PDA

View Full Version : who would you like to most meet on macrumors?

jefhatfield
May 16, 2002, 12:32 AM
i want to meet mischief because even though i have seen him many times at the mac store i used to frequent, i can't place his face

mac15
May 16, 2002, 12:38 AM
I would like to meet beej
we email each other all the time and exchange softw......woops:D

MacAztec
May 16, 2002, 12:49 AM
I would like to meet Eyelikeart, and AlphaTech. They both seem like pretty cool guys.

jipper
May 16, 2002, 01:09 AM
i would like to meet jipper because he types sexy and he would be sexy.

oops... you can tell who wrote this right?
:eek:

oh well! i'd like to meet arn and congratulate him on maintaining an unreal site. Keep up the good work!!!

cleo
May 16, 2002, 10:03 AM
B2TM, Dukestreet, and Beej.

Oh, and Macette. :D

mcrain
May 16, 2002, 10:16 AM
Jefhatfield, Bactothemac, alphatech, arn, dukestreet all seem like good people to meet and talk with.

A close second place would be cleo and macette... LOL, I'm only kidding.

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 10:24 AM
I don't want to place favorites, cause I'll leave someone out. I think that everyone I respond to on a regular basis would be worth meeting, put a face to a name.

Cleo, I'll be down in St. Pete over xmas, we might have to meet at Moon Under Water for a Bass.

And if anyone is up in DC, let me know, we have beer here too http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/beer.gif

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 10:27 AM
Ok, why won't my images post inline? That's so weird, they were working a few days ago, anyone know?

Ensign Paris
May 16, 2002, 10:30 AM
I would like to meet Arn, mostly because I want to learn how to manage a PHP/SQL site (I have been trying for weeks :))

I don't really mind who else I meet as long as they are mac heads :)

Blakespot also sounds pretty cool, wicked hifi and a cool collection of mac stuff. Also he seems to be able to get his hands on alot of money :)

I also want to meet these people - http://www.macrumors.com/forums/memberlist.php3?s=&what=topposters&perpage=3000

Ensign

cleo
May 16, 2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Cleo, I'll be down in St. Pete over xmas, we might have to meet at Moon Under Water for a Bass.

Rock on, I'm there. (Where the hell did I pick up this "rock on" bit?)

Anyway, did you ever see where I posted about high school? I went to Pinellas Park. Where'd your wife go?

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by cleo

Rock on, I'm there. (Where the hell did I pick up this "rock on" bit?)

Anyway, did you ever see where I posted about high school? I went to Pinellas Park. Where'd your wife go?

Pinellas Park, but she graduated in 80, I think. Her mom taught there till 88, so you probably don't know them. But it is funny you went to the same high school.

agreenster
May 16, 2002, 11:08 AM
I would probably most likely want to meet JefHatfield. He lives in Silicon Valley and is very level-headed. Im just now starting to get back to MacRumors (after about a 3 month hiatus) so I dont know many people here. I think Alpha and Duke are cool.

cleo
May 16, 2002, 11:12 AM

Pinellas Park, but she graduated in 80, I think. Her mom taught there till 88, so you probably don't know them. But it is funny you went to the same high school.

Ha, that's crazy. Yeah, I graduated in '98, so I wouldn't know them... but man, what a small world!

Backtothemac
May 16, 2002, 11:26 AM
:rolleyes:

Well there are so many people, I agree that everyone that is regulars here would be cool, but here goes.

Eye, Dukestreet, Jeff, Mcrain, arn, blakespot, agreenster, alex, man, everyone really. I don't want leave anyone out, so, everyone I post to on a regular basis.

Oh,
Especially Cleo and Macette.....

My wife agrees on that one..... :cool:

cleo
May 16, 2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Oh,

LOL. I love how flashing the lesbian card gets me into all the cool clubs these days... :D

Backtothemac
May 16, 2002, 11:37 AM

LOL. I love how flashing the lesbian card gets me into all the cool clubs these days... :D

Look at it this way....

Men love you, and women want to be you...:D

eyelikeart
May 16, 2002, 11:45 AM

u mean that doesn't work all of the time?! ;)

as for who I want to meet....I agree with duke on not wanting to leave anyone out...

but my list goes like this: Arn, jefhatfield, AlphaTech, MacAztec, mischief, Back2theMac, EnsignParis, iGAV, jelloshotsrule...I know I'm forgetting someone else here...

