Jun 24, 2010, 08:03 PM
My comment to a FB friend (I initially arrived @ 4:00 AM):

That store treated the non-pre-order line like red-headed step-kids. They must have had somewhere between ZERO and ONE employees processing orders for our line. I would have stayed if I was guaranteed what I wanted -- instead, they counted down the line 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and got to me @ 95 and then stopped at 103 and told everyone after that that there was no guarantee anyone after 103 would get one at all; then they told those of us at the end of the "guarantee" that they couldn't guarantee the capacity we wanted (and I KNEW they'd run out of 32's first -- shades of two years ago coming back, and I'm not settling). I said, "WAIT! I need two [one for my wife also], did you bother to ask people that?" and I got a dumbfounded look. At that point he looked at me as said, "then you're 95 & 96" and redrew the cut-off line. I then found like 20 people in front of me getting two. At that point, they changed their story for the back group of us that there was no guarantee at all. Then, DEPENDING on which Apple employee you spoke with as they walked the line, they'd give us a differing (always non-specific) answers on things like: how many they had for us, which kind they had more of, why our line was getting screwed, how many each person could buy (they were letting pre-order people buy an extra that wasn't pre-ordered!), did they account for people buying multiples (one said "we assumed two for everyone" and another said, "we only counted one per person"). It was like a monkey ********* a football with those guys, and I was DONE. Two years after the colossal ******-up from the 3G wait I partook in, I expected ORGANIZATION... I said, "why didn't you guys come around with your damn iPads and ask us "how many & which one" and then hand us tickets and tell the rest to go away so you aren't wasting anyone's time? The answer: "I dunno." Well, thanks for thinking so much of everyone else's time that you needed to keep them in a perpetual state of guessing when you work in a store full of computers and all you need to do is some MATH! <rant />

sfishman
Jun 25, 2010, 04:42 PM
My comment to a FB friend (I initially arrived @ 4:00 AM):

That store treated the non-pre-order line like red-headed step-kids. They must have had somewhere between ZERO and ONE employees processing orders for our line. I would have stayed if I was guaranteed what I wanted -- instead, they counted down the line 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and got to me @ 95 and then stopped at 103 and told everyone after that that there was no guarantee anyone after 103 would get one at all; then they told those of us at the end of the "guarantee" that they couldn't guarantee the capacity we wanted (and I KNEW they'd run out of 32's first -- shades of two years ago coming back, and I'm not settling). I said, "WAIT! I need two [one for my wife also], did you bother to ask people that?" and I got a dumbfounded look. At that point he looked at me as said, "then you're 95 & 96" and redrew the cut-off line. I then found like 20 people in front of me getting two. At that point, they changed their story for the back group of us that there was no guarantee at all. Then, DEPENDING on which Apple employee you spoke with as they walked the line, they'd give us a differing (always non-specific) answers on things like: how many they had for us, which kind they had more of, why our line was getting screwed, how many each person could buy (they were letting pre-order people buy an extra that wasn't pre-ordered!), did they account for people buying multiples (one said "we assumed two for everyone" and another said, "we only counted one per person"). It was like a monkey ********* a football with those guys, and I was DONE. Two years after the colossal ******-up from the 3G wait I partook in, I expected ORGANIZATION... I said, "why didn't you guys come around with your damn iPads and ask us "how many & which one" and then hand us tickets and tell the rest to go away so you aren't wasting anyone's time? The answer: "I dunno." Well, thanks for thinking so much of everyone else's time that you needed to keep them in a perpetual state of guessing when you work in a store full of computers and all you need to do is some MATH! <rant />

FWIW, I know that the manager of that store has only been there for 30 days. I don't know if he had prior experience at another Apple Store, I just know he's new because I know the prior manager (he left 30 days ago).

sfishman
Jun 25, 2010, 08:27 PM
Super sweet deal alert!
If you call the store, they can put you on a reservation list. It's still two per person, but you can put your wife, etc. on the list also. They'll email you when your unit is in stock.

