PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 Coming Tomorrow, July 11th

sportsfrk214
Jul 10, 2008, 11:05 AM
Apple has issued a press release regarding the U.S. launch of the iPhone 3G tomorrow. Near the end of the release, there is a section called "Availability", which contained the following information.

The App Store will be available beginning today [June 10] via iTunes 7.7 and part of the free iPhone 2.0 software update for all iPhone customers on July 11. iPhone 2.0 is also available for iPod touch users for $9.95.

So it appears the rumors were referring to the release of the App Store only, not the release of the new software. We shall wait one more day :apple:

EDIT: If the press release wasn't enough to seal the deal for you, this should do it.
Backup proof:

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/setup/?referer=INFO&lang=en&deviceClass=iPhone&familyID=10000&softwareVersion=2.0&os=Mac&osVersion=10.5.4& iTunesVersion=7.7

P-Worm
Jul 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
Bummer. I was getting all excited to update my iPod Touch.

P-Worm

MattGTO
Jul 10, 2008, 11:09 AM
:mad:dang it!!!!:mad:

Tallest Skil
Jul 10, 2008, 11:09 AM
So it appears the rumors were referring to the release of the App Store only, not the release of the new software. We shall wait one more day :apple:

Except I have it now. Got it from Apple.com. In the U.S.

Squires
Jul 10, 2008, 11:10 AM
NO!

I Was getting well excited! :(

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

velvetelvis
Jul 10, 2008, 11:11 AM
so, whats the point of the app store coming out if we cant use it?

SirOmega
Jul 10, 2008, 11:12 AM
I put the 2.0 firmware on my phone this morning and I'm trying to get AIM now and it says its not able to purchase the software.... at least the appstore works on the phone now.

Niiro13
Jul 10, 2008, 11:12 AM

Developers.

matperk
Jul 10, 2008, 11:13 AM
Backup proof:

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/setup/?referer=INFO&lang=en&deviceClass=iPhone&familyID=10000&softwareVersion=2.0&os=Mac&osVersion=10.5.4& iTunesVersion=7.7

matperk
Jul 10, 2008, 11:14 AM
I put the 2.0 firmware on my phone this morning and I'm trying to get AIM now and it says its not able to purchase the software.... at least the appstore works on the phone now.

I got aim working on mine. Got 4 apps, facebook and aim for free. Purchased supermonkey ball on iTunes, purchased bomberman on device. Both work fine.

sportsfrk214
Jul 10, 2008, 11:16 AM
It's clear, as people are pointing out, that if you have an iPhone, it is possible for you to get the update right now, but it is not official and some people are supposedly having trouble with it. Better to just wait another day and guarantee a smooth transition to the new software :) Besides, this method of getting the software on the iPhone is also for the iPhone only, it definently won't work if tried on a Touch.

Shot22
Jul 10, 2008, 11:19 AM

So people who get the iPhone today (other countries) can use it, maybe?

Or maybe it's just to torture us....

Riemann Zeta
Jul 10, 2008, 11:21 AM
It is out now. Final, official, GM, whatever you want to call it. Just remember if you are upgrading from 1.1.4, do not use the "update" function, completely wipe and restore your phone without using the 'backup and restore preferences,' otherwise all of you old preferences will be copied back over the new 2.0 files and cause all sorts of quirks and bizarre behavior (this happened to me with the 5a345 B8 firmware).

Tallest Skil
Jul 10, 2008, 11:23 AM
it definently won't work if tried on a Touch.

There is only one Software 2.0. Unless Apple lied to us.

Auzburner
Jul 10, 2008, 11:25 AM
That sucks, glad I've got it downloaded and installed on my iPhone!

Alan Taylor
Jul 10, 2008, 11:25 AM
It is out now. Final, official, GM, whatever you want to call it. Just remember if you are upgrading from 1.1.4, do not use the "update" function, completely wipe and restore your phone without using the 'backup and restore preferences,' otherwise all of you old preferences will be copied back over the new 2.0 files and cause all sorts of quirks and bizarre behavior (this happened to me with the 5a345 B8 firmware).

