PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite 3rd party app...that you can't wait to get.

Nicolecat
Jul 9, 2008, 01:17 PM
I read this review by the NY Times...
and ran across a few 3rd party apps that were mentioned.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/technology/personaltech/09pogue.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Got a little more curious and youtubed it.
Essentially...you can transfer incoming calls onto the wifi connection. (So, they become free minutes) woot!
*note-this is available for the original iphones with the free upgrade (also in the review) :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNoq5w3mkMU

Edit: I don't know how to embed...so feel free to do so if you want. :)

Jeremy1026
Jul 9, 2008, 01:35 PM
*note-this is available for the original iphones with the $10 upgrade (also in the review) :o

Actually, the 2.0 upgrade is availible for free to iPhone users. The $10 fee is to the iPod Touch users, who wouldn't be able to use this app being as, they don't have a phone.

Nicolecat
Jul 9, 2008, 01:41 PM
my bad...I skimmed over the last part of the first page.

It's fixed now. :)

know-it-all5
Jul 9, 2008, 01:43 PM
I am really looking forward to icall. I hope it launches on Friday with the app store.

dccorona
Jul 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
awesome!
now if only we could send text messages through wifi this easily and still using our phone number...........get on it devs!

Nicolecat
Jul 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
Not to be confused with icalls. Which just keeps track of number/length of your calls.

But...I can't wait either.

this could almost mean that I could choose a lower minute level plan. (I'm always in wifi hotspots. :rolleyes:

"Another, called G-Park, exploits G.P.S. to help you find where you parked."

"...Urbanspoon, is “a cross between a magic eight ball and a slot machine:" you shake the phone, and it randomly displays the name of a good restaurant nearby, using the iPhone’s G.P.S. and motion sensor."

-The New York Times

I am soooo excited. :p

I know there is more out there...who's heard of other good ones? :confused:

D3lta
Jul 9, 2008, 04:02 PM
I like the AIM app. But I'm not sure if it counts as a text message when you send/receive an IM or just as data... anyone know?

Emulsion
Jul 9, 2008, 04:11 PM
I like the AIM app. But I'm not sure if it counts as a text message when you send/receive an IM or just as data... anyone know?

My current phone on AT&T counts it as a text message with AIM. But the way I see it, that would be dumb because someone could just make an app that uses it through data. So no matter what, an IM client will be free... with the $30 data plan. What Im hoping for is an IM client that can send txt messages to people through the data waves, and not the Message waves. Similar to the way you can send a text to a phone in iChat. That way more and more people can get on the IM way, and get away from the text message way. But if that happens it would surprise me if AT&T included the txt price in the plan and jacked it up to $40 just to get the money your not spending.

Sonicjay
Jul 9, 2008, 04:12 PM
Time and expense tracker; I need that badly!

wolfpackfan
Jul 9, 2008, 04:14 PM
The number 1 app I'm looking for is a good eBook reader that has some way to transfer text files to for reading. I'm also looking forward to AOL Radio.

conshok26
Jul 9, 2008, 04:16 PM
twinkle

mailliw
Jul 9, 2008, 04:17 PM
A remote-control app using bluetooth to control my PSP's dvd. That would be sublime.

NDimichino
Jul 9, 2008, 04:19 PM
I'm so jacked up for that MLB.com app with the video highlights.

bumfilter
Jul 9, 2008, 04:25 PM
awesome!
now if only we could send text messages through wifi this easily and still using our phone number...........get on it devs!

Why would you want to send SMS over wifi? Surely your provider would charge less than any app could?

luckygyrl83
Jul 9, 2008, 04:27 PM
"Another, called G-Park, exploits G.P.S. to help you find where you parked."

:p

OMG!!! I am in need of G-Park. This sounds great. Never again will I lose my car in the massive parking lot at the mall.

Badandy
Jul 9, 2008, 04:28 PM
"...Urbanspoon, is “a cross between a magic eight ball and a slot machine:" you shake the phone, and it randomly displays the name of a good restaurant nearby, using the iPhone’s G.P.S. and motion sensor."