DC, Boston & San Francisco on my lists of "Places To Go"...

but I will be taking a Florida tour on the 1st of June...he he he...:D

eyelikeart
May 16, 2002, 11:56 AM
I was kind of hoping the Geek Fest New Orleans thing would bring out some of u guys....but it's not seeming to really take off at this point... :(

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

but my list goes like this: Arn, jefhatfield, AlphaTech, MacAztec, mischief, Back2theMac, EnsignParis, iGAV...I know I'm forgetting someone...

yeah, that would be me. :p

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 12:09 PM
Eye, Dukestreet, Jeff, Mcrain, arn, blakespot, agreenster, alex, man, everyone really. I don't want leave anyone out, so, everyone I post to on a regular basis.

hot damn! i can't make anyone's list! haha. even with as a golfing partner... jeez.

and cleo- can't even give props to a fellow vegetarian...

perhaps if i ran around here naked i'd get some more attention. not that that sort of attention would be a "good" kind though... ha..

eyelikeart
May 16, 2002, 12:26 PM
but my list goes like this: Arn, jefhatfield, AlphaTech, MacAztec, mischief, Back2theMac, EnsignParis, iGAV, jelloshotsrule...I know I'm forgetting someone else here...

how's this jello??? :p :D :cool: ;)

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 01:42 PM

how's this jello??? :p :D :cool: ;)

haha. ok. one person's made up for it... one down, x to go... haha

eyelikeart
May 16, 2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

haha. ok. one person's made up for it... one down, x to go... haha

now if u will notice in the original post....your name is the only which is in bold ;)

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 02:03 PM

now if u will notice in the original post....your name is the only which is in bold ;)

well now i just feel bad... you've gone to all that effort... BUT. only cause i brought it to your attention... ouch! haha

well then, i'd LOVE to meet EYELIKEART!!!! whoo!!!! :p

eyelikeart
May 16, 2002, 02:09 PM
well then, i'd LOVE to meet EYELIKEART!!!! whoo!!!! :p

well then my work here is done...

and my week has been made.... ;)

ps: any takers on New Orleans?! it's looking damned skimpy in the thread...:(

Backtothemac
May 16, 2002, 02:11 PM
Sorry.... I am just hung over on Jelloshots:cool:

eyelikeart
May 16, 2002, 02:19 PM
Sorry.... I am just hung over on Jelloshots:cool:

now that was bad man...ha ha ha...

I think Beej should give u a corny award on that one! :D :eek:

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 02:37 PM

well then my work here is done...

and my week has been made.... ;)

ps: any takers on New Orleans?! it's looking damned skimpy in the thread...:(

even though i expressed how much i want to meet you, i won't be making it to the get together...

i think you'd all tend to get a little too drunk for my liking.

and the post after yours proves it (ie, back2damac's comments on jelloshots)... haha.

drunken geeks. that'd be kinda funny. but perhaps not worth the trip... haha. booyah

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 02:46 PM

drunken geeks. that'd be kinda funny. but perhaps not worth the trip... haha. booyah

I had some of those sitting behind me in the movie last night. Pretty lame, very loud, I even had to say something to one of them. I couldn't take them all that serious though, they were talking like JarJar Binks and one of them had a JarJar hand puppet.

eewwww, scary.

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 02:49 PM

I had some of those sitting behind me in the movie last night. Pretty lame, very loud, I even had to say something to one of them. I couldn't take them all that serious though, they were talking like JarJar Binks and one of them had a JarJar hand puppet.

eewwww, scary.

yikes. good think old man dukey was there to set them straight.... haha :p

how old were these drunken geeks?

nothing is scarier than a drunken frat bro though... i mean, dangerous to everyone, especially the ladies... but hey, they could drink me under the table! ha

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 02:53 PM

yikes. good think old man dukey was there to set them straight.... haha :p

how old were these drunken geeks?

nothing is scarier than a drunken frat bro though... i mean, dangerous to everyone, especially the ladies... but hey, they could drink me under the table! ha

I'm thinking they were drunken frat boys. Probably early 20s and some of the comments from one indicated that he was ready to make a scene. Ha, it would never have gotten that far. Its bad enough they were immature, but they were stupid drunks as well. Oh, well, I'll probably not see them ever again, so I don't care. They did detract from the overall movie experience

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking they were drunken frat boys. Probably early 20s and some of the comments from one indicated that he was ready to make a scene. Ha, it would never have gotten that far. Its bad enough they were immature, but they were stupid drunks as well. Oh, well, I'll probably not see them ever again, so I don't care. They did detract from the overall movie experience

why wouldn't it have gone further? did you have big bad back 2 da mac there in all his 6'7 glory to watch your back? hahaha...

sounds like fun. reminds me of when i used to live in the floors under the frats at school. and every weekend we'd hear em outside our room, walking to the stairs... the security would shut down the elevator to discourage folks from going up to the frat floors (8th floor and up) so it was like clockwork...

drunken idiots rule.

