PDA

View Full Version : Best song identifier?

ANTMUZ
Jul 10, 2008, 09:54 AM
At last this can be done on the go without having to pay 1 a pop ringing a premium rate line.

I've done a few tests on the only two apps that will tell you the name of the song on the radio/tv.

They are both Shazam and midomi - both available free. Shazam is by far the better looking, but it has fewer functions. Shazam can only listen to actual songs, whereas midomi you can hum, type in lyrics or sing it yourself!

On my test of playing songs direct from iTunes, Shazam wins hands down. 100 of the time, and even got some obscure ones. Midomi did not work at all! But Midomi may come in hand when I feel like singing.

So get both of them, but use Shazam for better results. It's pretty fast over GPRS and Edge as well! Also Shazam says it's free for a limited period, whatever that means.

omniinvoice
May 12, 2009, 08:24 AM
Shazam is better for results. If i have the same version, you have to pay for midomi now, but it also allows you to sing or hum a song.

JonHimself
May 12, 2009, 09:08 AM
I'd go with shazam, I've had no problems with it. For humming/whistling/etc it's neat that midomi does that, but more often than not I am listening to the song (shazam ids it) or I know the lyrics (google ids it). If the situation arose when I needed to hum something or sing it, I would download midomi and use it but not keep it on my device (unless, as said above, it's no longer free... in which case i'd still stick with shazam).

retroneo
May 12, 2009, 09:28 AM
Shazam is amazing. It also keeps a log of all the songs you have heard...

Could never get midomi to ever recognise anything via humming.

Ding.Dong
May 12, 2009, 05:57 PM
I noticed that midomi is now "midomi Ultra" and costs $3. Can anyone who has the app comment on whether the accuracy has improved at all?

MacToddB
May 14, 2009, 06:34 PM
Check this out. Shazam (and Midomi) may be infringing on a patent.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-att-shazam-sued-over-song-id-tech/

jcolehaley
Nov 26, 2011, 07:19 PM
I think Soundhound (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soundhound/id355554941?mt=8) is better than Shazam. I used to have Shazam, and now I have Soundhound.

It ID's music and humming/singing.