That's the coolest thing I've ever heard.

Why would you want to send SMS over wifi? Surely your provider would charge less than any app could?

Surely you're joking?

rayward
Jul 9, 2008, 04:29 PM
Password Manager (Splash ID hopefully), plus some time-wasters like Sudoku (EnjoySudoku have promised a native version of their fabulous web app).

bumfilter
Jul 9, 2008, 04:30 PM
That's the coolest thing I've ever heard.

Surely you're joking?

No not really! I would get charged 12p per text (over my free allowance), I'm sure if I phoned up and asked for a bundle of say 200 extra per month they could to that for a half decent price. Maybe US users would like it more, I'm not that interested in such a thing but I don't text too much anyway.

Would people really want this?

rayward
Jul 9, 2008, 04:32 PM

Me too. It'll be slow as poop on my 2G iPhone, but there's almost always wifi somewhere...

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jul 9, 2008, 04:33 PM
I'm easy to please, all I want is a text editor with sftp capabilities.

Preferably an iPhone version of Coda (http://www.panic.com/coda/), but I'll be more than happy to settle for TextWrangler (http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/) for the iPhone (H***, I'll even pay the full price for BBEdit (http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/), if they bundle in an iPhone version ;)).

Badandy
Jul 9, 2008, 04:34 PM
Would people really want this?

The U.S. carriers charge about 20 cents for every text, sent or received. For 200 texts, it costs 5 dollars per month. For 1500 texts, it costs 15 dollars per month.

Remember, sent and received.

An app to send texts to mobile numbers and receive from mobile numbers would be great, but I doubt it would work considering the SMS on the iPhone would also be trying to receive the same message.

jalpert
Jul 9, 2008, 04:36 PM
I had no idea Neverball was going to be on the appstore for free! For those of you that don't know Neverball, it's very similar to Monkey Ball, less polished but free. Even if you buy monkey ball this is a good companion.

bumfilter
Jul 9, 2008, 04:36 PM
The U.S. carriers charge about 20 cents for every text, sent or received. For 200 texts, it costs 5 dollars per month. For 1500 texts, it costs 15 dollars per month.

Remember, sent and received.

An app to send texts to mobile numbers and receive from mobile numbers would be great, but I doubt it would work considering the SMS on the iPhone would also be trying to receive the same message.

So if I wrote an app that let you SMS from your number via a dedicated app for say 12 cents per message would that be worthwhile? Replies would come back to the normal iPhone SMS app.

Inf4life
Jul 9, 2008, 04:38 PM

That's exactly what I'm waiting for too. It will always be on my phone. It'll be so much easier to track my fantasy baseball.

Badandy
Jul 9, 2008, 04:40 PM
So if I wrote an app that let you SMS from your number via a dedicated app for say 12 cents per message would that be worthwhile? Replies would come back to the normal iPhone SMS app.

It probably wouldn't be. First off, no one is going to buy an app like that as a subscription based service. The whole reason to get away from carrier texting is to not have to pay a set rate on every message.

In the case of the app you just mentioned, how would you make the text conversation threaded?

So most people will get either the 200 text plan (for 5 bucks) or the 1500 (for 15 bucks). Your proposed application would cut down the number of texts you need on your plan in half. That means that those with the 200 plan would still want to keep their plan, and the people with 1500 would still keep theirs, as 750 is still too much for the plan below it.

Unfortunately, I don't see any solution to this problem.

Pyrus
Jul 9, 2008, 04:47 PM
It's free, so I'm quite looking forward to the eBay app. Will make buying and watching on eBay so much easier.

extraextra
Jul 9, 2008, 04:51 PM
I'm looking forward to NetNewsWire and maybe Adium? I don't even know if they said they were making iPhone apps but I can hope.

The General
Jul 9, 2008, 04:55 PM
I want an altimeter and a speedometer app!

And I can't wait for Band. :D

slippery-pete
Jul 9, 2008, 04:55 PM
Monkey Ball and mlb.com

Nicolecat
Jul 9, 2008, 04:57 PM
I want an altimeter and a speedometer app!

