PDA

View Full Version : Apple iWrite?

MacRumors
Dec 15, 2003, 08:15 PM
As noted briefly on ThinkSecret, Apple appears to have trademarked a new name... "iWrite" with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

"iWrite" was filed for trademark on September 12, 2003 and is categorized under "Computer hardware; computer software".

Interestingly, the trademark is registered under "Appple Computer, Inc." (with an extra 'p') so will not come up on a routine search for "Apple Computer". The Attorney of Record, however, is consistent with an attorney that has filed previous trademarks for Apple. "iWrite" is also a pending trademark under the Australian trademark office (and listed properly under "Apple Computer").

There have been many long-standing rumors of a new Apple-branded word processor and office suite. Earlier rumors have labeled the word processing component as "Document".

Perhaps the most intriguing past information, however was Apple's recruitment of three developers from Gobe Software. Gobe developed an innovative office suite for Windows, Linux and BeOS, and -- after a brief disappearance -- seems to have returned.

Add to this recent reliable rumors of a new Apple application due as early as January. Any connection, however, is simply speculative. Readers should also remember that Apple has trademarked a number of terms in the past, not all resulting in shipping products.

pimentoLoaf
Dec 15, 2003, 08:18 PM
If the price is write then I'll buy it.

sorry about that pun...

swissmann
Dec 15, 2003, 08:20 PM
Bring it on to compete with M$ and bring on the rest of an office like suite!

Phobophobia
Dec 15, 2003, 08:22 PM
OMG. No more word X!!!!

Doctor Q
Dec 15, 2003, 08:31 PM
I'm going to go to the Apple home page and click Reload every few seconds until they announce it, so I can order it as soon as it's announced. ;)

Of course, I'm assuming it will be what we previously called Document. Maybe iWrite will turn out to be a new handwriting recognition program, in which case never mind.

jasonpaul75
Dec 15, 2003, 08:32 PM
Sure would love to see Apple hammer away at the competition with further innovation of the word processor. With the isight's fantastic microphone it would be forward thinking if the "app" would focus as heavily on voice based input methods. We have all heard that its impossible to be accurate with speech to text conversion. Still, one can certainly hope. If it was even 90% accurate in its processing and used a grammer / spell checker type utility to clean it up it would be very useful to me. Combine that with the input of tracks off of the ipod voice recorder attachment for transcription and you have what many students and professionals would consider to be a truly killer app. Add consistant output and input of word documents and another winner we would have.

Sabenth
Dec 15, 2003, 08:34 PM
this is getting reall intresting if its a word killer bring it on iam sick of it..

Interiority
Dec 15, 2003, 08:35 PM
Assuming that this is a word processor, it is strange that it is branded as an i-App, whereas Keynote is not? Part of an entry level AppleWorks replacement perhaps?

uhlawboi80
Dec 15, 2003, 08:36 PM
wellll, unless it has flawless compatibility, unlike Safari which still doesnt, im hoping they dont piss of MS and have them stop making Office X.

now before you all freak out on me, i dont like M$ anymore than the rest of you. BUT, i cant use the reply button or several other functions of exchange online. I also have trouble downloading attachments in hotmail and yahoo mail, though i typically use Mail and my .Mac account. but again, i hate getting .wpd documents that i cant open in Word X, i dont want that kinda crap happening with Word files in some new Apple program...just a thought.

SiliconAddict
Dec 15, 2003, 08:37 PM
Woo hoo bring on rampant speculation.
Folks reality check here. The day Apple brings out Office competition is the day Microsoft shrugs, says screw it and effectively kills any chance of Apple entering the enterprise environment. People NEED to realize that MS Office is THE standard when it comes to office productivity suites. People will not compromise compatibility.
Now this doesn’t mean Apple won’t bring out some neutered version that is a step up from Microsoft’s Wordpad. Maybe they are looking for basic compatability. What else would you need? I mean OS X natively reads PDF's so add Word Docs and you have a good majority of the doc files on the planet covered.

zellin
Dec 15, 2003, 08:39 PM
It is classified under "Computer hardware; Computer software." HARDWARE. We have no idea that it is even software let alone a word processor. It could be anything, like a PDA. For all we know it could be a Wacom-like tablet, although that is pretty unlikely. But honestly, Microsoft is releasing a new version of Office for Mac at Macworld. Therefore, it would not be a good time to launch a brand new word processor. Another possibility is the rumored (and, apparently, confirmed) 5th application to iLife. iWrite could be for writing web pages. Or writing some other digital-media. And the fact that it is put under "Appple" is a bit odd. Any loser sitting at home could make a company called Appple Computers and file all the trademarks they want. Not that I am saying that that is the case, but we just have no idea.
EDIT: Oh and btw, I heard somewhere that the next version of Office/Mac would be the last... I'm probably just crazy but does anyone know what I'm talking about?

j33pd0g
Dec 15, 2003, 08:45 PM
TextEdit can already open some word docs. That's good enough for me.

If someone sends me a Word doc in the email, it is our departments policy to trash it. So I don't have to worry about it. People that can't send plain text, or PDF's are lame anyway. JM2C

kangaroo
Dec 15, 2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Folks reality check here. The day Apple brings out Office competition is the day Microsoft shrugs, says screw it and effectively kills any chance of Apple entering the enterprise environment. People NEED to realize that MS Office is THE standard when it comes to office productivity suites. People will not compromise compatibility.
Now this doesn’t mean Apple won’t bring out some neutered version that is a step up from Microsoft’s Wordpad. Maybe they are looking for basic compatability. What else would you need? I mean OS X natively reads PDF's so add Word Docs and you have a good majority of the doc files on the planet covered.

ditto that.

btw, would someone kindly explain the logic of Apple's use of i as in iTunes or iWrite? Why not iKeynote? Also, does 'i' stand for a word like 'interactive'? Inquiring minds...

arn
Dec 15, 2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by zellin
. And the fact that it is put under "Appple" is a bit odd. Any loser sitting at home could make a company called Appple Computers and file all the trademarks they want. Not that I am saying that that is the case, but we just have no idea.

Well, it's also registered in Australia and the European Union under "Apple Computer"

arn

nuckinfutz
Dec 15, 2003, 08:47 PM
Apple has no choice. Both doors lead to no Office.

Option A- Apple has phenomenal success breaking into the Enteprise. Microsoft feels threatened and cripples Office X

Option B- Apple develops a silky smooth Office Suite. Microsoft is pissed and cancels office development.

Both are plausible scenarios. On on hand you have Apple being openly adversarial. On the other Apple is getting into bed with Apple and trust me it isn't microsoft who will be screwed.

Success in the Enterprise can only happen with your own tools. Apple entering the Enterprise based on Microsofts tools reminds me of the story about the "Scorpion and the Turtle"

Personally I don't think iWrite is the best name. I think the whole "i" craze has really gotten boring.

arn
Dec 15, 2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by zellin
It is classified under "Computer hardware; Computer software." HARDWARE. We have no idea that it is even software let alone a word processor.

fwiw, Keynote was trademarked by Apple under the same category ("Computer hardware, computer software")

See: http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/10/20021013024617.shtml

arn

anodized
Dec 15, 2003, 08:54 PM
iThink that the "i" in iWhatever means 'intenet' from the first iMac = internet mac since the information superhighway was just starting to really gear up for consumers.
as for right now, iDon't know why they keep using nor the real meaning of it now.

If McDonald's can name McNuggets and McMacs, apple can use their "i." right?

hey... Mac? Big Mac? Can't Apple team up with MickeyDees so we can get little G5's in toy form?

greenstork
Dec 15, 2003, 09:10 PM
IMO, Microsoft Office is the glue that holds the monopoly together. It is the killer app in the consumer market and to a large extent, the enterprise market. If anyone can make a viable product to compete with Office, it will be the straw the breaks Microsoft. They already face enormous pressure from bad press over security, monopoly investigations worldwide, and a virtual open source revolution outside the U.S. If their killer app (Office) loses ground, they will lose notable market share.

Assuming this is a word processor (and that's a big assumption at this point), I pray that Apple gets it right the first time. Keynote was innovative but the key with any Office competitor will be seamless compatibility. If they can't deliver this from day one, I'd say don't bother even releasing it. And by seamless I mean that formatting between Word and iWrite need to look exactly the same, not "close," but the same.

If this turns out to be a word processing application, this is the biggest rumor since Panther and the G5.

Apple should release this on as many platforms as possible, including Windows.

edit: As for MS pulling Office from the Mac, I don't think this would ever happen. They would have the justice dept. breathing down their neck in no time. Especially in light of the fact that MS has always claimed that the MBU was profitable.

snofseth
Dec 15, 2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by jasonpaul75
Sure would love to see Apple hammer away at the competition with further innovation of the word processor. With the isight's fantastic microphone it would be forward thinking if the "app" would focus as heavily on voice based input methods. We have all heard that its impossible to be accurate with speech to text conversion. Still, one can certainly hope. If it was even 90% accurate in its processing and used a grammer / spell checker type utility to clean it up it would be very useful to me. Combine that with the input of tracks off of the ipod voice recorder attachment for transcription and you have what many students and professionals would consider to be a truly killer app. Add consistant output and input of word documents and another winner we would have.
The voice to text would be awesome if it worked. I can see it now me sitting in class with my powerbook not paying attention at all but it is taking down all that its being said, I think i had one of those programs like 5 years ago it was terrible but if this one worked and needed no callibration so it could take down anyone for taking notes in class I would even pay $1000 that is a rediculous price but for that it would make my life much easier having a bad day dont feel like paying attention well you dont have to. Actual voice recorders are to hard to come back to i tried that but notes are not then with pathers auto summerize instant summerize notes withuot paying attention at all!!!!!!! Awesome!!!
Hey if this doesn't sound real I can dream!!

restiffbard
Dec 15, 2003, 09:33 PM
Please, Please let this be the new app released at MWSF. Please let it be a word processor. Please!!!