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 04:45 PM
Somehow they had seen the movie the night before - a friend worked at the theater or something, so they kept talking about it, ruined a couple of minor things. In general, a-O's. My wife was ready to turn around a smack them at one point, it could have got ugly....

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 06:16 PM
Somehow they had seen the movie the night before - a friend worked at the theater or something, so they kept talking about it, ruined a couple of minor things. In general, a-O's. My wife was ready to turn around a smack them at one point, it could have got ugly....

she should've gone to freaking town on them. that'd have been great....

one time my girlfriend got bumped into by drunken fools at an orioles game. she kinda went off on them. it was funny. of course i was cowering behind her... haha

cleo
May 16, 2002, 10:03 PM
Jelloshotsrule, for being a fellow green and veggie and generally decent human being. :D

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 10:10 PM
Jelloshotsrule, for being a fellow green and veggie and generally decent human being. :D

not sure i would go as far as saying "generally decent"... ha.

thanks for the addendum.

maybe i'll not mention a few people purposely and then go back and include them later and hope they're not crushed.... haha. :p

Beej
May 16, 2002, 11:07 PM
I don't want to pick out a single person, because I'd really love to meet almost everyone here. But I'm going to have to say I'd love to meet Cleo. Because, you know, I think I love her and all! :p

Macette
May 16, 2002, 11:34 PM
Oh,

At once?

Hmmm.

I wanna meet Cleo.
And the other Melbourne people. Because Melbourne and Macs go together like... like a ;) and a :)
teehee

Beej
May 16, 2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Macette

At once?

Hmmm.

I wanna meet Cleo.
And the other Melbourne people. Because Melbourne and Macs go together like... like a ;) and a :)
teehee I'd love to meet you, but you kinda scare me! ;) With thinking everything is so cute and all!

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Macette
Because Melbourne and Macs go together like... like a ;) and a :)
teehee

now is that a bold statement or is it not?! :eek:

resm
May 17, 2002, 09:17 AM
Jelloshotsrule, for being a fellow green and veggie and generally decent human being. :D [/QUOTE]

Ayoooohhhh......I'm Vegetarian tooooo.....doe's this get me in to Cleo's Club ? :)

Macmaniac
May 17, 2002, 09:23 AM
I would like to visit Ensign Paris because he is 15 and he lives in England(I love England my dads from there) I am also 15 so we could talk about stuff that us "kids" like to talk about.

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 09:24 AM
I will admit that I do love meat....mostly chicken & fish though...rarely I do red meat...don't flame me...but last night I actually had fillet mignon...can u say deelish?! :D

but for vegetarianism...I'm definitely down with it....I eat a lot of soy & vegetable products...

some call it "fake meat"...but soy is damed good if u prepare it well...

I do know that if I had to resort to being a strict vegetarian...I probably could do it with minimal problems...

but I do get the craving for a good blackened tuna steak every now & then...he he he :D

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by resm

Ayoooohhhh......I'm Vegetarian tooooo.....doe's this get me in to Cleo's Club ? :) [/QUOTE]

more than likely. after all, it's a small club now, so we are always looking for new members. though, i won't speak on behalf of our founder, the great, wise, veggie eating, green party supporting, powerdyke being, CLEO!

ha.

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 09:29 AM
I will admit that I do love meat....mostly chicken & fish though...rarely I do red meat...don't flame me...but last night I actually had fillet mignon...can u say deelish?! :D

but for vegetarianism...I'm definitely down with it....I eat a lot of soy & vegetable products...

some call it "fake meat"...but soy is damed good if u prepare it well...

I do know that if I had to resort to being a strict vegetarian...I probably could do it with minimal problems...

but I do get the craving for a good blackened tuna steak every now & then...he he he :D

there are those odd people who think that as a veggie you can eat fish. obviously it's a personal thing so there's no rules... i never really liked veggies, then stopped eating meat and never had any problem. it's much easier than one might expect. fake meat is quite tasty. i don't really eat it cause i miss meat, as much as meat is a part of certain simple meals, like hot dogs or sandwiches, which is popular with me (college student). also, the soy gives us some protein we might be otherwise missing without meat.

oh, and this might make me unpopular with veggies, but i do eat free range meat (though with heavy heart, and rarely). my mom gets it for thanksgiving and i'd hate to let her down. it's damn expensive and she has to go like 45 mins away to get it...

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 09:46 AM
there are those odd people who think that as a veggie you can eat fish. obviously it's a personal thing so there's no rules... i never really liked veggies, then stopped eating meat and never had any problem. it's much easier than one might expect. fake meat is quite tasty. i don't really eat it cause i miss meat, as much as meat is a part of certain simple meals, like hot dogs or sandwiches, which is popular with me (college student). also, the soy gives us some protein we might be otherwise missing without meat.

soy is very good for u...I drink soy protein supplement shakes with breakfast often & also after my workouts...very high in protein...low in fat & carbs...