And I can't wait for Band. :D

Do you think the speedometer would be accurate considering the hype that the gps isn't all that fantastic? :confused:

The General
Jul 9, 2008, 04:59 PM
Do you think the speedometer would be accurate considering the hype that the gps isn't all that fantastic? :confused:

Please, it will be fine. ;) Have faith.

Nicolecat
Jul 9, 2008, 05:03 PM
I can be optimistic...I can be optimistic. :o

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jul 9, 2008, 05:07 PM
maybe Adium?
Ooh... forgot about Adium... that would be a very nice app to have on the iPhone... :)

http://adiumx.com/blog/2008/03/adium-and-the-iphone/

The General
Jul 9, 2008, 05:14 PM
I can be optimistic...I can be optimistic. :o

Here's the way I look at it:

I came from having a Nokia 6230: :D

http://www.lordpercy.com/nokia6230.jpg

It didn't have many features, so sure, people said the original iPhone wasn't that great and didn't have that fast of internet. But it was a MASSIVE step up from my 6230, and it did many things WAY better than any other phone on the market.

The iPhone 3G may or may not have downfalls but it will do everything the same or better than my current phone, which is an EDGE iPhone, so I'm not really worried about it.

My current phone doesn't have 3G, and it doesn't have GPS at all. So no matter what, it will be a step in the right direction. I'm not going to downgrade and lose all the nice features such as iTunes syncing, MobileMe, AppStore, accelerometer, multitouch, Mac support, Mac OS X, Cocoa Touch, etc, and go to something like a Blackberry just because it has a bigger GPS antenna and has a little bit better GPS accuracy. :p

I'll stick with the iPhone 3G, and call it good. It's an upgrade, and it does what I want at a reasonable price.

NDimichino
Jul 9, 2008, 05:35 PM
Me too. It'll be slow as poop on my 2G iPhone, but there's almost always wifi somewhere...

The videos are only like :15 second highlights, don't sweat it man. Rock on with your 2G, I know I will.

That's exactly what I'm waiting for too. It will always be on my phone. It'll be so much easier to track my fantasy baseball.

You read my mind. it's going to make iPhone owners fantasy gods.

I use sportstap.mobi/mlb now... it's really good and loads well, even over edge.

bacaramac
Jul 9, 2008, 05:40 PM
Super Monkey Ball and iCall. Can't wait, I am trying to talk the wife into getting the 3G iPhone. We would be able to cancel our home line if we both have iCall.

neiltc13
Jul 9, 2008, 05:41 PM
Is NetNewsWire actually confirmed for iPhone yet?

I use the web-based one.

Waterpolo820
Jul 9, 2008, 05:42 PM
IF, IF there is a TomTom app., then that will be the first.

Ding.Dong
Jul 9, 2008, 06:31 PM
The NYT review said there's a tip calculator app. That's got to be the most useless app I've ever heard of. People can't use the calculator?

Nicolecat
Jul 10, 2008, 08:20 AM
Ooooo...

I found this on www.informationweek.com

Loopt
Loopt is a mobile service that allows users to track friends on a map and communicate with them. It's now available for BlackBerry users onAlltel (NYSE: AT), Sprint (NYSE: S), T-Mobile, and AT&T (NYSE: T), and it's coming to the iPhone, according to a report on InformationWeek last month.

Loopt will allow iPhone users to track friends on a map and communicate with them.

You download the free program, set up a network of friends, and tag their locations and your own using the handsets' GPS. Loopt will alert you when a friend is nearby, you can post and share geo-tagged photos, read and maintain a mobile blog, and comment on others' uploads. Users can turn the services on and off on a friend-by-friend basis or all at once.

Loopt declined to comment for this article, so we don't know when the app will be available.

It's on the 4th page of this link (http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/iphone/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208803188&pgno=1&queryText=&isPrev=)...

littlewaywelt
Jul 10, 2008, 08:26 AM
WebIS - PocketInformant 08
right now it's for WM but they're doing an iPhone version. It's an amazing contact, datebook, PIM manager that blows the doors off of stock WM, so it should be an even bigger improvement over the iPhone iCal&datebook.

