PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 Firmware Update (5.1.4)

MacRumors
Dec 15, 2003, 03:37 PM
Apple has posted a PowerMac G5 firmware update (5.1.4):

This firmware update provides changes for initializing and running your Power Mac G5. It provides some performance improvements for some PCI-X configurations, patches a security hole and improves fan behavior in Open Firmware.

The update appears in Mac OS X's software update for PowerMac G5 owners. This update was previously anticipated (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031128165536.shtml) by ThinkSecret.

gandalf55
Dec 15, 2003, 03:40 PM
WoooOOOoo HoooOOoOOOoo

Makosuke
Dec 15, 2003, 03:44 PM
Ooh... nice. Actually, it doesn't sound like anything I've had problems with, so maybe it won't make any difference to me. I'll just wait till some other people install it to make sure nothing disasterous happens.

Gymnut
Dec 15, 2003, 03:49 PM
Any update is good news I guess despite the fact I don't even have a G5. :D

StealthRider
Dec 15, 2003, 04:32 PM
Um, bad news for the Big Mac cluster.
Wow. You have any idea how long it'll take to firmware flash/update 1100 G5s?

ddbean
Dec 15, 2003, 04:40 PM
OK, I'm waiting to hear how this goes on a Dual 2 Ghz with 9800 card before I try it.

SpY2K
Dec 15, 2003, 04:41 PM
from AtuGuy 12-15-03 02:18PM via VersionTracker:

According to our independent analysis, the fan now spins at a higher rpm, but uses less electricity and kicks on less frequently. It also runs more quietly and with lower torque. Furthermore, from time to time it now automatically spins backwards for 30 secs at a time, thereby reducing the accumulation of dust on the fan blades, and preventing dead air hot zones within the cpu tower.
Does that concur with the rest of you? I dont have my G5 yet, but found it quite interesting that the fan actually backspins... :cool:

robotrenegade
Dec 15, 2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by ddbean
OK, I'm waiting to hear how this goes on a Dual 2 Ghz with 9800 card before I try it.

I have Dual with 9800 card and everything seems ok, so far.

jouster
Dec 15, 2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by StealthRider

I thought they could 'netboot' (or whatever the equivalent is) the entire cluster all at once?

Or cascade it from one comp to all?

Well, I suppose this would be easier under OS X.....and they're running some Linux flavor, right?

ddbean
Dec 15, 2003, 04:50 PM

quote:According to our independent analysis, the fan now spins at a higher rpm, but uses less electricity and kicks on less frequently. It also runs more quietly and with lower torque. Furthermore, from time to time it now automatically spins backwards for 30 secs at a time, thereby reducing the accumulation of dust on the fan blades, and preventing dead air hot zones within the cpu tower.

The only problem I have with all this is why is this post about "a" fan, shouldn't it be "the fanS"? I mean there are 9 of them in a dual config. Was this a real test inside the case, or a stand-alone on a test bench?

Tiauguinho
Dec 15, 2003, 04:52 PM
Well, no problems here, but I really had huge hopes for a fix on the chirping noise... it's still here... damn :(

AppleMatt
Dec 15, 2003, 05:40 PM
According to the documentation that accompanies the update the fan changes are only in Open Firmware, so I don't know how relavent it is to most users. Saying that, if it does give the improvements claimed above, I'm sure Virginia Tech will want to update to reduce noise/AC running costs.

What interests me is this security hole?

AppleMatt

BillClinton
Dec 15, 2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Well, no problems here, but I really had huge hopes for a fix on the chirping noise... it's still here... damn :(

Is your current Firmware 5.1.4fo?

dho
Dec 15, 2003, 06:04 PM
What chirping noise?

could we have a sample :)

Sun Baked
Dec 15, 2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by dho
What chirping noise?

could we have a sample :) They got a sample of the power supply's noise, but I don't remember somebody capturing the PS chirps, or the 9800 cards noise.

If it still works...
Power Supply Noise.m4a (http://prairiefiredesign.com/OBN.m4a)

drewman
Dec 15, 2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by jouster
I thought they could 'netboot' (or whatever the equivalent is) the entire cluster all at once?