I could give two rats' asses if it causes Word to go away. I haven't used Word in ages. Not since "clippy" the helpful idiot.

And to the rest of you saying I shouldn't get my hopes up. Cut it out. Let a man dream. :)

Dec 15, 2003, 09:35 PM

Absolutely. While I have no doubt Apple has a kick-ass Cocoa office suite in development, I can't see them actually releasing it unless provoked by MS.

shen
Dec 15, 2003, 09:42 PM
IMO, Microsoft Office is the glue that holds the monopoly together. It is the killer app in the consumer market and to a large extent, the enterprise market. If anyone can make a viable product to compete with Office, it will be the straw the breaks Microsoft.

bingo.

M$ makes money from only two units, and ask any company why they buy windows and don't look at linux and they say "Office."

now Macs run office too, but why spend more money to get the same thing?

yes, WE have good reasons, but what companies do?

now, if apple starts to make a push for companies, they need 1) a cheap headless and 2) office suite. they have a world class chip now, and a world class OS. it won't matter to companies that want cheap machines though.

here is an idea, can they write the thing to run on linux/BSD? sure! will they make a lot of money on that? not a penny from home users, but what about companies? sun is betting on it, should Apple?

if so, what is to stop them from suggesting linux terminals and servers but Apple desktops? isn't that a smart move for a company to make? why have flaky windows servers and high license costs when you can have linux in back? but linux isn't that friendly on the desktop, so why not put some Macs up front for the desktop users? that could be very good for sales...

and hey, IBM would be more than happy to provide servers with linux for those companies. and slip a knife in M$s back at the same time. could be very good.

iThought
Dec 15, 2003, 09:42 PM
If you've checked out the history pages, you'll notice that the Gobe folks were tied to ClarisWorks which was tied to StyleWorks.

The interesting thing about this is that the concepts haven't changed much. Sure, slight improvements here and there, but nothing significant.

Bascially: Gobe Productive = AppleWorks = ClarisWorks = AppleWorks GS = GSWorks.

I truly hope that if the Gobe guys are working on this that they threw out the paradigm they've been stuck to for the past 10 years, otherwise it'll just be a tweaked version of AppleWorks (perhaps written in Cocoa). That's nothing to get excited about.

Westside guy
Dec 15, 2003, 09:51 PM
Well I've got to risk some flames here...

There are a LOT of things Microsoft does poorly - but Office is not one of them. Certainly they've added everything plus the kitchen sink to it, but at the base it's a great suite. Unlike most other MS products that are now de-facto "standards", this one didn't get to that point by MS abusing the power of their monopoly - Office has never been all that cheap, after all, compared to its competitors.

I'm sure Apple can make a great office suite if they put their mind to it, but this is the one area where Microsoft can effectively compete in terms of quality.

ITR 81
Dec 15, 2003, 10:00 PM

Textedit is pretty much wordpad so I doubt it's that unless it's a replacement for Textedit.

This can only be few things:

Replacement for Textedit

New word processor

hand writing recon. software for future tablet or PDA(highly unlikely if you've been keeping up with whats SJ's been saying in recent interviews).

This only leaves a word processor or Textedit replacement.

I would lean more toward a word processor app. just because if they didn't want to piss off MS then they would've never came out with Keynotes and having Keynotes 2.0 coming out in Jan.

Also MS will not pull out because when people speculated MS would not renew it's contract to support Mac it cause backlash from all around the world and bring anti-trust cases from all over the world and would probably end up Office being split from the company or cutting up MS.

MS knows this and thats one of the reasons it renewed it contract for the Mac.
MS doesn't want anymore PR then it already has.

fredwick
Dec 15, 2003, 10:02 PM
PLEASE NO MORE i STUFF ITS OLD!

shen
Dec 15, 2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Westside guy

There are a LOT of things Microsoft does poorly - but Office is not one of them.

no flame from me, but i would say it is their only good product.

thecow
Dec 15, 2003, 10:08 PM
So if keynote is competing with powerpoint and iWrite is competing with word how long will it take for apple to make a spreadsheet program?

ITR 81
Dec 15, 2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Westside guy

There are a LOT of things Microsoft does poorly - but Office is not one of them. Certainly they've added everything plus the kitchen sink to it, but at the base it's a great suite. Unlike most other MS products that are now de-facto "standards", this one didn't get to that point by MS abusing the power of their monopoly - Office has never been all that cheap, after all, compared to its competitors.

I'm sure Apple can make a great office suite if they put their mind to it, but this is the one area where Microsoft can effectively compete in terms of quality.

Word is lackluster if you've ever used WordPerfect. I would rather use WordPerfect any old day then to use Word because it's very easy to learn interface.

Powerpoint for me is a joke and all those crappy clipart are pretty much worthless to me because like most folks they pull clipart from another program.

MS Outlook and Excel are about the only thing worthwhile in Office and even those products have problems.

If Corel would start making WordPerfect for Mac again I'd buy it in heartbeat.

pjkelnhofer
Dec 15, 2003, 10:09 PM
Posted by me in another forum
All the need is a decent Word Processor/Office Suite with and "i" version included in the iApp package (iOffice anybody) and you get 99% of the things an average user needs right out of the box.

I hope I am right... for once.

phrancpharmD
Dec 15, 2003, 10:09 PM
It would be absolutely super to have an Apple equivalent to MS Office. I have effectively phased out use of PowerPoint and use Keynote exclusively for my lectures and presentations now, and have almost completely transitioned from Word to AppleWorks over the last 6 to 8 months or so. Despite regular use (nearly daily) of AppleWorks though, I still find it clunky and, dare I say, less intiutive than Word (it could, of course, be that I used Word for about 7 years). And the spreadsheet portion of AppleWorks is woefully inadequate compared to Excel, and I am by no means an Excel "power user;" I just find its formatting abilities easier to use and more flexible than AppleWorks. All that said, I would GLADLY purchase a TRUE alternative to Office if it had greater feature parity than the current AppleWorks program - ESPECIALLY if voice recognition stuff was part of it - how cool would THAT be!?!?

Steven1621
Dec 15, 2003, 10:10 PM
certainly a suite to compete with ms office would be a huge step in the right direction for apple. the farther the company can distant themselves from ms is certainly for the better.

the suite would have to be perfectly compatible with office documents. such is integral if they hope for any success. we see a glimpse of this in keynote. hopefully, apple can continue this elsewhere.

TylerL
Dec 15, 2003, 10:16 PM
What Apple should do:
Make answers to Excel and Word much like Keynote is an answer to PowerPoint.

Make them 100% compatible with existing Office documents...and figure out how to convert that damn WordArt stuff too (makes the masses happy).

Release it for Mac OS X and Windows.

...for free.

Microsoft doesn't make much money on Windows...and the majority of its profits comes from Office sales.
You undercut Microsoft on all fronts with a FREE superior Apple product, and you start to erode the Office market share.
...MS doesn't like stuff like that :p

Yes, it's crazy.
Yes, it'll cost a good $50-100 Million dollars...but don't you think it's worth a shot?

ITR 81
Dec 15, 2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by thecow
So if keynote is competing with powerpoint and iWrite is competing with word how long will it take for apple to make a spreadsheet program?

Not very long because their are many opensource apps that copy Excel look and feel and workings.

I myself still prefer WordPerfect over Office because Office for me is just too bloated when WordPerfect just seems just right.

bensisko
Dec 15, 2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by greenstork
IMO, Microsoft Office is the glue that holds the monopoly together. It is the killer app in the consumer market and to a large extent, the enterprise market. If anyone can make a viable product to compete with Office, it will be the straw the breaks Microsoft.

Sorry, but the glue that holds the monopoly togeather is Windows. YES Office is a Killer App. HOWEVER, ther have been several apps that have come and gone and were as-good-as or better-than Office. So why is Office such a huge success? Because everybody else uses Office. Somewhere along the line business decided Windows was cheaper, and Microsoft convinced them that, as long as they are going with Winows, they might as well go with the complete business solution.

There was a point where MS and Apple had a choice to make. MS went after the Enterprise/Business market, and Apple went after education/creative. Had they made different decisions, Apple could very well be the king and MS the underdog.

So, in conclusion, Apple would do well not to tick off MS/Adobe. It seems each of these companies seem to have their place: MS=Business, Apple=Video/Music, Adobe=print, Macromedia=web. Each of these companies have made forrays into each other's worlds, but have thus far been turned back (though Adobe has done well with video with After Effects).

Competition is good, but Apple has to choose it's battles, and Office Apps should not be one of them.

ITR 81
Dec 15, 2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by TylerL

Microsoft doesn't make much money on Windows...and the majority of its profits comes from Office sales.
You undercut Microsoft on all fronts with a FREE superior Apple product, and you start to erode the Office market share.
...MS doesn't like stuff like that :p

Yes, it's crazy.
Yes, it'll cost a good $50-100 Million dollars...but don't you think it's worth a shot?

They could do that but I doubt it would be free unless it's free bundle with all New Mac purchases. They could still compete with MS just price it way below Office product's pricing.

iChan
Dec 15, 2003, 10:24 PM
i would buy a WP from Apple in a second, if only they gave me a chance!

tex210
Dec 15, 2003, 10:30 PM
It's my tablet. Come to me...
humming my mantra of manifestation.

