PDA

View Full Version : Can I Use My Gift Cards?

Project-79
Jul 10, 2008, 11:09 AM
I have $40 worth of gift cards ($20 x 2). I have redeemed them through iTunes. But, now when I try to buy Super Monkey Ball ($9.99), it says it will be charged through my credit card. How can I use my gift cards?

Thanks in advance!

P-79

UPDATE: OK, I tried buying other things. For music, music videos, movies, and TV shows, it charges through my gift cards. But, for iPod games and Apps, it charges me through my credit card.

Anyone know what the problem is?

P-79

Galley
Jul 10, 2008, 11:14 AM
I was able to use existing funds in my account that came from gift cards.

Project-79
Jul 10, 2008, 11:23 AM
I was able to use existing funds in my account that came from gift cards.

How?

Doodledoo
Jul 10, 2008, 11:26 AM
How?

You should be able to redeem them (iTunes Store -> Quick Links (sidebar) -> Redeem, enter the codes) and then you'll see an amount of money at the top of the window. This is the credit on your account. Then just click "Buy" beside whatever and the gift cards will be subtracted. Keep in mind you also need an iTunes account, which requires a valid credit card

billchase2
Jul 10, 2008, 11:32 AM
awesome! glad to hear!

Project-79
Jul 10, 2008, 11:59 AM
You should be able to redeem them (iTunes Store -> Quick Links (sidebar) -> Redeem, enter the codes) and then you'll see an amount of money at the top of the window. This is the credit on your account. Then just click "Buy" beside whatever and the gift cards will be subtracted. Keep in mind you also need an iTunes account, which requires a valid credit card

I just tried and it was purchased through my credit card. I redeemed them, it has the money on the top right, and I click purchased. What did I do wrong?

P-79

skir0987
Jul 10, 2008, 03:25 PM
Maybe there's an option somewhere in the iTunes Store settings? It worked fine for me with gift cards...

Project-79
Jul 10, 2008, 05:57 PM
OK, I tried buying other things. For music, music videos, movies, and TV shows, it charges through my gift cards. But, for iPod games and Apps, it charges me through my credit card.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks again!

P-79

Project-79
Jul 10, 2008, 06:59 PM
In Support, I found:

What can I buy with an iTunes Gift Card or iTunes Gift Certificate?

iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates can be used to purchase music, videos and audio books from the iTunes Store. At this time, iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates are not accepted for online Apple Store purchases.

Does this mean I can't buy apps and/or iPod games?

limonade
Jul 10, 2008, 07:04 PM
[I]I have $40 worth of gift cards ($20 x 2). I have redeemed them through iTunes. But, now when I try to buy Super Monkey Ball ($9.99), it says it will be charged through my credit card. How can I use my gift cards?

I tried the very same thing, buying Super Monkey Ball with my redeemed gift cards and it didn't work either :O

iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates can be used to purchase music, videos and audio books from the iTunes Store.
Maybe you found it :O. It would be very frustrating then :/...

80s Fan
Jul 10, 2008, 07:08 PM
In Support, I found:

What can I buy with an iTunes Gift Card or iTunes Gift Certificate?

iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates can be used to purchase music, videos and audio books from the iTunes Store. At this time, iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates are not accepted for online Apple Store purchases.

Does this mean I can't buy apps and/or iPod games?

The Online Apple Store would refer to the er, um, Online Apple Store. :D Seriously, I would bet they are talking about Apple's online store that sells Mac's, iPods, software, accessories, etc.; Not the Ap Store through the iTunes Music Store.

So basically, your question remains unanswered.

I too have some $$ on my iTunes Music Store account and have been wondering if I would be able to apply this towards aps.

Project-79
Jul 10, 2008, 09:14 PM
I too have some $$ on my iTunes Music Store account and have been wondering if I would be able to apply this towards aps.

I went out to Wal-Mart just to get these cards for the apps. I am going to be extremely mad if I cannot use them towards apps.

P-79

iunnohead
Jul 10, 2008, 09:22 PM
What I did was this:

1. click your email thing in the top right in the iTunes Store
2. click edit payment information
3. choose none and don't list your credit card

This was how I got around it. :P

Project-79
Jul 10, 2008, 09:30 PM
What I did was this:

1. click your email thing in the top right in the iTunes Store
2. click edit payment information
3. choose none and don't list your credit card

This was how I got around it. :P

Thanks, but where do you find the button "none"

P-79

Project-79
Jul 10, 2008, 10:19 PM
Also, it says that I must give my credit card number.

P-79

alchemistmuffin
Jul 10, 2008, 10:47 PM
No, you CANNOT use your gift cards to buy the apps from the iTunes store, yet....

