Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
I have $40 worth of gift cards ($20 x 2). I have redeemed them through iTunes. But, now when I try to buy Super Monkey Ball ($9.99), it says it will be charged through my credit card. How can I use my gift cards?

Thanks in advance!

P-79

UPDATE: OK, I tried buying other things. For music, music videos, movies, and TV shows, it charges through my gift cards. But, for iPod games and Apps, it charges me through my credit card.

Anyone know what the problem is?

P-79

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
I was able to use existing funds in my account that came from gift cards.

Doodledoo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008

You should be able to redeem them (iTunes Store -> Quick Links (sidebar) -> Redeem, enter the codes) and then you'll see an amount of money at the top of the window. This is the credit on your account. Then just click "Buy" beside whatever and the gift cards will be subtracted. Keep in mind you also need an iTunes account, which requires a valid credit card

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
You should be able to redeem them (iTunes Store -> Quick Links (sidebar) -> Redeem, enter the codes) and then you'll see an amount of money at the top of the window. This is the credit on your account. Then just click "Buy" beside whatever and the gift cards will be subtracted. Keep in mind you also need an iTunes account, which requires a valid credit card

I just tried and it was purchased through my credit card. I redeemed them, it has the money on the top right, and I click purchased. What did I do wrong?

P-79

skir0987

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
Maybe there's an option somewhere in the iTunes Store settings? It worked fine for me with gift cards...

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
OK, I tried buying other things. For music, music videos, movies, and TV shows, it charges through my gift cards. But, for iPod games and Apps, it charges me through my credit card.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks again!

P-79

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
In Support, I found:

What can I buy with an iTunes Gift Card or iTunes Gift Certificate?

iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates can be used to purchase music, videos and audio books from the iTunes Store. At this time, iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates are not accepted for online Apple Store purchases.

Does this mean I can't buy apps and/or iPod games?

limonade

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have $40 worth of gift cards ($20 x 2). I have redeemed them through iTunes. But, now when I try to buy Super Monkey Ball ($9.99), it says it will be charged through my credit card. How can I use my gift cards?

I tried the very same thing, buying Super Monkey Ball with my redeemed gift cards and it didn't work either :O

iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates can be used to purchase music, videos and audio books from the iTunes Store.
Maybe you found it :O. It would be very frustrating then :/...

80s Fan

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
In Support, I found:

What can I buy with an iTunes Gift Card or iTunes Gift Certificate?

iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates can be used to purchase music, videos and audio books from the iTunes Store. At this time, iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates are not accepted for online Apple Store purchases.

Does this mean I can't buy apps and/or iPod games?

The Online Apple Store would refer to the er, um, Online Apple Store. :D Seriously, I would bet they are talking about Apple's online store that sells Mac's, iPods, software, accessories, etc.; Not the Ap Store through the iTunes Music Store.

So basically, your question remains unanswered.

I too have some $$ on my iTunes Music Store account and have been wondering if I would be able to apply this towards aps.

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
I too have some $$ on my iTunes Music Store account and have been wondering if I would be able to apply this towards aps.

I went out to Wal-Mart just to get these cards for the apps. I am going to be extremely mad if I cannot use them towards apps.

P-79

iunnohead

macrumors regular
May 10, 2008
What I did was this:

1. click your email thing in the top right in the iTunes Store
2. click edit payment information
3. choose none and don't list your credit card

This was how I got around it. :p

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
What I did was this:

1. click your email thing in the top right in the iTunes Store
2. click edit payment information
3. choose none and don't list your credit card

This was how I got around it. :p

Thanks, but where do you find the button "none"

P-79

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
No, you CANNOT use your gift cards to buy the apps from the iTunes store, yet....

This is to make sure that the servers in the first few days dosen't crash.....

remember the iTunes server crash of X-mas two years ago?

Too many people redeemed their stuff via gift cards that iTunes server crashed for two days.....

To prevent that from repeating again, first few days of the App store, Apple put a restriction on iTunes gift cards.

I'm sorry to say that for the next few days, according to Apple Rep that I talked to just few min. ago, you will need a credit card for the Apps.

Once the demand for the Apps die down, then Apple will let people redeem their apps via gift cards.

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
No, you CANNOT use your gift cards to buy the apps from the iTunes store, yet....

Too many people redeemed their stuff via gift cards that iTunes server crashed for two days.....

To prevent that from repeating again, first few days of the App store, Apple put a restriction on iTunes gift cards.

I'm sorry to say that for the next few days, according to Apple Rep that I talked to just few min. ago, you will need a credit card for the Apps.

Once the demand for the Apps die down, then Apple will let people redeem their apps via gift cards.

OK, thanks.

That's semi-good news. At least I can eventually use my gift cards!

P-79

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007

I can confirm you can buy apps with itunes cards. maybe there is an unchangable setting in itunes which says

if purchase = game/app, set priority 1 to credit card

i have no credit card in itunes

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
I can confirm you can buy apps with itunes cards. maybe there is an unchangable setting in itunes which says

I have no credit card either just money frm gift cards and this is what im gettin

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007

SOME, people will be able use iTunes gift card to purchase the apps....

This is to prevent overflow of people from using the gift card to buy the app, since the gift card is what caused the server to crash two years ago....

Some will be able to buy it with gift cards, some not....

Apple's Recommendation: USE CREDIT CARDS!

elistar

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
I hate not being able to purchase apps!!!!:mad:

Does any of you know when they will let us use our itunes gift cards?

In a week? Few days? Months?

techguy1

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
London
Been using my gift card $'s to buy all my apps for the last couple of days in the US store and I live in London :D

E

Eärendil

I live in Mexico and I bought a 25 $$ card.

Made a US account.... bought Super Monkey Ball.

Waiting for the iPod Touch crash to be fixed.

Then I will buy Red Sky EP by thrice. (all songs but For Miles, not that I don't like it, but I can't afford all the EP).

: )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.