LimeiBook86
Dec 15, 2003, 10:40 PM
Whatever it is I hope we get it soon and that it is good. :D

iChan
Dec 15, 2003, 10:43 PM
I know deep inside that this would be sucha great app, if only Apple had the gall to release it...

I have to admit though, MS Office, esp Word is a very very solid app on MacOSX and it would take a lot to compete against it...

I don't really know if there is a point

snahabed
Dec 15, 2003, 10:52 PM
I have used both extensively, and I ABHOR WordPerfect.

I am loathe to admit that I have used no word processor or spreadsheet as good as Word and Excel, respectively.

Apple should really just develop an Office Suite, bite the R&D costs, and sit on it as an "emergency situation," or until that imaginary magic fantasy day when Apple has a significant market share.

Gymnut
Dec 15, 2003, 10:53 PM
Until then I'll still be using Office. Even yet I may just stick with Office since I've used it for so long. It'll really have to trump Word and Excel for me to dump Office altogether.

jshep
Dec 15, 2003, 10:56 PM
Please Steve Please......Instead of Office Suite...Call it "How Sweet" and let us dump M$ for good!!!

Interesting, doing a google search I found

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/4644

BenRoethig
Dec 15, 2003, 10:56 PM
I don't think iWrite will be part of an office suite. the iapps are traditionally consumer products while professional apps have normal names. I think iWrite is one of three things:
1. A replacement for AppleWorks
2. Handwriting recognition software
3. Apple tablet.

thecow
Dec 15, 2003, 10:58 PM
If Apple does it right the FIRST time they might be able to pull the office market out from under M$'s feet. Than M$ might fall.http://forums.macrumors.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

iChan
Dec 15, 2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by BenRoethig
I don't think iWrite will be part of an office suite. the iapps are traditionally consumer products while professional apps have normal names. I think iWrite is one of three things:
1. A replacement for AppleWorks
2. Handwriting recognition software
3. Apple tablet.

in response to 1), one program to replace the whole package of appleworks?

g.money
Dec 15, 2003, 11:01 PM
I have no idea as to the legalities and such, but isn't it possible that Stevey can pull off an open source app--a la Safari--but this time with OpenOffice?

I heard OpenOffice is ready to go on X but it needs a hearty dose of "aquafication".

Personally, I find OpenOffice very appealing (full Word file compatibility!). It would be interesting to see whether Apple could just feed off the open source community again.

-----------------
"Excuse me there, I want you to remember this face, this is the guy behind the guy behind the guy"

Awimoway
Dec 15, 2003, 11:04 PM
A number of thoughts:

I'm no MS apologist, but Word is a great app. I don't think Apple needs to compete with it and I don't think Apple thinks they need to compete with it.
PowerPoint, on the other hand, produced ugly presentations. There was good reason to compete with it.
The "i" prefix to the name (assuming, of course, that this even is a word processing app) means that it will be a consumer-level app, not be a pro-level app like Keynote or FinalCut or what have you.
AppleWorks, the consumer-level office app, is in desperate need of an update.
On the other hand, my worst nightmare is that MS will stop developing Office:Mac and will simply bundle VirtualPC with Office for Windows, forcing us all into VPC hell. Maybe iWrite will be a consumer-level app with such potential and promise that it could be considered a warning shot at MS to keep producing Office:Mac.

Sol
Dec 15, 2003, 11:04 PM
iWrite sounds like something to do with pens, like on a PDA's screen. Ink allready does this on OS X but iWrite could be an application that is designed for that kind of input.

I am not so sure that Apple will create an office suite or a tablet PC but I am sure that they would not create a tablet and expect people to use Office X with it.

iChan
Dec 15, 2003, 11:12 PM
i still prefer the name 'document' - it is not so ambiguous...

I mean, I don't think that many people will ask "what's that for?" if they heard the name document, because for sucha long time, .doc has been associated with Word processing...

and the name 'document' would also imply 100% compatibility with Word... two birds with one stone

~Shard~
Dec 15, 2003, 11:14 PM
It's going to be interesting to see what his application actually is. I agree with a lot of the posters here though - if it is indeed a replacement for MS Word, and since we already have Keynote, how much longer before we get iSheet as a replacement for Excel?

Just give me longer-than-32-character file names (why, Word, why?!?) in a word processing app and I'll be happy!

~Shard~
Dec 15, 2003, 11:15 PM
Hmm, this ties in nicely to the previous rumor of updated iApps, including a "new app" at MWSF. This definitely adds some validity to the rumors - now we just have to wait and see!

Macmaniac
Dec 15, 2003, 11:18 PM
It has to be Apples PDA;) iWrite on my new iWrite, complete with 1.2 ghz G4 and 10 gig HD, the iWrite is perfect for any person needing a powerful PDA.

Sol
Dec 15, 2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
It has to be Apples PDA;) iWrite on my new iWrite, complete with 1.2 ghz G4 and 10 gig HD, the iWrite is perfect for any person needing a powerful PDA.

I doubt that any new products would be designed with a G4 in mind.

The Apple PDA is the iPod.

iChan
Dec 15, 2003, 11:39 PM
should apple release a PDA, there is no chance in hell that it will be calling an iWrite.

I mean, is writing the only thing you;d be able to do on it?

PDA=Personal Digital Assistant...

7on
Dec 15, 2003, 11:43 PM
Blast, I hope it's a word processor. I hate having to switch to Home and End keys instead of the arrows and command. It needs to be as simple as Keynote compared to PowerPoint and support .doc files 100%. I doubt it's that hard, since it's only formated text. If that comes out and then a database builder, I'd have to find something to do with my Office CD. Maybe sell it to an uninformed mac user....

The only beef I have with Keynote is the lack of themes, though that is no reason not to use it.

Note: Just used Keynote to open some old PowerPoint files I had laying around, and I am impressed. Though some transitions didn't work, it's ok.

EDIT: Sparked by my Keynote escapade, I tried some .doc files in TextEdit. Text Only worked, but it choked on anything with images.

lpb2h
Dec 15, 2003, 11:53 PM
What we need is not a mere "word processor", but a document creation application beyond not just Word, but beyond FrameMaker, built for XML-based publishing, along with new schemas for electronic (beyond HTML) on-line and traditional documents, combined with new style sheet languages (beyond CSS). There is a gaping whole in the market which a company like Apple could leapfrog Adobe with, and change the internet forever. And change Apple in the process.

Keymaster
Dec 15, 2003, 11:56 PM
Hmmm....how about a Bluetooth pen and a new application?

The pen is designed to activate when picked up, or when the top is pressed, and that activates the interface software. The pen has a tip that can be used on any surface, even directly on a monitor, so there isn't a need to have any other hardware. With a training module for the application, it can "learn" how you write. When done, you can save what you have made directly as a PDF, save it as an image or have it convert to text.

So, that's just like the iPod and iSight, hardware that integrates and improves the usability of software.

I'm hoping for a new, improved Appleworks too, or Apple's version of OpenOffice, but this would be in line with what Apple is doing lately. In fact, when was the last time Apple introduced new i-themed software? Haven't all the i things been hardware the past two years?

pgwalsh
Dec 16, 2003, 12:00 AM
iPray for an office application.

iPray that it contains:
Open Standards Document Format
MySQL Integration.
XHTML & XML file support.
FTP
Speech Recognition.
Collaboration.
Blog Support
Conferencing Support.

LimeiBook86
Dec 16, 2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Sol
iWrite sounds like something to do with pens, like on a PDA's screen. Ink allready does this on OS X but iWrite could be an application that is designed for that kind of input.

I am not so sure that Apple will create an office suite or a tablet PC but I am sure that they would not create a tablet and expect people to use Office X with it.

True, if it were a word like application I guess it should be called iType. iWrite sounds like some sort of PDA or Tablet Device.

SiliconAddict
Dec 16, 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by restiffbard
Please, Please let this be the new app released at MWSF. Please let it be a word processor. Please!!!

As Agent Smith said. Me me me me ME.

Does anyone around here ever look at the big picture? I see this as a major trend for Mac users on this site. Apple does or does no do something and the only thing half the people on this site do is "well I don't like it because I don't need it" or "why would Apple make a 2GB iPod. I couldn't care less about it." Look at the big picture people. Such a plan could backfire on apple in a big way. Yes as someone put it Apples' damned if they do and damned if they don't but 2%-5% market share, depending on who you talk to, is not the time to unleash the big guns. Apple should be playing the cards up their sleeve only when they either:
1. Have their backs to the wall with MS holding them back by threatening them with killing off Office.
2. They have a toe and handgrip on the business world.

Not now. But just because they just registered a name doesn't mean they are going to use it anytime soon. How many felines did Apple register? Enough for at least 3+ years with of OS's. As I said before this could simply be a WordPad wannabe app that is more compatible with Word. Or it could be an Apple stealth weapon they are holding back if, more likely when, Microsoft gets uppity.
LOL Imagine if this was built across all platforms. Linux, OSX, Windows. And Apple released it on every platform for free that was compatible with Word, WordPerfect, Openoffice out of the box. Talk about a doomsday weapon. I would love to see some snotty MS rep making threats to Steve. Steve hold up a remote control and the screen behind him turns on with a new iOffice logo.

reyesmac
Dec 16, 2003, 01:22 AM
I think Apple will sell this more as a portable document/ web site creation tool and by the way, it does word files too kind of application. They probably will find a way to use this app as a tool to make money even if it is free like giving it itools integration.
If they are going for unique and original, they can throw in the ability to make a document file that plays special small quicktime movies in it. Whatever it is I am sure everyone with any kind of computer will be able to open the files so long as they have quicktime installed.