I like the vegetable-meats also...my favorite is the sausage u can buy...very....very good...

I also like tofu...there's a middle-eastern/kosher restaurant around here that has the most unbelievable desserts....no one can believe they are made from tofu when I tell them... :D

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 09:52 AM
soy is very good for u...I drink soy protein supplement shakes with breakfast often & also after my workouts...very high in protein...low in fat & carbs...

I like the vegetable-meats also...my favorite is the sausage u can buy...very....very good...

I also like tofu...there's a middle-eastern/kosher restaurant around here that has the most unbelievable desserts....no one can believe they are made from tofu when I tell them... :D

there's also been reports that soy has been linked to bad things (possibly cancer, though i forget specifics)... but then again, there's reports of that about everything...

i like pretty much all morningstar farms products. the fake hot dogs are great. fake lunch meats are good. i'm currently working on a package of "bologna"... haha. that's funny since bologna is barely even meat to begin with... ha. i haven't tried many tofu desserts though i've heard they're good.

the key is one meal at a time (at least at first). no matter how much you crave something meaty, if you just eat and get full, you won't really care anymore... haha. simple as that.

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 10:09 AM

the key is one meal at a time (at least at first). no matter how much you crave something meaty, if you just eat and get full, you won't really care anymore... haha. simple as that.

Sorry, dissagree with that one. I love food, all types, but once in a while a steak on the bbq, marinated in something simple, olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh minced garlic, mmm, now that's just tasty.

Tuna steaks are great too, tuna in sushi, oh, damn, I'm getting hungry.....

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 10:13 AM
Sorry, dissagree with that one. I love food, all types, but once in a while a steak on the bbq, marinated in something simple, olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh minced garlic, mmm, now that's just tasty.

don't get me wrong. i'm not a vegetarian who says "i can't even stand the smell of meat"... heck, there was a steak place right outside my window in nyc and it was killer, it smelled so good.

i'm just saying if you WANT to become a vegetarian (not that anyone said they did), it's quite easy. of course steak is good. but i don't need it and since i don't want to support it, i don't. and i don't really miss out. kinda like drinking/smoking/etc. i don't think i miss out. it's all just tools for having fun/enjoying myself. and i think i can do a good enough job without it all.

crack however..... goooood stuff. ha :)

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 10:24 AM
I lived with a gourmet chef for almost 2 years. I can tell you, there was no way I could have gone V, no way. I'd pick out the wine, he'd whip something up, every night of the week.

We're still good friends and we go over for dinner every once in a while, maybe once a month.

But there are a lot of things you can do as a veggie and still eat damn good food. Indian Veggie is some of my favorite. Saag? Bangan Bharta? yum.

I think I'll go get some Bangladeshi Kabbabs for lunch today.

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 10:27 AM
I lived with a gourmet chef for almost 2 years. I can tell you, there was no way I could have gone V, no way. I'd pick out the wine, he'd whip something up, every night of the week.

We're still good friends and we go over for dinner every once in a while, maybe once a month.

But there are a lot of things you can do as a veggie and still eat damn good food. Indian Veggie is some of my favorite. Saag? Bangan Bharta? yum.

I think I'll go get some Bangladeshi Kabbabs for lunch today.

well you say that, but you don't have the desire/beliefs that would drive you to want to become a vegetarian. that's really the key. i mean, as you said, there's tons of good veggie food, especially from different cultures.

i lived eating meat for about 9 months after i had decided i didn't want to, because i lived with just my mom, and there was no way she'd cook 2 meals every night. then i went to school and could eat what i wanted, and it was very easy. but the key is that i had decided already that it was the right thing to do.

enjoy the kabbabs. i think i'll have some... something. ha

Ensign Paris
May 17, 2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I would like to visit Ensign Paris because he is 15 and he lives in England(I love England my dads from there) I am also 15 so we could talk about stuff that us "kids" like to talk about.

sweet, let me know when your in little old england :)

Ensign

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 10:33 AM

oh hell yeah!! that's exactly what I had for dinner last night at dad's house...

he does a pretty good steak...he actually sauteÚd whole garlic cloves in a bit of olive oil...damn it was good...I like to spread the garlic over bread...

Morning Star has some good stuff....great veggie burgers....I also like the Boca Burgers...they have good soy "chicken"...

