Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

showtime

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2007
For those who have 2.0 and the AIM app, does your connection stay alive when the phone is on sleep or does it have to reconnect when unlock the phone?

gazzzmoly

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
For those who have 2.0 and the AIM app, does your connection stay alive when the phone is on sleep or does it have to reconnect when unlock the phone?

looks like it keeps the connection alive but it doesn't push messages

it stores them until you next go into aim and notifies you then only it seems to have a bug in which messages received whilst not in aim appear blank well on my iphone anyway.

ChrisSamsa

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2007
looks like it keeps the connection alive but it doesn't push messages

it stores them until you next go into aim and notifies you then only it seems to have a bug in which messages received whilst not in aim appear blank well on my iphone anyway.

I've got the same bug with the blank messages. Should be an easy fix and get done soon, i'd think.

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
i use Trillian on my desktop for AIM chat. When I'm "offline" and get a message, upon return i'm told that I got an offline message, but I don't see the actual message.

I have a feeling that if the AIM iPhone app is not "active," you will not be able to get any messages. I could be wrong - anyone have it running that can say otherwise ?

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Did anyone watch the WWDC Keynote? Apple is rolling out their Push Notification Service I believe in Sept. This will allow devs to utlize a constant connection to their app (like AOL) so you get pop-up messages like you do for SMS. Or they can have the App make a sound, etc.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I don't know since I use ICQ with it, and it is better than Meebo or Jive, because you do retrieve all your messages as soon as you go back into Aim.

You don't lose any messages when your phone is doing something else or asleep.

I have specifically tested this.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
if you keep the app open and put your phone to sleep, it still vibrates and makes the message sound, notifying you of new messages.

terrrrrible

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Did anyone watch the WWDC Keynote? Apple is rolling out their Push Notification Service I believe in Sept. This will allow devs to utlize a constant connection to their app (like AOL) so you get pop-up messages like you do for SMS. Or they can have the App make a sound, etc.

Yeah... September... Apple really should have had it ready for the 2.0 launch. Every phone nowadays is able to do this, but the iPhone can't.

I also find it a little lame that Twitterrific doesn't update while you aren't in the app either. Might as well just go back to using text message notifications.

terrrrrible

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
if you keep the app open and put your phone to sleep, it still vibrates and makes the message sound, notifying you of new messages.

I'll try this.. reporting back in 5 minutes. If this works, the 15 minute thing is still a little annoying.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
AIM does not keep the connection. It's not allowed. That would be background application (besides, then all your calls would be sent to voicemail if you're on the first iPhone).

Instead, AIM keeps you logged on (in terms of their server). Messages received are queued up. As soon as you restore the connection by tapping AIM, the messages are sent to you.

terrrrrible

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
AIM does not keep the connection. It's not allowed. That would be background application (besides, then all your calls would be sent to voicemail if you're on the first iPhone).

Instead, AIM keeps you logged on (in terms of their server). Messages received are queued up. As soon as you restore the connection by tapping AIM, the messages are sent to you.

It doesn't seem to be working that way though, because after 5 minutes you get COMPLETELY logged off. I'm not able to send a message to the SN that's logged on my phone / it shows me as being offline. Yes, when you open the app it will immediately reconnect you, but you won't have any messages waiting.

Alright so having the AIM be the last app open before you put the phone to "sleep" seems to be working. Been logged in for 9 minutes without being disconnected. I sent myself an IM though, and when I went back into the app it wasn't there. Still have to wait on the PUSH to go through I guess.

ebrunn

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
It doesn't seem to be working that way though, because after 5 minutes you get COMPLETELY logged off. I'm not able to send a message to the SN that's logged on my phone / it shows me as being offline. Yes, when you open the app it will immediately reconnect you, but you won't have any messages waiting.

Alright so having the AIM be the last app open before you put the phone to "sleep" seems to be working. Been logged in for 9 minutes without being disconnected. I sent myself an IM though, and when I went back into the app it wasn't there. Still have to wait on the PUSH to go through I guess.