Thats what I am hoping for at least.

fr0d
Dec 16, 2003, 01:32 AM
BUT, i cant use the reply button or several other functions of exchange online.

Try disabling popup blocking temporarily (command K should do it).

greenstork
Dec 16, 2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by lpb2h
What we need is not a mere "word processor", but a document creation application beyond not just Word, but beyond FrameMaker, built for XML-based publishing, along with new schemas for electronic (beyond HTML) on-line and traditional documents, combined with new style sheet languages (beyond CSS). There is a gaping whole in the market which a company like Apple could leapfrog Adobe with, and change the internet forever. And change Apple in the process.

Not to mention complete integration with other coding languages, weblogs (.Mac?), and built in FTP. Now we're talking.

edit: just saw pgwalsh's post, we're on the same page.

greenstork
Dec 16, 2003, 01:46 AM
As Agent Smith said. Me me me me ME.

Does anyone around here ever look at the big picture? I see this as a major trend for Mac users on this site. Apple does or does no do something and the only thing half the people on this site do is "well I don't like it because I don't need it" or "why would Apple make a 2GB iPod. I couldn't care less about it." Look at the big picture people. Such a plan could backfire on apple in a big way. Yes as someone put it Apples' damned if they do and damned if they don't but 2%-5% market share, depending on who you talk to, is not the time to unleash the big guns. Apple should be playing the cards up their sleeve only when they either:
1. Have their backs to the wall with MS holding them back by threatening them with killing off Office.
2. They have a toe and handgrip on the business world.

Not now. But just because they just registered a name doesn't mean they are going to use it anytime soon. How many felines did Apple register? Enough for at least 3+ years with of OS's. As I said before this could simply be a WordPad wannabe app that is more compatible with Word. Or it could be an Apple stealth weapon they are holding back if, more likely when, Microsoft gets uppity.
LOL Imagine if this was built across all platforms. Linux, OSX, Windows. And Apple released it on every platform for free that was compatible with Word, WordPerfect, Openoffice out of the box. Talk about a doomsday weapon. I would love to see some snotty MS rep making threats to Steve. Steve hold up a remote control and the screen behind him turns on with a new iOffice logo.

OK everyone take a deep breath, Apple's not releasing any super killer cross platform ultra word processor for free. This is Apple after all, the only software that they release for free is the kind which is contingent on you buying Apple hardware.

However, I do agree with you that it would be a killer app if it came out across multiple platforms, if it did all this:

Originally posted by pgwalsh
iPray for an office application.

iPray that it contains:
Open Standards Document Format
MySQL Integration.
XHTML & XML file support.
FTP
Speech Recognition.
Collaboration.
Blog Support
Conferencing Support.

JDOG_
Dec 16, 2003, 01:49 AM
I wouldn't really consider Office the glue that holds Microsoft together as much as getting pretty much every PC that's ever sold having Windows on it--there's some money in that. As far as office goes, well it's a great suite and I hope Apple can come up with a good one too if that's what they want to do. I'm happy either way really, as long as I can get my work done and go have fun.

greenstork
Dec 16, 2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by JDOG_
I wouldn't really consider Office the glue that holds Microsoft together as much as getting pretty much every PC that's ever sold having Windows on it--there's some money in that. As far as office goes, well it's a great suite and I hope Apple can come up with a good one too if that's what they want to do. I'm happy either way really, as long as I can get my work done and go have fun.

At some point in the near future, the line will become blurred between Windows and Office, with the increased integration of XML. Apple, in a sense, is playing catch-up in this regard.

Apple is all about getting work done efficiently and more intuitively than Microsoft, IMO, and Word will be a damn tough act to follow. If Apple does make an Office like suite or even just a word processor, and they follow Microsoft's lead on XML integration, I have no doubt in my mind that I will be blown away by it.

hokka
Dec 16, 2003, 02:25 AM
I like the pen idea... a new tool for the business and the creative market

though iWrite sounds more like software than hardware as a name, since iPen makes more sense and easier to say (plus the closeness to "iPod", imagine that's what it's really called ;) ) - unless, ofcouse it's been taken...

here's a iPen camera - japanese invention: a digital camera in that's right, you've guessed it - a pen:

http://akiba.ascii24.com/akiba/news/2003/10/24/646546-000.html

and

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/showstory.jsp?storyid=3810 (engish)

BTW, the site www.ipen.com is still vacant

anyway, I still like the pen idea <end rant>

:D

ChrisH3677
Dec 16, 2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by shen
bingo.

M$ makes money from only two units, and ask any company why they buy windows and don't look at linux and they say "Office."

now Macs run office too, but why spend more money to get the same thing?

Money's the reason Shen, but not the cost of hardware. It's the cost of software to replace all the applications used, not just Office.

There's a major misconception in the world that Office=Compatibility.

Sorry. I run the IT department of a local council, if I could I would replace our entire fleet of computers (around 96 at last count) with Macs I would.

But I can't. And nor can nearly all corporations.

I run VPC on my Mac because our Records Management System only runs on Windows and our local government system (finance and property) only runs on Windows.

And then there's all the specialist departmental applications which only run in Windows.

And then there's the MS-Access databases...

Our local government system cost well over $100,000. I am not aware of any LG system that is Macc compatible so one would have to be written from the ground up. Ditto Community Services apps.

If I was to convert our whole council to OSX it would cost in excess of $1,000,000... at least. Given my capital budget this year was $30,000... it's not gunna happen!!! :D

And that's just my piddly little council's story. Imagine a big company considering it! It won't happen.

I don't think Bill loses any sleep over anything Apple does.

I also don't think Steve has any intention of going head to head with Word & Excel. W&E are good for Apple. They are and always will be more compatible with W&E for Windows than any Mac based clone.
W&E in particular actually help bring switchers over, because it says "MS". So why would Steve mess with that?

If Apple went head to head with W&E, Bill would not drop Mac Office, he would merely make compatibility harder for non-MS clones to achieve. And that would stem the march of switchers quicksmart!

What about Keynote? Powerpoint is a bit player in the Office suite - the order of importance goes Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, Powerpoint.

Have people stopped buying Office because Keynote is better than Powerpoint??? No way!! So Bill's not worried.

Personally, I hope that iWrite is a part of a totally new Appleworks.

rauf
Dec 16, 2003, 02:57 AM
IMO iWrite may well be a wireless device to write with, especially given the lack of use inkwell has so far?

A decent pen type device with the ability to write either directly and have the text recognised by inkwell (like exsiting graphics tablet devices) but also write anywhere on the move and download handwriting recognised text when back near the mac. Now that would be a great product. Both products already exist seperately, in the PC world without the handwriting recognition, why not improve on it on the mac and sell it as a new product. After all that's what apple do best - take existing technology and implement it in a more intuitive way.

ratspg
Dec 16, 2003, 03:19 AM
it doesn't matter much. i would love an alternative to MS office. Not because it is a bad product...which it isn't, it's the damned best office suite ever. just the fact that it is the ONLY one, and i think apple can make a decent word application that caters well to general public (not appleworks.)

come to think of it, i remember... the first thing i did before i bought my powerbook was ask myself 'how am i going to type my homework on it, and write my projects?' in other words... i made sure office was available on mac.

and people... stop promoting OpenOffice.... sure it has capabilities but um yea... user friendly? no.... apple-like? no... just works, like word does? no

it's hard to compete with something like MS word. it hasn't really ever had any serious competition and has been doing a great job at what it does for over 10 years.

Apple can definitely come out with an app similar to word with some new 'features' that make people go 'ooo' and 'aaahhhh' with all the lovely quartz stuff..but when it comes down to it... will it work on other computers... will you continue to be productive with it... is it cost-effective.

microsoft has had the lead and still will, this is no office killer if it even is a word kind of app. i respect microsoft for Office, it's a very solid application and is used worldwide. apples app, will have a minor effect, if anything.

Winston Smith
Dec 16, 2003, 03:28 AM
Could this be an iPod addon that uses Inkwell to allow you to scribble notes etc. on the move and sync with your mac back at base??

tduality
Dec 16, 2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by g.money
I have no idea as to the legalities and such, but isn't it possible that Stevey can pull off an open source app--a la Safari--but this time with OpenOffice?

I heard OpenOffice is ready to go on X but it needs a hearty dose of "aquafication".

Personally, I find OpenOffice very appealing (full Word file compatibility!). It would be interesting to see whether Apple could just feed off the open source community again.

After using OpenOffice for quite some time now on Windows and on OS X I think it's quite far from being an 'Apple' product in terms of usability. It's as intuitive as Word, which means it's not intuitive for me at all. I hope Apple would come up with something much better in this respect. If they could use the core of OpenOffice and reengineer the UI we might have something fantastic here.

I'm not saying I don't like OpenOffice. It's just not so different from MS Office.

arn
Dec 16, 2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by rauf
IMO iWrite may well be a wireless device to write with, especially given the lack of use inkwell has so far?

Ah yes... excellent thought.

There have been products like this

Anoto (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2000/04/20000414085359.shtml)

I think this could be an amazing thing.

arn

TorbX
Dec 16, 2003, 05:27 AM
Someone up here said that Apple for sure has an Office Suite in development, but that they wont release it before they really need to.

I agree.

Makes me wonder what other things they have in development "just in case"...

Office suite for sure.
Marklar / OSX for Intel i think...

Anything else?

PS: Sorry about even mentioning Marklar :rolleyes:

tychay
Dec 16, 2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by shen

Actually, they turn a profit from four units: OS, Applications (Office), Enterprise, and Internet. (MacBU also makes a profit, but I think that gets folded into the others when they put their quarterlies out.*) Though I will say how they derive a profit from Internet is highly suspect and it'll be a big stretch to say that they can control prices in Enterprise so they don't have monopoly power there.