Illium - eWallet
version for iPhone coming out.
allows encrypted syncing between phone/pda and both desktop and an online source of your choosing for all kinds of information like credit card numbers, and other personal information.

macsensei
Jul 10, 2008, 08:29 AM
nike+
icall
mlb

dccorona
Jul 10, 2008, 08:31 AM

an app could do it for free
and price isnt my concern, i have unlimited sms
unfortunatley, my house is at the bottom of a hill in a low service area, so I often dont have the signal to send a text message
usually during important conversations
so being able to just push the text over wifi would make my life so much easier

GotMac?
Jul 10, 2008, 08:42 AM
Check out teleflip.com its not an app, but it will take SMS messages sent to your phone and route them to email, thus you won't need an sms plan....I think you can just reply to the SMS email and it will be like an SMS message on the other end.

sseelman
Jul 10, 2008, 07:16 PM
Hi...

I am an iPod touch owner. Like many of you, I have updated to iTunes 7.7 and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of 2.0. I currently have a number of apps downloaded to iTunes. After browsing the app store for a fair amount of time, I can think of at least two applications that I would love to see.

1. NetFlix Viewer: Basically, I would love to see NetFlix create an iPhone/touch-compatible video viewer to stream their Instant movies and TV shows. I watch a fair number of these on my PC, and think this would be a great thing to extend to this Apple platform. I know that NetFlix uses a Windows Media format for the PC version, so I am unsure if the shows would all have to be re-encoded for Quicktime. Anyway - it would be great.

2. TripAdvisor: Yes, I know that TripAdvisor has a restaurant-focused app here already. That is great. I will probably download it. But, I would like the full content of TripAdvisor in one single and elegant app. I suppose it will come, but wanted to get my vote out early.

Other than that, the only other item might be a native IMDB client - again - with full content.

Thanks.

Sam

edwinaoki
Jul 10, 2008, 09:21 PM
The AIM application allows you to send text messages over the data connection to mobile phones in the US.

Just enter +1 and the full 10 digit phone number as your buddy's address in either the buddy list or a new IM window (e.g. +14085551212). That phone number will be sent an SMS message, but on your side it will travel through the AIM data network - you can even use it from an iPod Touch on WiFi. Your buddy will be able to respond, and you'll get the response back in AIM.

* Note: because your buddy is receiving SMS text messages, *they* may be charged, but from your side, it will work just like sending an IM to a screen name.

Look at http://daol.aol.com/software/mac/iphone/aim/faq for more info on this feature.

Thanks,
-The AIM for iPhone Team

jsgreen
Jul 10, 2008, 10:03 PM
The NYT review said there's a tip calculator app. That's got to be the most useless app I've ever heard of. People can't use the calculator?

Why use a calculator at all - it's not like figuring 15% or 20% of anything is rocket science.

Here's a "tip":

15% = 10% + 5% (which is 1/2 of 10, of course)...

So any amount is pretty easy to figure.

Just do it fast in your head...say dinner costs $72.46, 15% is $7.25 + a little over 3.50 = about $11.

Or be a good guy and just double the 10% and leave ~$14 on the table.

jsgreen
Jul 10, 2008, 10:06 PM
+1 for a Netflix viewer

Glad to see SplashShopper (use it all the time on my Treo) and eReader (also use it a lot when traveling).

A good Tide prediction application would be useful for me. There is a nice free one for Palm called TideTool (based on xTide).

ucfgrad93
Jul 11, 2008, 12:29 AM
I'm really excited about eReader and MLB at Bat.

Korb91
Jul 11, 2008, 10:19 AM
Nike+, Rolando and Peggle!

DanielQ
Jul 12, 2008, 04:47 PM
Well, I didn't see a thread like this yet, so I thought I'd create it.

Basically, I'm curious as to what applications are on your "wish list," so to speak. Applications that aren't currently in the store by should be possible to create based on the iPhone's hardware/software.

For me, I'm mostly hoping someone will develop:

Video Recorder App - records video through the camera (unlimited time)
Video File Extensions - an application that allows more options for uploading videos to the iPhone

Anyone else? What are you hoping will get developed in the next few months?