This is to make sure that the servers in the first few days dosen't crash.....

remember the iTunes server crash of X-mas two years ago?

Too many people redeemed their stuff via gift cards that iTunes server crashed for two days.....

To prevent that from repeating again, first few days of the App store, Apple put a restriction on iTunes gift cards.

I'm sorry to say that for the next few days, according to Apple Rep that I talked to just few min. ago, you will need a credit card for the Apps.

Once the demand for the Apps die down, then Apple will let people redeem their apps via gift cards.

Project-79
Jul 10, 2008, 10:51 PM
No, you CANNOT use your gift cards to buy the apps from the iTunes store, yet....

Too many people redeemed their stuff via gift cards that iTunes server crashed for two days.....

To prevent that from repeating again, first few days of the App store, Apple put a restriction on iTunes gift cards.

I'm sorry to say that for the next few days, according to Apple Rep that I talked to just few min. ago, you will need a credit card for the Apps.

Once the demand for the Apps die down, then Apple will let people redeem their apps via gift cards.

OK, thanks.

That's semi-good news. At least I can eventually use my gift cards!

P-79

macfanboy
Jul 10, 2008, 10:51 PM

I can confirm you can buy apps with itunes cards. maybe there is an unchangable setting in itunes which says

if purchase = game/app, set priority 1 to credit card

i have no credit card in itunes

applefan69
Jul 10, 2008, 11:41 PM
I can confirm you can buy apps with itunes cards. maybe there is an unchangable setting in itunes which says

I have no credit card either just money frm gift cards and this is what im gettin

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/3341/ss8sa6.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ss8sa6.jpg)

alchemistmuffin
Jul 11, 2008, 12:36 AM

SOME, people will be able use iTunes gift card to purchase the apps....

This is to prevent overflow of people from using the gift card to buy the app, since the gift card is what caused the server to crash two years ago....

Some will be able to buy it with gift cards, some not....

Apple's Recommendation: USE CREDIT CARDS!

elistar
Jul 11, 2008, 04:51 PM
I hate not being able to purchase apps!!!!:mad:

Does any of you know when they will let us use our itunes gift cards?

In a week? Few days? Months?

techguy1
Jul 11, 2008, 05:02 PM
Been using my gift card $'s to buy all my apps for the last couple of days in the US store and I live in London :D

Eärendil
Jul 11, 2008, 07:34 PM
I live in Mexico and I bought a 25 $$ card.

Made a US account.... bought Super Monkey Ball.

Waiting for the iPod Touch crash to be fixed.

Then I will buy Red Sky EP by thrice. (all songs but For Miles, not that I don't like it, but I can't afford all the EP).

: )

Project-79
Jul 11, 2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

(posting from my brand new iPhone! Woo!)

P-79

Galley
Jul 11, 2008, 10:01 PM
I was able to add funds with another gift card to buy Bejeweled 2. :)

DsurioN
Jul 11, 2008, 11:38 PM
Damn... I'm still being asked to add a credit card. I hope this resolves itself soon!

elistar
Jul 12, 2008, 03:55 PM
How were some people able to use their itunes card? I was saving up to buy some apps but now i can't, I have to use a credit card!

sirpaul
Jul 12, 2008, 04:01 PM
I bought a $20 dollar gift card today from bestbuy just to be able to buy the new 2.0 update, but seems they don't let you do it in Canada. Hope they make it work soon, I really want it.

Project-79
Jul 12, 2008, 04:11 PM
Bad news everybody (e-mail I received today from Apple Support):

Dear *******,

Greeting from the iTunes customer support team. Im Curtis and I will be assisting you with your problem. I understand that you are trying to purchase in the Apps store using your store credit.

It seems that canadian customers will not be able to purchase games or applications with store credit or an iTunes Gift Card in Canada. Customers residing in Canada may only purchase games and applications using a credit card.

I have also submitted this item for investigation. Apple will investigate the problem with this issue, but I can't say when or if the issue will be resolved. Please try again in a few weeks.

I do hope this information has been helpful to you. If there are any further questions or concerns about this matter please don’t hesitate to reply to this email and let me know. Thank you for choosing the iTunes Support Store. We do appreciate your business.

Warmest Regards,

Curtis
iTunes Store Customer Support
Sun., Mon., Wednes., Thurs. and Fri. (10am-7pm) California
www.apple.com/iTunes/ww

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Customer First Name : *******
Customer Last Name : *******
email : *******
Web Order # :
Support Subject : Gift Card/Certificate
Sub Issue : Other
iTunes Account Name: *******
Platform : Windows XPSP2
Comments: I cannot use my gift cards to purchase apps for the iPhone. How can I use my gift cards to be used towards apps?