Or cascade it from one comp to all?

Well, I suppose this would be easier under OS X.....and they're running some Linux flavor, right?

No, they were running straight 10.2.8 and by now are supposed to be running Panther.

drewman

Tiauguinho
Dec 15, 2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
They got a sample of the power supply's noise, but I don't remember somebody capturing the PS chirps, or the 9800 cards noise.

If it still works...
Power Supply Noise.m4a (http://prairiefiredesign.com/OBN.m4a)

Its not that one, its even worse (http://www.asamnet.de/~altendom/extmix/jpgarcia_psu_noise.mov) There is a huge discussion on the Apple site about this, you can check it here (http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@10.3tpOaUtqoGr.50@.599a487d) . I can really tell you that its extremely annoying.

Photorun
Dec 15, 2003, 06:59 PM
This firmware I believe is not needed for the 1.8 G5 DP machines, they already have this.

mammal
Dec 15, 2003, 07:04 PM

I'm crunching RC5-72 almost all the time, eliminates any chirps:-)

Tiauguinho
Dec 15, 2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by mammal
I'm crunching RC5-72 almost all the time, eliminates any chirps:-)

Same here! When I got my Dual G5 and I noticed that I had the chirping I almost went nuts with it. But as soon as i started folding on it, the chirping went bye bye! I've been advising (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46063) almost everybody I know with the chirping to run folding@home, cause it eliminates the chirping as soon as you start the application. Its really amazing! :) But, I still dont think that this is a good solution for this problem, cause I want a PSU to be completly quiet, without any hacks like the F@H one.

Booga
Dec 15, 2003, 07:53 PM

There are four common noises identified by MacFixIt.com in the G5. There are two described as "chirping"... one can be eliminated by setting the Energy Saver control panel to "Automatic" instead of the fastest setting. The other can be eliminated by installing the Development CHUD tools, going to the processor Control Panel, and turning off "Nap".

From Win to Mac
Dec 15, 2003, 08:12 PM
Its not that one, its even worse (http://www.asamnet.de/~altendom/extmix/jpgarcia_psu_noise.mov) There is a huge discussion on the Apple site about this, you can check it here (http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@10.3tpOaUtqoGr.50@.599a487d) . I can really tell you that its extremely annoying. OMG that's so agravating, i would not be able to stand in a room with that kind of noise !

jcook793
Dec 15, 2003, 08:14 PM
Worked fine on my Dual 2GHz w/9800 card. But yeah, I also had hoped the chirping noise would go away. I use the energy saver/CHUD fixes but still.

The problem is this case is so damn cool so I want it on my desk, but then it's like 4 feet from my head and I'm not a big fan of the chirping noise. I guess I'll just have to pacify myself by playing Unreal Tournament 2003 with the settings cranked all the way up again.

:D

Chris Marks
Dec 15, 2003, 08:31 PM
Worked just fine on a Dual 2 w/ 9600.

The fans are much quieter, and they don't "flare up" to a high speed for just a few seconds anymore.

Doga
Dec 15, 2003, 09:00 PM
The blurb accompanying the G5 Firmware Update says, at the end:

"...and improves fan behavior in Open Firmware."

Doesn't this mean that you shouldn't see any difference in the operation of your G5 fans unless you boot your machine into Open Firmware?

WM.
Dec 16, 2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Doga
The blurb accompanying the G5 Firmware Update says, at the end:

"...and improves fan behavior in Open Firmware."

Doesn't this mean that you shouldn't see any difference in the operation of your G5 fans unless you boot your machine into Open Firmware?
Nah, I don't think so. I think they just mean that they made improvements in OF as opposed to in the OS. So if you somehow manage to boot some flavor of Linux on the G5 (I don't think that's possible yet), you'll see these same improvements if that OS provides proper fan support.

It does seem weird that they would word it that way, I agree. Maybe the improvements are more noticeable when you're booted into OF (was fan behavior when booted into OF weird prior to this update?), but you'll still see some improvement no matter what?

Either way, I don't think we should be concerned about that phrase.

WM

Quobobo
Dec 16, 2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by WM.
So if you somehow manage to boot some flavor of Linux on the G5 (I don't think that's possible yet), you'll see these same improvements if that OS provides proper fan support.