Dimwhit
Jul 12, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'd like to see a nice, full-featured word processor. Once that can open/save in .doc and .rtf formats.

I'd also like to see a file browser for the iPhone. One that will let you sync any time of file to the iPhone. There might be something that already does this.

But what I REALLY want is an iPhone version of FileMaker Pro. One that will at least let you add/delete records from an existing db. (Being able to create a db on the iPhone would probably be too cumbersome to worry about .)

blairbeckwith
Jul 12, 2008, 05:00 PM
Video File Extensions - an application that allows more options for uploading videos to the iPhone
[/LIST]

Agreed. VLC, maybe?

Also, a multi-platform IM client.

dmb8021
Jul 12, 2008, 05:03 PM
an NFL app much like the MLB app. But the NFL one can have play by play, and the fantasy stats they have on their scoreboard on gamedays (like top QB's and RB's, WR's, etc).

arubinst
Jul 12, 2008, 05:10 PM
+1 for a file manager and then:

- An msn client
- A full featured SIP client
- A Remote Desktop client
- A VNC client
- A WiFi network stumbler

Dr Lu 2010
Jul 12, 2008, 05:13 PM
i would LOVE to have :

Epocrates (full version) not just the Rx (it is coming)
Medical Dictionary app

Also surprised they dont have a Wikipedia app yet.

WLS
Jul 12, 2008, 05:26 PM
I would like to see an anagram app that allows you to:
1: enter phone numbers full or partial and get all the valid dictionary word combinations for the letters asociated with a phone number string
2: enter a text string and get all the valid dictionary word combinations from the letters in the string. since the two functions are related the app should ideally do both
That would be a usefull time waster!

Errk!
Jul 12, 2008, 11:01 PM
NFL & NBA app similar to (but better than) the MLB app
Voice recorder with the ability to email recordings
Meebo
ESPN
An improvement to Remote to allow wifi streaming of iTunes
Google Apps that will let you edit Docs
Monopoly!

Badandy
Jul 12, 2008, 11:15 PM
I second ESPN, I hate the format of that other sports news/scores compiler. Allow us to add and delete sports from the applications main menu.

Eddieowns
Jul 12, 2008, 11:16 PM
Unlimited Video Recorder
Flash
NBA - On Court (similar to MLB At Bat)
MMS App
iChat app, Minus Video Chat

Willing to pay 4 or 5 bucks each =)

Mike2128
Jul 12, 2008, 11:20 PM
I wanted a Wikipedia one but thinking about it ... what could it do? you'd need a web connection anyway since the material is consistently in flux, so a webclip would ultimately serve the same purpose. If you need to save a wiki for offline viewing you could always use Instapaper.

reasonably priced Dictionary/Thesaurus

Voice activation, preferably written by VoiceSignal.

Word processor ... I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see iPhone versions of Office applications pop up someday.

Am I missing something or is there really not a Missile Command game?!

I can't really think of a whole lot else.

macfan881
Jul 12, 2008, 11:32 PM
I second ESPN, I hate the format of that other sports news/scores compiler. Allow us to add and delete sports from the applications main menu.

i third on that lol I would love a ESPN MVP program like they have with Vcast the vcast program is really good i would love to have something in terms of that on my ipod

noisebleed
Jul 12, 2008, 11:33 PM
- windows live messenger ( msn )
- last.fm

Errk!
Jul 12, 2008, 11:35 PM
- windows live messenger ( msn )
- last.fm

Last.fm is coming in some form.

Don't hold your breath for MSN.

importluva
Jul 12, 2008, 11:36 PM
I want Touch Fighter or similar!

ravenvii
Jul 12, 2008, 11:43 PM
Punch Out! For some reason I think it'll be the most awesome iPhone game ever! Utilize the accelerometer and the touch screen!

Adium!

VLC!

And Flash! Yes, yes, I know, no hacks, etc, but Adobe can include their own browser with Flash in it - they own Opera don't they?!

!!! !!! !!!