Intill we get the push setup, I bet there doing it like that so it dosent drain your battery.

terrrrrible

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Closed the app after 21 minutes of being logged in, logged out at 26 minutes.

Going to log it back in, keep the app open but put the phone to sleep, send an IM and see how long it takes to be notified.

Interesting, received an IM right away.

Going to try putting an away message up, but closing the app, and see if I get logged out. Logged out after 5 minutes.

So it looks like keeping the application open is the way to go for now.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Yeah... September... Apple really should have had it ready for the 2.0 launch. Every phone nowadays is able to do this, but the iPhone can't.

I also find it a little lame that Twitterrific doesn't update while you aren't in the app either. Might as well just go back to using text message notifications.

Might as well get a crappy Windows Mobile phone if you want background processes. Watch the Keynote, I love the way Apple protrayed WM devices vs. their new Push Notification service. It was AOL's decision to push out IM before the service was ready, not Apple's.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007

You are absolutely wrong.

I have a blackberry curve right now and I have Jive Talk. It stays connected 24/7 and my calls come in. It just takes non-lazy development and some serious engineering.

Apple has gimped developers with no real way of maintaining a connection, which is even possible on (EDGE). Here is hoping for september.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Might as well get a crappy Windows Mobile phone if you want background processes. Watch the Keynote, I love the way Apple protrayed WM devices vs. their new Push Notification service. It was AOL's decision to push out IM before the service was ready, not Apple's.

Lol.

Right.. AOL did everything it could with the limited scope given by Apple. You've got to be kidding to blame AOL for this when it clearly was Apple's misgivings.

Steve Jobs should of had third party support with a good SDK from the get go. Obviously he backtracked on the Webapps 6 months into the First gen launch.

shanew21

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
yeah, it's going to be like this until the push service comes out, but I expect it to work flawlessly after that. Remember, updates ad patches are also a KEY part of the new iPhone apps.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
yeah, it's going to be like this until the push service comes out, but I expect it to work flawlessly after that. Remember, updates ad patches are also a KEY part of the new iPhone apps.

True.

I definitely look forward to Apple's push system. It's going to make everything so much better, crazy better. Just wished it was here on day 1. :(

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
When is Apple's push service going to be intact? Do you guys mean the MobileMe?

No no.

You see Apple right now only allows developers to keep an application open just as long as you have the application running. Once you close AIM, right now, it closes. When you re open the application, AIM acts like you never closed it but it polls the AOL Server for any messages you received and delivers it to your phone. It also uses this time to update your connection to AIM (Hence if you're out of AIM for 5 mins, it logs you off because there is no connection).

Problem with this, is this is so 1999. Every other phone developer has had the ability to continuously check the connection even when the application is not active. Apple is making a system that supposedly will make for longer battery life with this "Push system". It's basically a middle man between the application server (AOL SERVER) and your iphone.

AOL SERVER ----- APPLE PUSH SYSTEM ------- IPHONE.

This push system allows AOL to send you msgs even when your not in the application.

Zanevalon

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
My Question is, why doesnt it work like AIM on a sidekick??? its stupid to get logged out every 5 minutes and then not get any IMs that were queued up. :mad:

terrrrrible

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
I kind of had a thought about something, but it's probably just wishful thinking. Since 2.0 isn't actually out yet, maybe there is something on AOL's side that has to be done to allow screen names to stay connected, and this switch will get flipped tomorrow. Then it would really work as if you would receive messages when you go back into AIM.

(I just have to laugh right now though because I am having problems getting the AIM application to run, it keeps crashing 5 seconds after I open it.)

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
No it won't work until September when the push system is implemented. And as for why it won't work now, watch the keynote. Apple clearly explained why they won't let an app run in the background: it destroys you processor speed while its running and driand your battery charge. Watch the WWDC Keynote, they even make a joke of the current system running on other phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.