WolfMetalFab
Jun 25, 2010, 11:26 PM
I'm in. About 150th in line on the unreserved side.

Success! Got my 32GB iPhone 4!

I have to question this, how did you get the phone by 12:47pm when you started out in the parking garage line at around spot 150? I started out around 60th in the line, after we were moved in I ended up being 90th as per the 7am apple store count and i didn't get my phone in hand until 7:25pm! Yeah thats right non reserved line spot number 90 took 12 hours and 25 mins to get his phone (from opening time) total wait time for me was around 15 hours and 45 mins... So it only took the store 12 hours to get to less then 90 customers out of the non- reserved line, on the other hand I am pretty sure the store was moving close to 100 reserved line customers per hour. Not 40 per hour like someone else said (40x14= 560 total units sold? I don't think so)

IMO the apple store in columbia totally dropped the ball on the non reserved customers.

~Wolf

PS: Guess the guy that was a few spots behind me was right about non reserved people in the parking garage line cutting to the front by going in to mall wiht the reserved line people.

sfishman
Jun 26, 2010, 08:26 AM
Here's where my strategy came into play, not cheating of other people whatsoever. I was 150th in the unreserved line IN THE MALL. Around 8:00, I was told I was beyond the point of no return by 20 people. I stuck it out for another hour, hoping the line would start moving. At 9:00, I gave up and joined my dad, we had split up at the beginning, one in reserved and one in in. This is because we only had one reservation,and ideally wanted 4 for the whole family.
The night before, we were told by an employee that those in the reserved line could only buy the amount they reserved, so my dad was going to join me once he got the one phone. That way, we could get 4(3 in the unreserved because there were two of us).
I ended up joining him in the reserved line and luckily they let us buy 2.

I totally agree that they handled the unreserved line terribly, and like I said before, that manager was only 1 month into the job.

Tee1970
Jun 26, 2010, 01:28 PM
Any word on how busy it is this weekend and if people could pick up phones without reservations?

sfishman
Jun 26, 2010, 01:30 PM
They're all gone for now. Call to find out if they've gotten the next shipment. They're blind, so they don't know when they'll have them until the package arrives.

WolfMetalFab
Jun 27, 2010, 02:37 AM
Here's where my strategy came into play, not cheating of other people whatsoever. I was 150th in the unreserved line IN THE MALL. Around 8:00, I was told I was beyond the point of no return by 20 people. I stuck it out for another hour, hoping the line would start moving. At 9:00, I gave up and joined my dad, we had split up at the beginning, one in reserved and one in in. This is because we only had one reservation,and ideally wanted 4 for the whole family.
The night before, we were told by an employee that those in the reserved line could only buy the amount they reserved, so my dad was going to join me once he got the one phone. That way, we could get 4(3 in the unreserved because there were two of us).
I ended up joining him in the reserved line and luckily they let us buy 2.

I totally agree that they handled the unreserved line terribly, and like I said before, that manager was only 1 month into the job.

Ahh, well that makes sense, you don't happen to know a kid that was there thurs that was in a green shirt w/ a backpack on that was hanging around the non-reserverd line? If so tell him attempting to cut in to a line 5-6 hours in is not a good idea :D

All in all, the wait was long, unreserved handling sucked, but great people in the line around me helped the time pass by. Really after 15.5 hours I left there in a good mood (minus being very tired due to no sleep and working 12+ hours the day before). When I upgrade from the 4g... PREORDER lol

Tee1970
Jun 28, 2010, 11:44 PM
Couldn't get anyone at the store to answer the phone to check availability, so went in person today (Monday evening). The main greeter person said they were sold out of all models and had an ipad and was taking reservations for in-store pickup with a minute or less signup process. Wish this signup process was available via their website or phone! Not sure when the next shipment is, sounds like they are getting them on-going without notice.