I agree on the meal thing with jello...but for me it's smaller meals more often then less larger meals...I think that's part of why I'm able to keep my metabolism up...or at least that's what everyone always says...

what sucks, though, is that I usually end up going to bed hungry...so when the morning comes the first thing I do is go eat!! he he he...
:D

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 10:33 AM
My whole point is that I enjoy all the flavors/textures/tastes of the eating experience, I really don't want to limit myself. I don't have a problem with any one else being a Vegan, Vegitarian, etc. So its nothing personal against you, cleo and the others in the V-Club.:D

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 10:36 AM
My whole point is that I enjoy all the flavors/textures/tastes of the eating experience, I really don't want to limit myself. I don't have a problem with any one else being a Vegan, Vegitarian, etc. So its nothing personal against you, cleo and the others in the V-Club.:D

but i mean... it's not limiting myself based on something i "don't like". it's based on beliefs. i don't think we should treat the animals the way they do. that's basically it. if there were some way to have those flavors/textures/tastes without the killing/factory farming/etc, i'd be first in line...

i know it's nothing personal, we're just basically arguing around a ball bouncing going nowhere since we aren't disagreeing, but rather saying different sides of an issue that's not totally the same... we just need a big old dog to come up and grab this crazy ball away and chew it up. stop the bouncing!

bounce with me don't bounce against me.

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 10:39 AM

I'm the same way...I definitely do not limit myself on what types of foods I'll eat...there are some things I just won't eat...but I love trying new stuff...

moreso...it's about what's healthy for me...which is why I turn to some vegetarian dishes...but again I am a meat lover...he he he ;)

hopefully I'll find another woman who enjoys sipping new wines over new & exotic cuisines... :D

cleo
May 17, 2002, 02:16 PM
Seriously, all the good convos happen when I'm away. Hrmph.

I personally eat very few "meat substitutes" for three reasons. One, I have been vegetarian for more years than not, and fake meat that tastes too much like real meat just creeps me out. I like Boca burgers, but I can only get about half of one down before taking the "meat" off the bun. :) Two, I eat an extremely low-sodium diet (the RDA is 2000 mg, I eat around 400) which is nearly impossible with processed foods. Third (and this is getting into what jello's talking about with beliefs), I try to eat as much locally produced, organically grown food as possible in protest of the way the global food system works.

As far as fish goes... living in Florida, it's almost a social sin not to like seafood, and truth be told, I really do love it. I will not eat any fish that is not local. So, maybe twice a year I will eat fish that has been caught and cooked by friends, usually grouper or snapper.

My main struggle with being vegetarian is green bell peppers. They are the one food that I just cannot stomach - I can't even stand the smell of them - which is difficult, because many vegetarian dishes in restaurants are chock full of them. In fact, my mother thought I was the pickiest eater in th world until I was like 10, when she realized that all of the things I refused to eat had green peppers. :D

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 02:23 PM
As far as fish goes... living in Florida, it's almost a social sin not to like seafood, and truth be told, I really do love it. I will not eat any fish that is not local. So, maybe twice a year I will eat fish that has been caught and cooked by friends, usually grouper or snapper.

I think its been a bit of a tradition for my wife and I to go get a Blackened Grouper Sandwich out at the beach every time we go down to St. Pete. I don't remember the names of the places, sorry Cleo. But grouper is one of my favorite fish. My brother lives down in Ft. Lauderdale and has a boat. Every time I go and visit we spend a day fishing around the area, been up to Boca and down to the Seven Mile bridge in the keys for lobster hunting. Good time. But he's also a Culinary Institute of America grad (making him a chef, although he doesn't do that any more) and he used to whip up some grouper when ever we would catch some, mmmm. Good thing I had a big lunch.....

cleo
May 17, 2002, 02:35 PM

I think its been a bit of a tradition for my wife and I to go get a Blackened Grouper Sandwich out at the beach every time we go down to St. Pete. I don't remember the names of the places, sorry Cleo. But grouper is one of my favorite fish. My brother lives down in Ft. Lauderdale and has a boat. Every time I go and visit we spend a day fishing around the area, been up to Boca and down to the Seven Mile bridge in the keys for lobster hunting. Good time. But he's also a Culinary Institute of America grad (making him a chef, although he doesn't do that any more) and he used to whip up some grouper when ever we would catch some, mmmm. Good thing I had a big lunch.....

Ugh, now I want a grouper sandwich too! The best is The Hurricane - down on Pass-a-Grille Beach south of the Don Cesar - it's legendary. They also make a "Kahlua Colada" that is to die for. :D

mcrain
May 17, 2002, 02:37 PM
Seriously, all the good convos happen when I'm away. Hrmph.

I personally eat very few "meat substitutes" for three reasons. One, I have been vegetarian for more years than not, and fake meat that tastes too much like real meat just creeps me out.

