Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forquare1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Hi all,

I'm wanting to create an application that looks at the possible wifi networks around me, I just want to make my own app that periodically checks for new networks, which will save me clicking on the airport icon continuously.

Thanks for any help,

Ben

Manty

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
Search for "Apple80211.h" on google, that should do the trick.
If you have any questions after checking that just ask, i would be glad to help.

Forquare1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Im guessing I don't need to implement anything from this header? Just include and call as I wish?

Sorry, coming from the Java world, headers still don't make a whole load of sense...

Ben

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
A header file, and the prototypes it contains, gives you a peek at what methods are supported. This can be avoided in Java because even with the "binary" distribution of class files in a library, the object and method names and arguments are still present.

In C and C-alike languages the header file tells the compiler that at link time or load time for dynamic libs a function with that signature will be available.

It also serves as bare-bones documentation for a developer to know what methods are provided.

-Lee

Manty

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
Include the header and link the target with the private framework Apple80211.framework.
Just remember that is a reverse engineered header and has some limitations, for example if Apple changes the framework maybe your program will stop working, but i use it in leopard and it works fine and the Apple80211 framework version appears to be the same in Snow Leopard (i saw some screenshots somewhere).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.