I'd say they have a dominant position in Windows desktop OS, Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Visio, Project, and Outlook. Visio and Project are a niche so they don't do much to maintain the main monopoly (the OS)--a program like Autodesk AutoCad does much more than both these two products combined.

If it wasn't for bundling and the library integration, IE's position would whither in about a year so it's hard to say this is a monopoly. Ditto for Outlook.

Also, don't discount OpenOffice/StarOffice. I know it looks like crap on the Mac, but it's doing very well. In fact, it does a better job at converting old Word documents than Word itself (so much for the "use MS for compatibility" argument). At the rate it's going, it'll at the minimum force Microsoft to rethink their Office strategy which has really stagnated for the last few years. If Apple introduces a Word competitor, I hope it supports OpenOffice.org's open XML document format, though given the size and licensing it would be unlikely for Apple to be able to base an "iWrite" or "Document" on it's code base.

I think that the name "iWrite" sounds to me like either a bundled AppleWorks editor replacement or a tablet pc/peripheral. Hopefully we won't have to wait as many years between the trademark registration and introduction of it as we did for Keynote.

Take care,

terry (who enjoys being able to open Word documents in TextEdit in Panther.)

* BTW, I believe Microsoft may still be the largest software vendor outside of Apple by revenue in the Mac market.

achmafooma
Dec 16, 2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Interiority
Assuming that this is a word processor, it is strange that it is branded as an i-App, whereas Keynote is not? Part of an entry level AppleWorks replacement perhaps?
I haven't read the whole thread (far too long, and I have an exam in less than an hour so I'm afraid to start), so forgive me if this has been said... but isn't this a possible scenario:

A word processor called iWrite--powerful enough to compete with MS Word--would come free with every copy of OS X, kinda like TextEdit now. For most people this is all they'd need, and it helps justify our yearly $129 OS upgrade ;-) not that exposé wasn't justification enough, but ... anyway ...

If you needed a full office suite, you could buy (unnamed spreadsheet app), FileMaker, and Keynote in a package which would integrate right with the iWrite that you already have.

Sorta like the iLife bundle... you can get iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie for free online. You're buying a bundle of four programs, but in reality you're only buying the one (iDVD) that isn't free.

Except the Office bundle would only have one of its four major products for free (unless you want to count Address Book / iCal / Mail as an Outlook/Entourage equivalent). Sounds reasonable to me, especially with the iLife precedent.

That might explain the "i" in the name.

tychay
Dec 16, 2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by greenstork
At some point in the near future, the line will become blurred between Windows and Office, with the increased integration of XML. Apple, in a sense, is playing catch-up in this regard.

This is total BS (no offense). Mac OS X is the only OS on the market with XML-based configuration files. It also has built in XMLRPC and SOAP libraries. Microsoft Word makes a joke of HTML and their new XML standard doesn't interoperate due to their abuse of DMCA and the hooks they left in for binary extensions. (Think about that last one for a minute, binary extensions... in XML.)

As for the intentional blurring Microsoft has engaged between Windows and Office... well that tight integration is why their platform is a security nightmare. Have we so quickly forgotten about the VBA macro viruses because our Outlook and default-on services are such an inviting vector?

Sure, when MS finally introduces Longhorn (in what, 2005? 2006?), the XML integration for remote installation of objects via SOAP may force Apple to play catchup to those people willing to lock themselves into DRM enforced on the hardware and BIOS level and lock themselves out of competing products like Linux because of it.

Personally, I question how popular this will be as each successful OS since 95 has had slower and slower uptake and Apache will have all-but-wiped-out IIS by that date.

Given what problems that the Microsoft/Office integration caused, I shudder to think what some evil person will do with Longhorn's SOAP API/OS integration.

johnnyjibbs
Dec 16, 2003, 06:15 AM
Most people seem to think that iWrite will be the killer Word competitor app, a.k.a. "Document." This may be the case but the fact that it has 'i' at the start of the name surely denotes that it will not be?

If it is going to go hand in hand with Keynote and a future spreadsheet app, it will not have a name like 'iWrite,' which is inconsistent more than anything else anyway. As already mentioned also, the name iteself does not sound very professional - it sounds more like a little consumer app that may be free or not cost much.

I prefer the idea that some others have said, that iWrite is either an AppleWorks replacement or some new sort of handheld device. Time will tell.

backdraft
Dec 16, 2003, 06:49 AM
Since it is categorized under hardware/software it could be a tablet Mac.

iWrite how about iNote? or GhostWriter/StyleWriter?

Now if it is a word processor I hope Apple dumps the whole 'i' thing. There's no need for a word processor to access the internet, we all know what trouble that brings... cough, cough, *M$ holes*...

I'd prefer calling it Apple Wordpad or something without the 'i' thats catchy. I just hope this new office suite is made up of separate applications and not like AppleWorks where its all integrated and messy.

Word Processing: Apple WordPad
Presentation: Apple Keynote
Flow Charts/Project Management/Organization/Planning (Like Visio): ???
SpreadSheet: ???
Database: ???
Accounting: ???
E-mail: Apple Mail

Oh, and Apple should buy Nisus Writer. But then again Apple is a "hardware" company. :rolleyes:

-backdraft

justathought87
Dec 16, 2003, 06:52 AM
For some reason i felt the need to look up iWrite on Google, and the first thing i get is an old OS 8.1 piece of software that does....
“iWrite is a feature-packed text editor that can do everything from writing most of a document in a few mouseclicks, to sending e-mail, to allowing you to export to any file format you wish. If you write documents: letters, stories, articles, code, anything; you can use iWrite.”
now...maybe they are bring back this, i don't know, just informing you. It is at this address.
http://www.atpm.com/7.07/iwrite.shtml

backdraft
Dec 16, 2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by tychay
(Think about that last one for a minute, binary extensions... in XML.)

hehe... Well XML wasn't meant to handle binary, the way around that is base64...

-backdraft

johnnyjibbs
Dec 16, 2003, 06:56 AM
The original iMac may have stood for 'internet Mac' but that doesn't mean that metaphor has to continue today.

The 'i' in front of everything could also stand for imagination, intelligent, I (as in you or me), interactive, and a whole lot more things - whatever you want it to be.

I think its good for consumer-related things.

marijne
Dec 16, 2003, 07:31 AM
iWrite is a pretty awkward name to pronounce. Most of the other iProducts have a hard sound after the 'i', but this is an 'i', then a soft sound, then another 'i'. Maybe it's just my accent, but it just doesn't roll off the tongue like the others.

It's also ususual in that it's a verb rather than a noun. iProducts seem to go with nouns unless there isn't a suitably descriptive one available (e.g. iChat, iSync), so if there were a word processor in the works, I'd expect the name to be along the lines of iDoc.

I've never been a huge fan of iNames, but this one is pure ugly. I hope it doesn't surface on any Apple product, particularly a WP.

the future
Dec 16, 2003, 07:34 AM
I'm surprised about how many people here seem to like Word. I hate it, it's very counter-intuitive and gets in the way all the time. A true Microsoft product, in other words.

SiliconAddict
Dec 16, 2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by tychay
Actually, they turn a profit from four units: OS, Applications (Office), Enterprise, and Internet. (MacBU also makes a profit, but I think that gets folded into the others when they put their quarterlies out.*)

Actually it would be more accurate to say that Microsoft's major profits (Mid to high 80%) are generated in order of: Windows, Office, Server, (All the other stuff.) The amount of money generated from the Mac BU, which obviously is mainly comprised of Office, has to be insignificant compared to Office for Windows. Since MS Office for Mac is pretty much a total rewrite for OS X I really wonder how much return on investment they get vs. Window's Office return on investment. In the long run it could, I'm sorry to say, be beneficial for MS to scale back office for the Mac for multiple reasons.

geerlingguy
Dec 16, 2003, 07:50 AM
How about this:

Microsoft announces at MacWorld: "I have some good news, and some more good news. Microsoft has just come out with a new version of Office. This will be the last version that Microsoft makes. After that, all Mac Business Unit operations will be transferred to Apple. We believe that Apple is the most innovative computer company, and Apple is dedicated to finally fixing all the bugs in Office for Mac. Instead of calling it office, it will be called Apple Office, with iWrite, Mail, Keynote, and Database. Everything will be faster, easier to use, and generally much better."

Steve adds: "Oh, and one more thing. Here's the PowerBook G5. It comes in the 2.4, 2.6, and dual 3.0 Ghz varieties. The low end model has an 80GB hard drive, 1 GB of PC3200 DDR RAM, and a new ATI Radeon 990 Pro with 128 MB VRAM.":D

JulesK
Dec 16, 2003, 08:04 AM
Interesting thread, but I can say that I'd be one switcher who would switch right back if MS stopped supporting Word and Excel for Mac OS. WordPerfect was a very good product at one point, but it died (or will soon die except for being bundled with IBM computers) because everyone in my business (legal) uses Word and Excel, and the file conversions between the Word and WP were not perfect. Maybe 95%+, but not perfect, and nobody is going to put up with cleaning up that 5% over the long haul. As close as Apple (or any other company) may come to 100% compatibility, I very much doubt they could hit 100%, and that is a problem nobody should underestimate. Also, Word is flat out a good program. I have used both WP and Word extensively on PCs, and Word is miles better once you master its complexities (e.g., style sheets).

