Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cjjgrubbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Hey all,

I am sending my Early 2008 MacBook in to apple to finally get the white spots fixed and I am a bit concerned about my data. I have a lot of personal information and what not (school papers, family photos, auto-logins to insurance/banking,etc...) on my machine that I would like to keep that way. In addition, I may have some questionably licensed software & music around as well. So my question is will apple be poring over my files or will they simply boot up and verify the fix and move on? Should I remove anything personal as well as any software and music that I may not be fully entitled to? They asked me for my admin login, so I assume that they plan on at least logging in, what about snooping around?

Thanks,
Jordan

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Hey all,

I am sending my Early 2008 MacBook in to apple to finally get the white spots fixed and I am a bit concerned about my data. I have a lot of personal information and what not (school papers, family photos, auto-logins to insurance/banking,etc...) on my machine that I would like to keep that way. In addition, I may have some questionably licensed software & music around as well. So my question is will apple be poring over my files or will they simply boot up and verify the fix and move on? Should I remove anything personal as well as any software and music that I may not be fully entitled to? They asked me for my admin login, so I assume that they plan on at least logging in, what about snooping around?

Thanks,
Jordan

You never know what they might do. But it is best to backup anything you might not want to lose. If they have to format the HDD in order to fix the issue, they will do so without asking you. I think Apple will not snoop around the HDD for unlicensed stuff, they should respect your privacy. But don't quote me on that.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Do you have time machine already doing backups? If not, and you have a spare external HD laying around, you can do a clone using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Any of the three ways will work to back up your data.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Also, be sure to take pictures of everything on the system. Document scratches and marks on it already. Photograph and take film of the rest.

Seriously.

Don't let a single mm go undocumented, pictured, and videoed.

Flextronics, the company that handles MacBook repairs, is notorious for damaging systems, scratching them, whatever. Protect yourself by getting the best pictures you can of it before sending it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.