Two, I eat an extremely low-sodium diet (the RDA is 2000 mg, I eat around 400) which is nearly impossible with processed foods.

That will teach you never to leave.

I bet your girlfriend wouldn't like you talking about her like that. ;)

Watch the low sodium diet. If you get too low, you can easily become as sick, or sicker than someone who eats too much salt. Remember, sodium is a NECESSARY component of your nerve cells (can you say brain), and if you do not have enough sodium for your sodium channels, you can't think. You might want to ask your doctor about the amount of sodium you should eat "at a minimum." Remember too, that the RDA is not a "maximum" but a minimum. You might be making yourself sick with that diet.

I don't like green peppers either, but I do eat them, but in limited quantaties.

(Cleo - fyi, I think it's fantastic that you're around to give us foolish guys a girls opinion, and I also think your amazing for being proud of who you are. So, if anything I ever say bothers you, just tell me, cause I certainly don't mean to offend you. I'm all for girl power)

mcrain
May 17, 2002, 02:39 PM
I completely forgot, my wife spent a little over six weeks in Tampa at the Cancer center doing a derm rotation at USF. She would call me after her rotation from the beaches down there to tell me how rough her day had been. (I of course was here in the cold listening to her complain about it being rough in florida)

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 02:40 PM
Maybe when I come down there, we'll go get a Bass and a blackened gouper, there's nothing like it up north here in DC. Although we do have a good selection of seafood and a wonderful seafood market right on the waterfront in DC. If my backyard wasn't a staging area for the contractors (putting in a new bathroom basement) I'd be rolling out the grill for dinner. Looking at the sky out the window though, it probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway, looks like a storm is brewing.

cleo
May 17, 2002, 02:46 PM
Re: Sodium, yeah, it's actually my doctor's call. I have bad circulation problems and really have to watch for swelling around my joints, especially in the summer (which, I might add, it has now been for two months. damned global warming.) :D During the winter I eat a bit more salt, and at all times am listening to what my docs have to say. The thing is, once you get used to not eating a lot of salt, something with added salt tastes horrendous. For example, I usually make my own veggie stock for soups, etc, but needed some in a hurry the other day and didn't have any in the freezer, so I went up to the store and got some canned vegetable broth... holy frickin' crap, it was like drinking seawater! Bleh.

Last year a briefly dated a girl who loved saltt and was diabetic. That didn't last long. :D

cleo
May 17, 2002, 02:48 PM
Looking at the sky out the window though, it probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway, looks like a storm is brewing.

Send some of it our way! Tampa has gotten rain the past few days, but it just dries up over the bay and never makes it this far. It's shaping up to be a nasty fire season once again... :(

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 03:03 PM
fake meat:

it's a good protein packer for those who are finding it hard to get protein after giving up meat.

as i said, it's more about the ease than anything else. there's a couple meat meals that are really simple and easy (good for college students) and so the fakey subs of these are good for me. eg. hot dogs and lunch meats.

i toss the soy crumble stuff into things like spaghetti sauce an chili to give it a bit more heartiness...

there there's just the old meat meal that i miss and when my mom offers to make it meatless, i can't pass it up... eg. pigs in the blanket (stuffed cabbage)... it's great with fake meat.

and as i said, meat doesn't make me sick, in fact i don't find the animal eating itself wrong, after all i'm catholic and the animals were put here for the humans to some extent... but i believe we can do without it, and thus why have to kill an animal to live. plus the factory farming, which is the main issue. and factory fishing can be nearly as ugly. so it's all about local/organic and such... blah. too long of talking

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 03:16 PM
the fake meats are just to add some variety to my dieting...

I honestly love the flavoring of some veggie burgers...and when u cook them in a skillet over the stove....damn....tastey!!!

the soy is the same way for me...it's just variety...and to do something different...up till about 8 months ago I was completely for ground turkey rather then beef, turkey sausage rather than pork, turkey breakfast sausage...u get the idea...

then I discovered the varieties of veggie & soy products available...and me being as health-conscious as I am...gave them a shot...needless to say...I'd prefer to eat them for their health benefits over anything else...but I do like them a lot...besides...it's fun to get "creative" with your cooking... :D

Backtothemac
May 17, 2002, 03:41 PM
Wow, this has turned into Mac and Foods.... ;)

I respect your opinion Cleo, and think it is cool that you are a vegi. My question, well, statement, is I hope that you are not one of those nuts that say no one should eat meat.

Me personally, I love meat, but hey, I am no were near as healthy as you. People that are my size have to sustain their bodies with high amounts of protien. If I did not, then I would have trouble maintaining any muscle tissue at all. Being 6'6 and 275, it is hard enough to keep mucsle mass on as it is.