Niiro13
Jul 13, 2008, 12:37 AM
I wanted a Wikipedia one but thinking about it ... what could it do? you'd need a web connection anyway since the material is consistently in flux, so a webclip would ultimately serve the same purpose. If you need to save a wiki for offline viewing you could always use Instapaper.

It would be useful for authors. Currently, editing Wikipedia pages on the device is painful as you have to use the regular version of the site instead of the comoki version (which, btw, their server is kinda slow).

Also, even though webapps would work, it's just faster for native applications.

Anyway, I pretty much want Flash. Apparently Apple didn't consider placing the viewing/posting of comments in the YouTube application.

meoshimo
Jul 13, 2008, 12:48 AM
Actually, you can download wikipedia dumps

kwarren
Jul 13, 2008, 01:25 AM
I am actually quite surprised by the complete lack of soccer news/scores applications. A nice little app with BBC Sport/other mainstream sites headlines that automatically pulled data (like how Mail auto-checks at set intervals) and put a little bubble with the number of unread stories (again, just like Mail) would be a GREAT addition. I'm not asking for coverage of obscure leagues, just the top tiers in Europe plus England's Championship and Leagues 1 & 2. This app would make me the happiest iPhone owner in the world.

ShaqFu
Jul 13, 2008, 01:31 AM
Skype for the Iphone
Turn the Remote App into a Apple TV streaming program

Philsy
Jul 13, 2008, 02:10 AM
To do list that syncs with iCal and Mail

MMS

Michael CM1
Jul 13, 2008, 02:33 AM
• Finder. I want to be able to get docs on the phone and store them. Not many with the limited space, but a few. It would always be nice to have my resume on there and then you could e-mail it whenever.
• Something like MLB At Bat for various other sports. This one was probably first since MLB is going on now. I wouldn't buy them all, but NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, NCAA football, other college sports, NASCAR, golf, tennis, etc. etc. Tons of money to be made there. I would kill to have the University of Georgia radio coverage available over the Internet. They're doing this with XM, so through some sort of app wouldn't be a shock.
•*Games that figure out how to do something that doesn't require tapping or tilting. Surely there is a way to figure out buttons and some sort of D-pad. The current games are pretty good, but there are a lot of areas yet to be tapped (who doesn't see World of Warcraft hitting this platform somehow?).
• Sling player! I know it's in development. I probably wouldn't buy it since I only have EDGE, but over 3G the video would probably be great (and clog AT&T's network like a mofo). This may be a WiFi-only thing, but I'd be interested to see it.
• eBooks that aren't just out-of-copyright old stuff. I have all the Harry Potter books. I wouldn't mind being able to get a digital copy, yet I'm betting they wouldn't be 99 cents. I'd at least like to see this option.
• Consumer Reports. This would be beyond handy when shopping.

sonictonic
Jul 13, 2008, 02:42 AM
I am really enjoying the Scrabble game and I really want Monopoly now! :D

Dipdip
Jul 13, 2008, 02:45 AM
Google Earth or something of that nature.

Philsy
Jul 13, 2008, 03:45 AM
Google Earth or something of that nature.

We already have that with Maps

Tobes00
Jul 13, 2008, 04:02 AM
• Finder. I want to be able to get docs on the phone and store them. Not many with the limited space, but a few. It would always be nice to have my resume on there and then you could e-mail it whenever.

Definitely would love to be able to store files on the iPhone, I used to use my old iPod mini as a portable drive and it seems like such a waste if I can't store docs on my iPhone.

Also, I'm a chem student and I pretty much go to wikipedia about 20 times a day looking up atomic masses, densities, heat capacity, atomic radius etc.
Now maybe it's just because I'm a teeny bit of a chem nerd, but a touchscreen periodic table would be the most awesome app ever. You click on an element and all its info comes up... I can just picture it now.

Sphyrna
Jul 13, 2008, 10:39 AM
a touchscreen periodic table would be the most awesome app ever. You click on an element and all its info comes up... I can just picture it now.

That would be pretty cool!!

irishgrizzly
Aug 26, 2008, 03:45 AM
Go! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_%28board_game%29)