Thank You

WHHHHHYYYYYYY?!?!?!

P-79

03sho
Jul 12, 2008, 04:23 PM
Hmmm this is very weird.

I purchased a £25 gift card today.
Put it into my account and bought crash bandicoot on the app store via itunes no problem and I bought etcha skecth and monkey ball from the app store via the iphone no probs using a gift card

Maybe its because I'm from the UK?

mark10197
Jul 12, 2008, 05:00 PM
Yesterday I redeemed a $15 gift card and I purchased the software update and I bought trisim. I have a credit card information on file though; but it didn't charge my bank account. Im in the US if it helps.

03sho
Jul 12, 2008, 05:21 PM
Hmmm this is very weird.

I purchased a £25 gift card today.
Put it into my account and bought crash bandicoot on the app store via itunes no problem and I bought etcha skecth and monkey ball from the app store via the iphone no probs using a gift card

Maybe its because I'm from the UK?

Oh, I've got NO credit card info on my account.

Project-79
Jul 12, 2008, 05:45 PM
Oh, I've got NO credit card info on my account.

As do I. I wonder why only Canadians can't use their gift cards. Very strange...

P-79

sirpaul
Jul 12, 2008, 06:04 PM
:( I'm getting very irritated about this. I biked 1 hour to best buy in the rain just so I could enjoy some of the apps I downloaded, then I find out I can't even use gift cards. Hope they get this fixed up some time soon. Is Canada the only country that can't use cards???

LeahM
Jul 12, 2008, 07:09 PM
Just buy a disposable credit card

sirpaul
Jul 12, 2008, 09:54 PM
If any of you manage to buy with a gift card later on post it on here so everyone will know when problem is fixed.

DsurioN
Jul 13, 2008, 09:48 PM
Seems it's beyond Apple's control, here's the explanation I got:

Dear Mattias,

Thank you for contacting Apple about the App Store. We're so glad you're interested in this new offering.

I'm sorry, but you will not be able to purchase games or applications with store credit or an iTunes Gift Card in Canada. Due to tax laws and commerce restrictions for software in Canada, customers residing in Canada may only purchase games and applications using a credit card.

If you have any other concerns surrounding this, feel free to include them in your reply and I'll do my best to assist you.

I hope the information was helpful and that you continue to enjoy the iTunes Store.
Movies, TV Shows, iTunes U, App Store, Music, iPod Games, Music Videos, Audiobooks, Pixar Short Films, and Podcasts all available at the iTunes Store.

Sincerely,

Morgana

Please Note: I work T-Sa, 12-9PM CT

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated.

wolfshades
Jul 13, 2008, 11:26 PM
Seems it's beyond Apple's control, here's the explanation I got:Dear Mattias,

Thank you for contacting Apple about the App Store. We're so glad you're interested in this new offering.

I'm sorry, but you will not be able to purchase games or applications with store credit or an iTunes Gift Card in Canada. Due to tax laws and commerce restrictions for software in Canada, customers residing in Canada may only purchase games and applications using a credit card.

If you have any other concerns surrounding this, feel free to include them in your reply and I'll do my best to assist you.

I hope the information was helpful and that you continue to enjoy the iTunes Store.
Movies, TV Shows, iTunes U, App Store, Music, iPod Games, Music Videos, Audiobooks, Pixar Short Films, and Podcasts all available at the iTunes Store.

Sincerely,

Morgana

Please Note: I work T-Sa, 12-9PM CT

No. Sorry. That's bogus. It was possible before the iPhone 3G was released to buy games for the iPod - that logic doesn't wash here.

Someone earlier mentioned there was a load problem with the servers some time ago. Hopefully they get that fixed soon. I want to play some games damn it. :)

DsurioN
Jul 14, 2008, 08:17 AM
No. Sorry. That's bogus. It was possible before the iPhone 3G was released to buy games for the iPod - that logic doesn't wash here.

Someone earlier mentioned there was a load problem with the servers some time ago. Hopefully they get that fixed soon. I want to play some games damn it. :)

I certainly hope you're right!

sirpaul
Jul 14, 2008, 10:00 AM
I didn't bother waiting for any changes. I downloaded the leaked file, and it works perfectly! If they decide to change it so we can use gift cards later, I would be happy to buy the update. If not, too bad!

DsurioN
Jul 14, 2008, 04:31 PM
I didn't bother waiting for any changes. I downloaded the leaked file, and it works perfectly! If they decide to change it so we can use gift cards later, I would be happy to buy the update. If not, too bad!