Anyway, I agree with Ted Nuget on eating. Grow it, or kill it. The problem with food today is all of the steroids, and crap that they put in the food.

just my 2 cents.

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 03:50 PM
The problem with food today is all of the steroids, and crap that they put in the food.

now that's very true...there are things the govt. doesn't want u to know that they do to food....<sigh>...

but the question arises...what are u going to do about the meats then?!

I think it's going to be a bit tough to find meats specifically "steroid-free" without having to pay a heavy premium... :(

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 03:55 PM
now that's very true...there are things the govt. doesn't want u to know that they do to food....<sigh>...

I think it's going to be a bit tough to find meats specifically "steroid-free" without having to pay a heavy premium... :(

well that's where organic food/meats come into play. the problem is it's pretty easy to get this label and recently they made it easier... so one has to do some decent research, or go to the farm itself... which is not possible usually.

one other problem with meat in general is that it is so heavily subsidized by the gov't that it makes other things that much more expensive. think about it. how much grain does it take to feed a cow til the age it is able to be killed and eaten, as compared to how much food the cow itself provides...

and then consider cost. how much is the grain costing to feed it, and how much does it cost to then buy the cow. the only way the meat can be affordable is subsidization (other than hunting....) thus, with the amount of grain it takes to feed an animal in order to then kill and use as food, one could feed many more people.

and milk is bad for chemicals too. a cow these days (with the drugs) produces like 10 times the amount of milk it can really naturally make... that doesn't make me feel good drinking milk

Backtothemac
May 17, 2002, 04:03 PM

A cold morning......Bow and arrow......A tree to climb.....Now I have enough "steroid free" meat to last me and my family for 6 months :p

I hunt with a Bow, because it is that way that I was tought. I have never hunted with a gun, becuase, well, it isn't fair. Anyone can kill a deer with a gun, but to kill one with a Bow.... well, it is spiritual. For us redmen anyway ;)

Deer has no fat, no collestoral (SP), very high in protein, no chemicals, nothing bad.

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 04:04 PM
that's why I don't bother trying to keep up on it...too much hassle...

now this will come off as lazy...but until we start seeing some actual proof that people are getting sick or suffering some weird side-effects....I'm not going to worry about it...

we have no idea how long we've been subject to strange or dangerous ***** from the govt.... :rolleyes: :eek:

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 04:05 PM

Deer has no fat, no collestoral (SP), very high in protein, no chemicals, nothing bad.

actually...have u ever tried ostrich?? it's FULL of protein...very....very lean... ;)

cleo
May 17, 2002, 04:07 PM

I respect your opinion Cleo, and think it is cool that you are a vegi. My question, well, statement, is I hope that you are not one of those nuts that say no one should eat meat.

Yes and no. I do strongly advocate meat-free eating, but not on the basis that the animals have feelings or something like that (while karmic considerations do influence my choices, I'm not going to tell someone else that that's the right path for them, too). After all, humans are carnivores by nature, and it's no use arguing with that. I do think that, however, our current methods of grain-fed meat production 1) are environmentally destructive and unsustainable, 2) use vast quanities of grain that could be put to better use (particularly fuel, but also feeding disadvantaged populations domestically and abroad), and 3) are unbelievably unhealthy, as you have pointed out.

As far as protein consumption, our situations are slightly different (by about 175 lbs :D), but statistically vegetarians get more protein per day then meat eaters, simply because vegetarians have had it drilled into their heads by tsk-tsking grandmothers that we're not getting enough. So veggies are more aware than the general population that you can get protein from a variety of sources other than meat, whereas some meat eaters will have a 6-oz chicken breast and figure they're good to go.

I personally do a soy shake daily that has 21g of protein and 14g of dietary fiber (in fortified oj for vitamin c and calcium :D). There's some really good lentil-based pastas out there, and of course going with whole grains as opposed to refined carbs is a must. Lots o' beans, too. :D

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 04:25 PM
I personally do a soy shake daily that has 21g of protein and 14g of dietary fiber (in fortified oj for vitamin c and calcium :D). There's some really good lentil-based pastas out there, and of course going with whole grains as opposed to refined carbs is a must. Lots o' beans, too. :D

I love lentils!! I also love beans....although one can be flamed the next day at work if he/she is not careful...he he he...

seriously....beans are a great source of protein...I love black & pinto best personally...

also...pro-wheat...all the way!! unless there's only white available...I'm always on wheat....bread, pasta, buckwheat pancakes...there's a place here call BlueBird Cafe that has the best buckwheat pancakes ever!!

this is a bit further off topic...but I also do not eat much cheese....just doesn't help out a whole lot when u do so much to keep it up u know? ;)

ps: I do soy protein shakes w/skim usually everyday...sometimes I do vanilla w/oj...depending on my mood...

and a question cleo...when u do the soy shakes...have u ever had coffee soon after? if so...do u get somewhat of an upset stomach?! I get that...so I was curious if it was just coincidence or something others have...?!! :confused:

Backtothemac
May 17, 2002, 04:26 PM
Eye. One word Emu! I am sure that you have seen them in west Louisiana.