While it may make sense for Apple to come up with a good product to replace AppleWorks, it would be insane for it to do anything that would cause MS to stop supporting Office X. I love my two Macs, but I'd buy another PC laptop if I didn't have the ability to use Word and Excel on my Mac.

rpkrajewski
Dec 16, 2003, 08:54 AM
iWrite might be a blogged application or service. Apple actually has offered a completely client-side-based third-party blog tool called iBlog; they might want to build on this. It makes more sense to me than competing with MS Word, and the "i" (Internet) name would agree with that, too.

Sol
Dec 16, 2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by JulesK
While it may make sense for Apple to come up with a good product to replace AppleWorks, it would be insane for it to do anything that would cause MS to stop supporting Office X. I love my two Macs, but I'd buy another PC laptop if I didn't have the ability to use Word and Excel on my Mac.

You make it sound like you can't write without Word on a computer. DOC compatibility is built into most other text editors and it is no big deal importing and exporting.

If Office X gets cancelled Apple should have a word processor out to fill the software gap. It is possible that Microsoft would package the Windows version of Office with Windows and Virtual PC 7 and sell it to Mac users at a higher price than what PC users would pay for the stand-alone Office.

If Apple were to offer their own office package it could easilly be cheaper and better than what Microsoft will likely offer.

Zonbat63
Dec 16, 2003, 08:58 AM
Apologies if this has been covered already, but a lot of you who are pissed off by M$ Word could do an awful lot worse than Nisus writer Express, a Cocoa WP that reads and writes Word documents (not 100% perfectly, but all but the most complex documents come through OK).

Oh, and it's got a live word count.

Cheers,

Tim

jocknerd
Dec 16, 2003, 09:16 AM
What the world doesn't need is another closed file format that is useless if the product fails. At least OpenOffice.org's file format is native xml that is zipped.

The file format for .doc is where the power in Microsoft's office is. If the Justice Dept had forced MS to open their format, it would have done more to eliminate the MS monopoly than anything else.

Codemonkey
Dec 16, 2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by tex210
It's my tablet. Come to me...
humming my mantra of manifestation.

I was thinking this too, 'cept that: why bother? Unless they bought the battery-less pen rights from Wacom, the Graphire, Intuos, et al are the de facto tablet standard on the market, and fit the bill quite nicely.

As in, there's a perfectly good, robust product that already works (well) as a tablet.

It's not like video editors, mp3 players, presentation software etc. that all could use some major tweaking.

Oh well - I think it's just something else they can own so they can go after all the shareware programs that have and will call themselves iWrite. :-P

pgwalsh
Dec 16, 2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by geerlingguy
How about this:

Microsoft announces at MacWorld: "I have some good news, and some more good news. Microsoft has just come out with a new version of Office. This will be the last version that Microsoft makes. After that, all Mac Business Unit operations will be transferred to Apple. We believe that Apple is the most innovative computer company, and Apple is dedicated to finally fixing all the bugs in Office for Mac. Instead of calling it office, it will be called Apple Office, with iWrite, Mail, Keynote, and Database. Everything will be faster, easier to use, and generally much better."

Steve adds: "Oh, and one more thing. Here's the PowerBook G5. It comes in the 2.4, 2.6, and dual 3.0 Ghz varieties. The low end model has an 80GB hard drive, 1 GB of PC3200 DDR RAM, and a new ATI Radeon 990 Pro with 128 MB VRAM.":D Sir. Please step away from the crack pipe.

scat999999
Dec 16, 2003, 09:59 AM
Your reasoning only reinforces my argument. MS doesn't care if Apple comes out with an alternative to Office. MS Office is the standard in the business world. MS is a software company first and foremost. They don't care what platform you are running their software on. Sure, they may lose some Office sales to the Mac faithful, but as long as the business world remains committed to MS products, they will make Office X. They would be stupid not to. Gates may be many things (greedy, arrogant, etc.), but stupid isn't one of them. ;)

People NEED to realize that MS Office is THE standard when it comes to office productivity suites. People will not compromise compatibility.
:D :D

mproud
Dec 16, 2003, 10:00 AM
Please give me an example of a pro-user level application with the usage of "i" in it...

That's right (or maybe, "write") - no where! iWrite will be a consumer product for the family crowd.

Possibly even a .Mac offering?

shen
Dec 16, 2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by g.money

or the KDE office apps. or gnome. lets not narrow the choices here....

scat999999
Dec 16, 2003, 10:07 AM
It was that IBM partnership in the beginnning. They used to be a saying in the business world. "No purchasing agent ever lost his job for buying IBM or Xerox products." It was the safe bet in the '80s.

Originally posted by bensisko

There was a point where MS and Apple had a choice to make. MS went after the Enterprise/Business market, and Apple went after education/creative. Had they made different decisions, Apple could very well be the king and MS the underdog.

jkhanson
Dec 16, 2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by the future
I'm surprised about how many people here seem to like Word. I hate it, it's very counter-intuitive and gets in the way all the time. A true Microsoft product, in other words.

Amen to that. I hate the fact that Word replaces what I want with what it *thinks* I want. Yeah, I know you can turn all that stuff off (I have). I switched to LaTeX (using TeXShop as the front end). It has a steep learning curve, but the output is gorgeous and it gives you awesome ability to fine-tune layout. Better yet, it's free. Bye, bye Word.

I like Excel, though. It's the only Microsoft program I still use.

scat999999
Dec 16, 2003, 10:17 AM
Applefied of course!

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/features/digitalwriting&CRID=1545&countryid=19&languageid=1

Originally posted by hokka
I like the pen idea... a new tool for the business and the creative market
:D

gamicoulas
Dec 16, 2003, 10:23 AM
Forget it guys...

iWrite is not a Word Processor. It is not in Apple's intent to compete with Microsoft on it's own. Apple competes against MS in collaboration with other companies like Sun or Oracle. MS is very big to be taken on by one company. The only competition Office will get, is going to be from OpenOffice.org or derivatives of that.

Apple is actively involved in the OpenOffice project and in the near future there will be a nice OSX native version on offer, that will be as good or better than the MS offering. The goal is for OpenOffice.org to modularize to a level, that will ease the development of its GUI on different platforms. And that's where Apple's contribution is currently at.

However, iWrite has nothing to do with that. iWrite is going to be the new Newton replacement. Think of it as a small laptop without a keyboard and a mouse but a stylus. It will be the fusion of PDAs and laptops. A computer that takes interaction to another level, and believe me, you are going to like it... a lot...

...but for that you'll just have to wait just a little bit more... just a little bit...

pjkelnhofer
Dec 16, 2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by iChan
should apple release a PDA, there is no chance in hell that it will be calling an iWrite.

I mean, is writing the only thing you;d be able to do on it?

PDA=Personal Digital Assistant...
I think if Apple releases a PDA they should call it Newton.
Oh wait, did some one already make that joke?

JulesK
Dec 16, 2003, 10:48 AM
For those who believe that substantial compatibility between word processing (or spreadsheet) programs is enough, bear in mind that many people work on very complicated documents with complex formatting. Only 100%, completely transparent, and completely accurate and reliable conversion will do. Trust me on this - you'll only wade through a 60 page document once to correct formatting, because the next time you'll use the original word processing program to make changes.

There's a reason why Office compatibility was such a prominent part of Apple's switcher campaign. For some of us, that was an critical factor.

aldo
Dec 16, 2003, 10:54 AM
Have you ever thought that they won't actually be making a product out of this, anytime in the next 5 years? They might just trademark it for some other reason.

If Apple could make a word processor and a spreadsheet (maybe also a database front end to mySQL too) of the standard of Keynote 1.1 I'd be buying it straight away. M$ products are plain ugly on OSX and Apple's stuff looks amazing.

Keynote raises the bar so much in presentations it's unbelivable. If Apple did this to word processing and spreadsheets then I'm quite sure many of the none-tied-down-to-M$ small to medium businesses would switch, if Apple could advertise it right.

utilizer
Dec 16, 2003, 11:01 AM
iWrite will be an application similar to what's in Windows XP Tablet PC edition: Windows Journal.

Yes, here I go again with the tablet stuff but hear me out.
Consider that SJ has said that the PDA field is too saturated and that tablet pc's really have "no usage" right now.
SJ is going to change all that by combining what works and what doesn't.

What does is that you can have the best of both worlds with the a laptop that converts into a tablet pc. If you've ever used a Windows tablet, you know how difficult it is to manage documents and so forth. Handwriting recognition is "on the way" for the rest of the apps in there also, so it was released pretty much prematurely; this is why it has failed so miserably, people simply don't see it as an extra edition (cost) or a replacement for their laptop/desktop (not enough power).

The 12 in. PB for sure will see this and I'm not so sure about the 15 in or the 17 in.

"iWrite: Record and manage all your handwritten documents and convert them to typed text."

Sounds good to me!! Bring it on!:cool:

whiskeybravo
Dec 16, 2003, 11:36 AM
Several posters have said "100%" or "Seamless" office compatibility. Forget it. It's a pipe dream. Even as MS adopts XML and announces that they are "releasing" their XML schemas", they keep enough in hand to assure that there will ALWAYS be something that only goes one way or another or doesn't work at all. Such is the business of proprietary file formats.

iWrite will be the wordprocessing module of Appleworks which will now allow individual applications to be launched. It will use the XML schemas for OpenOffice as well as the ability to open office docs and Apple will leave (for now) the direct competition with Office (features, etc) to OO.o knowing full well that OO.o will be Aquafied in due time. Meanwhile, they will have adopted yet another open standard and will be well positioned to completely embrace OO.o should MS leave the platform

Remember, OO.o is already FREE AND darn near 100% office compatible AND available on Windows, Linux, Mac (via X win) and yet still is no where near knocking off the "killer app". MS is not so vulnerable. However support for Office and proprietary file formats is slowly being eroded and Apple should join this bandwagon by introducing a powerful mut minimalist consumer application suite supporting open standards and let the rest of the battle develop.

mikedman
Dec 16, 2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by uhlawboi80
wellll, unless it has flawless compatibility, unlike Safari which still doesnt, im hoping they dont piss of MS and have them stop making Office X.

now before you all freak out on me, i dont like M$ anymore than the rest of you. BUT, i cant use the reply button or several other functions of exchange online.