Yeah, I did the same thing here - except I still want to buy Super Monkey Ball :rolleyes:

jincongz
Jul 17, 2008, 09:05 AM
Just buy a disposable credit card

Only thing... the only disposable credit card here comes from MuchMusic...

wolfshades
Jul 17, 2008, 01:12 PM
Whoever said Canadians couldn't buy apps with gift cards and only with credit cards because of Canada's tax laws was correct, and I was wrong.

Here's what I got from Apple:

Thank you for your reply, and I can understand that this is very frustrating as to why store credit cannot be used for purchasing from the Apps store. I also see that you would like to talk to a manager about this. I consulted a manager, as management is aware of all of this. The answer to your question as to why store credit cannot be used is because of the Canadian government. There are regulations on how money can be spent in each country, they suggested that you please contact your government and I am sure that they will have the answer for you.

They have put restrictions on us and so we have to apply to each country as instructed. I hope that makes sense, and that you are able to more answers from them.

LeahM
Jul 17, 2008, 01:16 PM
Only thing... the only disposable credit card here comes from MuchMusic...

At some Shoppers Drugmarts they have $100 Mastercard Gift Cards... again though, only some. My local one here doesn't have them but I was in a major city and they had them there.

Tara Luvs Apple
Jul 17, 2008, 01:36 PM
I do not understand why people are going out and buying themselves gift cards to purchase iTunes stuff with (specifically applications)? If it is your money, then what is the problem with using a credit card? I have my bank card on file with iTunes and that is what I use to purchase stuff. So there is really no need for an actual credit card.

LeahM
Jul 17, 2008, 02:16 PM
I do not understand why people are going out and buying themselves gift cards to purchase iTunes stuff with (specifically applications)? If it is your money, then what is the problem with using a credit card? I have my bank card on file with iTunes and that is what I use to purchase stuff. So there is really no need for an actual credit card.

I don't have a credit card, I really have no need for one, I prefer to pay with my bank card (debit) which if you live in Canada is accepted mostly anywhere. Plus its not like in the US where you get a Visa Check card where your visa and bank account are intertwined.

hyperfeet77
Mar 21, 2012, 11:55 AM
Same problem. So I contacted apple with this question:

My main iTunes account has credit (because I've redeemed gift cards on it) but when I try to purchase anything in the store, it asks for a credit card.

I have another iTunes account that has credit and a credit card, and anytime I buy anything, it bills my credit card.

How do I purchase using the iTunes credit that is on my account? I don't want anything billed to my credit card, so I just haven't been buying anything on iTunes. But there are some apps for my iPod Touch that I'd really like to be able to purchase.

Thanks!

And received this reply:

...I understand that you are asked for billing information even though you have store credit. I can certainly appreciate you would like some assistance, and I would be more than happy to help you out with this today.

I'm sorry you weren't able to make a purchase using your store credit. To purchase items on the iTunes Store with your store credit, your account information in your user profile needs to be corrected. I'll walk you through this process to get you back up and running in no time.

1) Visit the My Apple ID website at:

http://appleid.apple.com

2) If the site is not displayed in your preferred language, click the Change Language link in the upper-right corner, type the name of your language in the field that appears, then click the Save button.

3) Click the "Manage your account" link.

4) Type your iTunes Store account name (which is your Apple ID) in the Apple ID field, type your password in the password field, then click the Sign In button.

5) Click "Addresses" in the column on the left. If you have multiple shipping addresses, remove any out-of-date or duplicate addresses by clicking Delete. Also, make sure the state or province field is filled out correctly for each address. To edit an address, click Edit. Edit all of your shipping addresses and make sure the appropriate state is selected in the State drop-down menus.

6) Now click "Phone Numbers" on the left. The area codes should be in the area code fields and the phone numbers should be in the phone number fields. If an area code is missing, or if it is in a phone number field, your account information may not save properly.

7) Make any other necessary corrections, then click the Save Changes button.

8) Click Log out in the upper-right corner.

When you make your next purchase on the iTunes Store, you will be asked to review your billing information. At this point, you can change your information or simply click Done at the bottom of the screen to proceed. Once you click Done, you should be able to purchase on the iTunes Store using your store credit.

And it worked the next time I bought an app on my iPod Touch! It was weird that it had my "Primary Address" and "Shipping Address" - though they were the same, I deleted my shipping address, and moved my "evening" phone into the "mobile" phone section, hit save, and problem solved. Weird that it was an address thing (I'm assuming) - perhaps the multiple addresses confused the billing process. It didn't ask to review my billing info when I bought something, but it used my store credit. Yay!

Hope this helps!

Philipppa
Mar 23, 2012, 01:25 AM
This post is too old, and i found it was posted on 2008 year.