Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has posted a PowerMac G5 firmware update (5.1.4):

This firmware update provides changes for initializing and running your Power Mac G5. It provides some performance improvements for some PCI-X configurations, patches a security hole and improves fan behavior in Open Firmware.

The update appears in Mac OS X's software update for PowerMac G5 owners. This update was previously anticipated by ThinkSecret.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Ooh... nice. Actually, it doesn't sound like anything I've had problems with, so maybe it won't make any difference to me. I'll just wait till some other people install it to make sure nothing disasterous happens.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Any update is good news I guess despite the fact I don't even have a G5. :D

SpY2K

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
from AtuGuy 12-15-03 02:18PM via VersionTracker:

According to our independent analysis, the fan now spins at a higher rpm, but uses less electricity and kicks on less frequently. It also runs more quietly and with lower torque. Furthermore, from time to time it now automatically spins backwards for 30 secs at a time, thereby reducing the accumulation of dust on the fan blades, and preventing dead air hot zones within the cpu tower.
Does that concur with the rest of you? I dont have my G5 yet, but found it quite interesting that the fan actually backspins... :cool:

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by StealthRider
Um, bad news for the Big Mac cluster.
Wow. You have any idea how long it'll take to firmware flash/update 1100 G5s?

I thought they could 'netboot' (or whatever the equivalent is) the entire cluster all at once?

Or cascade it from one comp to all?

Well, I suppose this would be easier under OS X.....and they're running some Linux flavor, right?

ddbean

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2003
Thousand Oaks, CA
the fan?

from AtuGuy 12-15-03 02:18PM via VersionTracker:

quote:According to our independent analysis, the fan now spins at a higher rpm, but uses less electricity and kicks on less frequently. It also runs more quietly and with lower torque. Furthermore, from time to time it now automatically spins backwards for 30 secs at a time, thereby reducing the accumulation of dust on the fan blades, and preventing dead air hot zones within the cpu tower.

The only problem I have with all this is why is this post about "a" fan, shouldn't it be "the fanS"? I mean there are 9 of them in a dual config. Was this a real test inside the case, or a stand-alone on a test bench?

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
According to the documentation that accompanies the update the fan changes are only in Open Firmware, so I don't know how relavent it is to most users. Saying that, if it does give the improvements claimed above, I'm sure Virginia Tech will want to update to reduce noise/AC running costs.

What interests me is this security hole?

AppleMatt

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Well, no problems here, but I really had huge hopes for a fix on the chirping noise... it's still here... damn :(
What chirping noise?

could we have a sample :)

drewman

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by jouster
I thought they could 'netboot' (or whatever the equivalent is) the entire cluster all at once?

Or cascade it from one comp to all?

Well, I suppose this would be easier under OS X.....and they're running some Linux flavor, right?

No, they were running straight 10.2.8 and by now are supposed to be running Panther.

drewman

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
This firmware I believe is not needed for the 1.8 G5 DP machines, they already have this.

mammal

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Norway, Oslo
Well, no problems here, but I really had huge hopes for a fix on the chirping noise... it's still here... damn :(

I'm crunching RC5-72 almost all the time, eliminates any chirps:)

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by mammal
I'm crunching RC5-72 almost all the time, eliminates any chirps:)

Same here! When I got my Dual G5 and I noticed that I had the chirping I almost went nuts with it. But as soon as i started folding on it, the chirping went bye bye! I've been advising almost everybody I know with the chirping to run folding@home, cause it eliminates the chirping as soon as you start the application. Its really amazing! :) But, I still dont think that this is a good solution for this problem, cause I want a PSU to be completly quiet, without any hacks like the F@H one.

Booga

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2002

There are four common noises identified by MacFixIt.com in the G5. There are two described as "chirping"... one can be eliminated by setting the Energy Saver control panel to "Automatic" instead of the fastest setting. The other can be eliminated by installing the Development CHUD tools, going to the processor Control Panel, and turning off "Nap".

jcook793

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Worked fine on my Dual 2GHz w/9800 card. But yeah, I also had hoped the chirping noise would go away. I use the energy saver/CHUD fixes but still.

The problem is this case is so damn cool so I want it on my desk, but then it's like 4 feet from my head and I'm not a big fan of the chirping noise. I guess I'll just have to pacify myself by playing Unreal Tournament 2003 with the settings cranked all the way up again.

:D

Doga

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2003
Near Montréal, Canada
Doesn't The Firmware Update Blurb Mean...

The blurb accompanying the G5 Firmware Update says, at the end:

"...and improves fan behavior in Open Firmware."

Doesn't this mean that you shouldn't see any difference in the operation of your G5 fans unless you boot your machine into Open Firmware?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.