Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dork420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
Hello all

I am about to pull the trigger on a Dslr and plan on shooting raw.
I am currently running Tiger on a iMac Core Duo with 2gig ram.

When looking at the Aperture 2 specs it says:
Leveraging the next-generation RAW image processing in Mac OS X Leopard, Aperture 2 delivers images of astounding quality, offering superb color fidelity, increased shadow detail, reduced noise, and advanced highlight recovery. Realize the very best results from every image by applying new RAW Fine Tuning controls, adjusting RAW rendering on an image-by-image basis.

Am I really at a disadvantage by still running Tiger or what? Are we just splitting hairs or is this a major advancement with Leopard?

If I run Aperture 2 and/or iPhoto 08 which both have the RAW conversion capabilities for the new Canon XSI what am I missing by using these programs with Tiger.

In the words of Vinnie Babarino : "I'm so confused!"

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It's simple: Aperture 2.1 runs on both Tiger and Leopard. But if you run it on Leopard it will use the newer version 2.1 RAW engine. If you have Tiger it can use only the 1.1 or 1.0 engines. (Aperture let's you select which to use, but the 2.1 option will not be available in Tiger)

Later when you upgrade to Leopard Aperture can optionally re-process everything using the new raw conversion engine. If you look at the same photo processed with both engines side by side the new engine does make a less grainy and sharper picture but you need to zoom in the the 100% scale to see this. In normal size 4x6 prints and screen resolutions it hardly maters.

But then you might want to look at the list of cameras that are supported. If your camera was released after the 2.1 engine came out then it will be supported only by the new engine and not the old one. Many Nikon D300 users were forced to upgrade to leopard.

You really can not blame Apple if their old software does not support a new camera that was released after the software.

dork420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
well by the looks of it the XSI RAW conversion is supported on Tiger 10.4.11
http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

I will want to print 8X10 or maybe even a bit bigger so I'm still not sure.

Just so I'm clear. When I import a RAW image the conversion Aperture performs involves metadata where the original RAW is still the pure image from the camera. I would still be able to let say copy a RAW image from Aperture into CS3 or any other RAW converting program and they will also perform THEIR conversion from the ORIGINAL RAW file rather than what Aperture converted?
Does that make sense?
THanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.