Cleo.
I agree with you pretty much. I think also that it is in our nature to eat meat, for we do have the traits of Carnovores. Also, I intake about 80 grams of protien a day. Right now I am packing on the weight for a very strick workout program for the summer. Have you ever heard of body for life. Go look at the before and after, and it is a contest. 25,000 for your category, and 100,000 for the overall winner. www.bodyforlife.com

It is totally legit, and I know people who have done it and gotten results like the ones shown. Last year I started it, and got injured one month into it. In one month I gained 17 lbs of muscle and lost 10 lbs of fat :D

Can't wait to start the macs and body for life thread in three months.
:cool:

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 04:30 PM
I've never had Emu...how is it??

as for protein consumption in a day...I'm go between 75-100 grams daily....I workout with weights 4 times a week....nothing completely intense...but it's definitely a good workout....

I've accepted that I will never get really big...and that's quite fine with me...I'd rather remain lean...it's taken me about 4 years to get my abs to start showing....personal victory....YEAH ME!!! :D

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 04:51 PM
If you want lean, go moose. Up in Alaska I had the opportunity to have some, there is so little fat you have to adjust the way you cook it, not like regular beef in any way. Buffalo is also pretty good, but its gaining ground in the gourmet burger world.

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 04:55 PM
If you want lean, go moose. Up in Alaska I had the opportunity to have some, there is so little fat you have to adjust the way you cook it, not like regular beef in any way. Buffalo is also pretty good, but its gaining ground in the gourmet burger world.

never done moose....if I can get my hands on some I'll definitely try it out...is it available anywhere in DC??

I haven't done buffalo yet either...I gotta get on the ball man!! ;)

cleo
May 17, 2002, 05:06 PM

and a question cleo...when u do the soy shakes...have u ever had coffee soon after? if so...do u get somewhat of an upset stomach?! I get that...so I was curious if it was just coincidence or something others have...?!! :confused:

Hmmm. I don't drink coffee (I've been caffeine-free for about 4 years, which will likely come to a swift halt when they start selling Vanilla Coke), so I've never had this happen personally. I would imagine that it has something to do with the caffeine and fiber from the shake not getting along, or the cold/hot contrast. Also, if you're doing the shake with OJ, it might be too much acid all at once.

mischief
May 17, 2002, 05:08 PM
Hey!!!

Let's buy a big chunk of Oregon, build a few, simple houses, fence it off with rammed earth and stock it with good stuff like Elk, Oats, Bufalo, Grouse, Trout, etc.

We could do it all with green, renewable resources and use chaotic, naturalist farming techniques (per 1 straw revolution) and wire it up with 802.11g. A naturalist paradise making $$$ through functioning as a retreat for city folk and doing web business in our own right. Just imagine web developing from a TiBook in a Hammock by a stream......... Ahhhhhhhh..........:D ;)

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 05:38 PM

Hmmm. I don't drink coffee (I've been caffeine-free for about 4 years, which will likely come to a swift halt when they start selling Vanilla Coke), so I've never had this happen personally. I would imagine that it has something to do with the caffeine and fiber from the shake not getting along, or the cold/hot contrast. Also, if you're doing the shake with OJ, it might be too much acid all at once.

it's actually when I use the soy & milk...when I use oj I use whey protein (I got it free)...so it's a possibility...I may have to ask around if there any links to the 2 not getting along...

as for vanilla coke...I'd be happy to do the diet version if there is one...he he he:D

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by mischief
Hey!!!

Let's buy a big chunk of Oregon, build a few, simple houses, fence it off with rammed earth and stock it with good stuff like Elk, Oats, Bufalo, Grouse, Trout, etc.

We could do it all with green, renewable resources and use chaotic, naturalist farming techniques (per 1 straw revolution) and wire it up with 802.11g. A naturalist paradise making $$$ through functioning as a retreat for city folk and doing web business in our own right. Just imagine web developing from a TiBook in a Hammock by a stream......... Ahhhhhhhh..........:D ;)

if there were a movement to do such a thing....I think I'd go...

esp. if there were annual pie fights...he he he :D :p

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by mischief
Hey!!!

Well, what would you call this paradise?