Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galaxygrrl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
Hi all,

Here is a link where you can download two audio programs for free for your iPod. The site is Audible and the deal is much better than buying books on itunes.

http://www.audible.com/ipod

OK, I admit I'm a Marketing Manager for Audible, but we're giving something away. So, yes, this is a shameless plug! But free is good! ;)

My favorite book is the DaVinci Code, so you might want to check it out.

I hope you enjoy your books. :D

Cheers,

Beth

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
Well just signed up and downloaded Timeline. Not sure about 'listening' to books, I think I'd rather read them - but I wont know until I try it. Thanks for the link galaxygrrl!

Maclicious

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Seattle
I'm an Audible member. I became a member to get the free audible player, called the Otis (that's right, no iPod... yet!), and to listen to Science Friday, which my local NPR station stopped playing. Also, to listen to science-themed books (taking the idea of listening to Science Friday one step further)--I'm far more inclined to listen to books on entanglement and E=MC[2] than to read them.

Anyway, even on the 64 MB free player I got, I love this service. I hear Mac news and Science Friday every, yes, Friday. And, i get one free book a month. Currently listening to A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Timelines is one of the fiction books I heard--it was excellent.

Anyway, I'm NOT associated with Audible in any way, except as a customer, but I REALLY like it, and can't reccomend it enough.

(and when I get my iPod for Christmas, I'll be able to carry ALL my audible books with me, not just one at a time, or even half of one at a time!)

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I absolutely LOVE listening to This American Life every week from Audible.

I download it to my iPod and take my favorite show with me everywhere. Please don't ever drop this show. and keep up the good work!!

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I've listened to a number of books on tape and I have found that they are great for relaxing before I go to sleep.

Not to mention long trips cross country with little to nothing on the radio...

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Any two? Absolutely free? cool!!!

I will have to tell my wife, she has been wanting to buy a couple of books, to listen to at work. This should give her the push!

Thanks galaxygrrl.

Maclicious

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Seattle
I wish I had an iPod...how is the Da Vinci Code? I heard it is pretty interesting.

I also listened to Da Vinci Code on Audible. Quite good--Dan Brown did his homework on rosicrucians, merovingians, and other templar myths.

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
How do I download these books

Maybe I'm just thick or something but this site doesn't work for me.

I have a iBook G4 running pather and a 10GB 2G ipod (non-dock). When I click on the book cover art I just get a javascript popup asking me which stream type I want.

I was under the impression that I was downloading a file that I can transfer to my ipod as a introduction to how the service works for ipod users.

My iTunes is set up for internet music and I do have real installed but not wmp.

galaxygrrl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
Re: How do I download these books

I wish I had an iPod...how is the Da Vinci Code? I heard it is pretty interesting.

I loved the Da Vinci code! It's a great book.

Originally posted by RoadKill

I have a iBook G4 running pather and a 10GB 2G ipod (non-dock). When I click on the book cover art I just get a javascript popup asking me which stream type I want.

I was under the impression that I was downloading a file that I can transfer to my ipod as a introduction to how the service works for ipod users.

My iTunes is set up for internet music and I do have real installed but not wmp.

You know, I'm in marketing and I listen to Audible on my Palm, but I'm sure customer service can help you.

http://www.audible.com/helpcenter/

Cheers,

Beth

Maclicious

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Seattle
Re: How do I download these books

Originally posted by RoadKill

I think you have to join to get the two books. I could be wrong...

galaxygrrl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by jer2665
i just joined, and it only gives you the option for 1 book, and 1 subscription, what are we missing?

Opps, my bad, I'm new in this job. It is an audio book and a subscription.

I changed my orginal message.

Sorry,

Beth

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
Hey, i've been interested in audible for a while. big problem is i have dial-up. how big are the files? Are the books broken into "chapters"?

and it appears if you sign up for basic plan you get
"Choose any one audiobook plus any one daily, weekly or monthly subscription FREE. Additional months are just $14.95 each."

and the premium, you get:
"Choose any two audiobooks for FREE. Additional months are just $19.95 each."

so if i get the premium, i can download two books during the first month for free, cancel and call it good? and of course, if i enjoy it, contiune to purchase books without cancelling.

-jeremy

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by iPegboy
Hey, i've been interested in audible for a while. big problem is i have dial-up. how big are the files? Are the books broken into "chapters"?

Well, I downloaded timeline, and it was 16 hours or seomthing, and it was broken into 2 files that were 100 MB each. That was the highest quality. You can download lower quality ones.

and it appears if you sign up for basic plan you get
"Choose any one audiobook plus any one daily, weekly or monthly subscription FREE. Additional months are just $14.95 each."

and the premium, you get:
"Choose any two audiobooks for FREE. Additional months are just $19.95 each."

so if i get the premium, i can download two books during the first month for free, cancel and call it good? and of course, if i enjoy it, contiune to purchase books without cancelling.

That's exactly what I'm doing. It'll give me some listening material for flying during the holidays.

galaxygrrl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
File Size

We have four file sizes. Each hour of a specific format is

Format 1 (lowest quality) -- 2mb
Format 2 -- 4 mb
Format 3 -- 7 mb
Format 4 (highest quality) -- 14 mb

I have used format 2 and it's fine. So a six hour book would be 24 mb.

Cheers,

Beth

kangaroo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
Re: Two free audio programs for your iPod

Originally posted by galaxygrrl
Hi all,

Here is a link where you can download two audio programs for free for your iPod. The site is Audible and the deal is much better than buying books on itunes.

http://www.audible.com/ipod

OK, I admit I'm a Marketing Manager for Audible, but we're giving something away. So, yes, this is a shameless plug! But free is good! ;)

My favorite book is the DaVinci Code, so you might want to check it out.

I hope you enjoy your books. :D

Cheers,

Beth

galaxygrrl,

A couple of months ago I sent an inquiry to audible.com regarding your subscription/pricing policy and never received a reply. If audible is non responsive to prospective customers I wonder what kind of service I'd get as a customer. Not a good thing.

galaxygrrl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
Re: Re: Two free audio programs for your iPod

Originally posted by kangaroo
galaxygrrl,

A couple of months ago I sent an inquiry to audible.com regarding your subscription/pricing policy and never received a reply. If audible is non responsive to prospective customers I wonder what kind of service I'd get as a customer. Not a good thing.

I'm really suprised to hear that. I don't work in Customer service. But if you want, PM me the email and I'll make sure someone responds asap.

thanks

beth

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.