I had the same problem with on-line exchange... until I turned off the pop-up blocker in safari. I can now reply to my hearts content.

youngr40
Dec 16, 2003, 11:43 AM
Why now?

If they have been working on for all this time?

Bit of a risk leaving something like this so late? (registering a tademark)

dieselg4
Dec 16, 2003, 11:45 AM
Severl good point have been made that really point to this becomeing anything excpet a M$ word type application.

1. Microsoft would most likley drop Office development. This would hurt Mac sales. Look @ how fast they dropped IE when Safari came out.

2. Alternative Office Suites are already available in abundance, with most offering some degree of Word Compatibility (there is even soem degree of incompatibility between versions of Office!)
Corel Office (WordPerfect), OpenOffice, etc.

3. For Apple to risk losing Microsoft Office support, it would then need to A. Develop additonal apps to replace Publisher, Entourage, and Excel B. COnvince would be buyers its just as good and C. undercut Microsoft's price (not too diffcult, but I'm sure if you ask Sun how much money they make on StarOffice @ roughly 50% dsicount on M$ Office price, it won't be a whole heck of alot.)

I'm not big on paying M$ prices, and for the majority of what i do, OpenOffice is swell. But if you are looking a compatibility with this BUSINESS realted stuff, you don't want to take risks, or as someone else said, spen time reformatting. If it takes some one an hour to reformat a lengthy doc, that's still an hour of billable time wasted. How much does that M$ upgrade cost now?

pjkelnhofer
Dec 16, 2003, 12:00 PM
How far away do people think the Mac OS X native OpenOffice is from being reality?
I think Apple would rather let that be the alternative to MS Office.
Maybe, iWrite just a souped up version of TextEdit.

mrsebastian
Dec 16, 2003, 12:02 PM
as pointed out, i find it hard to believe apple will be releasing an office suite. however i wouldn't be surprised to see an "i" app for word processing that will be included as a standard installation on new macs and the next osx release.

pgwalsh
Dec 16, 2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by whiskeybravo

Remember, OO.o is already FREE AND darn near 100% office compatible AND available on Windows, Linux, Mac (via X win) and yet still is no where near knocking off the "killer app". MS is not so vulnerable. However support for Office and proprietary file formats is slowly being eroded and Apple should join this bandwagon by introducing a powerful mut minimalist consumer application suite supporting open standards and let the rest of the battle develop. OO is free and therefor people are hesitant to try it. Many assume it can't be very good if it's free. There's also no advertising of the product and so very few consumer know about it. I could go to Target or Walmart and ask everyone going in if they have heard of OpenOffice.. There response would be "Is that the new MS Office?" They just don't know and don't see the light like computer enthusiasts do.

If they charged 40's for it and sold it at Fry's and Walmart, they may actually get a lot more users then offering free over the net.. It sounds carzy, but it'd have a greater effect.

Winston Smith
Dec 16, 2003, 12:40 PM
OO is free and therefor people are hesitant to try it. Many assume it can't be very good if it's free. There's also no advertising of the product and so very few consumer know about it. I could go to Target or Walmart and ask everyone going in if they have heard of OpenOffice.. There response would be "Is that the new MS Office?" They just don't know and don't see the light like computer enthusiasts do.

If they charged 40's for it and sold it at Fry's and Walmart, they may actually get a lot more users then offering free over the net.. It sounds carzy, but it'd have a greater effect.

Excellent point and precisely what Apple could do with iTunes for Windows to counter WMP9

(Sorry off topic)

the future
Dec 16, 2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by gamicoulas
iWrite is going to be the new Newton replacement. Think of it as a small laptop without a keyboard and a mouse but a stylus. It will be the fusion of PDAs and laptops. A computer that takes interaction to another level, and believe me, you are going to like it... a lot...

...but for that you'll just have to wait just a little bit more... just a little bit...

If only this was true...

Spades
Dec 16, 2003, 12:56 PM
I'm hoping for a word processor. There is exactly one reason I do not use Word. Price. It costs 230 bloody dollars! I simply can't justify paying that much for an application I rarely use. Since I got my Mac I've only had a need for a word processor once. I ended up messing with TeX, which works just fine. Still, it's nice to be able to create a document without having an open reference manual sitting on your desk. If Apple was to release a word processor for the same price as Keynote, I would buy it immediately. Actually I'd prefer cheaper, about $70-ish, but $100 is justifiable.

And please, don't make it so "helpful"! I always got so sick and tired of fighting Word to make it format things the way I wanted it to on school computers.

lpb2h
Dec 16, 2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by jkhanson
Amen to that. I hate the fact that Word replaces what I want with what it *thinks* I want. Yeah, I know you can turn all that stuff off (I have). I switched to LaTeX (using TeXShop as the front end). It has a steep learning curve, but the output is gorgeous and it gives you awesome ability to fine-tune layout. Better yet, it's free. Bye, bye Word.

I like Excel, though. It's the only Microsoft program I still use.

Excel I like.
Word, though, is a complete dog. Unless you're just writing a small memo, it sucks. It would take me 20 minutes to list all the fundamental problems with Word. In a nutshell, though, it's STILL unbelievably buggy, and it's very unprogrammatic. Using FrameMaker (or even LaTeX) is a good antidote to the illusion that Word is a powerful document creation/editing app. However, FrameMaker is way too expensive, and they haven't bothered to port it to OS X--very short-sighted of Adobe.
kfglq

Doctor Q
Dec 16, 2003, 02:47 PM
If iWrite is a pen, Apple will try to get one in everybody's shirt pocket. They already have an iPod in everybody's front pants pocket. So they need to sell the iWallet so we'll all have something for our back pocket too, to complete the set.

jayscheuerle
Dec 16, 2003, 03:28 PM
It's not the iWrite, it's the iRight, Steve Job's motivational aluminum hammer/megaphone.

Tux Kapono
Dec 16, 2003, 03:48 PM
Here are four reasons why OS Office for X is unacceptable, or why it's hurting Mac sales:

1. You can't cut and paste web sites into Word X, but you can in Windows. While the trend is to make more and more of our programs browser-based, it seems odd that Apple, where the "i" in iMac stands for internet, seriously trails Windows in this regard. I need to own a Windows machine just to send out html newsletters.

2. A systems analyst who uses Excel extensively refuses to use the Mac X version - they simply cut out a lot of features and shortcuts from the Windows version.

3. Between using Office for both Mac and Windows, the Mac version seems cartoony and sluggish. I have no doubt this will get worse unless Apple does something about it on their own.

4. There's no shortage of articles blasting MS for not breaking any serious new ground for Office in ten years. They need a kick in the pants - it really is an old school app. Word processors and dtp will merge (drag and drop baby!) just like cell phones and pda's.

stingerman
Dec 16, 2003, 04:19 PM
Apple will enter into a market if it can innovate enough to differentiate itself and take at least a one year lead off the bat. There has been almost no innovation in the MS Office suite for half a decade. DO you think that Apple can innovate in an area that has been dead for so long?

Look how far ahead they were able to take Keynote, has MSFT been even able to match Keynotes 3D hardware accelerated cinematic presentations. No, because the underlying OS Services do not exist in Windows XP to support them in the App layer.

Apple has the advantage of leveraging their richer Cocoa and Quartz frameworks. Plus the integration of collaborative tools like iChat AV will create new functions that simply cannot be easily copied on the Windows platform. The addition of real-time collaboration, think SubEthaEdit (formerly, Hydra), with a full blown document processor along with Video conferencing will launch office productivity into the broadband age. How cool would that be and it is only possible on the OS X platform. Windows just can't handle it right now.

manu chao
Dec 16, 2003, 04:30 PM
Talking about compatibility, there are already plenty of incompatibility issues between Word(PC) and Word(Mac), room for improvement which iWrite could fill, e.g.
- font conversion, especially Symbol fonts
- image conversion (proprietary Windows vector graphics)
- missing possibility to embed click-able links in PDFs created from Word documents
- layout issues like page breaks, footnotes etc.

The funny thing is that most of these issues exist as problems between different PCs as well, albeit to a lesser degree:
- the chances are simply higher that a certain Windows font does not exist on a Mac, than on another PC, although it is quite easy to put a missing Window font on a Mac
- on my stock W2k system the link embedding did not work either (though I later managed to fix it)
- footnotes moved from side to another on a W2K system between Word screen output and the PDF, but stayed were they should on the Mac

Word is simply not stable enough in layout questions, once you've fixed your layout in Word you better don't touch it again, editing anything even on the same computer could break something, opening it on a Mac carries similar risks.

phenolot
Dec 16, 2003, 05:57 PM
iWrite - an apple trademark?

has anybody googled for "iWrite"...!?

DangerDiabolik
Dec 16, 2003, 07:08 PM
i HOPE its a cool littel pen and pda thingy...somethat that can save skethces and notes

that would be KILLER

rdowns
Dec 16, 2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by geerlingguy
How about this:

Steve adds: "Oh, and one more thing. Here's the PowerBook G5. It comes in the 2.4, 2.6, and dual 3.0 Ghz varieties. The low end model has an 80GB hard drive, 1 GB of PC3200 DDR RAM, and a new ATI Radeon 990 Pro with 128 MB VRAM.":D

Dude, wake up! You're having an iDream.

tny
Dec 16, 2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Tux Kapono
I need to own a Windows machine just to send out html newsletters.

