PDA

View Full Version : Google Mobile App -What is it?

Funbags
Jul 10, 2008, 09:08 AM
I was browsing itunes and download apps in hopes of getting the iPhone tomorrow. What exact is the google mobile app? Did anyone try it?

Sky Blue
Jul 10, 2008, 09:11 AM
looks like it's a iPhone front end for google

t0mat0
Jul 10, 2008, 09:12 AM
Any word on a version for the UK store? Or do we need to go the the web page, then make an icon from that?

tomccabe
Jul 10, 2008, 09:15 AM
just got it installed. very simple, clean app for google web/image/news/shopping/WIKIPEDIA (!!!)

edit: oh wait...it has a spotlight type search function as you type. really really nice.

Funbags
Jul 10, 2008, 09:17 AM
So no Gtalk eh?

heyp
Jul 29, 2008, 04:11 PM
i don't understand the purpose of this app... somebody sell me that its better than just having a google web clip on the homepage

SFC Archer
Jul 29, 2008, 04:15 PM
I dumped it...What a waste....I reloaded the Google Web App and it has search right there. It is a total waste of space on your drive!

AHDuke99
Jul 29, 2008, 04:26 PM
I hope they add gtalk to it in the future. Right now it's pretty useless.

dacreativeguy
Jul 29, 2008, 04:34 PM
i don't understand the purpose of this app... somebody sell me that its better than just having a google web clip on the homepage

It searches your contacts and other databases on the phone as well. It is spotlight-like.

Tardyon
Jul 29, 2008, 05:07 PM

It has a link to gtalk under more. Native Gtalk will be hard until the iphone allows background applications, or gtalk and the iphone can work together with a push aspect.

wronski
Jul 29, 2008, 06:58 PM
I think it's nice. Waste of space? All 600 kb?

cloudnine
Jul 29, 2008, 07:05 PM
I dumped it...What a waste....I reloaded the Google Web App and it has search right there. It is a total waste of space on your drive!

I know! I can't believe they wasted an entire 663kb of space! Dear Lord!
:rolleyes:

spamdumpster
Jul 29, 2008, 07:37 PM

Try palringo.

spyker3292
Jul 29, 2008, 09:10 PM
I know! I can't believe they wasted an entire 663kb of space! Dear Lord!

Well.. it wastes a spot on a page.

cloudnine
Aug 3, 2008, 12:21 PM
Well.. it wastes a spot on a page.

OMG I know! Can you believe that?! You can have 9 or 10 pages full of apps and Google wastes that ONE SPOT... IT'S THE WORST THING IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND OMG WTF OMG!!!!11~

._.

Badandy
Aug 3, 2008, 12:39 PM
It searches your contacts and other databases on the phone as well. It is spotlight-like.

That's not true. Just contacts, that's it. No calendar, no email, no files, no applications, no nothing.

It's a worthless app, and I really want APPLE Spotlight to come...

distinctweb
Aug 5, 2008, 01:57 AM
The program has one main feature that blows the Safari search bar away:
- Search results update as you type. This saves a lot of time and gets you exactly what you are looking for in less clicks.

One concern I had was that it doesn't retain your search once it launches Safari with the results. What it actually does it creates 2 levels of history in the new browser window that can be navigated back to with the "<" button.
First press of back: returns to Google search results within Safari
Second press of back: returns to Google Mobile in same state as it left

There are settings in Under Settings/Google Mobile if you don't want it to search contacts.

It's a quick install. Try it next time you have to search and tell me it isn't quicker than using Safari.