Actually, you can boot Gentoo and Yellow Dog Linux on the G5, but they're both very preliminary as far as I know.. Here's a link: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5103

happo
Dec 16, 2003, 05:14 AM

Me too. I also had huge hopes for this chirping noise being a Dual 2GHz only problem. But when my Dual 1.8 shipped it had the same problem :(

A bit too expensive audio workstation that cannot be used as one (still relying on G4-400MHz running OS9). Fingers crossed for future updates :rolleyes:

-h

ffakr
Dec 16, 2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by WM.

It does seem weird that they would word it that way, I agree. Maybe the improvements are more noticeable when you're booted into OF (was fan behavior when booted into OF weird prior to this update?), but you'll still see some improvement no matter what?

our dual 2GHz will hang if you open the plastic shroud and replace it. It only crashes when replacing the shroud... the machine hangs and the fans slowly speed up to max.
I'd guess that this is the type of OF controlled Fan stuff they are talking about. I'd always assumed our problem was OF releated (with hardware monitoring deamon as my second guess)

Petrus
Dec 16, 2003, 10:18 AM
for the 1.8's the update said firmware already installed, but then it went ahead and added an "f" to my firmware...I think the fans actually got louder...just scrolling through my e'mail kicks them on now...strange.

sockgap
Dec 16, 2003, 02:29 PM
I hear that the Open Firmware code was changed so that the G5 behaves better when in FireWire target disk mode.
Previously the fans would slowly all turn on and get louder and louder til it eventually sounded like a hair drier.

Frohickey
Dec 16, 2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by SpY2K

Does that concur with the rest of you? I dont have my G5 yet, but found it quite interesting that the fan actually backspins... :cool:

I don't believe that it backspins.

medhed
Jan 17, 2004, 10:44 PM
I just got my Dual 2GHz G5 and appiled the firmware update and now my previously almost silent G5 is acting noisey...fans fluxuate speeds now, and act just weird...and noisey.

Anybody else got this issue? Any cause for concern?

How do I quiet it down now?!
:confused:

switchedanhappy
Jan 18, 2004, 11:34 PM
good god that's so annoying i'm so glad that my g5 hasn't done that (yet) i have a 2 ghz dp w/ no modem, radeon 9800 128mb, and bluetooth. everything else is stock. :cool: (for now)

sabroson
Jan 19, 2004, 02:21 AM
I love the G5 BUT...

There is a chirping noise that is driving me nuts!

Anybody experiencing this? How can I get rid of it?

Richard
--------

Flickta
Jan 19, 2004, 01:03 PM
Does that update fix a not-goin'-left problem in Primate Plunge? :)

housemartiniz
Sep 14, 2004, 02:21 PM
I love the G5 BUT...

There is a chirping noise that is driving me nuts!

Anybody experiencing this? How can I get rid of it?

Richard
--------

u are right. I just noticed that as soon as I start up and I hear the HD drive reading, then then this electronic chirping noise. for 5 seconds then it completely goes away when the desptop appears.
Please advise!

:)

zagato27
Sep 19, 2004, 02:13 PM
Just installed the latest firmware and security updates and now I'm almost not on the net! Everything was ok before but now my airport connection is almost non existent. Other computer users (Comcast cable) are not having problems. I'm getting a great signal but that's it. This is so *&%&(((^ frustrating!!!!! Did the frimware update or security updates mess with my settings????? Doubly frustrating to be a new Mac user (G5 1.6) and not knowing where/what to do. Oh yeah, did I mention that I leave for a trip in 30 min and the family is howling about things not working? Arrrrrrrrrgggggh.

stevehaslip
Sep 19, 2004, 02:46 PM
YES!!!! SWEET RELIEF!!!! now my g5 sleeps properly again!!!! no more shutting down for you!! you can sleep like a good g5! I have been waiting weeks for this update!!! does nothing!?!?!? not for me! its fixed i tells ya! fixed it good and proper!! :D :D :D :D :D

stillwater
Sep 19, 2004, 04:09 PM

Didn't Virginia Tech swap out the G5 towers for Xserves ?