Ok, take a deep breath, open the terminal, and type

emacs newfile.html

and watch the magic!

tny
Dec 16, 2003, 09:14 PM
iWrite is almost certainly a consumer-level word processing program, a replacement for AppleWorks' word processing component and an analog to MS Works - somewhat like Nisus Writer Express. It is very unlikely that it is a full-fledged "pro" WP package - that, if it ever comes, will probably be called something like "Document," and won't come out until at least a year or so after a Microsoft product it would be intended to compete with.

Apple already has a counter to Access: FileMaker (the company FileMaker is a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple, isn't it?). It's got a counter to Powerpoint: Keynote. Throw in a counter to Excel and the rumored "Document," and you've got an Office replacement. But I expect such a suite would only come out in the wake of an MS decision to cut MS Office for Mac.

lpb2h
Dec 16, 2003, 11:38 PM
Forget it guys...

iWrite is not a Word Processor. It is not in Apple's intent to compete with Microsoft on it's own. Apple competes against MS in collaboration with other companies like Sun or Oracle. MS is very big to be taken on by one company. The only competition Office will get, is going to be from OpenOffice.org or derivatives of that.

Apple is actively involved in the OpenOffice project and in the near future there will be a nice OSX native version on offer, that will be as good or better than the MS offering. The goal is for OpenOffice.org to modularize to a level, that will ease the development of its GUI on different platforms. And that's where Apple's contribution is currently at.

However, iWrite has nothing to do with that. iWrite is going to be the new Newton replacement. Think of it as a small laptop without a keyboard and a mouse but a stylus. It will be the fusion of PDAs and laptops. A computer that takes interaction to another level, and believe me, you are going to like it... a lot...

I'm not a betting person (nor one to speculate on what Apple will do), but if I were, I'd say you are write. (I couldn't resist leaving my typo there).
I still think there's room for the type of application I vaguely described, but whatever iWrite is, it's not going to be that.

lpb2h
Dec 16, 2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by manu chao
Talking about compatibility, there are already plenty of incompatibility issues between Word(PC) and Word(Mac), room for improvement which iWrite could fill, e.g.
- font conversion, especially Symbol fonts
- image conversion (proprietary Windows vector graphics)
- missing possibility to embed click-able links in PDFs created from Word documents
- layout issues like page breaks, footnotes etc.

Again: FrameMaker (another beast to be sure), takes the cake. Minus the price, lack of proper OS X implementation, and lack of a "light" version for the average user. Why Adobe couldn't figure out that they could put a dent into MS Word is beyond me. (I can guess, but I think they were wrong.)
kfglq

tychay
Dec 17, 2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by dieselg4
1. Microsoft would most likley drop Office development. This would hurt Mac sales. Look @ how fast they dropped IE when Safari came out.

Bad example. First of all IE is still supported (you have to have MSN to get the latest version). Second, IE didn't make them a penny and was a drain of money on MacBU. Third, IE on Mac development had stagnated long before the release of Safari (or even the rumor of a release of Safari).

Office for Mac makes them a bundle.

The only complaint I've heard with Office from Mac is Microsoft claiming it wasn't making as much as they hoped. Given Microsoft's margins in their OS and Applications divisions, I'd say their sense of entitlement is a little out of whack.

(This does not mean I think "iWrite" is a Word replacement. See my posts earlier.)

Take care,

Doctor Q
Dec 17, 2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by lpb2h
Again: FrameMaker (another beast to be sure), takes the cake. Minus the price, lack of proper OS X implementation, and lack of a "light" version for the average user. Why Adobe couldn't figure out that they could put a dent into MS Word is beyond me. (I can guess, but I think they were wrong.)
kfglq I second the notion. For years, I've said "use Framemaker" every time I heard somebody complain about yet another nonintuitive feature of MS Word. FrameMaker has always a great product for page layout and long documents and I somehow had the feeling that it "thought like I did". I used its MIF import/export features and batch tools (only available in the Unix version, I think) to do some scripting to automate the merging of data sources into FrameMaker templates and produce camera ready output, and it was a pleasure to work with.

iRiKliAN
Dec 17, 2003, 01:00 AM
phenolot

iWrite - an apple trademark? has anybody googled for "iWrite"...!?

Interesting... seems to me as if we might have afew answers.

tduality
Dec 17, 2003, 03:27 AM
OO is free and therefor people are hesitant to try it. Many assume it can't be very good if it's free. There's also no advertising of the product and so very few consumer know about it. I could go to Target or Walmart and ask everyone going in if they have heard of OpenOffice.. There response would be "Is that the new MS Office?" They just don't know and don't see the light like computer enthusiasts do.

Sun sells its commercial variant of OpenOffice named StarOffice (http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/) starting for about 80$ . It is also a part of Sun's 'Java Desktop System' which Sun tries to push into the corporate market.

Edited the link.

tduality
Dec 17, 2003, 03:43 AM

snip...

...snip

Interesting statement. Any information to back it? I'm frequently checking out the discussion forums at NeoOffice (http://trinity.neooffice.org) where the development of the 3 versions (X11, Java, Aqua) are discussed. I get the impression that Apple is not actively involved in this community effort. Maybe they're doing a 'stealth development' like they did with KHTML/Safari. Considering the effort and enthusiasm the guys at NeoOffice put in this project I would be a bit disappointed of Apple if they don't honor their work.

k2k koos
Dec 17, 2003, 04:09 AM
Oh deary me....

we will see, voice input wold be nice, alongside total compatibility with MS Word, and a new and improved user interface.....

I'm dreaming again...

;)

madmaxmedia
Dec 17, 2003, 01:03 PM
It seems that the main 'hook' of the GoBe software is that it is a single integrated program with word processing, spreadsheet, and page layout capabilities. Combine that with multiple file formats including PDF, XML, HTML and I think you have a new paradigm for document creation.

Instead of picking a word processor, spreadsheet program, HTML editor, page layout program, etc., you fire up a single program. What could be more elegant, intuitive and user-centric? Instead of having 3 or 4 (or more) different files from different programs, possibly in different folders, you could have just 1 file for any particular project you are working on. It reminds me of some of the really cool outlining programs that are Apple-only (Circus Ponies NoteBook).

Such a program would NOT compete with MS Office. It would only have a subset of features, but those would be enough for 99% of consumer users, and plenty of business users. Plus, with PDF, RTF, HTML export it could still at least be readable by others.

This makes sense to me, in that if Apple went to the effort of hiring 3 GoBe founders, they would be hiring them based on the unique features and technology of the software they've developed.

Such a software program would put me even closer to switching. To me, it would be more substantial than the iLife applications- they are great apps, but I have pretty good Windows alternatives right now (and Windows iTunes as well!)

kapinos
Dec 17, 2003, 05:03 PM
?

GregA
Dec 17, 2003, 08:27 PM
iWrite... iWrite.. what else could it be...?

How about the ultimate Web-blog program?

"From your Mac at home, setup automatically an amazing website, in seconds - served right from your home Mac.

When a viewer opens your site - they see your customised welcome page. From there they have many choices.

1. Your photo albums (like .Mac does now?)
2. A list of the bands and songs you love (taken from your most common artists and highest rating songs in iTunes!), with band information from iTMS. No listening to them but can preview from iTMS and buy!
3. A links page taken from your Safari bookmarks (each Safari bookmark will now include a preference for "do not publish").
4. Published calendars
5. An all new diary / blog app for guest books and other information. (Use the "Party Invite" template to give party info on the web, invite friends via email, and simply organise your party).
6. Other web pages you've designed using the new Apple web page writer
7. Optional Filemaker Pro data-website

All this, uploaded and synced to .Mac if requested - and otherwise accessed through iChat or an Apple redirect of web requests to your home computer when it's logged in - www. iwrite. mac. com/iChat-username"

Just some thoughts. I actually believe it's more likely an Appleworks upgrade.

edStar
Dec 18, 2003, 10:29 AM
Maybe its a graffiti type program for the new Apple Newton reprisal ;)

Who knows what it could be. But I hope to get to use it.

ChrisH3677
Dec 19, 2003, 12:53 AM
I'm with MadMax. Reading about GoBe's product, I could see how it is philosophically aligned with Apple so would not be surprised if the new Appleworks an all-in-all-in-one.

pgwalsh
Dec 19, 2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by madmaxmedia
It seems that the main 'hook' of the GoBe software is that it is a single integrated program with word processing, spreadsheet, and page layout capabilities. Combine that with multiple file formats including PDF, XML, HTML and I think you have a new paradigm for document creation.

Instead of picking a word processor, spreadsheet program, HTML editor, page layout program, etc., you fire up a single program. What could be more elegant, intuitive and user-centric? Instead of having 3 or 4 (or more) different files from different programs, possibly in different folders, you could have just 1 file for any particular project you are working on. It reminds me of some of the really cool outlining programs that are Apple-only (Circus Ponies NoteBook).

Such a program would NOT compete with MS Office. It would only have a subset of features, but those would be enough for 99% of consumer users, and plenty of business users. Plus, with PDF, RTF, HTML export it could still at least be readable by others.

This makes sense to me, in that if Apple went to the effort of hiring 3 GoBe founders, they would be hiring them based on the unique features and technology of the software they've developed.

Such a software program would put me even closer to switching. To me, it would be more substantial than the iLife applications- they are great apps, but I have pretty good Windows alternatives right now (and Windows iTunes as well!) I like it... I like it alot. Would be great to have some scripting too.