Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
I decided to check for updates and it said that there is a new update to install. I'm downloading now.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Thanks for the info. Thought the :apple:tv was going to be left out of the software flurry.

I'll post version number as soon as I see it (if not up already).

edit: yes, v2.1

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
It added more remotes (i.e. iphone, ipod touch) software version 2.1.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The Remote App is going to be awesome now that we know it works with the Apple TV; however, it needs to be updated for Videos and everything else. In due time I guess.

EDIT: The remote section states video can be controlled from the Remote App!

MobileMe Galleries are added as expected (mine is also now working!).

Remote Section now shows an iPhone with the Apple TV remote.

Music Videos section is still pathetically sluggish.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The Remote App is going to be awesome now that we know it works with the Apple TV; however, it needs to be updated for Videos and everything else. In due time I guess.

EDIT: The remote section states video can be controlled from the Remote App!

MobileMe Galleries are added as expected (mine is also now working!).

Remote Section now shows an iPhone with the Apple TV remote.

Music Videos section is still pathetically sluggish.

I can confirm that the remote App does control video too

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
I check on my Apple TV and there is no update for me..... :mad:
Edit: Now it showed up for me....

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
How about Music Videos? As I stated, that section is so poor, and I have MANY music DVD's.

There's a section for music videos that takes you to videos categorized by artist. There's also a free text search facility but that doesn't let you search only music videos (or any other media type) - it searches the entire library

uva25

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Can someone please summarize this update. Does it change anything if you don't have an Iphone? For example, are the photo browsing enhancements only on the Iphone used as a remote or also on the tv screen?

Apple Architect

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
United Kingdom
update

Good sub-point update. Photos are now well managed. Good use of thumbs.

Looking forward to the remote software.

Hopefully apple can show us some great solution.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
Did they bring back the ability to stream photos? They eliminated this feature in 2.0. :mad:

Sorry, I can't tell. But they have updated the 'Trailers' section so it looks much like the very first 'Front Row' interface when looking at trailers. It's just thumbnails of movie posters. One step closer to getting our content in a more visual way.

OMG!!! ANOTHER AWESOME FEATURE ADDED......when you search there is another button called 'Clear'. So now we don't have to keep clicking 'Delete' heaps of times to have nothing searched. This will save about 5 seconds of my life.

EDIT: you can stream photos.

yotoad

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
can we list all the known features of this update?

is streaming photos only through the mobile me site or the photos located in iPhoto on your Mac?

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
What I've found...

-Photo thumbnails (scroll through them. click to view it big, and click play to start a slideshow from that photo)
-Streaming of photos from mobileme (obviously) and from iPhoto on your mac.
-Trailers view has changed to big thumbnails of movie posters, when clicked on one it shows the movie's info. very similar to the rent/purchase screen on the appletv store
-The 'Clear' button has been added to the onscreen keyboard. Accompanies 'Delete' and 'Space'
-When streaming videos (I've only tested streaming from my iMac), you no longer see the buffering/loading bar thingy on the screen. It just starts playing.
-iPhones and iPod touch's can now act as remotes (obviously). In Settings>General>Remotes it has an option 'Add Remote' (currently dimmed out for me). When you hover over that option the 'Remote' App appears on the left of the screen with this description....

"Control music and video on Apple TV from anywhere in the house with an iPhone or iPod touch. Start by downloading the free Remote application from the App Store."

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
The music album list now has album artwork thumbnails.
You can add rental movies to a wishlist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.