PDA

View Full Version : Restored 1.1.4 - Upgrade gone?

Barbapapa
Jul 10, 2008, 09:07 AM
Hi!

I bricked my iPod using the iPhone updater just to see if it would work. Needless to say it woudn't. I needed a Restore from iTunes to get back to the way it was.
However: I now have an empty iPod Touch. 1.1.4 but without the upgrade I paid for a while ago to enable the extra apps.

Does anybody know how to restore that? It's a legal purchase 'n everything.
I should just wait for 2.0 later today but I do want to know how this happened.

Sirus2400
Jul 10, 2008, 09:16 AM
Hi!

I bricked my iPod using the iPhone updater just to see if it would work. Needless to say it woudn't. I needed a Restore from iTunes to get back to the way it was.
However: I now have an empty iPod Touch. 1.1.4 but without the upgrade I paid for a while ago to enable the extra apps.

1.1.4 is the most recent version (before 2.0) and should have the apps (map, etc.)

laokai
Jul 10, 2008, 09:22 AM
Make sure that you are syncing your Touch on the same computer you used to buy the Jan update. I recently had to restore my Touch as well, and the Update didn't show up again until I did a sync on my laptop, which was where I had bought and installed the Jan update from.

Chris

smiddlehurst
Jul 10, 2008, 09:22 AM
1.1.4 is the most recent version (before 2.0) and should have the apps (map, etc.)

Unfortunately not, the maps etc were an extra charge for those of us that bought a Touch before 1.1.3 came out. I seem to remember seeing something about Apple pulling the app pack back in June in preparation for the 2.0 upgrade.

Hope the thread starter doesn't mind me putting another question on here but it's related and this seems like a logical place to ask rather than start another thread. I've just updated to 1.1.4 from a jailbroken 1.1.3 and, other than having to do it twice for some reason (the first time gave me a WEIRD home screen) everything is fine. But was wondering if anyone knows what's happening with the mail, maps etc applications in 2.0? I suppose the most obvious way to do it would be to have them available through the app store but anyone know for sure?

Barbapapa
Jul 10, 2008, 09:42 AM
Well that's the weird thing about it! I bought the update from my MacBook Pro (the only Mac I have) and it did not resync. How strange is that?

goosnarrggh
Jul 10, 2008, 09:58 AM
Unfortunately not, the maps etc were an extra charge for those of us that bought a Touch before 1.1.3 came out. I seem to remember seeing something about Apple pulling the app pack back in June in preparation for the 2.0 upgrade.

Hope the thread starter doesn't mind me putting another question on here but it's related and this seems like a logical place to ask rather than start another thread. I've just updated to 1.1.4 from a jailbroken 1.1.3 and, other than having to do it twice for some reason (the first time gave me a WEIRD home screen) everything is fine. But was wondering if anyone knows what's happening with the mail, maps etc applications in 2.0? I suppose the most obvious way to do it would be to have them available through the app store but anyone know for sure?

Apple has announced (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1376?viewlocale=en_US) that firmware version 2.0 will include all the JSU features. Anybody who still owns a pre-JSU iPod Touch, will automatically gain access to all the JSU features with just the $9.95 2.0 upgrade. I suppose that in retrospect, anybody who paid $20 for the JSU originally basically screwed themselves.

smiddlehurst
Jul 10, 2008, 10:03 AM
Apple has announced (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1376?viewlocale=en_US) that firmware version 2.0 will include all the JSU features.

So us scum that jailbroke our devices, stuck the iPhone apps on and are only now switching over to get these apps legally get a better deal than those that paid back in January? Something about that seems wrong. Not that I'm doubting you but I think Apple may meed to have a rethink on its pricing policies in future...

poldi
Jul 10, 2008, 10:12 AM
Hi!

I am experiencing the same problem. I restored my iPod this morning and now the JSU apps are gone. Running iTunes 7.7 I assume it has something to do with the new Itunes software and that the 2.0 update since I have successfully restored the apps before.

DaveGee
Jul 10, 2008, 10:13 AM
So us scum that jailbroke our devices, stuck the iPhone apps on and are only now switching over to get these apps legally get a better deal than those that paid back in January? Something about that seems wrong. Not that I'm doubting you but I think Apple may meed to have a rethink on its pricing policies in future...

Well... to put this ever so bluntly you STOLE the applications that the others legally paid for...

That being said... yes someone who has an iPod prior to the JSU and chose not to pay the $20 software update free and now getting everything that was in the JSU **plus** all the nifty thing 2.0 gives us ALL for $9.99..

BUT thats how the software industry works.... If you were an Adobe Photoshop user from v1.0 and paid for each and every update that came along up till today you paid a HECK of a lot more than someone who just purchases the latest Photoshop.

Difference is the user who paid more have had the 'pleasure' (ahem) of owning Photoshop for a longer period of time than the person who just purchased it yesterday.

Dave

smiddlehurst
Jul 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
Well... to put this ever so bluntly you STOLE the applications that the others legally paid for...

That being said... yes someone who has an iPod prior to the JSU and chose not to pay the $20 software update free and now getting everything that was in the JSU **plus** all the nifty thing 2.0 gives us ALL for $9.99..

BUT thats how the software industry works.... If you were an Adobe Photoshop user from v1.0 and paid for each and every update that came along up till today you paid a HECK of a lot more than someone who just purchases the latest Photoshop.

Difference is the user who paid more have had the 'pleasure' (ahem) of owning Photoshop for a longer period of time than the person who just purchased it yesterday.

Dave

Presumably that's the sort of 'pleasure' that you normally associate with having your head stuck in a vice and all your fingers broken with a sledgehammer? Why yes, I have been using Photoshop for a while, why do you ask? ;)

The funny thing was I was expecting to pay for both the JSU and the V2.0 firmware as I'd always planned on doing so as soon as I had no need of jailbreaking my iPod. Oh well, such is life I guess. Still wish we knew why Apple decided not to include the apps from the JSU in the original iPod Touch build... as it really worth the headaches just to try and create an expanded market for the iPhone?