So we would loose all of our SMS conversations? I'd rather not :/

MattGTO
Jul 10, 2008, 11:27 AM

Explain to me how to get it on a Touch then.

sportsfrk214
Jul 10, 2008, 11:28 AM

Well the two softwares wouldn't be the same, because 2.0 needs to support phone features for the iPhone. I could be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure there are some differences.

But regardless, it costs $10 to get the one for the Touch. Therefore, this method would not work.

SirOmega
Jul 10, 2008, 11:29 AM
So we would loose all of our SMS conversations? I'd rather not :/

Sync before you update.

Then do the "Restore" option. Thats what I did and my phone works. Though my sync was from a week ago so I lost about a week of SMS convos. No biggie though.

arkitect
Jul 10, 2008, 11:29 AM

Easy.
Wait until it gets released.

:o

sportsfrk214
Jul 10, 2008, 11:31 AM

Log on to your computer at 8 am tomorrow morning, and plug your iPod in. Install software 2.0.

:rolleyes:

MattGTO
Jul 10, 2008, 11:37 AM
I guess this is gonna be running for a while...I needed something specific :D

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6026/noname2rp3.jpg

dlmart2
Jul 10, 2008, 11:55 AM
It's clear, as people are pointing out, that if you have an iPhone, it is possible for you to get the update right now, but it is not official and some people are supposedly having trouble with it. Better to just wait another day and guarantee a smooth transition to the new software :) Besides, this method of getting the software on the iPhone is also for the iPhone only, it definently won't work if tried on a Touch.

The only trouble I've seen being reported is people not knowing how to update it using the manual method because they don't read the information people have posted. Other than that..it works great.

I upgraded with no problems whatsoever.

mitchellr1705
Jul 10, 2008, 11:58 AM
New Zealand goes on sale tonight for us so maybe that relates to some people in the world AND us

velvetelvis
Jul 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
installed and running. gonna go play some super monkey ball now...

oh, and bother my wife with saber sounds...

Zoboomafoo
Jul 10, 2008, 12:06 PM
installed and running. gonna go play some super monkey ball now...

oh, and bother my wife with saber sounds...

there's an app whose sole function is to make light saber sounds when you wave the phone?

that's ... awesome. useless, but awesome.

now, to make a phone that says "these are not the droids you're looking for"

Squires
Jul 10, 2008, 12:47 PM
What time is 2.0 out in the UK tomorrow??

Stardotboy
Jul 10, 2008, 12:50 PM
What time is 2.0 out in the UK tomorrow??

Probably same time as the rest of the world... though you can download and install it now - there's a link on the home page. At least that's what I did.

atomheartmother
Jul 10, 2008, 08:04 PM
At what time will 2.0 for Touches be available (in CST US time)?

wordofbird
Jul 10, 2008, 11:07 PM
Log on to your computer at 8 am tomorrow morning, and plug your iPod in. Install software 2.0.

:rolleyes:

An Apple Store employee told me the 2.0 for iPod touch would be available tomorrow afternoon sometime. Not the same time the 3G launches. Apple could be telling us this to put less strain on the servers, but we shall have to wait and see.

jordskee
Jul 11, 2008, 12:13 AM
Anyone know the time it will be released?
Thanks!!

alchemistmuffin
Jul 11, 2008, 12:40 AM
Tomorrow morning, or afternoon....

Apple is getting ready for tomorrow by setting up more servers to handle increased traffic on iTunes......

PS: IF YOU OWN AN iPhone, YOU MIGHT WANT TO UPDATE THE iPhone AGAIN TOMORROW, THAT ONE HAS SOME FIXES THAT WAS FOUND WITH THE firmware 2.0 that was installed manually.....

velvetelvis
Jul 11, 2008, 12:43 AM
Tomorrow morning, or afternoon....

Apple is getting ready for tomorrow by setting up more servers to handle increased traffic on iTunes......

PS: IF YOU OWN AN iPhone, YOU MIGHT WANT TO UPDATE THE iPhone AGAIN TOMORROW, THAT ONE HAS SOME FIXES THAT WAS FOUND WITH THE firmware 2.0 that was installed manually.....

and you know this how?